Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Jan 2020, 09:16 (Ref:3949636)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
DONINGTON HISTORIC FESTIVAL - POSTPONED

Now well established 3 DAY (Friday to Sunday) event. Includes FJHRA, GTSCC, HRDC and MRL grids.
Old 7 Feb 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3956304)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone have knowledge of which races are running on the Saturday and Sunday, I'm unable to find a timetable.
Old 7 Feb 2020, 17:48 (Ref:3956321)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Anyone have knowledge of which races are running on the Saturday and Sunday, I'm unable to find a timetable.

If I remember correctly from previous years the final alleged timetable has been quite a late publication and still subject to change.

It seems to align somewhat with the proposed entry applications closure date.
Old 28 Feb 2020, 17:31 (Ref:3960407)   #4
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Timetable now available - some qualifying on each day this year which seems to make sense for anyone racing on the Sunday.
Really pleased to see races for Formula Atlantic cars. Hope they can get a good grid of cars out. They should sound and look great.
Old 28 Feb 2020, 18:45 (Ref:3960430)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Timetable now available - some qualifying on each day this year which seems to make sense for anyone racing on the Sunday.
Really pleased to see races for Formula Atlantic cars. Hope they can get a good grid of cars out. They should sound and look great.
Yes that'l be good!!

I've only seen the odd car out in various libre events over the years, the category was at the end of it's main life here when I started watching racing.

Scary that it was 40 years ago!
Old 28 Feb 2020, 19:40 (Ref:3960449)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Timetable here:

http://news-admin.msv.com/2020-donin...-unveiled.aspx
Old 13 Mar 2020, 16:26 (Ref:3963905)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Whilst I remain sceptical about scope and severity of COVID despite much info warning us, i would imagine this meeting is now 50/50?
Old 13 Mar 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3963907)   #8
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Whilst I remain sceptical about scope and severity of COVID despite much info warning us, i would imagine this meeting is now 50/50?
Could say the same for every historic event up till the end of August the way its going.
Old 19 Mar 2020, 18:47 (Ref:3965597)   #9
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
In the daily press conference tonight, Boris Johnson alluded to a timescale of 12 weeks to 'turn the tide' on the virus, as long as social isolation is maintained in the meantime, which would point to mid/late June as first possible time to resume racing?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 19 Mar 2020, 19:53 (Ref:3965625)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
In the daily press conference tonight, Boris Johnson alluded to a timescale of 12 weeks to 'turn the tide' on the virus, as long as social isolation is maintained in the meantime, which would point to mid/late June as first possible time to resume racing?

Yes 12 weeks must be about right (well done Boris!) as I understand it from a friend whose son has been holed up in a hotel for weeks, China's schools/work etc are just about to go back.

I believe we are circa 10 weeks behind them in terms of the rise of virus cases?
Old 19 Mar 2020, 20:15 (Ref:3965630)   #11
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes 12 weeks must be about right (well done Boris!) as I understand it from a friend whose son has been holed up in a hotel for weeks, China's schools/work etc are just about to go back.

I believe we are circa 10 weeks behind them in terms of the rise of virus cases?

Excellent!

Just in time to make all of the Ventilators the rest of the world needs.

Plenty of spare planes to fly them to wherever they are required.
Old 19 Mar 2020, 20:25 (Ref:3965632)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Excellent!

Just in time to make all of the Ventilators the rest of the world needs.

Plenty of spare planes to fly them to wherever they are required.

Yay!!

Would we trust F1 teams to make medical devices the world needs? They wouldn't be able to resist the competitive element!!
Old 20 Mar 2020, 08:09 (Ref:3965706)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Yay!!

Would we trust F1 teams to make medical devices the world needs? They wouldn't be able to resist the competitive element!!
hyper ventilating . . . . I just got Mr Creosote visions!
Old 20 Mar 2020, 08:20 (Ref:3965709)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Let’s keep on topic please......

Surprised no announcement on this meeting, yet. Maybe as it’s after the MSUK ban ends.
Old 20 Mar 2020, 10:36 (Ref:3965740)   #15
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Let’s keep on topic please......

Surprised no announcement on this meeting, yet. Maybe as it’s after the MSUK ban ends.
Me too, but it is very close to the end of the current ban, so if MSUK extend it at the end of April that will leave very little notice and make it all look a bit F1 ish. They will surely be building any event infrastructure (marquee's) before the MSUK ban ends, same with exhibitors and paddock set up.

