Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Feb 2001, 20:45 (Ref:62700)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Former Formula One World Champion Niki Lauda is expected to become Jaguar Racing's CEO. Lauda will replace current CEO Neil Ressler.

Lauda's appointment is expected to be announced officially in Britain in the next couple of days, according to reports in the German media today.

Austrian Lauda, who won the Formula One World Championship three times, had recently resigned from his own airline company, Lauda Air, after auditors criticised alleged financial irregularities at the airline he founded in 1979. Lauda was also an advisor for Ferrari until a year ago.

Lauda's appointment at Jaguar Racing will conclude a major reshuffle the Ford-owned team had undergone, including the appointments of team chief Bobby Rahal and technical director Steve Nichols.
Old 5 Feb 2001, 20:52 (Ref:62705)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Breaking news...

Quote:
Today Jaguar confirmed to Formula1.com that Niki Lauda has signed with Jaguar. His job title will be Chief Executive Officer. There will be a formal press conference tomorrow.

There is speculation that his role may go beyond the Jaguar Racing team, as the press conference has been called by Premier Automotive Group, the Ford luxury car division which encompasses Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln and Volvo.

His management skills and experience will enhance an already strong team, joining team boss Bobby Rahal, the former head of CART.

The former triple World Champion recently sold Lauda Air, in which he retains a 30% stake. He left the airline last November. It had been rumoured for a short while that he might join Jaguar. He had apparently been offered a job to head Malaysian Airlines and has a job title of Editor at Ecclestone's new F1 magazine.

Dr. Wolfgang Reitzle the overall boss at Jaguar is a friend of Lauda's, and persuaded him to enter into a two year contract. Niki Lauda was an adviser to Ferrari for several years.

Lauda was best known for the determination he showed in winning his second World Championship in 1977, after a horrific accident at the Nurburgring the previous year saw him badly burned. His mental strength and refusal to allow pain to dominate won him many fans, as did his three title wins overall (1975, 1977 and 1984).
Should be quite a team if all these personalities can gel i'd say Go Jaguar!!
Old 5 Feb 2001, 20:58 (Ref:62710)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's a living legend, and good luck to him in his new job. I'll miss listening to his well judged comments on RTL during race weekends though...
Old 5 Feb 2001, 21:02 (Ref:62712)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
He is indeed. Was it a coincidence that Ferrari started turning themselves in the right direction shortly after he arrived there ? Let's hope he can do the same for the 'British Ferrari'

And let us not forget, Jackie Stewart is still around in the background too should he be needed...
Old 5 Feb 2001, 23:55 (Ref:62757)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Jaguar has to change it's focus. They have to step back from the hype surrounding the big name, and try to analyse what is needed to preform successfully. Niki probably can do that for them, because he is certainly outspoken, and knwows how to win, and is determined to win. I don't know about their driver line up as Eddie did not have the opportunity to show his true capabilities at Ferrari - everything was for TGF there. Now that Eddie is numero uno, three will be no excuse this year. The other guy is an unknown quantity, and will only be tested after his qualifying efforts are scrutinised after several races this year.
Old 6 Feb 2001, 01:52 (Ref:62779)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've always admired Lauda's ruthless pragmatism-his point of view is just what Jaguar needs. There are now a couple of racers running the team, now all they need are a couple of racers driving for it.
Old 6 Feb 2001, 03:55 (Ref:62807)   #7
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent - the Rat joins the Cat!
Old 6 Feb 2001, 15:50 (Ref:62871)   #8
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news!!! Go, Jaguar and Eddie!!

Hope Niki Lauda will be better team manager than Alan Prost turned to be.
Old 6 Feb 2001, 16:21 (Ref:62876)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AMoffat - thank you, I haven't laughed so loud at a thread in ages.

Perfect!
Old 6 Feb 2001, 21:16 (Ref:62928)   #10
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I have the deepest respect for Neil Ressler as a person and a leader/businessman, all I can say is.....YYYYEEESSSSSS!

Three of my alltime driving favs involved with my alltime favorite marque, I couldnt have wished for more...

...but if they could do a deal for Jacques V now, THAT would be something.

Go Jaguar!
Old 7 Feb 2001, 05:48 (Ref:63043)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

I know this sounds a little harsh...But I think Eddie has to go....He does not have what is needed to win WDC or to help win WCC...Now I like the idea of JV in a Jag....
Old 7 Feb 2001, 07:43 (Ref:63059)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Seriously, this time. I think that Niki will guide the team, and Bobby Rahal will motivate Eddie. I have teased Eddie and said a lot in fun, but he has copped a load of rubbish at Ferrari, and this will be the only opportunity for him to put his money where his mouth is: to show he is a winner. Unless he qualifies well, and gets up on that podium (which I am tipping he won't) then the wolves will be crying for his blood. I don't want to see Jacques involved with Jaguar because I think Honda will be the superior team. In fact, Honda will be one of the teams to surprise McLaren and Ferrari this year, along with BMW. Niki's involvement will be the only thing that might lift Jaguar/Ford above mediocrity.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 09:55 (Ref:63075)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, ....and Ressler's on the mat!