Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Jun 2020, 11:29 (Ref:3979603)   #6126
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
How much further can it be pushed back..
There is one possible solution, but I don't see it happening. I don't know what is happening with F2, Porsche SuperCup, etc but I suspect there isn't going to be a full support package for both GPs. Could BTCC run at one of those events? Means running on the full GP layout, and means that the usual TOCA supports miss out, so not ideal but could be a better option than risking a meeting elsewhere being cancelled at the last minute due to lack of marshals.

Inevitably, arguments over media rights would scupper the idea from the start, but these are extraordinary times and maybe extraordinary measures are needed.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3979605)   #6127
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
Go full electric. Apart from the range is only for 5 laps and they require 6 hours of charging between races. And there is only 10 charging points for 30 cars.

Welcome to the future of motoring everyone
Is that how FE works?
Old 1 Jun 2020, 11:52 (Ref:3979608)   #6128
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Is that how FE works?
Formula E is incredibly slow. Racing on track sizes more suited to karting helps hide this for the most part.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 12:14 (Ref:3979610)   #6129
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Formula E is incredibly slow. Racing on track sizes more suited to karting helps hide this for the most part.
That may be true - but they get a bit more than 5 laps, which is what was suggested would happen if BTCC went full-electric.

Althouhg I wouldn't describe 0-60mph in under 3 seconds, and top speed of >170mph as 'incredibly slow'.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 12:34 (Ref:3979612)   #6130
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That may be true - but they get a bit more than 5 laps, which is what was suggested would happen if BTCC went full-electric.

Althouhg I wouldn't describe 0-60mph in under 3 seconds, and top speed of >170mph as 'incredibly slow'.

No-one denies that the initial acceleration of an electric engine is very good, it's just after that it is somewhat lacking.

They are still slower than Formula 3 cars around standard circuits, which for standard of an international championship is, to me, "incredibly slow".
Old 1 Jun 2020, 13:37 (Ref:3979623)   #6131
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
No-one denies that the initial acceleration of an electric engine is very good, it's just after that it is somewhat lacking.

They are still slower than Formula 3 cars around standard circuits, which for standard of an international championship is, to me, "incredibly slow".
I know we are a few years off for BTCC - but how do the lap times compare between FE and BTCC?

Or more specifically, if an NGTC car and an FE car lined up at a circuit, which would come out on top?
Old 1 Jun 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3979631)   #6132
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps start a new EV BTCC thread if this continues as I fear it will destroy the BTCC 2020 topic.

Also there is a general EV thread here: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154979
Join in or just use it as a useful resource to copy and paste all the old points from.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 14:54 (Ref:3979638)   #6133
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know we are a few years off for BTCC - but how do the lap times compare between FE and BTCC?

Or more specifically, if an NGTC car and an FE car lined up at a circuit, which would come out on top?
It depends on the circuit, doesn't it? For an apples & apples comparison you'd need to run both cars on racing slicks and on road tyres too to see which one works best, as they run on completely different tyre formats.

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

I suppose I should say here that I quite like Formula E and I have done from the outset. They're not trying to be F1, F2, F3, prototypes, GT or the BTCC; they had a plan for car/series development that they've stuck to, they've pushed large, high-capacity high-drain high-charge rate battery technology way faster than if they hadn't been developing it (mostly Williams' work, actually). The racing is and always has been close and feisty. The bits I don't like are the corporate tie-ins and the "fan involvement" - Fan Boost being the nadir of it all, really.

The way every single conversation everywhere about alternative drivetrains for racing end up with people slapping down Formula E because it *isn't* something is quite tedious, and if I'm honest I think it reflects more on the people doing the slapping than it does on the series.

For a comparator, I don't really like rallying very much but I don't find it necessary to moan about it when people talk about it. For another, I have more than a passing interest in NASCAR but I don't spend paragraphs trying to shoehorn it into discussions about GT racing!

We now return you to our normal ramblings.

It's all a bit apples and pears really, isn't it?
Old 1 Jun 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3979641)   #6134
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brands has switched layouts. The GP track will now be used in August and the Indy in November.

No option tyre at events either. Medium compound all tracks except http://www.btcc.net/2020/06/01/layou...e-regulations/
Old 1 Jun 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3979645)   #6135
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
Go full electric. Apart from the range is only for 5 laps and they require 6 hours of charging between races. And there is only 10 charging points for 30 cars.

Welcome to the future of motoring everyone
Long extension leads so the car is always plugged in.... from my observation only Tesla has a viable product, and for now they're beyond the financial reach of the average man in the street.

