Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Feb 2004, 05:17 (Ref:882432)   #226
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough - I'll accept what you say as to category - my original information gave me brief details, but detailed enough to provide a car number involved - and that particular number was only in the Commodores...
Old 23 Feb 2004, 05:17 (Ref:882433)   #227
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if it were the konica's then more fool them.The magority of team owners are charging a fair bit of $$$ to place your talented or untalented rear end in one of there 2-3 year old spec machines and thus should be well aware of the need to present the car in a ready to race condition.These people are realistically running a fairly sizable bussiness and have a duty to provide a car fit for competition.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 23 Feb 2004, 05:25 (Ref:882437)   #228
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The point is no track in the country has the facilities nor does anyone at a race meeting have the authority to test and certify extinguishers.

The test for a fuel cell went it is due involves inflating it by a few pounds and checking for leaks. Something which could be done at a race meeting by an inventive mind. But it still doesn't make it a legal fuel cell until you have the bit of paper from a proper testing authority to say so.

As it is with fire extingishers. I don't know what fool was attempting to "test" a pressure vessel in the middle of nowhere as it wouldn't have made any difference to the legality of the fire extinguisher.

It also doesn't fix the fact that those cars were illegal when presented for scrutineering and should have been dealt with in the proper manner. As other classes are (especially those without four doors and 8 cylinders).

As I have said before, I hope that an inquiry gets to the bottom of this fiasco and he appropriate measures are taken.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 05:31 (Ref:882441)   #229
RaceTime
Veteran

Re testing of fuel cells - just ask the F3 Association about this....

And from the sounds of it - CAMS will be excluded from this enquiry to the extent it appears to now be a POlice and Worksafe matter. Hmmm wonder if CAMS insurance covers this eventuality?
Old 23 Feb 2004, 05:40 (Ref:882448)   #230
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Only if you pay the 100K excess first!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 05:45 (Ref:882449)   #231
RaceTime
Veteran

No stop and think for a minute.

If the Police and worksafe are involved, then this coule lead to potential charges being laid - and, as we ll know, once the legal system gets involved in insurance claims, Section 84.6.3..34.72.2 Paragraph XIX part III specifically states we (defined as the collective insurance companies) get to shaft you so we don;t pay...

Could be interesting.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 06:42 (Ref:882465)   #232
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine that a fire bomb would be subject to the same sort of certification as a pressure vessel is and from my (limited) understanding the problems that face these are internal rust and weld strength issues ,one is checked with a ultrasonic thickness tester and the other by X Raying the welds,this must have been some show to simply pump them up with air and see if they explode/leak.Bit like testing steel cap boots with a big hammer or sun screen by laying in the sun,both have a definitive result + or - but at great cost to the person conducting the test should a negetive result be recorded.

Anyway even if there was something not quite right it is only the Police and Worksafe that are involved and it's not like they can do much about it ,is there.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 08:47 (Ref:882528)   #233
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Oops.

I'd still ike to know who's crazy idea this was.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 09:05 (Ref:882544)   #234
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With all the fireys around the place from all walks of life, perhaps one of them would have a certification to test these things?

Now having seen a few race parts supply vehicles around the circuit, I would have thought the economic and timely solution was to replace the unit....

... especially if it was from the vehicle I am thinking it is
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Feb 2004, 10:36 (Ref:882638)   #235
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy that was hurt was flown from melbourne to do the job.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 10:53 (Ref:882650)   #236
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Also a Believer
The guy that was hurt was flown from melbourne to do the job.
Yep, i heard the same thing, he was the only bloke available and willing to do it apparently - Perhaps the others just knew better ??

And yeah, i'm led to believe it was the konica cars that were involved...

The whole fiasco was a bit ordinary to be honest. The Commodore Cup guys had their Sunday race cancelled as well as the Konicas were behind schedule. Only at the insistance of the wonderful race secretary Judy Ellacott were they given a chance to have their race AFTER the V8's and were slotted in ahead of the Improved Production guys...

The safety car debacle was a joke when the rain came down. More guys spun off earlier in the dry than when it rained !! As soon as Youlden was punted at Turn 9 the safety car came out...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 23 Feb 2004, 11:09 (Ref:882662)   #237
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Due to the fact that there is a police investigation going on with regards to the fire bomb incident i am going to close this thread.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Closed Thread