Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jan 2003, 13:23 (Ref:466301)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Albers out of Minardi drive

From Pitpass.com

Christijan Albers and his management have issued the following statement:
We expect that Christijan Albers will not drive for Minardi F1 in the 2003 season. Although we have found the essential budgets for the drive and we are still talking to 2 companies who are interested to become title sponsor of Minardi F1, the sponsors and Paul Stoddart could not agree on the payments due on the very short term and the contracts. We regret this, but we understand it as well. On december the 31st. the conditional contract was ended. It is highly likely that Christijan will drive DTM in 2003 and if possible he will try to get some more experience as F1 driver through a position as test/reserve driver with Minardi or another team that has shown serious interest. We hope to finalize negotiations soon. And we are still looking for companies who are interested in building F1 successes together with Christijan. Opportunity knocks.

Christijan: "Formula 1 remains the ultimate goal for me so I do not give up my hopes. I know I can make it. My sponsors made a fantastic offer to Paul, which he unfortunately could not accept. Fortunately there is still a lot to win for me with Mercedes in DTM and since I am only 23 there is enough time to become F1 driver. I still hope that I can start my career with Paul Stoddart and Minardi F1. I really like the team and hope that they get stronger soon. I look forward to the next season and hope it will be as successful as the year in which I became F3 champion. I want to win again and i am topfit."

We would like to thank Michiel Mol, Joep van den Nieuwenhuyzen, Fred van Putten and all (potential) sponsors who support Christijan to reach the highest level in autosport and the support we got so far. Nothing changes so fast as F1, but at this moment we have no better news. Hopefully there will be one or more dutch drivers in F1 again as soon as possible. This will make the sport much more attractive for sponsors and especially all the fantastic dutch fans. We promise that Christijan will test a F1 car sooner than anyone may believe. And we want to say that there is still a chance that Christijan will drive F1 in the season to come. Happy 2003.

Lodewijk Varossieau/Cees Faes Management for Christijan Albers
Old 7 Jan 2003, 13:36 (Ref:466318)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest, this comes as a relief. Albers is not a quality driver, he flopped in F3000 and hasn't looked great in the DTM, compared to guys like Winklehock and Schneider. Having a rookie in the seocnd car would really disadvantage Wilson as well.

My hope would be De La Rosa with Repsol sponsorship, I rate hi, higher than Bernoldi or Verstappen, and he has showed enough potential to really move forward.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 18:21 (Ref:466512)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to www.f1racing.nl Jos's sponsors transfered the money to Minardi yesterday(they say they have a reliable source within the Minardi team), Jos's managment denies everything, but that could have something to do with the motorsports show in Maastricht next week, they say Jos will be anounced to drive for Minardi there.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 18:23 (Ref:466514)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide

My hope would be De La Rosa with Repsol sponsorship, I rate him, higher than Bernoldi or Verstappen, and he has showed enough potential to really move forward.
2 season with a factory backed team(Jaguar) proved otherwise.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 18:53 (Ref:466536)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
De La Rosa has given Irvine a run for his money, beat him for much of 2001 before Irvine raised his game again, and but for bad luck at Australia and Monza could have got some of the points Eddie took.

Of ocurse, what you mean is not that De La Rosa is not good enough, its that Jos is, and you know my views on that.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 09:18 (Ref:467093)   #6
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could just be negotiating brinksmanship from Albers of course...
Old 8 Jan 2003, 09:38 (Ref:467105)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Jaguar outfit is in such a shambles driver performance doesn't really mean a lot. Johnny Herbert was terrible there in 2000, and we all know he was a half good driver at least.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 10:06 (Ref:467119)   #8
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besides that, Minardi is taking on the driver that has the biggest wallet and is able to pay up as soon as possible. So driver-quality really doesn´t come into the equation. Can´t blame em.

On the upside, Jos´ sliding carreer will have hit rockbottom when he lands the Minardiseat. After that it is finally and definatly byebye Jos. That day calls for celebration.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 10:53 (Ref:467146)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Albers in a Minardi? Who the hell is Albers???

Jos getting the seat would be of no use to anyone but PS as he needs the money. But seeing how Jos likes to throw it into the scenery, I hope Jos' sponsors are paying up big!

I agree with the PDLR quip. He's young, quick and now with experience with a factory team. His results from his Jaguar days are inconclusive as the car was a piece of **** and even Irvine, the self-proclaimed 2nd best driver in F1, could do little with it.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 17:41 (Ref:467542)   #10
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank goodness!
Old 8 Jan 2003, 17:44 (Ref:467549)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've read speculation that Jos will be announced as a Minardi drive very soon, possibly tomorrow.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 18:00 (Ref:467579)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I read that Jos deposited the cash to Minardi's account.
But Jos' management said nothing and could possibly wait for some event to announce it.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 18:01 (Ref:467581)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Fighting for the Miniardi seat is a bit like trying to buy the last deck chair on the Titanic,career wise.

Last edited by Armco Bender; 8 Jan 2003 at 18:02.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 05:54 (Ref:468161)   #14
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an optimum number from dutch drivers in f1, which also happens to be the number of dutch drivers who were genuinly worthy of an F1 drive.

The number.................. 0(zero)
Old 9 Jan 2003, 07:26 (Ref:468198)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't believe that Jos is that desparate to get a drive ...... make way for the young drivers you old sack
Old 9 Jan 2003, 22:16 (Ref:468896)   #16
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well many old boxers carry on too long, and Jos is well known for his fighting off the track!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 22:35 (Ref:468918)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, people do believe everything what the press has to say, even if it is blownup to gigantic proportions...