Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:09 (Ref:4202857)   #2501
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport:

“Speculation has linked highly rated but perennially underfinanced ex-Team Hard Cupra racer Bobby Thompson to the drive, and Bennetts admitted that “he is definitely on the list”.
The Kiwi described the berth as “a work in progress”.
“We have discussed running two half-seasons [with one driver in for the first five rounds, another for the final five],” he added.
“It’s not ideal, but if that’s what we have to do then we’ll have to do it. There’s a very good car sitting there for someone.”

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...tack/10592043/

Well I really didn’t think Thompson would be a real candidate but I will never have been happier to be wrong if it comes to fruition!
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:12 (Ref:4202858)   #2502
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, have just read about the fourth car announcement coming soon. Good to hear that. Quite a shame if that turns out to be a shared drive but hey, at least another car on the grid.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:14 (Ref:4202859)   #2503
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thompson would be absolutely ideal , just don't know if the finances would ever stack up for him even in a shared drive. But at least Dick seems confident it will be on the grid in some form.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:23 (Ref:4202860)   #2504
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post
Thompson would be absolutely ideal , just don't know if the finances would ever stack up for him even in a shared drive. But at least Dick seems confident it will be on the grid in some form.
A Thompson & Proctor split season would be my guess, but that's just off the top of my head. The other part of my brain is saying Huff for a full season at WSR instead of going to Speedworks. Maybe Thompson to Speedworks instead?

Again, that's just my thoughts & nothing concrete
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:23 (Ref:4202861)   #2505
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Autosport:

“Speculation has linked highly rated but perennially underfinanced ex-Team Hard Cupra racer Bobby Thompson to the drive, and Bennetts admitted that “he is definitely on the list”.
“We have discussed running two half-seasons [with one driver in for the first five rounds, another for the final five],” he added.
“It’s not ideal, but if that’s what we have to do then we’ll have to do it. There’s a very good car sitting there for someone.”

Well I really didn’t think Thompson would be a real candidate but I will never have been happier to be wrong if it comes to fruition!
A 5 round deal whilst giving you and extra 3/4 months to try and raise funds to complete the season is my understanding of that.

That really does sum up where the championship is at the moment IMO.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:26 (Ref:4202862)   #2506
InYourMirrors45
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
A Thompson & Proctor split season would be my guess, but that's just off the top of my head. The other part of my brain is saying Huff for a full season at WSR instead of going to Speedworks. Maybe Thompson to Speedworks instead?

Again, that's just my thoughts & nothing concrete
If there isn’t the financial backing to run the car for someone for a full season it’s hardly gonna be viable to pay someone to drive it for a season it it?

Last edited by InYourMirrors45; 26 Mar 2024 at 13:40.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:29 (Ref:4202863)   #2507
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonman View Post
Just a bit of fanciful thinking regarding the fourth Hard car , don’t suppose Rob Austin would fancy a comeback , previous race winner and capable of dragging pace out of cars run on the proverbial shoestring . Put him in an Infinity if no supra fit to run . Would add a little devil may care the championship needs .
What Infinitis do you think are available?
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:33 (Ref:4202864)   #2508
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing the WSR BMW livery in full colour, its not a bad looking scheme. To me though it looks like they forgot to "paint" (wrap) behind the rear wheels - there's a great big blank/white space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Autosport:

I'm pleased that there seems to be a plan afoot to fill the seat and it would be great to see Thompson in that car (irrespective of whether its 5 or 10 meetings) if a deal can be pieced together. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:34 (Ref:4202865)   #2509
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
A 5 round deal whilst giving you and extra 3/4 months to try and raise funds to complete the season is my understanding of that.

That's what I would see it as too. First 5 rounds , start well - get more sponsors on board if you can because you're doing well type thing.

It is a bit troubling that the series has got to this stage though where a front running championship contender is considering splitting a seat because it's the only way they'll fill it.

