Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Sep 2003, 18:40 (Ref:722190)   #1
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Olive Garden bites the dust

Olive Garden announced today they will no longer sponsor the ALMS program in 2004.

This has been a rumor for a while. The second part of the rumor is that Rafanelli will also leave the ALMS. He had been looking for a sponsor for most of the summer but with no success. His passion is motorsports, but the finances of running a team are catching up with him. The Olive Garden deal did not cover his team's expenses and he was contributing a lot of his own money. The rumor I heard is that he will be getting into a business venture not related to motorsports.

Prodrive may also bail out of the ALMS to concentrate on the ELMS. Hopefully someone will buy Rafanelli's car and continue to race in the GTS class in the ALMS. Else the ALMS may end up stepping back in time with an underfunded Saleen team trying to compete with the Corvette guys. Assuming the Corvette program continues, which has also been rumored to become a victom of budget cuts. If Prodrive leaves and no major GTS competitor steps into the ALMS, then GM will likely continue the ALMS program (no Le Mans?), even if it is on a reduced budget.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 18:59 (Ref:722212)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All this hard on the heels of proclamations about GTS being the saviour of sportscar racing. What to think?

I would have eaten at Olive Garden if they hadn't closed all the restaurants in Canada. And I would have told them Gabe sent me. (Which reminds me, I have to email Sunoco. Back in a minute. )
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Sep 2003, 21:21 (Ref:722393)   #3
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just in Europe!!!

It's the savior of -European- sportscar racing,Paul.

If you were a Euro GT Supercar team and could race in the FIA GT and/or LMES as well as LM why come to America? For the Fans?

Of course the idea that Ratel and the ACO have teamed up and thrown Panoz under the bus is "laughable", given his relationship with the LM organisers.

There was that ELMS thing though...but the ALMS is very strong (and still has a good GT class with the new Esperante coming in) so there is no reason to off Panoz, especially if his checks clear.

Last edited by Kurt Maxwell; 17 Sep 2003 at 21:24.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:05 (Ref:722438)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Just in Europe!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt Maxwell
It's the savior of -European- sportscar racing,Paul.
Which of course is evil.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:19 (Ref:722457)   #5
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Louis, did you mean LMES when you said ELMS? ELMS is dead, unless someting has occured that I don't know about. The lack of a major competitor will not stop GM from using Corvette Racing as a major advertising platform, and budget cuts might be the thing that puts them on a more even playing field with the privateers. If Care Racing does keep their cars in Europe, I would venture to guess that the Vette-550 war will still be waged three times a year. Also remember that there will be new cars and teams running within the next two years. With GTS falling apart, and LMP making dramatic changes, it would seem to me that DPs are going to have to be the "saviour" for a few years.

Shame about Rafanelli.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:21 (Ref:722461)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been eating at Olive Garden for at least once a week for the last two years only because of their sponsorship to Ravanelli. I have got a respectable collection of Olive Garden receipts!

Louis The Shark, your posting is pretty much in line with what I (and other Ten Tenths members) have heard in the ALMS paddocks for a while. Sadly, all that you report is quite likely.

Last edited by Muzza; 17 Sep 2003 at 22:22.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:25 (Ref:722465)   #7
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real loss in this news is the loss of a genuine non-automotive sponsor. Olive Garden was one of the few sponsors that was trying to make the marketing program work. They sponsored the car, they purchased commercial time during ALMS broadcasts, they used a vendor (Coka Cola) as part of the program, they promoted at races, they tried to do the things you need to do to make sponsorship work.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:27 (Ref:722467)   #8
LouisTheShark
Racer

ELMS = LMES = ELMT = LMT = whatever you want to call it today!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 00:30 (Ref:722571)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LSMFT?

Nah, you're not old enough to know that one.

Olive Garden was active in charitable outreach too, for which I praise them.

And now for the chorus of our song:

Quote:
Gloom despair and agony, oh me!
Deep dark depression! Excessive misery!
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!
Gloom, despair and agony, Oh me!
You're probably not old enough to remember that one either.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 00:38 (Ref:722575)   #10
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
LSMFT?

Nah, you're not old enough to know that one.

Loose strap . . .

Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco
Old 18 Sep 2003, 00:45 (Ref:722581)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geezer alert!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 01:49 (Ref:722591)   #12
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well too bad rafanelli won't continue, his car was getting faster all the time. and the news GM may pull the vettes out is a shock because last i knew they said they were here to stay and will come out with a new C6-R for 2006. i hope prodrive continues next year of rahal buys the new 575 GTC and races them. this is shocking news to me in what i thought was a growing class
Old 18 Sep 2003, 01:57 (Ref:722592)   #13
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did you hear the Corvette's would be pulled? AFAIK, the Corvette program was guaranteed until after the 2006 season. Heck, the C6-R was rumored to be being developed along with the road car, with one of the first C6 chassis built going to Pratt & Miller. This is pretty old news, however.

Last edited by RM40; 18 Sep 2003 at 01:57.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 02:08 (Ref:722595)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dang...beautiful car. Haven't eaten at one in a long time, but as I remember they were pretty decent. It's a shame they couldn't find another sponsor...such is racing these days I guess. Pro-Drive out? I wonder what GTS will look like next year...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Sep 2003, 05:58 (Ref:722672)   #15
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Dont despair yet. Prodrive may pull the 550 because teams will be switching to the 575 which isnt made by them. Prodrive have been doing a fantastic marketing job for ferrari for a few years when the car really has nothing to do with them. I wonder if Luca has ever rung Prodrive to congratulate them on getting Ferrari to win at LeMans! There have also been many rumours that Prodrive are involved with other manufacturers such as Aston Martin.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 06:39 (Ref:722695)   #16
LouisTheShark
Racer

The indication is that Pro Drive will race in Europe with the Ferraris. There seems to be no reason for them to pull the program, just not run a full season in the ALMS. I expect to still see them at Sebring and possibly Petit Le Mans in 2004.

The main reason why the Corvette program may be in trouble is because GM brass was apparently not too happy with being beat by a privateer Ferrari team at Le Mans. They have won everything they need to win for marketing purposes and there is little reason for them to continue if the program requires continued major investment. GM brass may decide to increase the push on the Caddilac SWC program instead, which likely would leave the Corvette program with limited or no funds.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 08:30 (Ref:722769)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Autosport this morning reports that Rafanelli plans to come over for the LMES race in November and aiming to run at LM next year- no mention of Olive Garden though
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:16 (Ref:722977)   #18
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that update,KA. Good to hear that they plan on continuing in Europe.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:55 (Ref:723014)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...so Gabriel is back to his 2001 plan, then?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:12 (Ref:723133)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

My favourite painting !

Muzza, a last meal for me please...