Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Aug 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3844298)   #26
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Variable race lengths. Hurrah, just what I wanted. A good step.
Something I realized that this schedule we see posted will be the first season without Ford in GTE Pro.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 17:30 (Ref:3844299)   #27
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
"Fans":
Ha Ha. Lots of people living in Bahrain named Benjamin. They are all big sportscar fans.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3844302)   #28
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
There's lots of foreigners and Military who 'live' and work in Bahrain and that area of the M.E. If I were to guess, it'd be more of them attending the race than the locals unless they're the higher ups.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3844303)   #29
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://storage.googleapis.com/fiawe...dia_Report.pdf (Pages 14-16)

I do find it weird that Bahrain never got mentioned in the fan survey...at all. They even say in that survey that Le Mans, Fuji, Sebring, Silverstone and Spa are the races with the most appeal, and they ranked the highest in event importance (Nurburgring was also up there in ratings). Fans also didn't want 4 hour races. It's just...weird.

No point in looking up attendance, as the attendance for every race outside Le Mans is always 55,000. It's cringy when they announce that about 5 hours into the race.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3844320)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Basically there aren’t many sportscar fans and those small number that there are all hate it. They should probably shut up shop. Zero hour races nowhere is the real solution.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:56 (Ref:3844323)   #31
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
2 paddocks in use for ELMS and WEC. Reducing the race from 6 to 4 doesn't really change much in that regard.
It helps ease the timetable congestion at Silverstone.
This weekend is very tight: it only took one red flag this morning to eliminate the lunch break. Saturday and Sunday don't even have a lunch break (although Sunday does have a church break).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
And another Petit-Fuji clash + Sao Paolo is same weekend as Bathurst 12H.

Brilliant job by the WEC - as always!
We don't know that, as the Bathurst date hasn't been announced for 2020 yet.
It is traditionally the first weekend of February, which would be the weekend of the 7th and 8th.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3844326)   #32
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You clearly know nothing about the Bathurst 12 hour and have no idea what you're talking about.
I do. It's an event that thinks it's far more important than it actually is. Besides that, there isn't even a date for it yet. If they wanted to reserve that weekend they should have done so.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:02 (Ref:3844327)   #33
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
This weekend is very tight: it only took one red flag this morning to eliminate the lunch break. Saturday and Sunday don't even have a lunch break (although Sunday does have a church break).
Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see this solving timetable congestion. Assuming ELMS retains the 4 hour event and the Saturday slot, then Saturday timetable will be identical.

Sunday would indeed cut 2 hours off the race, but looking at the timetable, there is only two races. Sunday actually starts an hour later, and the first track action isn't until 10am. If they had too much congestion then they really should consider moving the Formula 3 race an hour earlier, or dropping it completely from the Silverstone weekend as ELMS is already the support event. The Le Mans Cup event doesn't attend due to timetable constraints and tbh, I doubt anyone would miss F3.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3844328)   #34
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the fan surveys were probably hacked by Russian bots..
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3844329)   #35
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
I do. It's an event that thinks it's far more important than it actually is. Besides that, there isn't even a date for it yet. If they wanted to reserve that weekend they should have done so.
Clearly, all those manufacturers announcing factory cars must think it's far more important it actually is too.

Also, there is a date for it. It was announced in March.

https://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/ne...ed-2019-b12hr/
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...-date-set.html
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3844331)   #36
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
That's for 2019.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3844333)   #37
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
That's for 2019.
You're quite correct *slaps forehead*
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3844334)   #38
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see this solving timetable congestion. Assuming ELMS retains the 4 hour event and the Saturday slot, then Saturday timetable will be identical.

Sunday would indeed cut 2 hours off the race, but looking at the timetable, there is only two races. Sunday actually starts an hour later, and the first track action isn't until 10am. If they had too much congestion then they really should consider moving the Formula 3 race an hour earlier, or dropping it completely from the Silverstone weekend as ELMS is already the support event. The Le Mans Cup event doesn't attend due to timetable constraints and tbh, I doubt anyone would miss F3.
I agree, F3 is not needed on the Sunday. Silverstone should stay 6 hours, it's usually a great race.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3844335)   #39
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
You're quite correct *slaps forehead*
The winter calendar for WEC certainly takes some getting used to. But it also means it's still over 18 months before the event, plenty of time to iron out any issues. This is more a statement of intent by WEC than anything else. I still maintain having a race at Interlagos is far more important than not clashing with Bathurst.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:19 (Ref:3844337)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
From a weekend timetable point of view Silverstone lends itself to a shorter race. Silverstone easily puts on more support and has, as pointed out, the ELMS race too. Whereas with Bahrain the main feature is well the feature!

Not what I would have chosen, but if the marshals get a bit of rest-bite fair enough.

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

You have to factor in a slice of realism before we go down the woe is me everything is bad avenue. Quite frankly I’d just not bother if I was running this series, it seems you can’t please anyone. Pragmatism is required in all areas of life.

