Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 31 Oct 2002, 16:02 (Ref:418588)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Over to you......

I am sure it has been done before, but this thread is giving you as drivers, marshals, spectators etc, to post your top 3 pet hates, or 3 things you would like to see changed in national motorsport. If you were in charge at the BARC or BRSCC or were a circuit owner - what would you change??

Some of the things I would change include.

Less race weekends for each championship, but increase track time on most events. This would help to increase competitor numbers, with reduced travelling and better value for money.

Try and sort out the fixture congestion at certain times - once again this season, marshals have been stretched with too many events in one area on the same day.

What do you think....
Old 31 Oct 2002, 17:32 (Ref:418661)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed on your last point Andy - there have been a number of weekends where meetings have been on at Mallory, Donington, Silverstone and Rockingham and that is just stupid. Dilutes marshals and the few spectators that float around.

Drawn out racedays annoy me. I know the marshals like a lunchbreak but sometimes at Mallory this year they've been well over an hour - which is a bit too long.

Championships that don't give their competitors value for money - 12 laps at Mallory anyone? That's ten minutes of racing. I think standard minimum distances of a lap equivalent of 15 minutes would be a good thing.

Championships with small entries annoy me. VSRs and Super Coupes have been disappointing in particular this year. Let's cut out the dead wood, combine series, do whatever it takes.

Being a regular at Mallory Park I think it's a shame that so many championships ignore this great track now. I know it lags behind a bit on safety, and it will never catch up. The start of the TOCA package in the early 90s was when the rot set in.

I'd like to hear an improvement in the standard of raceday commentary too. Sometimes it can be dire and more cringe-making than an episode of The Office. Though I'm sure people say that about my reports too!
Old 31 Oct 2002, 21:47 (Ref:418870)   #3
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with you there Ian, that Mallory commentator...the lights go to red...and then green...GOOOO... in a mass of sound and colour....! Jeez, give it a rest!!! Why not get the V8's/VSR's to join the Formula Saloons...I know it's a BARC thing but makes sense. Must be about the same in power output?
Old 31 Oct 2002, 22:04 (Ref:418907)   #4
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree with the comments on commentarys - aweful!

The price! - £10 to get in - no wonder there are very few supporters!
Old 4 Nov 2002, 11:19 (Ref:421306)   #5
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think £10 is that bad. It can work out about £1.50 per race and if you compare it with football where you pay over a tenner for 90 minutes of division three it works out pretty cheap.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 11:37 (Ref:421312)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
1. A closer co-operation between the circuit owners and organising clubs in order to promote meetings and attract more spectators to motor racing. More spectators should equate to better chances of drivers finding sponsorship deals.

2. Better facilities for families. At the moment at many circuits the facilities for women and children are dire. It's one thing to get people to attend a race meeting and another to get them to come back after their initial visit. We need things like decent toilets, changing rooms for mothers with young children and dare I say, warm and dry places from which they can watch the action on the track!

3. More track action to keep the spectators entertained (yes I do mean entertained) between races or during long periods of inactivity such as lunch breaks.

Stephen.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:11 (Ref:421413)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gray
I don't think £10 is that bad. It can work out about £1.50 per race and if you compare it with football where you pay over a tenner for 90 minutes of division three it works out pretty cheap.
I agree, but the punters have probably heard of the D3 football team!

And it is comparable to the prices (with offers) for some of the big meetings (GT/F3 or BTCC), in which case the club meeting isn't going to compete.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:20 (Ref:421419)   #8
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
You have a point, but still, what's ten quid to your average person? I hope I don't sound upper-class (because I ain't) but a tenner is a couple of hours work for most people, if that! Yet some of the international events (DTM, ALMS) are £20 or so.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:34 (Ref:421433)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Chris, the problem starts when you go as a family and it's £10 per adult, plus a program, plus grandstands, plus pits walkabout...The list is endless.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:44 (Ref:421441)   #10
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Point taken. I'm speaking from the point of view that I generally go with just one other person. But you only really pay for the pitlane/paddock at Superbikes now. Plus, I've never ever paid to sit in a grandstand.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:51 (Ref:421444)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
You have never been to Brands Hatch then Quite often at TOCA meetings they charge for grandstands and also pit lane walkabouts. As I don't marshal SuperBikes I can't speak for them.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:54 (Ref:421445)   #12
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
No, I'm a bit too far away from Brands. And I rarely go to Superbikes nowadays, not cos of the cost etc, but because it is so popular it becomes hard to move; Cadwell, Mallory etc.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 19:52 (Ref:421673)   #13
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Compared to £25 for a whole weekend of BTCC then £10 for one day which comprised of 3.5 hours of racing is pretty steep.

If you are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids then you would think twice especially as there is no where to watch in the dry.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 22:44 (Ref:422561)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The spectator fee is high at £10 but just ok. The circuits need to promote the meetings more with the clubs. Every meeting should be plgged on local radio + press very easy to do and usually free if you do a couple of free tickets (I have to do this on a regular basis at work - albiet for a cinema!)

Longer races but less crowded meetings, combining grids and using long circuit options.

LOWER ENTRY FEES!

Good things - look at castle combe meetings they are how all race meetings should be - just a tad more promo.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 08:24 (Ref:422767)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I agree. Many years ago there used to be free race days promoted by The Sun, The Evening Standard and Radio 1, why on earth can't they be resurrected?
Old 6 Nov 2002, 12:28 (Ref:422913)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and the Lydden family fun day? does that still happen? what about a motorsports show basesd around a race meeting, with an autotest, a short speed event - with rally cars too, some rally crossers, and a good how for all present.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 14:20 (Ref:422984)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Now what we really need to do is pass all these good ideas onto the BRSCC, BARC and BRDC and let them bugger it up