Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jul 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3284367)   #2551
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
the ALMS's face book page is deleting some of the negative comments about the news lol.
Nothing new. They have been known to do this in the past.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3284369)   #2552
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta4 View Post
It has been pretty common practice for Big Brother to be hovering since the NASCAR takeover. Just one of the "charms".
Old 31 Jul 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3284399)   #2553
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
the ALMS's face book page is deleting some of the negative comments about the news lol.
I don't understand why that is necessarily a bad or suspicious thing, though. Forget the "Big Brother" nonsense... it's bad for their image to have negative comments about their new series strewn all over the internet when the season is still like 8 months away from starting, and they need all the help they can right now. Tearing them down and complaining will just make them mad and they won't listen to anything. Of course, I don't think they listened to anything in the first place except for the name of the series... and something tells me they did that for this exact reason. They knew beforehand a lot of fans would be ****ed at running NASCAR tracks like Kansas and Indy, and they thought that having a fan name the series would be good enough to last over the rough patches in the development stage. But that's my cynical side... despite that, I don't think they need any more negativity.

Give the poor sods a chance, folks.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3284404)   #2554
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I don't understand why that is necessarily a bad or suspicious thing, though. Forget the "Big Brother" nonsense... it's bad for their image to have negative comments about their new series strewn all over the internet when the season is still like 8 months away from starting, and they need all the help they can right now. Tearing them down and complaining will just make them mad and they won't listen to anything. Of course, I don't think they listened to anything in the first place except for the name of the series... and something tells me they did that for this exact reason. They knew beforehand a lot of fans would be ****ed at running NASCAR tracks like Kansas and Indy, and they thought that having a fan name the series would be good enough to last over the rough patches in the development stage. But that's my cynical side... despite that, I don't think they need any more negativity.

Give the poor sods a chance, folks.
If that's the case, why did they pick such an awful name? Fans aren't going to give these people a free pass. They ran ALMS into the ground and Grand-Am has been a miserable failure at attracting any sort of audience throughout its existence. So they put these two groups together and expect good things to happen?
Old 31 Jul 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3284432)   #2555
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Some of the posts in this thread are even worse than this spec tire news.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 23:51 (Ref:3284440)   #2556
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What amazes me is that USCR has only one chance to get it right, but apparently has an infinity of chances to get it wrong, and has used about every one.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3284445)   #2557
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Some of the posts in this thread are even worse than this spec tire news.
Sports Car crowd can be a cantankerous fussy bunch. All the change, tracks losing dates, bad economy, ****ed on pop tarts, lost dogs, all contributing factors.

"Time passes, things change".
Old 1 Aug 2013, 01:30 (Ref:3284454)   #2558
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
What amazes me is that USCR has only one chance to get it right, but apparently has an infinity of chances to get it wrong, and has used about every one.
They seem to be taking the ACO approach to things.

I actually would like to hear where you think they got it wrong?
Old 1 Aug 2013, 01:44 (Ref:3284457)   #2559
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
It has been pretty common practice for Big Brother to be hovering since the NASCAR takeover. Just one of the "charms".
Shhhhh... They're listening

Old 1 Aug 2013, 03:01 (Ref:3284469)   #2560
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...e-partnership/

So Continental is exploring whether any GTLM teams want Continental Tires too, and whether any USCR teams going to Le Mans want to use the Continentals there. Perhaps a few teams might accept that offer, because Corvette Racing and Viper really struggled on the WEC Michelins due to lack of testing/running.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 03:22 (Ref:3284473)   #2561
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I forwarded Hindy's comments to Elkins... will post his response.
Scot Elkins ‏@scotelkins 3h
Spec is exactly the same-bop only diff & it's small! @Fogelhund To what degree will GTLM be changed from ACO spec?”

So it you take Elkins at his word, than it would appear as though Hindy was incorrect with his assumptions and conjecture.

As far as Big Brother is concerned... let me know when some of you get contacted by the mother ship to change the wording in your posts.... fact.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 03:45 (Ref:3284476)   #2562
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Sports Car crowd can be a cantankerous fussy bunch. All the change, tracks losing dates, bad economy, ****ed on pop tarts, lost dogs, all contributing factors.

"Time passes, things change".
Oh, I don't think it is only the Sports Car crowd. The Nascar crowd wasn't happy with the CoT, and that has been changed. some of the traditional tracks have gone away in favor of the cookie cutter ovals. I didn't watch the Brickyard 400 (not a cookie cutter oval), and apparently a lot of other people didn't watch it, or attend it either--- To think, it was not that long ago people were saying it was going to be bigger, and stay bigger then the Indy 500. The rest of Nascar seems to be suffering too.

The Indy car events over the past almost two decades have taken the premier form of racing in the US to a product very reduced in fan interest, and potentially never returning to the status it had in the decades before.

Your name mentions the Can Am, what a great period that drew fans, star drivers, big teams, and then imploded. It was reborn as a trim, efficient repackaging of cars built to another formula, developed into its own identity, but never drew the interest of the original and faded away.

Time passes, things change. We will see what the future is, and then the future after that.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 04:08 (Ref:3284483)   #2563
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ughhhh it feels like its one step on the right direction and the they release new tid bits like conti tires and they got two steps back.ughh!

As far as big brother, I've been wondering if NASCAR will hand out fines for bad mouthing the series, like Cosmo at lime rock I thought that would be a NASCAR fine if he was in NASCAR.that would be ridiculous but with NASCAR anything is possible.

