Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Oct 2002, 05:28 (Ref:398066)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Ganassi's "outta here"

From http://www.indystar.com/article.php?cartnote07.html

Miami - Ganassi inadvertently dropped a hint where he'll be racing in 2003. The owner of four CART titles ran three cars in CART and one in the IRL this season. He said if CART gets its problems resolved, "I could always change my mind and come back." Reminded that he has to leave before he can come back, Ganassi grinned and said, "I thought of that after I said that."

From http://www.indystar.com/article.php?pit04.html

Buddy Lazier is job hunting since learning from IRL car owner Ron Hemelgarn that Coors Light will switch to Ganassi Racing for next season.

Cheever can't predict when the case
(against Schekter) will be settled, "but it shouldn't take long because he wants to sign with Ganassi," Cheever said.

The first article also gives some bad news concering Rahal and Vasser.

"We haven't done the best job we could for him," Rahal said. "I hope we can bring him back. It's just a matter of us finding the money."

With primary sponsor Shell either cutting back or going away, Rahal is unlikely to be able to meet Vasser's asking price. That has the 36-year-old driver knocking on doors.

"Team Rahal is not in position to keep the team intact, or so I'm told," Vasser said. "There's interest all around the paddock, but nobody's able to make a commitment."

Man, I didn't think Shell would be cutting back, or even leaving! I was kinda hoping they'd even bring over Pennzoil. And now it looks like Coors may not be in CART next season afterall.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 08:18 (Ref:398137)   #2
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vasser is off to Patrick racing
Old 8 Oct 2002, 11:02 (Ref:398223)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine who has a connection at TCG said that this is a done deal and that they are pressuring Bruno hard to turn to the dark side, but so far he is resisting. I hope NH will get him signed SOON.

Guess we'll have to wait and pray for our drivers to find something good.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 12:46 (Ref:398326)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Feh, Rahal can do a lot better for a driver than Der Puntmeister, and at a much lower cost.

Any word who's putting Allmendinger thru Atlantics next year?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 8 Oct 2002 at 12:47.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 13:05 (Ref:398341)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Feh, Rahal can do a lot before for a driver than Der Puntmeister, and at a much lower cost.

Any word who's putting Allmendinger thru Atlantics next year?
Old 8 Oct 2002, 15:14 (Ref:398415)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the scholarship money from winning the DPBS championship in addition to his personal sponsors he could probably sign with anyone he wanted.

I assume he'll only sign with a front running team, so that would be....Dorricott(They are currently testing guys that could be part of the team next year), Hylton (Maybe, who knows where Hunter-Reay will be next year, Dalziel will probably stay), Lynx (Maybe...)... Who am I missing? P1 Racing?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Oct 2002, 16:47 (Ref:398474)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Personal sponsors? Uhm... Last time I checked the side of A.J.'s car, he didn't _have_ personal sponsors. If that's changed, great...
Old 8 Oct 2002, 22:17 (Ref:398755)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit I was presuming he could get a personal sponsor or two. After a season like he had in Barber Dodge, he shouldn't have much trouble picking up some.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Oct 2002, 22:54 (Ref:398775)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's a protege of Paul Tracy too, which ought to help him get some interviews. Heck, if Josh can raise $100,000 when he finished 9th, AJ ought to be rolling in it!
Old 9 Oct 2002, 01:54 (Ref:398869)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Frankly, from all reports I've read, CART would be better of without the disturbing influence of Ganassi, who has done nothing but whinge, whine and harm the progression of CART. Let him play his games in the IRL instead.

Just make sure he gets all his toys back in the pram before he leave!
Old 9 Oct 2002, 09:37 (Ref:399066)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Frankly, from all reports I've read, CART would be better of without the disturbing influence of Ganassi, who has done nothing but whinge, whine and harm the progression of CART. Let him play his games in the IRL instead.

Just make sure he gets all his toys back in the pram before he leave!
Maybe Chip sees a kindred spirit in the kerb crawler Thomas?
Lets hope he drinks plenty of Coors and goes out on the hunt again. Is that chick who helped out Hugh Grant still knocking around?
Old 11 Oct 2002, 02:54 (Ref:400828)   #12
shaggy8931
Rookie

shaggy8931 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1manoz, or whatever you're called. Unless i'm badly mistaken, didn't Chip give CART breaks to Alex, Juan and Bruno. Drivers who, in my opinion, have helped to put CART on the international interest map ?

People like you are all too quick to go for the jugular because a team/owner decides to take his business interests to another series, likely for business reasons.

I haven't been on this forum for long, but have yet to see similair remarks directed at the F1 defections of Mr. Zanardi and Mr. Montoya to F1.

Get over it.......

Last edited by shaggy8931; 11 Oct 2002 at 02:56.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 05:47 (Ref:400886)   #13
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and you most likely won't see negative comments about the Champ Car drivers who graduated to F1. Formula 1 is still pretty universally considered the pinicle of motor racing. As much as we love our CART series and it's drivers, we are still proud of those among their ranks that step up to F1. It reflects well for our series and the quality of drivers that run in it.

There was little outcry when Robby Gordon, Scott Pruett, and now Christian went to NASCAR. It all goes back to one thing. TG has stated that he intends to bury CART and be the only major open wheel series in North America. When one of ours joins the ranks of another that has sworn to distroy what you love, it becomes more personal.

You are correct in that Ganassi did a lot for the series when he was working as part of the CART team. Penske was one of the founders of CART and therefore, did a lot for the sport. That was then...and this is now. Those men are now working against this sport and so I will continue to condem them for the their behavoir and actions.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 13:09 (Ref:401134)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Ganassi took JPM because he came with a large cash infusion and the knowledge that he was a "loaner" from Williams; he is on record as having no use for Bruno and has never given him an honest break or anywhere near the respect he deserves.

And at heart he's a NASCAR man. You can tell by the egg-sucking grin.

Otherwise I agree with Tailwind's final paragraph and say to Chip, you will not be missed.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 15:55 (Ref:401187)   #15
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My media friend told me that Coors wants Ganassi to stay in CART. Coors does not like the IRL and if Chip doesn't want to run in CART he could lose all his Coors sponsorship including NASCAR money.