Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 2 Jul 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3272833)   #226
Member CCC
Rookie

Member CCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel TV3 View Post
Hi CDM,

Some good questions.

Both Shaun and I believe we have a responsibility to support, foster and encourage Motorsport in New Zealand, it is a responsibility we take seriously and endeavour to do the best we can with the available resources at our disposal. Our aim is to broadcast as much local content as possible plus the big ticket items like DTM & MotoGP. Of the 65 Hours of motorsport screened by CRC Motorsport this year, over two thirds has been local content, and we are pretty proud of that. The criteria to give a category airtime is simple... will it benefit the viewer? .. I will play anything that has good grids and reasonable production standards but I also need to be fiscally responsible to the Show's Sponsor and the Network, if not I jeopardise the only regular Free to Air Motorsport Show currently playing on NZ television. With local motorsport there is always the issue of budget and this effects the quality of the product delivered to the Network.. it is a fine balance of making the Programme as cheaply as possible without it looking crap on air.. sometimes we struggle to achieve both priorities but we do our best. Both Shaun and I welcome any queries from categories wanting Airtime.

Regards
Nigel Carpenter
Producer CRC Motorsport.
Are you serious Nigel maybe you should read back through some of your old posts as Vanishing Point! I can't see anything in there that you have written that has helped foster NZ Motorsport, to the contrary what you and TV3 have done has been destructive to the sport and played a big role in the shambles of NZ Motorsports right now! What you have done is a disgrace and you should have resigned or been dismissed! Maybe you should take your own post below and apply it to your own situation!

Vanishing Point
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick
Who was it? And where were the comments? ie does public mean in a speech? in print? or overheard by a mates brothers cousin in a pub up north?
Ok... I reckon Shane Harris or Brian Bud.. My money is on the latter. C'mon Drakie who was it? If it is true and they work for MSNZ they should be fired..
Old 2 Jul 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3273072)   #227
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the last episode of CRC last night (recorded on my panisonic recorder, as I don't have sky), and in particular the offshore powerboats.

Im sure here you have a good example of a series with extremely few actual spectators, and possibly very processional racing, and not many competitors, but with good editing and information becomes a very entertaining segment.

I like Jamie doing the commentary & solo is fine. In his opening minutes he taught & showed interesting facts about the differences in the boats. During the programme they showed good airtime of lots of the lower competitors in lower places and I think if I was a sponsor, I would be pretty chuffed.

Sure, they use a helicopter for 99% of their footage, and I think the television is 4-5 weeks behind the actual race, but whoever is putting that package together is doing a great job.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3273118)   #228
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member CCC View Post
I can't see anything in there that you have written that has helped foster NZ Motorsport, to the contrary what you and TV3 have done has been destructive to the sport and played a big role in the shambles of NZ Motorsports right now! What you have done is a disgrace and you should have resigned or been dismissed!
Since when was it TV3's job to foster motorsport?
I can't see where TV3 could ever be accused of being destructive.
Apart from the moronic speedway commentator, all commentators and presenters have done a fine job and that includes Shaun, Andy Booth Shane Drake, Roger, Jamie etc.

The packages that we presented to Sky TV in the past were to the same professional standards as any other items, (Jamie McCarthy did a fine job of learning and presenting our philosophy. With instructions to the editor to spread coverage across the field, that is exactly what we got.)

But, even if we were to revisit getting a TV package put together, getting it shown just once isn't a good use of our resources.

Even though I was critical of Sky's attitude and lack of committment to showing our stuff, they always showed it more than once (even if it was at strange times) and apparently, it was occasionally shown in the middle of the night, weeks later, but that was never communicated to us when it would be used, as that was a Sky TV decision and nothing to do with the company who put it all together.

As TV3 doesn't put the money into the filming at our level - and nor does MSNZ, it is left to us to raise the cash.

As a series, we handed over $25,000+ to MSNZ this year. $16,500 (two thirds) of that as race licences and the other third is race levies. At $3,000 plus for ten minutes of race coverage, surely, using some of the race levy money just once a year would enable coverage of a wider variety of motorsport coverage? Lets face it, if our series was less successful, MSNZ would get a lower income, so conversely, the more successful we are, the better it is for MSNZ?