As an event bod myself, we have already postponed one event that was in around 2 months time(albeit not the scale of Donington Festival) to 2021 and have the venue and infrastructure all booked for that already.

Sometimes you have to bite on the bullet and anticipate rather than get sucked into the waiting game and then run out of time, the nearer you get to the event, the higher your cancellation or postponement costs.

Sadly I can see some of the commercial event organisers and promoters taking a real financial hit this year.
Old 22 Mar 2020, 07:08 (Ref:3966085)   #16
Moneyseeker
Veteran

No reference at all to the Coronavirus on the Donington Historic Festival website, when you think the event is only about 5 weeks away, the situation in the country is getting worse and the MSUK permit suspension is currently up to the end of April, when they will be setting up at Donington for the event!

You would have thought Duncan would have pulled this by now and postponed surely?

I note that Silverstone Classic are referencing the virus on the website with a holding statement along the lines of ' in the unlikley event we have to postpone, etc' - bearing in mind that is first weekend in August.

One by product of the current situation might be a significant fall in advance ticket purchasing next year which will hit the cashflow of thes big events.

Old 24 Mar 2020, 10:46 (Ref:3966454)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Not happening obviously with ban extended! Perhaps we’ll here something from organiser now.....

1330hrs- DHF website not updated. Maybe looking for postponement rather than cancellation....

MSV website also not updated for this and several events! Is it all facebook twitter etc nowadays?

Last edited by Mike Bell; 24 Mar 2020 at 13:39.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3966688)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
E mail just in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRL
Donington Historic Festival &
Thruxton Historic Postponed

Following yesterday’s announcement by Motorsport UK, extending the suspension of race permits until at least June 30th 2020, you will not be surprised to hear that both the Donington Historic Festival and the Thruxton Historic meetings have now been postponed until later in the year. It is currently expected that both events will be rescheduled, with dates yet to be decided. We will let you know as soon as we have any further information.

We will be contacting everyone who has already entered these events over the next few days.

It is very sad to think we won’t be going racing for some time to come, but in the meantime we sincerely hope you all stay safe in these extraordinary times.

Best regards

Duncan Wiltshire

Motor Racing Legends Ltd
Woodbine Farm
Thorndon
Suffolk IP23 7JJ
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1379 678 101

Email: enquiries@motorracinglegends.com

Web: www.motorracinglegends.com

Copyright (C) 2020 Motor Racing Legends Ltd All rights reserved.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 11:33 (Ref:3966714)   #19
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Problem is the deeper into the season postponements go - the more events will need to be rescheduled and the fewer weekends left.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 11:40 (Ref:3966717)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Problem is the deeper into the season postponements go - the more events will need to be rescheduled and the fewer weekends left.
May need to come up with some creative ways to use facilities.

Could Silverstone run on 3 circuit layouts concurrently? I know they can run 2.

Donington is a little constrained. I doubt anyone would think a few laps around the Melbourne loop would be value for money.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 11:58 (Ref:3966726)   #21
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can be as "creative" as you like with "multiple concurrent circuits/layouts" but there isn't an unlimited number of marshals, officials, rescue and medics ...we already had meetings cancelled in 2019 due to insufficient numbers to allow them to run.

Don't forget that there will also be every other discipline across motorsport who will also probably be trying to get their meetings on.

Bottom line is the longer this goes on the more there will be some meetings that just won't happen this year.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3966734)   #22
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Absolutely the case - I think organisers of smaller events will have to look carefully at the possibilities of combining with other organisers to run events, to ensure that track-time is utilised fully when available, and that circuit owners and Motorsport UK will have to be flexible to enable such happenings.

Of course for the bigger events which are usually fully subscribed this won't offer much by way of options.

Overall not a major concern for the country, of course......
Old 25 Mar 2020, 12:28 (Ref:3966738)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
May need to come up with some creative ways to use facilities.

Donington is a little constrained. I doubt anyone would think a few laps around the Melbourne loop would be value for money.
Don’t forget we will all have to dance to the F1 and MotoGP tune, and then probably BTCC and BSB - if they decide they want race days in the second half of the year they will get them, and club motorsport will have to fit in or wait to next year.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 12:44 (Ref:3966744)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Remember the organiser doesn’t have to refund entry fees until ultimately the meeting is cancelled, so must be the preferred option......
Old 25 Mar 2020, 12:45 (Ref:3966745)   #25
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, the Stowe circuit is no longer licenced for racing (leaving aside the operational difficulties in running that number of events simultaneously).