Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Jun 2022, 08:35 (Ref:4112948)   #1
XtC24
Racer

XtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridXtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Test Day 2022

Ok, let's have a thread for the Test day

Timing:

https://live.24h-lemans.com/en/live

So far LMP2s on top with Toyota trying things and not making any quick laps
Old 5 Jun 2022, 09:01 (Ref:4112949)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was looking back through a few notes from last year.

For context, Glickenhaus did a 3.29.115 to top test day last year. Which was 5.2secs off the best lap we saw all of last year (Kobayashi in Hyperpole - 3.23.900).

In GT-Pro it was basically 7 seconds off the ultimate pace in the test day - for obvious reasons.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 09:09 (Ref:4112952)   #3
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another thing I'd forgotten about was the slight controversy around the qualifying format from last year.

You only get an hour on Wednesday in Qualifying practice to get into the top six for Hyperpole. So very hard to nail a lap without traffic. We saw Albuquerque mess up last year and that was the beginning of their race unravelling.

Unfortunately there are still so many hours upon hours of inconsequential free practice prior to the race. Too much IMO.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 09:25 (Ref:4112956)   #4
XtC24
Racer

XtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridXtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I can't see a reason, why they can't make one or two full practice sessions giving the teams more time to set good laptimes qualifying them for hyperpole.

Meanwhile both Toyotas gone to top but then Glickenhaus gone marginally faster.

3:33s so far.

Toyota could be much slower this year, more weight, less power and most importatnly hybrid boost from 190 km/h instead of 120 last year
Old 5 Jun 2022, 09:30 (Ref:4112957)   #5
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Another thing I'd forgotten about was the slight controversy around the qualifying format from last year.

You only get an hour on Wednesday in Qualifying practice to get into the top six for Hyperpole. So very hard to nail a lap without traffic. We saw Albuquerque mess up last year and that was the beginning of their race unravelling.

Unfortunately there are still so many hours upon hours of inconsequential free practice prior to the race. Too much IMO.
I think UA were spread too thinly last year across three cars (a lesson WRT seem to have learned from), but the race definitely began to fall apart with Albuquerque popping off about not getting a clean lap in qualifying.

As for why I think it's there, it increases the drama. Guaranteed stories to write about pre-Hyperpole. It's here to stay, unless an almighty fuss is kicked up about it, or someone ends a race week - or more - on the back of trying to get a good lap in.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 09:31 (Ref:4112958)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Astons are a little of the pace in GT Am so far but at least they are there otherwise if would be only ferrari and porsche.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 09:51 (Ref:4112960)   #7
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Looks like both Pro Porsches have had mechanical issues and needed bringing back to the garages on flatbeds. The 92 particularly has lost a lot of running this morning.

Not listening to the RLM coverage (saving that for the drive down) so not sure of any specific issues. Porsche's twitter described 91's issue as a "glitch".
Old 5 Jun 2022, 10:42 (Ref:4112963)   #8
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there a webcam streaming any footage?
Old 5 Jun 2022, 11:05 (Ref:4112964)   #9
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why alpine just can't get back to its 600hp? Toyota and glickenhaus top speed is in 330km/h range, alpine top speed is the same of lmp2... they will be nowhere in race pace if unable to overpass the (supposed) slower army of lmp2.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 11:35 (Ref:4112967)   #10
XtC24
Racer

I don't know if that means anything but Alpine ended slowest LMH in the morning session.

But regarding BOP I guess that Toyota can't run as quick as last year mostly due to the min. 190 kmh boost activation speed.

So Alpine must be slowed down also due to it's Sebring performance showing.

And both Alpine and Toyota could run quicker ofc, so this has to be due to Glickenhaus?
Old 5 Jun 2022, 11:47 (Ref:4112969)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Or Alpine are sand bagging as usual
Old 5 Jun 2022, 11:58 (Ref:4112970)   #12
XtC24
Racer

I would like ACO would really hit the spot with the BOP for the three including stint lenghth and refuelling and Toyota would have to really sweat and show its team, pitsop etc. advantage to win.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 12:23 (Ref:4112972)   #13
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC24 View Post
I would like ACO would really hit the spot with the BOP for the three including stint lenghth and refuelling and Toyota would have to really sweat and show its team, pitsop etc. advantage to win.
Any other round, sure!