I am pretty sure that if we approached TV3 with a promised TV package, even if just one race per season and others did the same, we'd get a far wider coverage, but at the moment, we are not really interested in spending a whole season's sponsorship income for ten minutes of TV coverage, when we already have good numbers of drivers and generally, good grids and good racing - and our sponsors are happy. We don't NEED TV3 to foster the interest, as that is happening anyway.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3273120)   #229
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
GB & Club Racer.. Here are some interesting facts you may be interested in. When CRC Motorsport/TV3 screened Supercars they averaged between 18% - 24% Rating (percentage of people watching TV at that time) Now Supercars are on Sky they average between 3% - 5% Rating. This is excluding Puke and Bathurst. Maybe Supercars are not as popular as we think?
Maybe Sky is not as popular as we think
Old 2 Jul 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3273127)   #230
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Socram I think you missed the part where a very senior tv3 sport person used another login on here to attack various elements of the sport and post a whole heap of lies and generally stirred the pot in a negative manner
Old 2 Jul 2013, 22:00 (Ref:3273130)   #231
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Let's face it, Member CCC makes even Swedish Brick look like a genius
Old 2 Jul 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3273132)   #232
Swedish Brick
Racer

What can I say. I'm smarter than your average farm animal.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3273138)   #233
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Socram I think you missed the part where a very senior tv3 sport person used another login on here to attack various elements of the sport and post a whole heap of lies and generally stirred the pot in a negative manner
Yeah, well, some people have held their hands up to a mistake and stopped doing it, so that is no longer relevant.

Others haven't.

It's been nice round here lately, lets keep it that way.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3273141)   #234
Swedish Brick
Racer

Well it was relevant to socrams comment. And to the poster socram was replying to.
And extremely very very relevant to the happenings around the sport and the politics that went on re TV airings and public statements made on certain tv shows.
So sorry Woolly, but I disagree extremely strongly (as I'm sure many on here do) with the not relevant statement.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3273147)   #235
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
GB & Club Racer.. Here are some interesting facts you may be interested in. When CRC Motorsport/TV3 screened Supercars they averaged between 18% - 24% Rating (percentage of people watching TV at that time) Now Supercars are on Sky they average between 3% - 5% Rating. This is excluding Puke and Bathurst. Maybe Supercars are not as popular as we think?
I guess I am one of the 3-5% then, because I am stoked to see V8 Supercars LIVE for every round.
If the stats mentioned were that good when TV3 had it, why the hell wasn't it live???

I guess it comes down to the number of people watching at midnight when us poorly treated fans finally got to see the racing.
Do we assume that four of the twenty people watching had the V8s on and the other 16 are hooked on informercials?
Old 3 Jul 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3273168)   #236
Nigel TV3
Racer

Nigel TV3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
I guess I am one of the 3-5% then, because I am stoked to see V8 Supercars LIVE for every round.
If the stats mentioned were that good when TV3 had it, why the hell wasn't it live???

I guess it comes down to the number of people watching at midnight when us poorly treated fans finally got to see the racing.
Do we assume that four of the twenty people watching had the V8s on and the other 16 are hooked on informercials?
Fair comment Blue Blood, I agree the best place for Supercars is Sky, but what I am concerned about is the thousands of Fans that don't have Sky and miss out.. Ideally it should be live on Sky and then delayed on a Free to Air Channel... and then everybody wins. At the moment the audience for Supercars has been reduced considerably now that it is on Sky, and that is not good news for Sponsors and Teams. You ask why Supercars wasn't Live on TV3? because the economics simply did not stack up... which is a shame... a lot more people watch TV3 News than Supercars.. so in that respect Sky is the best place for the category. Hope I have answered your question.
Old 3 Jul 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3273175)   #237
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Since when was it TV3's job to foster motorsport?
I can't see where TV3 could ever be accused of being destructive.
Apart from the moronic speedway commentator, all commentators and presenters have done a fine job and that includes Shaun, Andy Booth Shane Drake, Roger, Jamie etc.

The packages that we presented to Sky TV in the past were to the same professional standards as any other items, (Jamie McCarthy did a fine job of learning and presenting our philosophy. With instructions to the editor to spread coverage across the field, that is exactly what we got.)

But, even if we were to revisit getting a TV package put together, getting it shown just once isn't a good use of our resources.

Even though I was critical of Sky's attitude and lack of committment to showing our stuff, they always showed it more than once (even if it was at strange times) and apparently, it was occasionally shown in the middle of the night, weeks later, but that was never communicated to us when it would be used, as that was a Sky TV decision and nothing to do with the company who put it all together.

