Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Oct 2002, 20:18 (Ref:417801)   #1
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ cars to carry onboard starters by 2005

From Autosport:
Champ cars to carry onboard starters by 2005 season, CART official says
CART vice president John Lopes cringed as he watched several cars stall their engines in practice and qualifying and sit quietly waiting for help following adventures on the Australian streets. Champ cars do not carry onboard starters, although Lopes said they will by 2005. “People see a stopped car and they don’t know why nothing’s happening,” he said. “That would cut our yellow [periods] in half.”
Fernandez Racing co-owner Tom Anderson called on CART to consider making the cars narrower when they’re redesigned for 2005 (and likely to get normally aspirated V10 engines). “We can’t make some of these tracks any wider, so I think we have to make the cars narrower,” Anderson said. “Every little bit gives the drivers more room to make a pass.”
Lopes said he and CART technical director Lee Dykstra are not opposed to such a redesign. “It would also help us in shipping these things,” he said.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:34 (Ref:417859)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good idea, and good idea.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 22:17 (Ref:417928)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed! An excellent move! In fact, I'd try for 2004!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Oct 2002, 23:25 (Ref:418033)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Tom Anderson said that they should turn the Champ Cars everyone loves into the modern Formula One cars, which are ugly as Satan choked in sin, and use the horrible engines that sound like overloaded washing machines. The fact that the fans are deserting Formula One because they hate the things should not be considered."
Old 30 Oct 2002, 23:32 (Ref:418041)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
But the fact that Europeans seem to dislike the lengthy yellows should be considered. And the fact that the ChampCars are emerging into a street-racing series, and the tight confines found therein, leads me to also believe that it may be better to fit two cars around a corner than 1-1/2.

The V-10 thing is something that I'm sure we'll be strongly debating soon enough.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 00:14 (Ref:418071)   #6
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of adding starters to the cars. I can’t count the number of times a car has stalled on the circuit and sat as a hazard to the next car coming barreling down the track. The drivers are always frantically waving for somebody to give them a push so they can get back into the fight. I say it’s a good move.

I don't get to watch many F1 races, but do they have starters on their cars?
Old 31 Oct 2002, 00:27 (Ref:418078)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Stallone will like it because now that street racing scene in "Drivel" makes 1% moe sense.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 06:16 (Ref:418174)   #8
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starters are a top idea. And I agree go for 2004 if possible.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 06:19 (Ref:418176)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On-board starters is the only sensible idea I've read in this thread so far (concerning ideas, not opinions).

I don't agree with thinning the cars and adding V10 engines. Won't this just turn CART into F1 Jr/Lite????

I like the big, wide cars with chunky tyres. Look like real open-wheelers, kind of what like F1 cars USED to look like, before the circus clowns really fooled around with it.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 21:22 (Ref:418846)   #10
FastCar5
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
FastCar5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree f1manoz. I feel the big wide tires remind me of GV blasting around and over all curbing in his way. Thats when power was power and shredding rubber really meant something!