Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:06 (Ref:3624995)   #1
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Like the DW or a Roadster. They just can't be race anywhere else but IMSA. I wonder what Coyote will do?
Coyote is owned by Spirit of Daytona. SoD will probably continue in DPi.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3625069)   #2
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
You mean Action Express?

It is something I'm somewhat curious about. If the Coyote business is building the DP chassis and parts for them, what happens when there are no more DPs? They don't build any other cars as far as I know.

I'm sure DPs will still run around in historics, but I'm not sure how big of a business supplying parts for those is...
Old 20 Mar 2016, 10:09 (Ref:3625096)   #3
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
You mean Action Express?
No. I mean Spirit of Daytona. They took over the project after it got to the point where they were the only ones running the chassis. Then Gen3 came along and because of Pratt & Miller's assistance in improving the chassis it for some reason became the preferred Corvette DP chassis(only two Corvette DPs didn't use Coyote chassis - and one of them has been rather infamously destroyed).

That said, though, it's TECHNICALLY more of a partnership, but all intents and purposes SoD owns and runs Coyote Cars at this point.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 10:26 (Ref:3625102)   #4
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No. I mean Spirit of Daytona. They took over the project after it got to the point where they were the only ones running the chassis. Then Gen3 came along and because of Pratt & Miller's assistance in improving the chassis it for some reason became the preferred Corvette DP chassis(only two Corvette DPs didn't use Coyote chassis - and one of them has been rather infamously destroyed).

That said, though, it's TECHNICALLY more of a partnership, but all intents and purposes SoD owns and runs Coyote Cars at this point.
As far I know AXR owner, owns coyote too and SoD just owns one of their chassis since mid '2000 being their corvette DP mounted on their old DP2 tub. Anyway I don't think that P&M assisted coyote or anyone else like riley or dallara... the corvette DP "pack" is just a bodywork that can be fitted on all old DP2 chassis + GM engine.
Being just a bodywork and nothing more, you can watch at example that AXR and WTR, being "outside" the same car; have very different cockpit and tub structure. Corvette DP coyote chassis is the only version right handed
Old 20 Mar 2016, 12:40 (Ref:3625129)   #5
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
DPi does not have a 'relevancy factor', only a cost-containment factor, it seems to me. This is a step backwards in automotive efficiency and connection to the real world of the automobile. I know some are elated by the omission but I think it is a bad decision. The technological components do not have to be as advanced as P1, but there should be some components proven in P1 used, albeit, with a lower cost into the P2 and DPi cars, IMO.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3625297)   #6
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Bob Nelson is the owner of Coyote Cars and Action Express Racing, and Gary Nelson is the CEO of Coyote Cars and team manager for Action Express.

Spirit of Daytona were the only ones running the Coyote for a while, but I'm not sure who was in charge of building the chassis/parts at that point. Was it still Cheever?

It has been said several times that Action Express and Coyote are the same group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
As far I know AXR owner, owns coyote too and SoD just owns one of their chassis since mid '2000 being their corvette DP mounted on their old DP2 tub. Anyway I don't think that P&M assisted coyote or anyone else like riley or dallara... the corvette DP "pack" is just a bodywork that can be fitted on all old DP2 chassis + GM engine.
Being just a bodywork and nothing more, you can watch at example that AXR and WTR, being "outside" the same car; have very different cockpit and tub structure. Corvette DP coyote chassis is the only version right handed
No, there was some mention about P&M helping develop the Coyote, specifically after Spirit of Daytona switched back to Chevy power from the Cayenne V8.

I have no clue when it started or how long it lasted though, but I do remember them talking about it during several broadcasts during 2011 about how there were some P&M guys in the Spirit of Daytona pits, and I remember them showing Mr. Pratt with the team in the pits at least once.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3625328)   #7
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
For whatever reason SoD seemed to be the factory favoured Corvette DP team for a little while (including factory drivers), but it's pretty clearly WTR at this point.

Coyote Cars and Action Express Racing have the same office in Daytona. Coyote and AXR's shops are across the street in Denver, North Carolina (Crawford Composites is next door, as I recall). Spirit of Daytona is just down the street in Daytona at the same address as Ben Kennedy's (Bill France Jr's grandson's) NASCAR K&N Pro Series Team had. It's all France family.

Fabcar was originally in Indianapolis and I assume it stayed there when Cheever renamed it Coyote and moved to North Carolina when the NASCAR mafia took it over.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 23:33 (Ref:3625332)   #8
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
With all the discussion about the future, hoping it will include technology of the future. Not seeing that in the discussions, yet.

Hey, Don, speak up! In the spirit of Sparky.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 11:57 (Ref:3674905)   #9
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And Spirit of Daytona is owned by Jim France.

Last edited by truebeliever; 25 Sep 2016 at 11:58. Reason: spelling
Old 1 Oct 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3676244)   #10
Jaguar4
Rookie

United States
Grand Rapids, MI
Jaguar4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
And Spirit of Daytona is owned by Jim France.
Visit Florida Racing (SOD) is owned by Troy Flis.
Old 2 Oct 2016, 11:27 (Ref:3676682)   #11
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar4 View Post
Visit Florida Racing (SOD) is owned by Troy Flis.
No it ain't my friend

Troy Flis is purely the public face of it. He has not had a sponsor of his own work ever.

The truth is out there if you wish to look.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3677269)   #12
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
No it ain't my friend

Troy Flis is purely the public face of it. He has not had a sponsor of his own work ever.

The truth is out there if you wish to look.
You keep saying this... but, it's just not true.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 5 Oct 2016, 19:02 (Ref:3677596)   #13
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
You keep saying this... but, it's just not true.
+1.

I guess adding makes it somehow more true or relevant.