Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 12 Jan 2012, 17:15 (Ref:3010790)   #226
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Apparently Dragon Racing is going to be a two-car team for Bourdais and Legge. What...how...where did this come from? Who is paying for this?
On another season I've read an interresting theory saying that Roger Penske might have placed Bourdais in Jay's team, in order to keep him close, as a possible future replacement for Castroneves or Briscoe. Pure silly-season speculation, of course

Either way I can imagine that Legge's backing has helped to put in place that second car for Bourdais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I hope any possible Dragon move with Bourdais doesn't interfere with his LeMans aspirations. Otherwise, its a pleasant surprise that he's back.
Yea, that's very intriguing, surely he can't be full time in both IndyCar and Le Mans Series, there's a few dates conflicts AFAIK.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3010899)   #227
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at least we now have 2 British ladies on the Indycar grid so want is the British count this year please?

Last edited by skells22; 12 Jan 2012 at 20:58. Reason: did not see the list that Danicafan put
Old 12 Jan 2012, 22:29 (Ref:3010935)   #228
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Apparently Dragon Racing is going to be a two-car team for Bourdais and Legge. What...how...where did this come from? Who is paying for this?
Story Here

Presumably this is where the 'TrueCar' sponsorship shall land...

And a surprise that this team shall use Lotus engines... not like there will be loads of cross pollination from the 'big' Penske to the 'little' Penske when the motors arent the same Or are they hedging their bets?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 13 Jan 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3011047)   #229
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the two Dragon cars we'll see almost 30 cars full time next year...I heard a lot of bad things about the series, especially in this forum, but the car count seems to show the interest not only from drivers and team owners to be in the series, but, more importantly, from the sponsors...they seems to be interested and find interesting to be in IndyCar...maybe this series it's not so bad...
Old 13 Jan 2012, 09:43 (Ref:3011065)   #230
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
With the two Dragon cars we'll see almost 30 cars full time next year...I heard a lot of bad things about the series, especially in this forum, but the car count seems to show the interest not only from drivers and team owners to be in the series, but, more importantly, from the sponsors...they seems to be interested and find interesting to be in IndyCar...maybe this series it's not so bad...
But who knows how much Indy pays to the teams, to get their cars on the grid. And who knows if we'll really see 30 cars throughout the season.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3011200)   #231
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
But who knows how much Indy pays to the teams, to get their cars on the grid. And who knows if we'll really see 30 cars throughout the season.
In the last years we saw 26/27/28 cars each race...this year seems to be stronger, but also if it's the same, it's really positive...how many open wheel category can guarantee 28/30 cars per race? I think 0 (at least for professional categories)...
Old 13 Jan 2012, 16:33 (Ref:3011258)   #232
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is a good sign, but car count is not the most perfect measure of a series' health. They still have never seen a profit as a series, and part of that is from their subsidization of the teams as DS" mentions. The shorter schedule makes it just a little more affordable for the teams, and I assume after the initial cost the new car was designed to save money. It is always nice to see new sponsors, too, but not all of them are very legitimate, reputable companies that are going to really do much to promote the sport and draw interest to it.

I don't want to be the one to turn everything into a negative. I am very excited to have Sébastien Bourdais back in the sport, and glad Dragon Racing has found a way to answer the bell assuming all these deals hold by the time we get to St. Petersburg. However, I am not quite ready to declare IndyCar healthy because of how many cars show up. It may be a step toward health, but not there yet.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3011264)   #233
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The proof is in the TV ratings and the stand count. NBC Sports may very well help with recognition. It looks like the car-count will be well into the twenties anyway if you factors out the deals that will probably disintegrate before the season starts.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3011351)   #234
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
In the last years we saw 26/27/28 cars each race...this year seems to be stronger, but also if it's the same, it's really positive...how many open wheel category can guarantee 28/30 cars per race? I think 0 (at least for professional categories)...
It depends of what you call a "professional category" I guess... Can IndyCar be called a "professional category" when the majority of the drivers bring money to their team, to some extend?

How would the car count be with no "ride buyers" anyway? We're talking about million of dollars per year for most cases. Without this money, I wouldn't be surprised if a few cars would have to be left in the shops taking dust.

Is there any kind of absolute "professional category" left in today's auto racing world BTW? A series with zero "pay drivers" - DTM perhaps?

BTW, just to name an international open wheel series with 30 cars/race(without taking account of that controversial "professional category" point): GP3. A series with rather cheap and underwhelming machinery, and sometimes strange driving standards. Sounds vaguely familiar
Old 13 Jan 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3011426)   #235
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!

Old 13 Jan 2012, 23:53 (Ref:3011435)   #236
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

That car already looks a bit better with a proper livery
Old 13 Jan 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3011436)   #237
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably this is the engine test chassis?

With all those winglets on the front wing... the DW12 must have been a mega understeerer when first tested! And maybe not so much better now!

The teams need a graphics design process to accentuate the pretty parts of the car and defocus on the not so pretty parts...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Jan 2012, 03:52 (Ref:3011476)   #238
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can tolerate everything behind the front wheels, but I've seen a better Nose on Michael Jackson!
Old 14 Jan 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3011608)   #239
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's better with livery but it's still an ugly vulture and it looks rushed. The little wings added to compensate for the structural inadequacies of a nervous car makes me nervous. They've juggled a bit of ballast inside there too last I read.