Sadly that's not how it works once we arrive at Le Mans
Old 5 Jun 2022, 12:41 (Ref:4112979)   #14
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Times are speeding up a bit in the second session, 330 for Toyota and Glick
Old 5 Jun 2022, 12:42 (Ref:4112980)   #15
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Looks like both Pro Porsches have had mechanical issues and needed bringing back to the garages on flatbeds. The 92 particularly has lost a lot of running this morning.

Not listening to the RLM coverage (saving that for the drive down) so not sure of any specific issues. Porsche's twitter described 91's issue as a "glitch".
RLM said the 92 was a broken drive shaft.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 12:43 (Ref:4112982)   #16
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Messy morning session for Porsche probably the biggest storyline so far.

Driveshaft failure on the #92. Bruni went off somehow and hit the barriers at Mulsanne in the #91. Must have been quite a moment/big lock-up of some sort to hit something there.

We've just dipped into the 3:30s now in the afternoon session.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 12:46 (Ref:4112983)   #17
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC24 View Post
I don't know if that means anything but Alpine ended slowest LMH in the morning session.

But regarding BOP I guess that Toyota can't run as quick as last year mostly due to the min. 190 kmh boost activation speed.

So Alpine must be slowed down also due to it's Sebring performance showing.

And both Alpine and Toyota could run quicker ofc, so this has to be due to Glickenhaus?

bop aside, it's a matter of logic... even if alpine can set overall faster laptimes than lmp2, it has however same top speed of lmp2, it means that alpine drivers won't be able to pass lmp2 on straight (unless divebombing all the time) and that would kill their race pace because they'll be stuck in the traffic for the whole race considering the amount of lmp2 around the track. That's just unfair IMHO.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 13:06 (Ref:4112985)   #18
XtC24
Racer

That's right obviously. But the BOP will be probably adjusted before the race and Alpine will moan for sure. Also I think that ACO will "have" to listen to Alpine even just to don't hinder them so much. They (almost?) always assured the top speed edge , even minimal, so the will have to make up something to solve this.

On the other hand I think. there were times when LMP1 hybrids had slihghtly lower top speed than LMP2s (2016,2017? ) But then again, they had big boost out of the corners, so they passed then easily.

Anyway, somehow I have a feeling, that this time ACO doesn't want to hurt two non hybrid "manufacturers" to much and especially Alpine
Old 5 Jun 2022, 14:23 (Ref:4112994)   #19
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I feel like things are fairly quiet today? Not much on social media?
Old 5 Jun 2022, 15:17 (Ref:4113000)   #20
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I feel like things are fairly quiet today? Not much on social media?
Yeah I think those who have the means to cover this in greater depth aren't really up for it. RLM the only in-depth coverage but I'm not looking to commit 8 hours listening to it right before heading down. Too much of a good thing!

I maintain, just get rid of Test Day! Or maybe introduce some sort of dedicated bronze/rookie session on the Monday?
Old 5 Jun 2022, 15:19 (Ref:4113001)   #21
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yeah I think those who have the means to cover this in greater depth aren't really up for it. RLM the only in-depth coverage but I'm not looking to commit 8 hours listening to it right before heading down. Too much of a good thing!

I maintain, just get rid of Test Day! Or maybe introduce some sort of dedicated bronze/rookie session on the Monday?
Personally I feel the Test Day is much more for the teams than it is for us. Part of the reason we get such a polished product for race week is what happens on this day, imo.

Now do NOT get me started on the lack of television cameras around the track for free practice and qualifying.
Old 5 Jun 2022, 16:04 (Ref:4113003)   #22
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some photos
I had not zoom, just a 24mm lens... Maybe a zoom for the next week.

Old 5 Jun 2022, 16:08 (Ref:4113004)   #23
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who caused the red flag that ended the session?
Old 5 Jun 2022, 16:12 (Ref:4113005)   #24
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
It was the #7 Toyota but unclear what happened

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/lema...uses-red-flag/
Old 5 Jun 2022, 16:16 (Ref:4113006)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well all over now, so lets all do our predictions for the race now.