Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Sep 2003, 11:50 (Ref:728631)   #51
Andrew Hornsey
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Andrew Hornsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of July 1989. British F3000 meeting at Silverstone. I was on the (old) beckets inside post. It was the infamous meeting where Pete Berry radiod through that the rear diff on a mini had seized.......

Seem to remember a certain Mr Coulthard in a FF race as well.
Old 24 Sep 2003, 12:16 (Ref:728650)   #52
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell Park, Easter 1993, Short Circuit Hairpin, Very Wet and wondering why I was running with a fire extinguisher.
Old 24 Sep 2003, 17:10 (Ref:728896)   #53
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first meeting was a BTCC meeting at Thruxton in 2001. No particular incidents spring to mind, but I do remember wondering why I had waited until I was 28 to start marshalling. All those wasted years!!!

A couple of seasons on the bank and an 'Introduction to Rescue' day lead to me joining the BARC Rescue Crew, even though the crew chief told me that it was likely to be 99% boredom.

He lied !!!!!!
Old 24 Sep 2003, 21:54 (Ref:729170)   #54
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First event was probably a CASC regional at Mosport in 1978. I'm a little fuzzy on exactly when because I'd practically grown up at the track, and it seemed like a seamless transition from track brat to marshal. I can't even remember which station I worked first, because I knew all of them pretty well before I was legally allowed to hop the fence.

As I recall, I first asked someone about working turns because the people in white on the other side of the spectator fence seemed to have the best view of the racing, and didn't get hit on by too many drunks (remember, this was Mosport in the 70's).

Interestingly, this was not long after women were allowed to become full marshals, rather than just "phone girls".

keke
Old 25 Sep 2003, 05:27 (Ref:729376)   #55
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Baron
He lied !!!!!!
It was true!

Since you joined the crew we never seem to have any quality donut time!

Actually that and a few other 'carefully chosen' phrases have now been retired after it was proved that my utterings were akin to pork pie eating (see seperate thread)!

Last edited by Teletubby; 25 Sep 2003 at 05:28.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 08:04 (Ref:729461)   #56
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
A cold wet rallycross in 2000..... seems like such a long time ago now........

We got no incidents, a small child was dropping rocks on my head from the pedestrian bridge and my rain gear leaked!
Old 25 Sep 2003, 19:18 (Ref:730038)   #57
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think it was 1993.. Post 15 at Thruxton with Damon Hill doing demo runs in a Williams as well.. was quite unbelievable stuff and still ranks at the top of all time marshalling experiences.

Ten years ago.. worrying stuff indeed..
Old 26 Sep 2003, 07:34 (Ref:730491)   #58
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Teletubby

Since you joined the crew we never seem to have any quality donut time!

You're telling me.... I'm begining to think that the donuts are only a malicious rumour

Maybe we'll get time this weekend?

(Oops, that's probably the kiss of death isn't it. If we have a busy weekend, it's nuffin' to do wiv me guvvnor )
Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:00 (Ref:730504)   #59
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I almost bought dougnuts for the day I spent on the unit a couple of weekends ago, but at the last minute decided that to increase the weight on the van might not be too good an idea. Next time maybe???
Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:25 (Ref:730520)   #60
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Sounds good to me, as long as I am there of course
Old 26 Sep 2003, 10:21 (Ref:730605)   #61
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll always remember my first day...freezing day in feb not a lot happened on track, but at the end of the day I was lifting the bottles down off the wall and ended up dropping a foam one on its handle resulting in me being showered with foam!!!
Old 26 Sep 2003, 10:26 (Ref:730608)   #62
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol... got a great mind picture of that. Thanks for sharing
Old 28 Sep 2003, 02:54 (Ref:732544)   #63
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
FCYTravis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first day was at Thunderhill Park in Willows, Calif. this year... for an SCCA drivers' school event. Neither the drivers or I knew what the heck we were doing, but I learned from the best... and boy did I need it!

That weekend, we had a rollover, a grass fire and a track-blocking accident on the cooloff lap... whereupon an instructor was almost rear-ended whilst pitting... all in my corner!

Talk about your crash course introduction

Needless to say, I was hooked... and I've worked 15 events and 39 days since... from the downpour that was the Grand Prix of Rain America to the sunbaked Sears Point hills.

Old 28 Sep 2003, 07:49 (Ref:732593)   #64
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First day was at the real Russell 'curve' at Snetts in September 1962. Those days it was a really quick "flick left flick right", which caught out the fool hardy who felt it was not on to lift!!

It was a European Saloon car event i think involving Alfas and especially the racing Fiat Arbarths with the rear engine covers wedged wide open! I believe one French driver was pulled over for having a cigarette whilst competing; he was one of only 2 entries in a class & just needed to finish to win his class! Still got the programme , but its at the bottom of a large pile, as you can imagine...............

Since then progression was uneven but the company improved year on year. A strange process where people of all ranks and professions join a crew and those that like it stay .So gradually a team is formed who act professionally week in and week out but always enjoy the social side of meeting old friends in the right surroundings.