I do like it that they are having another crack at Milwaukee, NBC Sports promises a higher viewership and plenty of teams have signed up to be on the grid at the opener. So we got a few little nuggets to put in the otherside of the weighing scales too.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3011860)   #240
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Tracy driving for Dale Coyne Racing this year?
Old 15 Jan 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3011879)   #241
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DCR would make sense as he will have Honda engines, which will be a key requirement with Tracy having sponsorship from Honda Canada
Old 15 Jan 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3011952)   #242
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Presumably this is the engine test chassis?
It will also be Bourdais's car at Dragon Racing. Which is moving to Marina Del Ray, CA on the behalf of Lotus.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...-HQ-California

Old 15 Jan 2012, 16:31 (Ref:3011958)   #243
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Sponsorship from Microsoft and McAfee - Wow, good job by Dragon!
Old 15 Jan 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3012057)   #244
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
That's really hard to look at. I thought they were getting a new oval aero package to improve performance, and hopefully aesthetics as a result?

That angle isn't even the worst. This is where it really looks awful:

http://assets.speedtv.com/images/art...img_large1.JPG
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6169/...c9767655bc.jpg
http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2011/vi...ar-cockpit.jpg

I want a safe car that races well (whatever that means), so looks aren't a priority, but...when it looks as bad as it does in those three images, regardless of livery, it's just hard to watch.
Most open wheelers these days look pretty average but that takes ugly to a whole new level..
Old 15 Jan 2012, 22:31 (Ref:3012095)   #245
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
It will also be Bourdais's car at Dragon Racing. Which is moving to Marina Del Ray, CA on the behalf of Lotus.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...-HQ-California
If this wasnt being led by a 'Penske' you might think it to be a pipedream

Not sure why they would take a 'rent-a-chassis' with plenty of miles aboard by the time it is delivered and make it the #1 driver's primary car, but presumably they know what they are doing....

Time for a new list?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Jan 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3012096)   #246
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AFS Racing
Ordered a car, probably a rotation of Schmidt drivers (Cunningham, Plowman, Tung, etc).

A.J. Foyt Enterprises (Honda)
14. Mike Conway
Still working on a second car; could be a part-time effort with Bertrand Baguette.

Andretti Autosport (Chevrolet)
26. Marco Andretti
27. James Hinchcliffe
28. Ryan Hunter-Reay
Fourth car not likely.

Bryan Herta Autosport (Lotus)
x. Alex Tagliani

Chip Ganassi Racing (Honda)
9. Scott Dixon
10. Dario Franchitti
38. Graham Rahal
83. Charlie Kimball
Had been rumors of a fifth car for Takuma Sato, but not strong ones.

Conquest Racing (Lotus)
They insist their LMP2 effort is in addition to their IndyCar one, but I'm less than convinced. Ride-buyers like Esteban Guerrieri (who is actually talented), Gustavo Yacamán (who is not), etc. will flock to this ride if it exists; could easily be a rotation of many.

Dale Coyne Racing (Honda)
18. Paul Tracy (not super official yet)
19. Justin Wilson (not super official yet)
Still uncertainty if Tracy partners Wilson, or if the Wilson deal isn't happening, or if P.T. is even really going here.

Davey Hamilton Racing
Nothing concrete here, but some type of limited schedule with Brandon Wagner is talked about from time-to-time.

Dragon Racing (Lotus)

?. Sébastien Bourdais
?. Katherine Legge
TrueCar, Microsoft, and McAfee branding on the cars to some extent.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (Lotus)
22. Oriol ServiÃ* (not super official yet)
Second car is ??? with Legge headed elsewhere.

Ed Carpenter Racing
20. Ed Carpenter

HVM Racing (Lotus)
78. Simona de Silvestro
Second car for Jean Alesi at the Indianapolis 500 possible.

KV Racing Technology (Chevrolet)

11?. Tony Kanaan
59?. E.J. Viso
Third car will either be Esteban Guerrieri or a European driver.

MSR Indy (Lotus)
No word on who will drive the 60 car; could be Justin Wilson, but doesn't seem too probable despite his involvement with their Grand-Am team. They want someone with experience; ServiÃ* had been linked here before

Panther Racing (Chevrolet)

4. J.R. Hildebrand
Working on second car; Ana Beatriz and Pippa Mann presently linked to it, but it's not likely.

Team Penske (Chevrolet)
2. Ryan Briscoe
3. Hélio Castroneves
12. Will Power

RLL Racing (Honda)
Takuma Sato is a leading candidate. Also talking with Oriol ServiÃ*. Jay Howard has a ride, #66, with Service Central sponsorship. No word if full-time or part-time, but apparently it has to do with RLL.

Sam Schmidt Motorsports (Honda)
77. Simon Pagenaud
May run a second car of rotating drivers, at least part-time, but they may just use another team (i.e. AFS or Dragon) to do that.

Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing
67. Josef Newgarden
Old 16 Jan 2012, 22:40 (Ref:3012576)   #247
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Katherine Legge will use #6, assuming Bourdais will be #8. Kanaan has #11 again.

Esteban Guerrieri all but confirmed with KV. Very close.

Anders Krohn may have something soon. Can't imagine it'd be a very good something. Like the guy, but not quite IndyCar material, I don't think, at least not yet.

Bryan Clauson could have a deal with Foyt to run all four oval races next year.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3012590)   #248
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Seems like a really solid field!

Still some engine deals to be announced it seems, but Dallara should be confident of selling out their chassis allocation, plus spares galore!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 Jan 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3012891)   #249
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
http://youtu.be/9jYcS9lVHl4

Sebring
Old 17 Jan 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3012906)   #250
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
DRR have confirmed Orial Servia on thier facebook page.