As TV3 doesn't put the money into the filming at our level - and nor does MSNZ, it is left to us to raise the cash.

As a series, we handed over $25,000+ to MSNZ this year. $16,500 (two thirds) of that as race licences and the other third is race levies. At $3,000 plus for ten minutes of race coverage, surely, using some of the race levy money just once a year would enable coverage of a wider variety of motorsport coverage? Lets face it, if our series was less successful, MSNZ would get a lower income, so conversely, the more successful we are, the better it is for MSNZ?

I am pretty sure that if we approached TV3 with a promised TV package, even if just one race per season and others did the same, we'd get a far wider coverage, but at the moment, we are not really interested in spending a whole season's sponsorship income for ten minutes of TV coverage, when we already have good numbers of drivers and generally, good grids and good racing - and our sponsors are happy. We don't NEED TV3 to foster the interest, as that is happening anyway.
Hi Socram, here is some info you might find helpful. I would be keen to play your Category on CRC Motorsport... you provide good grids and great racing. I am in the process of scheduling 2014 so if you wish to chat I am happy to. When it comes to bums on seats as a rule Free to Air Television delivers higher numbers than Pay TV, even if there are multiple screenings, free to air gives the advertisers and sponsors more bang for their buck. The TV Broadcasting landscape is changing rapidly at the moment and this will impact on Motorsport, hopefully in a positive way.
Old 3 Jul 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3273176)   #238
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must confess, that I haven't bothered watching V8 Super Cars on Sky - at all... It doesn't really rock my boat.

I may well watch TV3 on a Sunday afternoon - at a time when it is good to relax with a coffee and with the feet up for a couple of hours, but I certainly don't tape it and watch it later - unless there is something specific I want to watch.

In that respect, I often missed the intros and the comments, so if an anti MSNZ comment was made on air, I missed it. I think some people are obviously not aware of what some of the people quoted on here have said away from the general public, but not in secret either. If you are going to have a major disagreement with someone influential, or if you are someone influential, then best do it behind totally closed doors and make sure there are no witnesses!

Just because this board has been cleaned up, doesn't mean that all is sweetness and light out there!

If and when Sky gets a dedicated motoring channel, we will still be faced with the fact that a live OB is a lot more expensive than an edited package and if there are three race meetings on a Sunday throughout NZ, contributing to any TV coverage, then none are likely to be live anyway. Who really cares? It is a weekend sport, so you can't ever have everything live on TV, even if you wanted it.

PS: Thanks Nigel. Please send me a PM!
Old 5 Jul 2013, 04:35 (Ref:3274112)   #239
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to read in this mornings paper that MotoGP has gone to Sommet Sports (Officially launching in 10 days on Freeview, are they available on Sky TV?), no more coverage on TV3?
Old 5 Jul 2013, 05:43 (Ref:3274119)   #240
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Interesting to read in this mornings paper that MotoGP has gone to Sommet Sports (Officially launching in 10 days on Freeview, are they available on Sky TV?), no more coverage on TV3?
Hi Biggy, business as usual at CRC Motorsport. MotoGP will continue to play as a Highlights Package on a weeks delay... so the hardcore fans can watch it Live and evryone else can tune in to us... win win for everybody.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 05:57 (Ref:3274124)   #241
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I must confess, that I haven't bothered watching V8 Super Cars on Sky - at all... It doesn't really rock my boat.

I may well watch TV3 on a Sunday afternoon

LIVE V8 action this weekend on SKY Sport 4 - the SUCROGEN TOWNSVILLE 400

Saturday:

1.43pm: Qualifying

3.03pm: Top 10 Shootout

5.10pm: Race 20

Sunday:

2.43pm: Qualifying 2

5.30pm: Race 21
Old 10 Jul 2013, 02:02 (Ref:3276140)   #242
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=socram;3273118]

QUOTE]

Ray, MSNZ paying for your class (then subsequently every one elses) to have a one off small free-to-air programme is NOT responsible use of funds. I believe that Brian Budd has addressed your points regarding the fees, are you unhappy with his answers?

