Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Feb 2016, 22:42 (Ref:3612877)   #2051
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the interests of the events future, i don't agree with going for "all-pro" line-ups

It might be good for two or three years, but what happens if the bubble bursts on GT3 racing, like what happened with Super Touring? Who would have believed in 1996/97 that Super Touring would be effectively wiped out by the end of 1999?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
The long green flag run is what caused me to rate it high, especially the one to the finish, longest we have had since the original one,
I recall the 2012 race went caution-free for the last 4 or so hours of the race, so not the longest run home we've had since the race went to GT3.
Old 7 Feb 2016, 23:04 (Ref:3612881)   #2052
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
In the interests of the events future, i don't agree with going for "all-pro" line-ups

It might be good for two or three years, but what happens if the bubble bursts on GT3 racing, like what happened with Super Touring? Who would have believed in 1996/97 that Super Touring would be effectively wiped out by the end of 1999?

I recall the 2012 race went caution-free for the last 4 or so hours of the race, so not the longest run home we've had since the race went to GT3.
Originally my thought was its a good move, but then I thought about it more and changed my mind. It is good for the race, but with our GT series being far from all "pros" it would cause issues for many of the Australian teams.

Already i think we see that, in the original years many of our local GT teams were in the hunt for an out right win, but now they are being blown away by the international supported teams as they step back into AA class. might change next year with all the new cars coming on line, but not if we go all pro

Good point on 2012, sort of forget about it due to the wet finish and it not being close
Old 8 Feb 2016, 00:50 (Ref:3612915)   #2053
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

With the shift to online webcasting, the 12 hour organisers might consider a 2 hour production pro/ am race on the Saturday, that can be webcast.
It would might keep a pool of older cars going for when the GTs are not shipped in or left in the workshop because of changes in the boardroom or economics etc.
What is the budget difference for the old production cars (EVO, WRXetc) vs a GT3 team for a Bathurst12hour weekend at Mt Panorama?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 02:59 (Ref:3612948)   #2054
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few thoughts on this year's race
#Less safety cars made for a better race.However I am not convinced that a 50 car field would necessarily lead to safety cars increasing.At the circuit the smaller numbers were really noticed particularly in the last third of the race.I hope next year we are back to a 50 car field.
#More Euro and Asian teams in 2017.It felt a lot less international than the last 3 years.
#V8 Supercars were careful not to change the ambience of the event.Crowd numbers were up by a reported 15% which was actually the smallest percentage year on year increase since the race went GT3.This suggests this increase would have happened anyway.The test will be what happens in 2017 with regards to
1Spectator costs(Admission,camping,mountain access,paddock)
2TV coverage.Will they think it important the live telecast is available to 100% of households or will the extra money they can make from it only being available to 30% of households be the deciding factor.If they want the event to find new audience the former is obviously preferable.
3Media coverage.From the Radio Le Mans team to the editorial team producing the program what they have now is superior for this race to the people they use for V8's.The old Chevron people they used for the program would actually do a far surperior job on their V8 publications than the all layout and no editorial substance Auto Action people they use now.
Kudos to the organisers for ensuring such smooth access to the top of the mountain for race start.This was a fiasco for Qualifying on Saturday and the start of the race last year.They must have had a rethink after Saturday and came up with an efficient system.
A great event as always.Finally and almost unbelievably there was not a single safety car or red flag across the 7 support races!
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:00 (Ref:3612949)   #2055
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just watching a replay of the race and they mentioned that the GT3 cars are hitting about 285 kph down Conrod straight, can anyone tell me how accurate that is and how close to max RPM are the cars getting? Scudd?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:18 (Ref:3612955)   #2056
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
A few thoughts on this year's race
#Less safety cars made for a better race.However I am not convinced that a 50 car field would necessarily lead to safety cars increasing.At the circuit the smaller numbers were really noticed particularly in the last third of the race.I hope next year we are back to a 50 car field.
Just my opinion, but there must have been 11 or 12 safety car periods yesterday compared to the 20 from last year...

