Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 10 Jul 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3432419)   #226
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post
Naively I thought that to have similar parity then all cars could have gone through a parity tune which I understand some guy in Wellington does for the current NZV8's - that way Ford, Holden, Toyota are currently proving that this works.
Andre Simon

I doubt everyone on St side would want to see more speed out of the TLXs remember the Tulloch TLX was quicker pre NZV8 tune.. when Bargwanna first tested the car. so it is possible to get more speed out of the TLXs... without speeding a fortune.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3432424)   #227
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
Andre Simon

remember the Tulloch TLX was quicker pre NZV8 tune.. when Bargwanna first tested the car. so it is possible to get more speed out of the TLXs... without speeding a fortune.

*******'s.

Old 10 Jul 2014, 09:37 (Ref:3432425)   #228
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
nah it's true.. his name is Andre
Old 10 Jul 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3432426)   #229
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
btw.. interesting you didn't include this part.. I doubt everyone on St side would want to see more speed out of the TLXs

notice I didn't use the word surprise
Old 10 Jul 2014, 09:58 (Ref:3432431)   #230
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
Wow a split field, how exciting is that gunna be, I can see the crowds rolling up on this one.
I am not a fan of split grids, would rather just see them all race as one and whoever qualifies where starts there.
There is no actual need for one class to start in front of another with a gap,
as if one class is quicker then the gap will happen anyway.

That is the way some other classes run and it seems to work fine.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3432432)   #231
DX20VT
Racer

Quote:

The suggested total acceptance of V8ST requirements is a long way from the dictate that was given to MSNZ at their conference recently.
I dont see anywhere it saying total acceptance of V8ST requirements,

it does say
"and under the same financial conditions that apply to current V8ST franchise holders"

which I take to mean that they pay the same series and round entry fees as the V8ST, which I don't see as being an issue.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 10:07 (Ref:3432433)   #232
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
I am not a fan of split grids, would rather just see them all race as one and whoever qualifies where starts there.
There is no actual need for one class to start in front of another with a gap,
as if one class is quicker then the gap will happen anyway.

That is the way some other classes run and it seems to work fine.

Agreed, if they do end up running in the same race they should start were they qualify.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3432437)   #233
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not just sit back and give both groups TLX/V8ST a chance to come up with their own solution.
Most of you seem to have it doomed on nothing more than a press release.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 10:42 (Ref:3432441)   #234
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A press release from all four parties, V8ST, NZV8, MSNZ & COG, would be nice.

I get the impression that individual ones are simply one group pushing their own points. That was where we were before.

Waiting hopefully for the flying pink pig to arrive.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 11:10 (Ref:3432444)   #235
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How would you settle the Hancook / Dunlop issue?
One might assume both will want to be naming right sponsors for the series and one might also assume that each has existing contracts worth a lot of money to each side.

I would not want to share naming rights with one of my opposition.

Just my hyperthetical brain doing laps.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3432445)   #236
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
A press release from all four parties, V8ST, NZV8, MSNZ & COG, would be nice.

I get the impression that individual ones are simply one group pushing their own points. That was where we were before.

Waiting hopefully for the flying pink pig to arrive.

Flying Pigs are rare enough let alone finding a pink one!

Old 10 Jul 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3432450)   #237
DX20VT
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
How would you settle the Hancook / Dunlop issue?
One might assume both will want to be naming right sponsors for the series and one might also assume that each has existing contracts worth a lot of money to each side.

I would not want to share naming rights with one of my opposition.

Just my hyperthetical brain doing laps.
From what I understand no-one has said they must run in the same championship,
just in the same race.

The BNT supertourers championship can still run on Hankook,
and the ??? NZV8 championship can still run on dunlops,
and both race + qualify together.
Each class can do it's own promotion etc and just when each class does it's points it just takes it own results out of the finishing order.

It can and does work.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3432463)   #238
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Flying Pigs are rare enough let alone finding a pink one!

THANKS Mark, but the PIGS did fly as my nick says, at least here in Aussie the RAAF flew F 1-11 fighter/bombers until 2011 and their nickname was THE PIG as they flew mostly below 1000ft altitude for 95% of their service life.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3432562)   #239
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Andre Simon

I doubt everyone on St side would want to see more speed out of the TLXs remember the Tulloch TLX was quicker pre NZV8 tune.. when Bargwanna first tested the car. so it is possible to get more speed out of the TLXs... without speeding a fortune.
The same with an ST as well
Old 10 Jul 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3432580)   #240
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post

Good point PR, I already own such a low cost upgraded Ls7, using the same stage 2 Camshaft that the Chevy TLX's currently run it makes 640 BHP for a total cost of $375, plus a days labour.