The use of the Internet and You Tube would be a far more cost effective approach, that could possibly target even more people (as shown by the MSA in your home country)
Old 10 Jul 2013, 02:59 (Ref:3276163)   #243
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I wasn't entirely happy with Brian's response but my point was that as a successful series regularly contributing a substantial amount to MSNZ coffers, I would have thought that even a $3-$4k rebate towards TV coverage out of what we hand over, now and again, would be a gesture that would be appreciated and might well produce a wider and better TV coverage than some of the stuff we have had to endure in recent years with too many 9 car grids. Seemingly that is not the case and we will now work with CRC/TV3 without any backing or support from MSNZ, as Nigel is very keen to see our series shown at least once in 2014.

This is not just exclusively for the ERC Series either as there are other successful series in the country, below Tier 1, who probably feel as I do.

As I have all our attendance figures for the last 27 years, when I have time, I'll work out what we have paid to MSNZ over that period of time in levies and licence fees. I accept of course that some drivers do other events, (I don't, nor do several others) but my point to MSNZ is that despite the considerable contribution to MSNZ funds, as a series, we don't have a specific vote - not even a thank you nor any real support.

I hope we can raise additional sponsorship for a 1 hour programme next season as if we can't, then it won't happen.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:10 (Ref:3276164)   #244
Swedish Brick
Racer

MSNZ paying for some to get TV out of fees would no doubt bring out those vehemently opposed to MSNZ having anything to do with promotion
Old 10 Jul 2013, 07:03 (Ref:3276194)   #245
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
MSNZ paying for some to get TV out of fees would no doubt bring out those vehemently opposed to MSNZ having anything to do with promotion
And each driver in every other series that pays the same fee's per driver as you do, why should what they have paid go towards you?

IMO each series should be in charge of and have to fund it's own promotion,
no matter if it is Tier 1, Supertourers, sanctioned series are club racing.

IMO if a race series is good enough and worth promoting
then there should be enough sponsorship and deals to be done by that class to fund it.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 09:31 (Ref:3276233)   #246
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DX20VT...you are so right, each class must fund any publicity or TV themselves

MSNZ will continue to collect their fees which they need to manage the sport, now if they need the level they collect is another matter. To me a view of the books/budget would indicate they do.

I expect nothing less than the current level of service provided and am prepared to pay for it. We pay nothing even close to the real cost of running a meeting
Old 10 Jul 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3276267)   #247
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
And each driver in every other series that pays the same fee's per driver as you do, why should what they have paid go towards you?

IMO each series should be in charge of and have to fund it's own promotion,
no matter if it is Tier 1, Supertourers, sanctioned series are club racing.

IMO if a race series is good enough and worth promoting
then there should be enough sponsorship and deals to be done by that class to fund it.
Agree. And that is how it has been running at Tier One for the last two years. If the class wants TV, they fund it themselves or via a sponsorship agreement.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3276272)   #248
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:

but my point to MSNZ is that despite the considerable contribution to MSNZ funds, as a series, we don't have a specific vote - not even a thank you nor any real support.

I'm pretty certain that I have thanked you a few times in writing and verbally for your and your classes input into the sport.
Besides $$$ for TV, what other support packages could we help with? Genuine question Ray, you can email/PM me if you want?
I am always saddened that no one from the H&C part of the sport applies for the MotorSport Academy. Not just us oldies compete in this form of the sport.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 11:16 (Ref:3276277)   #249
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
As for the vote thing, either have more direct input into your club, or start your own?
However; PERSONALLY, like you I think the system we have at the moment isn't the best fit. I like a form of proportional representation like clubs under 60 members get 1 vote, between 60-150 get 2 votes and above 150 get 3 votes. But that doesnt answer your competitor/member direct vote...unless you start your own club. Most Race registers are thier own club, very few of them turn up to vote at Conference though which is sad.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 02:49 (Ref:3276421)   #250
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Fair comments above re funding, other than some seem to have missed the point. Nowhere did I say that others should in anyway contribute to TV support for our series! What I stated was that we have already contributed a fair pile of money and arguably, far, far more than those smaller clubs who may not organise any events, nor have many active drivers. What I stated a was a small rebate as a gesture, so those jumping down my throat need to step back a wee bit before throwing bricks at me. If we purchase all our electrical goods from Harvey Normans, they always offer us a small discount for our loyalty.

A rebate of $3k over 27 years is probably about a 2% discount. Crunch, I appreciate and value your personal support over the years. The vote issue is more complex as forming one club regardless of how large, still only gains 1 vote - but this thread is about TV coverage.

Last edited by socram; 11 Jul 2013 at 02:57.