Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jan 2004, 17:51 (Ref:827500)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Alcohol sponsorship and LeMans ???

Here's one for our French boy's to answer . Ive just been looking through some LeMans annuals and Ive noticed that the TRG Porsche had sponsorship from "Adobe Road winery" and the Corvette's had sponsorship from "Bullyhill winery" as well as a few others . My question is to you ..... how can they have alcohol sponsorship when it is supposed to be illegal in France . Or maybe wine is classed as a food in France like Beer is classed as a food in Germany ?

Wouldnt it be great to have "Martini" back with a psycadelic Dome or even the very attractive scheme that was used on the 1971 917 winner . After all "Martini" is only a fortified wine , isn't it ?

Answer's please .....
Old 4 Jan 2004, 18:49 (Ref:827561)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Or maybe wine is classed as a food in France like Beer is classed as a food in Germany ?
I think you are right.
The McLaren F1 car had no Warsteiner stickers in this years GP.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 20:10 (Ref:827616)   #3
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Wine is indeed classified as 'food' in France
Old 4 Jan 2004, 20:10 (Ref:827617)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah ..... but my point is , wine is alcohol !!! Either there is a ban on alcohol advertizing or there is not . It just seems a little strange is all .
Old 4 Jan 2004, 20:13 (Ref:827619)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
Wine is indeed classified as 'food' in France
Is that how they get around that issue then ?

Martini is also a type of wine , vermout , why cant they advertise that then ? I wish all these stupid european laws would wise up . What happened to free trade . Sorry I dont mean to bring polotics into this .
Old 5 Jan 2004, 02:00 (Ref:827865)   #6
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, why the exception? They should have smudged the rules to allow the Martini R8 that so *nearly* happened.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 03:13 (Ref:827896)   #7
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dude its france.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 06:11 (Ref:827939)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy
dude its france.
I'm sorry to say that... you're right !

french governement has always been incoherent and irelevant on this topic ; due to the vintners' pressure, I think.

That's why wine is not considered as a classical "alcohol" in France. Sorry mates !
Old 5 Jan 2004, 08:27 (Ref:827993)   #9
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So if I ever get pulled after downing a few bottles of red in Europe I can claim not to have been drinking but eating??
Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:35 (Ref:828317)   #10
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
I think the reason is that these alcohols are not actually sold in France
The same law applies to tobaccos. And there's been a McLaren in 1997 sponsored by Lark, a japanese tobacco brand
Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:59 (Ref:828693)   #11
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by bernard b
...And there's been a McLaren in 1997 sponsored by Lark, a japanese tobacco brand
This sponsor was hidden and nearly illegible on this very beautiful grey and pink Mc Laren.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 20:12 (Ref:828707)   #12
martins
Rookie

martins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do I remember correctly that Toyota was sponsered by Marlboro at their second appearence with the GT-One, without 'Marlboro' standing on the car?

If yes, that must have been an astonshing effort of Toyota's sponsership department...
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:46 (Ref:829056)   #13
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by martins
Do I remember correctly that Toyota was sponsered by Marlboro at their second appearence with the GT-One, without 'Marlboro' standing on the car?

If yes, that must have been an astonshing effort of Toyota's sponsership department...
A logo has more effect than you think.
What's that car again which never wares it's brand name written?
Well, I'd rather have a star in my windshield than on my grille!
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:48 (Ref:829058)   #14
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry guys, a crack in your windshield is usually called a star where I come from
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:51 (Ref:829059)   #15
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The interesting thing was the shape of the logo in the 99 Toyota. The Ferraris at the French GP had to change their 'peaks' to squares because they were considered too close to the logo. I wonder how Toyota argued theirs was more part of the paint job.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 08:46 (Ref:829198)   #16
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at Schlesser Dakar buggies, you see a "GGOOOOOOOO !" sticker on the doors, but everyone knows it stands for Gauloises a french tobacco brand.

Brands and logos are such well known that you always refer to them, without having the full name written.

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 6 Jan 2004, 08:47 (Ref:829199)   #17
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW Wine isn't alcohol, it's life !

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 6 Jan 2004, 12:09 (Ref:829339)   #18
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilles
BTW Wine isn't alcohol, it's life !
Now there's someone that speaks sense!!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:54 (Ref:834582)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by PascaLM
This sponsor was hidden and nearly illegible on this very beautiful grey and pink Mc Laren.
Nearly illegible is not illegible
Old 11 Jan 2004, 20:04 (Ref:834590)   #20
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
Nearly illegible is not illegible
I never smoked any L**K !