Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 11 Nov 2003, 18:57 (Ref:780160)   #1
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second Camera Body

OK gents a little advice I currently have:

canon eos500n body
canon 28-80mm f3.5-f5.6 lens
canon 75-300mm f4-f5.6 lens

I use the stuff for a variety of things mostly either motorsport or travel photography including wildlfe.

I have decided to buy a second camera body, mainly so I can use one as a back-up on trips to less developed countries in case something happens to my exisiting body and I'm not able to easily repair or replace it.

Having a second body would also remove the pain in the ass swapping from one lens to another all the time.

Any suggestions on the best Canon model for the second body - budget is not a constraint but I'd rather not pay a fortune for a body if it doesn't give me much extra, if I wanted to spend a fortune I'll do that on a lens!

Andy
Old 11 Nov 2003, 20:40 (Ref:780254)   #2
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have myself come to the conclusion that a second body would be a reasonable investment to avoid the pain of missing shots by having the wrong lens fitted, plus a backup. I'm sorry but I'm not really familiar with the 500 having started my EOS life with a 600 but I will assume they have basically the same features.

Earlier this year I decided to upgrade my trusty EOS600 to something with mirror lock-up and an adjustable dioptre. After much research of new and used bodies, I found that an EOS 1N was perfect for my needs, and, as this was once the 'pro-spec' model, it is built like a tank and lovely to use. It is also very affordable at around £500 for a MINT- example, not pristine but everything working and little signs of use.

I intend purchasing another over the winter to attach to my big lens and sling it over my shoulder when wandering around fields.

I find batteries last much longer in the 1N than the 600, even though I shoot more now than I ever have.

Other than the 1N, you might want to consider a used D30 body as these are very affordable now and a good entry into digital shennanigans. And it could also give you instant feedback metering tricky once-in-a-lifetime subjects in some far-flung place.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 22:14 (Ref:780334)   #3
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have said the EOS 30 or 33, but if you can stretch to a 1N it'd almost certainly be worth it (especially in terms of build quality)

Check out Jessops second hand stuff, cos i know there's a few D30's listed - www.jessops.com/used
Old 12 Nov 2003, 14:04 (Ref:781051)   #4
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advice gents - I'm currently working in Toronto for the forseeable future does anyone know any trustworthy places for used equipment.....
Old 12 Nov 2003, 14:47 (Ref:781075)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Henry's is the main one (www.henrys.ca), they have multiple Toronto area shops, but the big used inventory is at their downtown (Queen and Jarvis IIRC) location.

I'm afraid I don't know much else about camera shops - my favourite was Alt Camera, and they went out of business about a year and a half ago.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Nov 2003, 13:37 (Ref:782045)   #6
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EOS 5 is another to consider, about half the price of the 1N secondhand and still quite well-built - but no dioptre adjustment