Does make me wonder how much Toyota UK are throwing into Speedworks to get 4 Corollas on the grid (I know obviously Cook and Moffat are under the LKQ banner)
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:39 (Ref:4202866)   #2510
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post
That's what I would see it as too. First 5 rounds , start well - get more sponsors on board if you can because you're doing well type thing.
That's how some drivers/teams start every season! Start with enough budget for half the season and hopefully pick more up along the way.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:53 (Ref:4202868)   #2511
InYourMirrors45
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
That's how some drivers/teams start every season! Start with enough budget for half the season and hopefully pick more up along the way.
That’s exactly why understood is that, rather than how it’s been worded in the press release.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 13:58 (Ref:4202870)   #2512
TyH
Rookie

United Kingdom
TyH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO the BMW livery this year looks so much better than last year.

Love the more prominent red
Old 26 Mar 2024, 14:07 (Ref:4202871)   #2513
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What Infinitis do you think are available?
Was thinking of the two cars previously used by AMR Moffatt/Patterson Hard were involved in the preparation if I remember
Old 26 Mar 2024, 14:16 (Ref:4202872)   #2514
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Its not a Championship problem , its a World problem!
Old 26 Mar 2024, 14:26 (Ref:4202876)   #2515
Protonman
Rookie

Quote:
That’s exactly why understood is that, rather than how it’s been worded in the press release.
This is certainly more upbeat than thought earlier , even if it’s temporary it would be good to see Thompson in a competitive car . The fact that knowledgeable people like Matt Neal have seen talent is good and he certainly benefitted last year from the help received from the dynamics staff .
Old 26 Mar 2024, 14:35 (Ref:4202879)   #2516
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sadly I can see Thompson on the sidelines this year. Even people bigging him up is not going to be enough. Too few seats left

Anyway good to have Turkington and BMW back. I expect him to challenge for the title this year
Old 26 Mar 2024, 15:48 (Ref:4202892)   #2517
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Risky, with the likely contact and cost of repairing cars I would think the last thing WSR is someone light on budget. Remember Lloyd's Hyundai cost over £90k to repair last year and I imagine the BMW will be a more.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 15:58 (Ref:4202894)   #2518
InYourMirrors45
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Its not a Championship problem , its a World problem!
British GT seems to be doing alright.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 16:23 (Ref:4202897)   #2519
Protonman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Sadly I can see Thompson on the sidelines this year. Even people bigging him up is not going to be enough. Too few seats left

Anyway good to have Turkington and BMW back. I expect him to challenge for the title this year
Given the work carried out thus far WSR must have spent well on the car so it makes sense not to just have it left over , unless they run one in last years spec . Dick B still talking lists which may include those we know are fishing for money . Anyone know current situation with Tom Oliiphant . He has raced for both WSR and Hard so possible for both depending on budget and whereabouts .
Old 26 Mar 2024, 16:25 (Ref:4202899)   #2520
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Given the work carried out thus far WSR must have spent well on the car so it makes sense not to just have it left over , unless they run one in last years spec . Dick B still talking lists which may include those we know are fishing for money . Anyone know current situation with Tom Oliiphant . He has raced for both WSR and Hard so possible for both depending on budget and whereabouts .
He races in TCR Australia
Old 26 Mar 2024, 16:26 (Ref:4202900)   #2521
InYourMirrors45
Racer

Quote:
Would have to fly over from Australia for every round.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 16:58 (Ref:4202901)   #2522
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
British GT seems to be doing alright.
Aye, but there's a lot of drivers paying for their seats (or indeed cars!) there - as has always been the way in GT racing. They get far more seat time on race weekends than the BTCC drivers do, they get coaching from a partner driver who's also racing the same car, and they attract a lot of high-value sponsors from across UK industries, many of whom are pretty low profile in the public perception.

There's a fairly decent argument to be made about the differences in driving standards on the whole, too
Old 26 Mar 2024, 19:30 (Ref:4202914)   #2523
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I was going to say. 5 rounds paid for before the season starts would be above average for the grid!
Old 26 Mar 2024, 20:37 (Ref:4202922)   #2524
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
How does a years drive in a top BTCC car compare to say a GT3 drive in British GT in terms of costs?
Old 27 Mar 2024, 08:50 (Ref:4202950)   #2525
TinTopGrumpy
Rookie

TinTopGrumpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or where the economy is and BTCC is just the first to show the signs?