Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 30 Sep 2020, 17:31 (Ref:4007651)   #251
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If NASCAR really wants to diversity..how about pick a bunch of races where there are NO stages.

The road course races certainly don't need them. Heck it would be nice if they were done away with entirely. The Brickyard 400 was made worse because of the stages. I remember the 1994 and 1995 races had very very on green flag runs and I enjoyed that cause some strategy was being played out. R.I.P. The race was pretty cool in the 1990's. But it just went downhill after that. Just like the series as whole. It died after the end of the "Winston Cup" series in 2000.

One race on youtube I really watch with nostalga was the season ending Atlanta Winston Cup race in 2000. DW's last race and Earnhardt's last race before the 2001 500. Last race on the old ESPN contract with Bob, Ned, and Benny too I think.

Bottom line if I am ever to watch NASCAR again. We need to bring back the magic that Winston Cup was. Maybe the schedule does that some. But more needs to be done. No stages. Eliminate "playoffs", get the cars to have good liveries like the 1990s, and stop sucking up to Bubba Smolett.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 18:51 (Ref:4007666)   #252
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Stages to me damage racing strategy and take an element of interest away. Previously tyres going away meant pit. Or maybe you strategically pitted to try and get the jump on other teams. A lot of that is gone, way fewer strategic green flag pitstops - they don't make sense, ease up on your worn tyres and wait for the stage end caution - pretty much a no brainer unless the wheels are literally coming off of your wagon. I'd ditch stages in a heartbeat if it were me running the show.

I don't like playoffs/ the chase either. True, we don't know who might be champion. But also true is the #4 Harvick totally in my eyes deserve it. It would be a tragedy if he didn't win. Similarly back in 2018 when Harvick, Busch and Truex were in a class of their own pretty much the whole season - only for Joey Logano to gain the title with a win at Homestead. Full season, total the points up, chap with the most wins is what it should be.

As for the unspeakable one - I've warmed to him a little lately, I just wish people would stop playing the race card. I reckon 90 % of NASCAR fans could not care less what colour of skin a person has, or their gender, or whether they vote Republican or Democrat etc etc. They just want to watch some good racing!
Old 30 Sep 2020, 19:45 (Ref:4007686)   #253
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

As for the unspeakable one - I've warmed to him a little lately, I just wish people would stop playing the race card. I reckon 90 % of NASCAR fans could not care less what colour of skin a person has, or their gender, or whether they vote Republican or Democrat etc etc. They just want to watch some good racing!
We did not play the race card. Bubba did. I would agree with you in fact I would say over 99% did not care....UNTIL...Bubba decided to go there with it.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 21:06 (Ref:4007699)   #254
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
We did not play the race card. Bubba did. I would agree with you in fact I would say over 99% did not care....UNTIL...Bubba decided to go there with it.
Sorry, NASCAR went there. If you’d like to complain about who did what NASCAR management held the press conferences, called him, reported it to the local authorities and made the big deal. Neither he nor his team did that. Please get your facts straight before you start blaming people
Old 30 Sep 2020, 21:15 (Ref:4007702)   #255
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I believe their was a conspiracy to drum up publicity with the whole noose thing. It certainly got NASCAR on the front pages in the States and into mainstream European media.

My gripe with Bubba is mainly the refusal to accept the FBIs findings. Others within the NASCAR community set the story up. Guess the truth will not come out.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 21:21 (Ref:4007703)   #256
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Sorry, NASCAR went there. If you’d like to complain about who did what NASCAR management held the press conferences, called him, reported it to the local authorities and made the big deal. Neither he nor his team did that. Please get your facts straight before you start blaming people
I'll give you the point about NASCAR "going there" for sure. Bubba did not defuse it. Got to admit that.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 21:24 (Ref:4007705)   #257
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Stages to me damage racing strategy and take an element of interest away. Previously tyres going away meant pit. Or maybe you strategically pitted to try and get the jump on other teams. A lot of that is gone, way fewer strategic green flag pitstops - they don't make sense, ease up on your worn tyres and wait for the stage end caution - pretty much a no brainer unless the wheels are literally coming off of your wagon. I'd ditch stages in a heartbeat if it were me running the show.

I don't like playoffs/ the chase either. True, we don't know who might be champion. But also true is the #4 Harvick totally in my eyes deserve it. It would be a tragedy if he didn't win. Similarly back in 2018 when Harvick, Busch and Truex were in a class of their own pretty much the whole season - only for Joey Logano to gain the title with a win at Homestead. Full season, total the points up, chap with the most wins is what it should be.
1. Agree about the problem with stages. Great examples of why its bad.