Except you can please some people. There will be thousands (maybe not 55,000 ) at Silverstone and we'll enjoy it. Shame most don’t post here. Perhaps they aren’t real fans.

The fans didn’t chose the race lengths by circuit they just said they wanted variety. That’s what we got. Good.

We’re not going to get Bathurst, Watkins Glen, Nordschleife, Donington, Suzuka or Reims. So why cry when we don’t? It strikes me it is bizarre to follow a sport (or anything) when it continually doesn’t give you what you want and that is all that interests you.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.

Woo, Silverstone.

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Aug 2018 at 19:40.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3844356)   #41
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would say I'm bored of life, but I'm caring for my parents suddenly. However, that's not what will keep me from watching this series.

I'll watch as much as I have in the past.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 00:00 (Ref:3844378)   #42
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
the fan surveys were probably hacked by Russian bots..
Bahrain bots.

One perspective - the reduced lengths are probably a nod to reducing budgets of teams (thought having any event is way more expensive than the per hour cost of the race). And the Bahrain payment to ACO may be paying for other aspects of the series that Silverstone itself wouldn't want to burden themselves with. Bahrain may seem pointless as a race. But who knows what's being enabled in during the season because of their desire to pay the ACO.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3844465)   #43
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It means you can move a support race from Saturday, which is really congested, to Sunday, and get another support series in too.

For example:

10:00 - 10:40 Support Series A race 1
10:40 - 11:15 Church break
11:15 - 12:15 Support Series B race 1
12:15 - 13:00 Support Series A race 2
13:30 - 17:30 WEC race

and use the time you have saved on Saturday for qualifying for Support Series B.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3844466)   #44
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I see what you're getting at there, fair enough. Although I don't see the upside to that. I can't imagine any WEC fan has ever went to Silverstone and said they wanted less WEC and more Formula 3. I'd even go as far as dropping the F3 event completely and using Le Mans Cup - even if that has to be a shorter race.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3844480)   #45
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Does Silverstone have any noise restrictions for the surrounding area? Do they have flood lights at the track? I can't recall seeing a race there that went into darkness. At Bahrain there is lighting and it runs at night so there's no issue there for 8 hours. As for the noise, I'm pretty sure the Bahrainian government puts on the show and noise complaints probably work a little differently in that area
Old 18 Aug 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3844486)   #46
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Silverstone doesn't have any noise regulations worth mentioning, it's decently far from the nearest houses.

It has no floodlights around the circuit but they do use a set in the pit lane for the 24 hour race.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3844511)   #47
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
We don't need any stinking lights for some proper night racing!
Old 18 Aug 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3844516)   #48
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I see what you're getting at there, fair enough. Although I don't see the upside to that. I can't imagine any WEC fan has ever went to Silverstone and said they wanted less WEC and more Formula 3. I'd even go as far as dropping the F3 event completely and using Le Mans Cup - even if that has to be a shorter race.
I believe Silverstone themselves asked for the change to accommodate another series, and I'm guessing the money they'd get they feel offsets any lost ticket sales by saying they've increased your value per ticket. Although I think many here would argue less WEC means less value.

I know people who have stopped coming to Petit on Wednesday as the WeatherTech guys don't come in track until Thursday morning now, so not exactly better value there. It's not the same thing as it was done here to save the teams money by cutting a day not race length. But it is still one less practice session so less time on track with the main event. More spec MX-5s is NOT an improvement for me. But I want my camping spot so I'm there early regardless who's on track, maybe I'm not the target audience for this type of change either.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3844517)   #49
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More of the same old from this current ACO management. The fans spoke, they listened, as Neveu said. Except, here are the results from the survey (p.20)

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/...al_Low-Res.pdf
Old 18 Aug 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3844523)   #50
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I believe Silverstone themselves asked for the change to accommodate another series, and I'm guessing the money they'd get they feel offsets any lost ticket sales by saying they've increased your value per ticket. Although I think many here would argue less WEC means less value.

I know people who have stopped coming to Petit on Wednesday as the WeatherTech guys don't come in track until Thursday morning now, so not exactly better value there. It's not the same thing as it was done here to save the teams money by cutting a day not race length. But it is still one less practice session so less time on track with the main event. More spec MX-5s is NOT an improvement for me. But I want my camping spot so I'm there early regardless who's on track, maybe I'm not the target audience for this type of change either.
I think your last line is quite funny because it's how we all seem to feel, lol. Everyone seems to be saying "maybe this isn't targeted at me", including me. If it isn't for us, who is it for? lol.

Reducing the main event to get another support event is bizarre. Although there was a weird statement during ELMS, but I forgot who said it - they said Silverstone was basically the only place other than Le Mans where you'll get that many top line sportscars in one weekend, but I disagree - Sebring next year will have the same thing.

Maybe that's what they should do. Turn Silverstone into an ACO festival to start the year. Stick Le Mans Cup in as well, and do what IMSA does so well - big weekends of everything.