When you add the $5K plus 1 hour "bolt-on" Harrop 8 butterfly inlet manifold that I have on my engine, it make's another 40 BHP and 30 FtLb's! Add a custom set of headers, $3k, and another days work and you are well over 700 BHP.

If 'Julian' wants to swing by Racer Products NZ Speedshow stand, he can see such an engine sitting in my Hyundai V8ST that no-body want's.

ST could also just run a softer compound Hankook tyre, say the equivalent of what the Dunlop TLX compound is, and go a second faster around Pukekohe, but that would cost more because you would consume more tyre's, and it would definitely upset V8SC's which nobody at V8ST wants to do because they want to continue to race on the undercard with them at the only game in town right now.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3432620)   #241
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
same with a TL

same with a TR 86

same with a TRS

your point being?

before parity tuning.. the Tulloch TLX put out a low 1:24 at Ruapuna.. with Bargwanna behind the wheel. would a TLX in it's current tune do a 1:24? if not.. I guess it is plausible that the speed of a TLX can be improved without spending a fortune on it would Booth and his team want their cars doing similar lap times as a st? probably not. it might cause more issues with the other side. I mean.. look how butt hurt marky is at the mere mention of increasing the speed of a TLX. I think marky is the only one obsessed with his car being as quick as a V8SC. the TLX could've been quicker than it is.. but what's the point? the TLX weren't racing against V8SC. if the TLX were too quick.. it would've started another ****ing match... and marky would've wanted more money spent on the st.. that the st teams couldn't afford. anyway would you really want such a big difference in lap times between the lead TLX and the lead TL.. that are also on the track at the same time?
Old 10 Jul 2014, 22:16 (Ref:3432622)   #242
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Good point PR, I already own such a low cost upgraded Ls7, using the same stage 2 Camshaft that the Chevy TLX's currently run it makes 640 BHP for a total cost of $375, plus a days labour.

When you add the $5K plus 1 hour "bolt-on" Harrop 8 butterfly inlet manifold that I have on my engine, it make's another 40 BHP and 30 FtLb's! Add a custom set of headers, $3k, and another days work and you are well over 700 BHP.

If 'Julian' wants to swing by Racer Products NZ Speedshow stand, he can see such an engine sitting in my Hyundai V8ST that no-body want's.

ST could also just run a softer compound Hankook tyre, say the equivalent of what the Dunlop TLX compound is, and go a second faster around Pukekohe, but that would cost more because you would consume more tyre's, and it would definitely upset V8SC's which nobody at V8ST wants to do because they want to continue to race on the undercard with them at the only game in town right now.
you really need to do something about your unhealthy obsession with Julian Harding. it is rather sad. so is your insecurity when it comes to the speed of cars in other categories. there have been non-V8SC faster than a V8SC at a V8SC meeting. did V8SC get upset.. nope! remember what happen the last time you went on a rant like this? it wasn't V8SC that was upset with you
Old 10 Jul 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3432623)   #243
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
btw.. a LS7 with a Harrop Hurricane ITB Manifold

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gaz-W...63273570377768

seen it
Old 11 Jul 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3432634)   #244
pukekoheracer
Racer

Has anybody asked the owners of the 5 TLX cars if they want to join into the same race as the ST cars?
Then if they did are they ready to race in an Enduro in 2 months time. Are they even set up for Fuel Stops etc.
Old 11 Jul 2014, 00:50 (Ref:3432640)   #245
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
the Hughes TLX has been competing in one of the two North Island endurance series. it raced in the 3 hour a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11 Jul 2014, 02:07 (Ref:3432650)   #246
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
you really need to do something about your unhealthy obsession with Julian
We have already estalished that you are not Julian, and since I am Timmy that only leaves Dick...

Unless you are Anne or George, who at the very least is a cross-dresser...
Old 11 Jul 2014, 03:05 (Ref:3432660)   #247
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, maybe its time I ended my TenTenths sabbatical.....I've had fun while on 'leave' with the V8 Ute team I am involved with, and also the ST that I sponsor (low level).

I have read from the side-lines the progress and changes to the sport over the winter break. I think we all knew that this was going to be the most sensible outcome.

In fact I remember many on here (myself included) who were, at the time, all in favour of the ST's and TLX's running together. This looks to be happening thanks to the bold efforts of the COG - who I think have done a rather ballsy move here, and for that I applaud them. But I read on here that some are not happy about this.

truth is, NZ is too small to have 2 'top tier' V8 classes, so one of two things was going to happen:

1) One of the series would have died a painful death, or
2) The two would shake each others hands and promise to be nice to each other, and merge to some extent.

