Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:41 (Ref:697728)   #1
chris24
Rookie

chris24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2001 Bentley EXP 8 at Oulton Park Gold Cup today and tomorrow

I went to the Gold Cup race meeting at Oulton Park today, and to my surprise found in the paddock, a Team Bentley race truck with the 2001 Bentley EXP 8 sat along side it. It was up on its air jacks, had both doors open, all the wheels off and the engine cover removed. It also had full public access to it, ie, no barriers ! Hence I ran off about 75 detailed pictures of the car on my digital camera, including front underside shots of the diffuser etc. I also had a good chat with a team mechanic. The reason the car is there is because Derek Bell is going to drive some demonstration laps around the track, during the lunch break. I wasn’t going to bother with my SLR camera and lens but have now changed my mind and will take them tomorrow now.
Also meet Stirling Moss today, and Jackie Stewart is there tomorrow. Also there today was Jack Brabham and Roy Salvadori.

Also the Bentley has been fitted out with a passenger seat to give VIP’s rides in the car. I would what sort of a bribe I would need to get a ride in it tomorrow. Some guy went up to the driver of the new Aston Martin course car and said that it was his mates birthday, so could he have a ride in the Aston around the track. The guy to my surprise and his, said “Yes Ok, get in !” I guess you don’t get if you don’t ask.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:52 (Ref:697734)   #2
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've managed to blag a VIP pass for tomorrow, so I'll join the que for a ride...

Seriously, it will be good to see Bell doing a few laps. What was the overall feel of the event like today? I'm looking forward to tomorrow, but felt last years event fell really flat. Apparently there are more displays etc this year.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 22:35 (Ref:697760)   #3
chris24
Rookie

chris24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A guy from work who does alot of the classic events was not impressed last year, but this year he said it was a lot better. More car club display area's etc and more stalls. Very relaxed paddock atmosphere. My mate talked his way into the pitlane during racing to go and talk to Jack Brabham.
Have fun, I will be there in a 2003 Bentley T shirt if you see anyone walking round with one on. Also will have a yellow/ black rucksack with me.