11 or 12 is still a hell of a lot of safety car stoppages and ruins the natural flow of things (i did enjoy the long run home though)

If the reduction in numbers had resulted in say, 4 or 5 safety car periods across 12hrs, then i think some people would have made a point.... having the amount of safety cars we did from just 36 starters i think shows that big grids does make alot of a difference.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:19 (Ref:3612956)   #2057
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
How long before someone does a sub two minute lap?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:22 (Ref:3612958)   #2058
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally brickbats to the Sector Marshall at Skyline (moustache,sunglasses)who for the first several hours of the race and for extended periods later in the day stood watching the cars go past making sure he was blocking the view of the screen and the circuit for that matter for about 20 people.There were lots of options near the posts for advertising signs and brick gates that were used by people relieving him and even by him when the day got hotter.People were waving at him to move and even calling out to him but he was too busy maximising his enjoyment without consideration to anyone else.As the day went on his return was greeted by groans from people in the area.
Reluctant to criticise volunteers but this person should realise it is not all about him.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:42 (Ref:3612965)   #2059
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Button & Lowndes in the F1 car have done less than 2 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4XVF3jJL5Q

GT3 Bathurst lap of less than 2 minutes probably in the next two years. Depends if the car speed increases before the new track surface 'wears'.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:43 (Ref:3612967)   #2060
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Its only maths but based on this years increase it will be 2018.

Still we might find that there is an attempt to slow these vehicles down as that is getting quick, also Not all the cars reached the speed, most were a fair way off, so maybe BOP will come to play
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:59 (Ref:3612976)   #2061
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a good weekend, but thought last years race, and overall experience was better.

The bad:
- RIDICULOUS queue to get up the mountain just before qualifying. Cars were turning one line of traffic into 3 lines in an effort to get through. ONE security bloke checking everyone through was ludicrous, and that bloke is clearly no good under pressure. If you're gunna charge cars to get to the top, at least have the logistics to improve traffic flow, not make it worse.
- The numb nut security bloke making people take down the umbrellas they were using to avoid sunburn at the front of the Rydges yesterday. ABSOLUTELY craziness. Every year the security from the Rydges finds a new way to make dicks of themselves, this year was no exception.
- No car access to Hell Corner. No biggie but a shame.
- Having to walk a kilometre to get to the inside of Hell Corner because the gates near the final pit garage remained locked.
- Smaller field was noticeable, particularly after a few drop outs early.
- Surely the rep pack BMW has had its day.
- The presentation of many cars in the support races border on farcical.

The Good:
- The best natured crowd still exists. Far better than any 1000.
- Driving standards seemed way better this year.
- Watching the Audis coming through the Esses becomes mesmerising, so fast.
- The Thursday evening pit lane access was still in existence. A great way to start the event watching pit practice, checking out new paintschemes etc
- A far better range of food available including the pop up Maccas.
- At $90 for three days including pit access, its still good value.
- Reading some of the graffiti in the toilets at the top of the mountain was highly entertaining, including some great riffs about a certain ten tenths poster.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:04 (Ref:3612978)   #2062
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back from the 12 hour and a very enjoyable event it was.
Didn't start well with the drama's to get up to the top of the mountain, however it sounds like they got it sorted by Sunday (I was in extremely early on Sat/Sun, so i didn't have to deal with it)
The crowds were noticebly up and added to the atmosphere.
I heard that the marquees weren't taken down overnight by security as they threatened to do, however some were vandalised.
As per usual the access to the drivers is brilliant.
As Alan52 said, the support categories hardly had a yellow over the 2 days and were very entertaining.
Great to catch up with all of my fellow Tenthers.
To many things to discuss for a 12 hour race, so a deserving win by the #59 and well done Scud.

Last edited by Reload; 8 Feb 2016 at 04:10.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:21 (Ref:3612979)   #2063
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I had a good weekend, but thought last years race, and overall experience was better.

The bad:
- RIDICULOUS queue to get up the mountain just before qualifying. Cars were turning one line of traffic into 3 lines in an effort to get through. ONE security bloke checking everyone through was ludicrous, and that bloke is clearly no good under pressure. If you're gunna charge cars to get to the top, at least have the logistics to improve traffic flow, not make it worse.
- The numb nut security bloke making people take down the umbrellas they were using to avoid sunburn at the front of the Rydges yesterday. ABSOLUTELY craziness. Every year the security from the Rydges finds a new way to make dicks of themselves, this year was no exception.
- No car access to Hell Corner. No biggie but a shame.
- Having to walk a kilometre to get to the inside of Hell Corner because the gates near the final pit garage remained locked.
- Smaller field was noticeable, particularly after a few drop outs early.
- Surely the rep pack BMW has had its day.
- The presentation of many cars in the support races border on farcical.