Everybody else's crap has next to no range. I personally know an elderly lady whose eight year old Nissan Leaf can barely do a 25 mile journey now. As it's 22 miles to town and back for her, it's not going to be long for the world.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 19:26 (Ref:3979691)   #6136
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Everybody else's crap has next to no range.
The Jaguar iPace has a range of 292 miles
The VW iD.3 has a range of 260 miles for the base model (there will be a version that does over 300 miles but that's not available in the UK until later in the year)
The Ford Mustang also has a range of 260 miles for the base model, or 370 miles if you upgrade the battery.

So all three are good enough to take Dominic Cummings to Durham without stopping.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 19:28 (Ref:3979693)   #6137
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52872157
Govt have given the go ahead to two British GPs in early August, which means clashing with 2 BTCC rounds. I think we have already spoken on this thread about the difficulties in getting enough marshals to run multiple big events on the same weekend. Could TOCA's announcement be a revised calendar.
Turns out it was, but only to swap the GP and Indy layouts around at Brands Hatch.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 22:54 (Ref:3979707)   #6138
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if Speedworks have acquired a particular Italian Hatch to go testing hybrid systems with? It was available and turnkey with little extra value than its parts so with hybridised as-is or gut to make their old Avensis a runner once again?
Old 2 Jun 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3979736)   #6139
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I wonder if Speedworks have acquired a particular Italian Hatch to go testing hybrid systems with? It was available and turnkey with little extra value than its parts so with hybridised as-is or gut to make their old Avensis a runner once again?
Avensis makes perfect sense. Tried and trusted.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 09:27 (Ref:3979742)   #6140
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
0-62 in 2.8 secs and 174mph top speed. BTCC cars would love to be that quick.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 09:28 (Ref:3979743)   #6141
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 2 British GPs are now confirmed for the first two weeks in August. Clashing with Donington and Brands.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3979744)   #6142
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I guess there are a number of factors to consider.

If the internals need to be stripped back extensively to fit the hybrid components, why pull apart a complete car?
If the hybrid system is to be tested alongside a non-hybrid equivalent, then a car of which only one was built is not suitable.

I'm personally not seeing the logic of taking on another chassis when they already have a chassis that they have extensive knowledge of, and other examples exist that they could acquire if more spares or comparison is needed (including one with HMS).
Old 2 Jun 2020, 09:49 (Ref:3979752)   #6143
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe they prefer concentrating on developing their car for the season ahead. No use testing something now when they need to focus on the current car more than ever. I don't think Speedworks see the hybrid as a top priority at the moment
Old 2 Jun 2020, 10:19 (Ref:3979766)   #6144
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Not sure why anyone would think anyone would invest money in an old chassis just to develop a hybrid system. Any old test hack would do pretty much as long as it can go round and round cheaply within a few secs of the pace.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 11:08 (Ref:3979783)   #6145
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Brands has switched layouts. The GP track will now be used in August and the Indy in November.

No option tyre at events either. Medium compound all tracks except http://www.btcc.net/2020/06/01/layou...e-regulations/
Think GP certainly works better as the season finale but fair enough in these circumstances.

Very pleased about the removal of the option tyre, really think it will be an improvement that way.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 11:41 (Ref:3979789)   #6146
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Maybe they prefer concentrating on developing their car for the season ahead. No use testing something now when they need to focus on the current car more than ever. I don't think Speedworks see the hybrid as a top priority at the moment
But they've been assigned the testing duties.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3979794)   #6147
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2020...sting-partner/

Christian Dick: “I am excited and proud that we have secured the development car contract."

I'm not sure 'any old test hack' would go down well with Cosworth/Gow?
Old 2 Jun 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3979828)   #6148
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm not sure 'any old test hack' would go down well with Cosworth/Gow?
Probably not. But with the Avenisis sitting there doing nothing they've got their test car - so no bother
Old 2 Jun 2020, 13:24 (Ref:3979830)   #6149
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
With everything that has been going on, it’s probably best this project is paused while everyone sorts themselves out. Maybe the project will be tested at the end of the season or the start of next season, who knows? Getting through this season is more important
Old 2 Jun 2020, 13:26 (Ref:3979831)   #6150
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Probably not. But with the Avenisis sitting there doing nothing they've got their test car - so no bother
LOL, the Avensis would be exactly that. It doesn’t mean it’s shoddy, just that none of TOCA, team or Cosworth etc. are going to be wanting to spend more than necessary to do the job.

The more they spend on development, the more they’ll have to recover in ongoing costs.