The writing has been on the wall since the ITM500 as far as I am concerned. I spent the entire 4 days in the Ute tents opposite the NZV8TC camp, and to be fair, there was more public interest in the utes than the new TLX's. Even the partially clad Altima garnered very little interest. The space frame was developing signs of rust by the sunday, which is no surprise as the steel had not been coated at that point, and it did look a bit thrown together at the last minute. But as is often the case, it is what it is.

The ST area, on the other hand was fair buzzing. Yes, there should have been more cars there, but if you tally up the kiwi contribution to the undercard, it was 15 x schedule ST, 5 x schedule TLX and 10 x schedule TL from memory. So in essence both camps had the same numbers on the grid. This is in stark contrast to the previous year when there was some 30 or more cars on the grid, courtesy of MSNZ taking sides.

I talked to many team owners of ST's and all were happy with the feedback they had got from SC teams (if that means anything at all). Common theme was 'why don't we have those?'

I also spoke to a very friendly chap from Concept who told me that TLX was proud of its DNF tally due to mechanical errors, which at that point was zero. And then nek minnit...2 DNF's on the Camrys with expensive engine blowouts.

And then we hear that both Camrys are for sale (not a biggie) and that their star driver, Bargs, is out of it.

The crowd responded well to the ST's, they did not respond too well to the TLX/TL field, and to say that some punters were confused would be diluting the facts somewhat.

So this had to happen. MSNZ having their pants pulled down because of their shonky business ways had to happen as well. Hopefully the 'new' way forward will prove to be beneficial for all involved, including the paying punters, who lets face it want to see stars in fast cars.

It did get me thinking though about how the TLX will sit in the field with ST's. I Spoke to Foggy some time ago about this and he was nervous about them sharing the same grid......but this appears to be happening.

I too wonder if the TLX's will do the enduros, and will they stand up to 70 laps around Puke? will they be a potential hazard with much faster cars surrounding them? How will a TLX fair in a 40G impact crash like the TMG car, or the Colin Corkery accident? time will tell I guess, but I for one am looking forward to this, hence why I am posting again.

Will we eventually see the TLX's being tuned to be somewhere in the ballpark of a ST? will we see big name drivers in the TLX's? so many questions right now

One thing I do know is that there is to be a new engine parity program in place for ST's, because I for one thought that some cars were clearly faster than others, and rumours all around pitlane suggested that some teams were in fact cheating. Whether there is substance to these rumours, I don't know, but to me, as an observer, it was quite likely.

So I am looking forward to the end of Sept and hope to see a full grid with exciting drivers and professional looking teams. I have it on good faith from the man at the top of the ST tree that SVG and SM are returning to NZ to battle out the enduros. I also believe that a number of Aussie SC teams are seriously looking at V8ST as an alternative to the DVS, so could we see a BJR or DJR, or even T8 outfit racing full time in NZ?

But seriously guys, most of you wanted this to happen 1 or 2 years ago. It is happening, so maybe its time to be positive about this

Stu
Old 11 Jul 2014, 03:37 (Ref:3432663)   #248
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome back and great first post back NZSTfan. I certainly hope what you've said happens and we get a good size grid for the enduros. Hopefully we aren't far away from finding out who will be there and who the co-drivers will be.
Old 11 Jul 2014, 04:06 (Ref:3432670)   #249
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
Welcome back and great first post back NZSTfan. I certainly hope what you've said happens and we get a good size grid for the enduros. Hopefully we aren't far away from finding out who will be there and who the co-drivers will be.
I agree, that's a great post and Welcome back. I just think things will take there natural course over the next few months. I would like to see the TLX cars share a grid with the STs but there are many number of Questions to be answered before that happens. The first is, can they even get 3/4 cars to the grid in only 2 months time, and if they do and running are 3/4 sec per lap slower than a ST how long will that last. If the Toyotas don't run you really only have Nick Ross, would he bother. Who Knows?
Old 11 Jul 2014, 04:17 (Ref:3432671)   #250
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
One thing I do know is that there is to be a new engine parity program in place for ST's, because I for one thought that some cars were clearly faster than others, and rumours all around pitlane suggested that some teams were in fact cheating. Whether there is substance to these rumours, I don't know, but to me, as an observer, it was quite likely.
why not scrap the LS7, as we all know the bigger capacity was just an out of control ego trying to match V8SC pace with a crate engine, a put the NZST back to 5litres, ??

or is that too easy ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
But seriously guys, most of you wanted this to happen 1 or 2 years ago. It is happening, so maybe its time to be positive about this
as long as the 2 chassis are competitive against each other, it could be quite a spectacle, if there is a night and day difference between them, i won't be going trackside.