I'm glad to say that my oldest and bestest mates have almost invariably come from long years ' on the bank'. You get to really know people in these situations.

Long may it last.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:58 (Ref:733240)   #65
Tim Norman
Rookie

Tim Norman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first post.

I started a bit later than Martin Shalders - my first meeting was at Brands at the end of October in 1970. BRSCC clubbie. Might even have met Dave Gilbert then or shortly afterwards. Post 4 - a great place for initiation and lots happened including a Mini on fire. In those days the bankings were earth and there wasn't much run-off space. Can't remember now who was on post but it was at the F2 Whitsun Crystal Palace (fabulous circuit) meeting in 1972 that I met up with Martin Shalders and Bob Illman (and have worked with them ever since). We ended up with our pictures on the front of The Times the following day after dealing with a fire at North Tower.

Can't remember when I first met Stephen Green's fellow moderator "Marshal" (otherwise known as Jonathan Dee) at Silverstone but I think he was out of nappies by then. His father, David Dee, must rank amongst the longest serving marshals currently on the bank - he told me at Goodwood a couple of years back, that he remembered the pits burning down (1958?) but I think he must have been too young to have been marshaling then.

Tim N
Old 30 Sep 2003, 01:13 (Ref:734728)   #66
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome FCYTravis! It's good to see another Yank marshal in the ranks. In fact, welcome to all the new 10-Tenths members in this thread. There's a lot of you.

I made it out of rookie status on the banks quickly; I'll make it out of rookie status in here yet!
Old 30 Sep 2003, 17:51 (Ref:735623)   #67
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1966, Castle Combe, I had already been competing for 2 years and my co-driver asked me to help marshalling at a club meeting as they were short.

I was on Quarry with Bob McKinnesse, the chief fire, and we had a formula ford hit the bank and catch fire where the fuel pipe pulled off the tank.

I remember trying to get the extinquisher to work and Bob leaning over through the flames and saying "like this" and pulled a pin out. next thing I'm enveloped in a cloud of dust and coughing and spluttering.

Fire went out though!

Since then I have worked upwards and outwards, and now have friends across the world through motorsport. (I am writing this while enjoying Blueflagger's hospitality in the Twin Cities, then moving down to Atlanta to see Lacerat for the Petit.)
Old 30 Sep 2003, 17:54 (Ref:735627)   #68
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob, Is that the same meeting that you reported Stirling Moss for overtaking under waved yellows!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by G Tanner; 30 Sep 2003 at 17:56.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 21:00 (Ref:738475)   #69
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ellough Kart Track (1978). Was third man on an ambulance crew. We were told that if they didn't get another marshal the meeting would have to be cancelled. So muggins here stepped forward. The rest as they say is history.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 21:55 (Ref:738545)   #70
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my first meeting was the start of the 1989 seson at brands hatch i was on the old post 7 we had a couple of incidents the best being a ferrari into the barrier.hello racegypsy say hello to blueflager for me and have a good time at petit .i wont be there this year
Old 2 Oct 2003, 22:08 (Ref:738568)   #71
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean
my first meeting was the start of the 1989 seson
and it was only a few years after that when you were my I/O for a BTC meeting at Donington after I'd expanded from hills to circuits - I'd guess about the end of my second season. You must have had quite a quick rise - it took me 2½ years to find enough Xs to lose my trainee grade. To all those newer marshals who complain about the lack of signatures, 'twas ever thus!
Old 2 Oct 2003, 22:56 (Ref:738601)   #72
sf2001
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
sf2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a round of the NI Kart championships at Bishopscourt... Flag Marshaling

Last edited by sf2001; 2 Oct 2003 at 22:56.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 12:23 (Ref:739250)   #73
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
first marshalling

Woodcote gap, Silverstone in the pouring rain I must be mad that did not put me off!!
Old 3 Oct 2003, 13:17 (Ref:739314)   #74
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woodcote gap Silverstone for PMC March 1999 should have been Woodcote Approach but did not know the circuit and got lost.

There was also the training day at Donnington dragged along by the wife to see what Marshlling is all about. After the morning session on basic Marshalling and incident handling in the afternoon with Medical (do we really get to play with drips {no not rescue crew} and all that stuff) we joined their and then. Have not looked back since.

Done most things from Lawnmower down to F1, and most English circuits.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 21:40 (Ref:739853)   #75
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woodcote gap seems to be a common starting place? My first marshaling day on a Race Track (I'd only Rally Marshaled till then) was the Marshals Club(BMRMC) meeting at Silverstone 1985/86?? I remember a formula ford race won by Paul Warwick on his debut, I think. Also a certain Alan McNish was on the podium or thereabouts.

An interesting note is, that was the first meeting I took my very 'New' girlfriend to, and she ripped her Jeans on the fencing and was not amused(Ooooerr)!
We've been married for 14 Years this year, ;-).
Stay safe,

Jim Lamb