The Good:
- The Thursday evening pit lane access was still in existence. A great way to start the event watching pit practice, checking out new paintschemes etc
- Reading some of the graffiti in the toilets at the top of the mountain was highly entertaining, including some great riffs about a certain ten tenths poster.
Regarding your last point, I was told of this also and I swear on my kids lives that it wasn't me.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:23 (Ref:3612980)   #2064
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest who was the Clerk of Course & Safety Car Drivers ?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:38 (Ref:3612983)   #2065
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
Just out of interest who was the Clerk of Course & Safety Car Drivers ?
Michael Hancock was the CoC.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:40 (Ref:3612984)   #2066
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

The Good:
To be clear, good natured crowd but some took time out to write graffiti about ten tenths posters which you found entertaining. Sounds like there were some A holes there and on ten tenths.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:45 (Ref:3612986)   #2067
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wasn't fresh graffiti Peck, that was for sure.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:56 (Ref:3612988)   #2068
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 2c....

3rd time for me,
* will evaluate next year to see what V8SC does with camping \ ticket prices. anything more than a 10 - 15 % increase and there will be 2 spare camp grounds available.
* was great to have a sub 40 degree event for a change although the weather on Friday was kinda taking the ****!
* loved the race, thought it was as good as last year, perhaps not as good as 2014.
* great atmosphere and friendly punters, even a fair few near us from across the Tasman.
* thought the supports were good and i didn't need to watch some dude on a bike with spikes on his helmet do wheelies and burnouts which while entertaining for 5 minutes gets a little old... then again i may just be showing how long its been since ive been to a V8SC round!
* one thing id like to see changed is not allowing cars into the viewing area at the chase. Marquees i can tolerate but the cars should be left in the car park. im sure this opinion will be unpopular with many.
* access to the drivers and pits was great, but didn't venture to the top of the mountain this year. due to it not being 100% clear what was involved. freinds i was with went and loved it.
* TV coverage was good but can we tone it down a little please on the commentary?
* little bit sad there was no entertaining graf in our toilets....
* a big screen at the chase would be welcome.

overall had a great time now just need to catch up on a lot of sleep!
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:06 (Ref:3612991)   #2069
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, a big screen opposite The Chase would be great.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:09 (Ref:3612992)   #2070
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It wasn't fresh graffiti Peck, that was for sure.

Yeah it definitely wasn't fresh, going by the faded ink, it wasn't the doing of someone on the weekend. Was certainly a surprise to see it when I looked up at the walls I was boxed in by. Wasn't my doing btw.

Had an awesome weekend. Will post more of my thoughts after work. It's a shame I had to leave early but that said my boss was pretty happy to see me on deck this morning so made the right decision.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:12 (Ref:3612993)   #2071
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Good to see news corp papers get on board this year.

They ran a live blog during the race as well as hourly updates and a decent write up post race as well as after qual and friday and even on thursday

also this from SMH

V8 Supercars plans week-long festival for Bathurst 12 Hour
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:23 (Ref:3612995)   #2072
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I stayed up in the UK and watched every single minute, and with each year, this event goes further and further up my bucket list.

From an international perspective, the superb commentary team helps hugely. At the Bathurst 1000 for example, we just get the Aussie TV commentary feed, and when it's so obviously meant for a specific audience, it feels like you're at a wedding where you barely know the couple but you're there for the food at the end.

I also like how this race brings everyone together. The 12 Hours raises the profile of Bathurst even further internationally, as well as drawing attention to the talents of some V8SC drivers who don't often get the chance to demonstrate their talents against some of the very best drivers from across the globe, let alone convincingly beat them. And on the other hand, you have the WEC, Le Mans and other events name-checked throughout the event, and it doesn't exactly do much harm for Radio Le Mans either...

Looking forward to next year already.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:33 (Ref:3612996)   #2073
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Good to see news corp papers get on board this year.
That is unusual isnt it Almost like V8SC has some sort of deal with News Corp

Quote:
Weird tone in that article by Foges - almost trying to remind people and justify the V8 1000 as a successful event. Strange.

I would argue that there were more than a few thousand people there on Sunday as well.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:40 (Ref:3612997)   #2074
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
That is unusual isnt it Almost like V8SC has some sort of deal with News Corp

Weird tone in that article by Foges - almost trying to remind people and justify the V8 1000 as a successful event. Strange.

I would argue that there were more than a few thousand people there on Sunday as well.
yeah, suprise, although the new corp thing been going on a while now

Remember the article was written pre the weekend, about 14k were there, up just under 2000 on last year. To get to the 20K will need a 50% lift on 2015 numbers. Really if it cant get to 20K by 2018 then the GT3 experiment is pretty much over
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:45 (Ref:3612999)   #2075
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Don't think that I missed it, but I didn't even see a line in todays telegraph ?