2. Yes, Winston Cup was like this and nobody complained then. But after Winston Cup ended, the mentality changed. For some reason in 2003 people started to complain about Matt Kenseth dominated the points and they changed the rules.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 21:33 (Ref:4007706)   #258
WyldStallion
Veteran

If you have not figured it out already. I LOVED Nascar Winston Cup in the 1990's. But it pretty much died for me roughly between Earnhardt's death in 2001 Daytona 500 and the end of 2003 when they abandoned the season long championship. Only active drivers left from the 2001 Daytona 500 are Kurt Busch and Matt Kenseth. And Kenseth is probably going to re-retire again soon perhaps?

Since then I have not watched it at all. Although a place like this and David Land's youtube channel allows for great discussion and for me nostalga of a glorious now from long ago.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 22:16 (Ref:4007710)   #259
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Yeah, I pretty sure Matt Kenseth is back off into retirement having kept the #42 seat warm. I think he had wins left in him when Gibbs forced him out for Jones, but the layoff has probably dulled his senses and hard to get back into the swing of things.

Hadn't realised 'til you said it that only he and Kurt still around from the Winston days... dang, makes me feel a little older. Kurt is ageing well mind!
Old 1 Oct 2020, 01:41 (Ref:4007722)   #260
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I pretty sure Matt Kenseth is back off into retirement having kept the #42 seat warm. I think he had wins left in him when Gibbs forced him out for Jones, but the layoff has probably dulled his senses and hard to get back into the swing of things.

Hadn't realised 'til you said it that only he and Kurt still around from the Winston days... dang, makes me feel a little older. Kurt is ageing well mind!
Worth mentioning that the 2002 Daytona 500 was the first for still active drivers Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, and Ryan Newman.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 12:16 (Ref:4007777)   #261
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Fast forward come in handy did it? Used to be one of my don't miss events but haven't watched since they screwed up the track
A bit late... but yes, there was a lot of fast forwarding involved. A lot.

There won't be any fast forwarding this weekend though. Love it or hate it, it's still Talla-freakin'-dega
Old 3 Oct 2020, 19:23 (Ref:4008321)   #262
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trevor Bayne looked ahead when the yellow came out...
Old 4 Oct 2020, 20:53 (Ref:4008582)   #263
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Extra extra! Logano is involved incident after incident at Talladega. Coming next: water is wet. Who knew?!
Old 4 Oct 2020, 21:42 (Ref:4008588)   #264
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Joey is a menace.

Come on Chase!! He is dropping on the bottom. Needs some help.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 21:53 (Ref:4008589)   #265
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hate to hear the crowd reaction when Bubba Wallace wrecked from the lead.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 21:55 (Ref:4008592)   #266
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And cue the late race caution, multiple restarts and lots of wrecked racecars.

Not surprising as Bubba probably ain't the most popular person in Northeast Alabama ATM.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 22:01 (Ref:4008593)   #267
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
12 cautions. Kyle and Joey out. I'll take that
Old 4 Oct 2020, 22:01 (Ref:4008594)   #268
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
GREAT commitment and should be celebrated for Chase there. And logano in the mix of a mess again

Ok, Logano was innocent there. Reddick spun our favorite driver
Old 4 Oct 2020, 22:02 (Ref:4008595)   #269
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
The #22 didn't sustain enough damage for my taste.

Would've preferred to see him upside down.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 22:05 (Ref:4008596)   #270
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Goes so long local news boots it to NBCSN.

I'm good with Chase or diBenedetto winning for Wood Bros 100th.

Logano pushed Chase low to let his pass stand
Old 4 Oct 2020, 22:08 (Ref:4008597)   #271
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
DiBenedetto picking up his first win would be awesome.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 22:11 (Ref:4008598)   #272
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
DiBenedetto picking up his first win would be awesome.
I'd be good with that. Would be nice to see the 21 back in victory lane.

However, they should've called it with Chase in the lead
Old 4 Oct 2020, 22:13 (Ref:4008599)   #273
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Matt said exactly what I thought "Strategy is go fast." This is Ricky Bobby strategy
Old 4 Oct 2020, 22:15 (Ref:4008600)   #274
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Matt said exactly what I thought "Strategy is go fast." This is Ricky Bobby strategy
Ha!! MRN said even commentator Alex Hayden has tape on his nose today!!

Chase and one other stay out...
Old 4 Oct 2020, 22:17 (Ref:4008601)   #275
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Ratchet strap front suspension, that should be fine at speed right?
Cleared a lot of guys there for fuel.