I thought grand am on the Indy roval was the most boring racing at Indy, until I saw NASCAR run the brick yard.boring. NASCAR had a rough last season and fans have complained also, I think it's funny though.they made the cars so well that good drivers could actually drive them away leading to even more boring racing fans complaining and then changing the cars again so they were not as good and drivers had to wheel them more.lame.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 04:09 (Ref:3284484)   #2564
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...e-partnership/

So Continental is exploring whether any GTLM teams want Continental Tires too, and whether any USCR teams going to Le Mans want to use the Continentals there. Perhaps a few teams might accept that offer, because Corvette Racing and Viper really struggled on the WEC Michelins due to lack of testing/running.
This here basically means Continental actually wants to have a proper go at the series.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 04:13 (Ref:3284485)   #2565
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Michelin is pleased that the GT-Le Mans class in the United Sports Car Racing Series will provide open tire competition when the series launches in 2014.

At the same time, we’re disappointed that we won’t be permitted to compete for overall race wins or continue our technical partnerships with our Prototype teams as we race in the USCR in 2014.

Michelin’s tire innovations are born on the track. The data and insights gained in competition feed directly into our development of Ultra High Performance tires for consumers. Two great examples of this are the MICHELIN® Pilot® Super Sport and new Pilot® Sport A/S 3 TM tires.

We look forward to racing and continuing to work with the USCR and its other stakeholders to explore more mutually beneficial agreements for the years to come.

Chris Baker, Director, Motorsports, Michelin North America
http://www.michelinalley.com/?p=15005

So I guess Michelin and Continental will be bickering in the backrooms about supplying tires for Prototypes from 2016 onward.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 04:57 (Ref:3284489)   #2566
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Scot Elkins ‏@scotelkins 3h
Spec is exactly the same-bop only diff & it's small! @Fogelhund To what degree will GTLM be changed from ACO spec?”

So it you take Elkins at his word, than it would appear as though Hindy was incorrect with his assumptions and conjecture.

As far as Big Brother is concerned... let me know when some of you get contacted by the mother ship to change the wording in your posts.... fact.
Conjecture? He was actually right. The bop will be different. Which in turn brings the cars further from the WEC.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 05:41 (Ref:3284498)   #2567
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Conjecture? He was actually right. The bop will be different. Which in turn brings the cars further from the WEC.
Yes, conjecture! No he was not. There will be a BoP, as there has been for years. He did not say that it would be any different than the 'small' amount it already is.

L.P.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 05:43 (Ref:3284500)   #2568
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://www.michelinalley.com/?p=15005

So I guess Michelin and Continental will be bickering in the backrooms about supplying tires for Prototypes from 2016 onward.

L.P.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3284503)   #2569
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Which is not good for Le Mans or sportscar racing in general. But I'm sure they'll sort it out in time.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 05:58 (Ref:3284507)   #2570
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Which is not good for Le Mans or sportscar racing in general. But I'm sure they'll sort it out in time.
Haven't ACO and IMSA BoP sheets for GT2/GTE/GTLM been a tiny bit different for the last few years actually? Minor differences, like 0.something mm on the restrictor or 10-15 kg on weight here and there?
Old 1 Aug 2013, 06:04 (Ref:3284508)   #2571
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Haven't ACO and IMSA BoP sheets for GT2/GTE/GTLM been a tiny bit different for the last few years actually? Minor differences, like 0.something mm on the restrictor or 10-15 kg on weight here and there?

Yes.

L.P.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 06:05 (Ref:3284509)   #2572
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
I never have paid much attention to technical regulations, and I expect you know more than I do about them, but yes, I believe you are correct.

But they had plenty of time to sort the BoP out and at least make it equal on both grounds, and it seems as though they threw that opportunity in the trash. Pity.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 06:30 (Ref:3284514)   #2573
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yes, conjecture! No he was not. There will be a BoP, as there has been for years. He did not say that it would be any different than the 'small' amount it already is.

L.P.
No, not conjecture. Yes, he was correct. The BOP will be different from the WEC. If you pay attention the ALMS used the same bop as the WEC in GTE this year. Sorry, there was no secret agenda in his tweets.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 07:21 (Ref:3284524)   #2574
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
ALMS also allowed Porsche to run the high wing last year from Long Beach, whereas the ACO dragged their feet until after LM.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3284535)   #2575
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Nope, IMSA BOP has always been slightly different than WEC BOP, or that of any other ACO category. One look trough the current ALMS and WEC/LM24 technical regs and bulletins will show that.

However, there's no major differences. Some cars have a larger or smaller air restrictor diameter than ACO/FIA regs, some have more or less ballast, but the rules are fundimentally the same and it take no major changes to adjust the cars. Also at Sebring this year, the Aston V8 Vantages ran a different refueling rig restictor than ACO/FIA specs. Only cars running to full ACO specs to the letter were the Audi R18 e-tron quattros, the Rebellion LMP1 Lolas, the MMGPR HPD LMP1, the Level 5 and ESM LMP2 HPDs, and that's about it.

All the GTE/GT/GTLM cars had different BOP between IMSA spec and ACO spec, but nothing that couldn't be easily adjusted. Of course, that's one of several reasons why the WEC didn't do Sebring this year as a shared event with the ALMS. Differing BOP (even if only minor differences), WEC and IMSA race control differing on sporting and technical regs in race control, and the complicated "race within a race" deal from '12 were all factors in that.

But yes, IMSA and WEC BOP differ. But no, the differences aren't that significant. Only big difference is that there's no full time Aston Martin entries in ALMS, no Porsche 911 991s currently in ALMS, and no Corvettes in GTE-Pro in the WEC or Vipers BMWs in WEC. Those are the big differences. The actual BOP differences are incremental and don't significantly differ from each other.

The devil's in the details, but only in the details.
Closed Thread