Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Dec 2003, 05:08 (Ref:818683)   #1
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

jamescrofts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Parmalat!

Just heard on BBC News 24 that Parmalat have gone bust. Parmalat were for a long time a sponsor in Formula 1. Niki Lauda is famous for his Parmalat cap. Will he need a new one?

Parmalat on BBC News, click here!
Old 23 Dec 2003, 06:58 (Ref:818713)   #2
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of the Niki Lauda situation, i think he gave up using that cap after some issue with them. I remember he was parading the thing aorund with black tape covering over the Parmalat writing.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 07:28 (Ref:818723)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a very sad story, Niki's hat it's not exactly the most important side of the matter.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 07:30 (Ref:818725)   #4
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

jamescrofts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
It's a very sad story, Niki's hat it's not exactly the most important side of the matter.
I have to agree as the Parmalat situation afects many people and another Motorsport supporter goes to the wall.

James
Old 23 Dec 2003, 07:38 (Ref:818727)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It hasnt gone to the wall just yet... the business has some problems in finding where it had lodged some funds with 2 banks, one in the Caymans, another an American bank

The Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi has stated his government will help Parmalat out of its trading difficulties.

Its a shame, and yet another iconic brandname in financial difficulties
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 23 Dec 2003, 07:52 (Ref:818733)   #6
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yea Lauda finished wearing that cap after the 2001 season.If memory serves me, the story was that Parmalat just haven't stoped sponsoring him for that long until the end of 2001 when they suddenly did (a truly impolitic marketing move by them).Since then he wears another red cap with a Wiessmann logo on it.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 08:03 (Ref:818738)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
GTRM.

I suspect there'll be some protest from other EU members if the Italian Government does bail them out. Remember a number of European airlines either went bang or came close after 9/11 and the eU was precluded from assisting.

But it is a shame. The Parmalat Brabhams were among my favourites of the late seventies/early eighties.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 08:12 (Ref:818744)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that the only manouvre Government will do is to make pressure on banks to rembourse frauded savers, who were adviced to purchase Parmalat bonds by those banks, who did it to recover some of their exposition, abusing of savers' faith.
anyways I agree with you Peter, those parmalat Brabhams were real good looking.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 08:20 (Ref:818749)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I dont doubt that Peter, but the Italian government apparently has a history of placing some large orders with companies not feeling well financially.... Olivetti springs to mind....

Bondholders are usually one of the last on the list to be repaid I'm afraid Climb

At least if the company still trades, there is a shot at repayment eventually, whereas a breakup will just collapse any hope of funds returned
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 23 Dec 2003, 08:26 (Ref:818756)   #10
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Being only 19, I havn't seen those Parmalat-Brabhams racing but Parmalat's banana yoghourt will surely miss.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 08:37 (Ref:818765)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a thought but this covers wider issues than just F1. Would it be better in PF?
Old 23 Dec 2003, 08:38 (Ref:818766)   #12
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After Brabham, Parmalat bankrolled Pedro Diniz's career at Forti, Ligier and Arrows thanks to his dad's position in a Brazilian Supermarket chain that stocked Parmalat.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 08:43 (Ref:818770)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It likely would Peter...

I too liked the Parmalat Brabhams, although never got to see them race in person
Old 23 Dec 2003, 09:24 (Ref:818791)   #14
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i would not miss the milky stuff but i would miss the great juices ..

Ciao Marco
Old 23 Dec 2003, 21:22 (Ref:819386)   #15
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahh yes. Those Gordon Murray designed Brabhams. Great livery, that blue and white with Parmalat
Old 24 Dec 2003, 04:36 (Ref:819651)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes but the red ones were even better!
Old 24 Dec 2003, 05:37 (Ref:819677)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The red and blue ones were the better looking... especially as olivetti eventually took the place of Parmalat on the side of the Brabhams without changing the colour scheme a lot... they actually looked like the 2003 Williams in that respect

What surprises me about cars of that era is how utilitarian they look compared to today's thoroughbreds. Everything has a place and is used for full effect, but the overengineering, or prettying up the work environment didnt seem to happen in that time...
Old 24 Dec 2003, 11:50 (Ref:819887)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The brabhams from 70 to 80's are one of the most beautiful cars from my memories, they looked like a wheeled rocket.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 11:54 (Ref:819891)   #19
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
The red and blue ones were the better looking... especially as olivetti eventually took the place of Parmalat on the side of the Brabhams without changing the colour scheme a lot... they actually looked like the 2003 Williams in that respect
Both being funded by BMW, not that surprising then?
Old 24 Dec 2003, 17:27 (Ref:820100)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 'mini-enron' was how I heard it described...what with Kirch and now Parmalat, it doesn't bode well making money in F1 lately.