Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Jul 2023, 14:09 (Ref:4169066)   #2601
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
New teams have the chance, no one has come forward to take some places on the grid...
Because there is absolutely no incentive. No prize money, constant financial battles with getting drivers to pay up. What's the point when they can go join other series and not have the hassle.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 14:12 (Ref:4169067)   #2602
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcas87 View Post
If team Hard are struggling financially then why have they gone with running 6 cars this year?

Only a couple of the cupras seem competitive the rest either make the numbers up or breakdown

Maybe selling some of the cupras and downsizing is the answer
|Simply put, the less cars you run, the more expensive is in terms of £ in vs £ out. A one car operation needs 6-8 people. add another car and you only need 1-2 more people per car. A chief engineer and a No1 machanic. All tools,spares and transport are shared.

''Downsizing'' just cuts off the minor fat around the edges and loses 2 large income sources without changing the big picture, going racing is more expensive now than it was 3-5 years ago.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 14:30 (Ref:4169070)   #2603
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
|going racing is more expensive now than it was 3-5 years ago.
that useless hybrid surelly didn't help matters
Old 19 Jul 2023, 14:48 (Ref:4169074)   #2604
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
|Simply put, the less cars you run, the more expensive is in terms of £ in vs £ out. A one car operation needs 6-8 people. add another car and you only need 1-2 more people per car. A chief engineer and a No1 machanic. All tools,spares and transport are shared.

''Downsizing'' just cuts off the minor fat around the edges and loses 2 large income sources without changing the big picture, going racing is more expensive now than it was 3-5 years ago.

I'm sorry, but that is far too simplistic; firstly chief engineers and a No.1 are not cheap. But apart from that, you need more transporters which requires extra truckies, plus there will be further expenditure on accommodation plus catering, etc. I'm pretty certain that the list goes on and on when you keep adding extra cars.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 15:05 (Ref:4169080)   #2605
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm sorry, but that is far too simplistic; firstly chief engineers and a No.1 are not cheap. But apart from that, you need more transporters which requires extra truckies, plus there will be further expenditure on accommodation plus catering, etc. I'm pretty certain that the list goes on and on when you keep adding extra cars.
No-one is claiming there aren't extra expenses. But you'd be nuts to think that running a 6-car team costs 6x the amount to run a single-car entry.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 15:15 (Ref:4169084)   #2606
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
No-one is claiming there aren't extra expenses. But you'd be nuts to think that running a 6-car team costs 6x the amount to run a single-car entry.

I'm sorry, but where did I say that; all I said that it's far too simplistic to say that you only need to pay for two extra people per car.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 16:06 (Ref:4169089)   #2607
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Like it was said above, 6 cars 6 different sets of engineers etc
Of course it’s gonna cost more to run then a 2 car operation
Old 19 Jul 2023, 16:34 (Ref:4169093)   #2608
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
It certainly costs less per car the more cars you run.

You don’t need more data engineers, you don’t need more team managers, you don’t need more big £ equipment really than running three cars. You don’t that much more of a spares inventory.

Adding pairs works best with two per truck, although plenty of cars come on trailers anyway - be it BTCC or F1.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 17:00 (Ref:4169097)   #2609
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
The last new team was Xceler8 I think - they have done alright so I can be done. Running 6 cars when it was clear 2 or 4 was a struggle seemed a bit mad
I never said it couldn't be done But where are all these new teams wanting in?
Old 19 Jul 2023, 17:00 (Ref:4169098)   #2610
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Because there is absolutely no incentive. No prize money, constant financial battles with getting drivers to pay up. What's the point when they can go join other series and not have the hassle.
Exactly.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 17:04 (Ref:4169099)   #2611
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Where is this utopia world that pays prize money and drivers pay in full on time?……
Old 19 Jul 2023, 17:51 (Ref:4169104)   #2612
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
that useless hybrid surelly didn't help matters
The cost of competing has increased across the board, in series with and without hybrid equally. Hybrid is not a factor in deciding whether to enter 2,4 or 6 cars in BTCC.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 17:54 (Ref:4169105)   #2613
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The incentive of BTCC is a good tv coverage, but nowadays it's not enough.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 19:49 (Ref:4169112)   #2614
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Where is this utopia world that pays prize money and drivers pay in full on time?……
Don't like the truth it seems.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 20:49 (Ref:4169118)   #2615
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No prize money
completely wrong

btcc has one of the best prize pools in the uk

a few years ago the teams asked toca that the prize pool is evenly distributed amongst all the teams so that they all receive the same amount instead of it going to just the winners so a total value of around £250k is paid out to all teams in free tyres during the season

and also the price of tyres are subsidised by toca and much lower price than tcr tyres etc

Last edited by touring fan01; 19 Jul 2023 at 20:54.
Old 20 Jul 2023, 08:22 (Ref:4169148)   #2616
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Don't like the truth it seems.
Love the truth just not aware of where this series is. Well worth a look - do tell
Old 20 Jul 2023, 10:31 (Ref:4169158)   #2617
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
completely wrong

btcc has one of the best prize pools in the uk

a few years ago the teams asked toca that the prize pool is evenly distributed amongst all the teams so that they all receive the same amount instead of it going to just the winners so a total value of around £250k is paid out to all teams in free tyres during the season

and also the price of tyres are subsidised by toca and much lower price than tcr tyres etc
This is it! Okay TCR run on endurance tyres that last longer, but their bills have gone up with increased allocation. I asked some of the Goodyear guys at the test at Donington about BTCC prices - they said off the shelf to a private buyer it's over £300 per tyre. That would work out at over £1200 per race, or over £3600 per race day alone (£36,000 per car per year) if it was not subsidised. I think most drivers at the start of the year would take that!

As for the cost of 2,4 or 6 car teams, is the quote of £20,000 per year for hybrid still relevant from what was bandied about when it was launched?
If that's the case does it mean HARD would need to shell out £120,000 more this year than if they ran 6 cars in 2021? Is the struggles with money the reason why Cosworth were only fitting the Hybrid to their cars on Media Day and of the five that were there only two ran at the end of the day when it was chucking down and nobody else was out?
Old 20 Jul 2023, 10:59 (Ref:4169162)   #2618
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
As for the cost of 2,4 or 6 car teams, is the quote of £20,000 per year for hybrid still relevant from what was bandied about when it was launched?
If that's the case does it mean HARD would need to shell out £120,000 more this year than if they ran 6 cars in 2021?
£20,500 per car per year is what is currently reported. But to look at it as £120,000 more does not take into account how much each driver is bringing to the team.

A 6-car entry works out cheaper (per car) than a 2-car entry overall in terms of running costs.
Old 20 Jul 2023, 11:40 (Ref:4169168)   #2619
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Is the struggles with money the reason why Cosworth were only fitting the Hybrid to their cars on Media Day and of the five that were there only two ran at the end of the day when it was chucking down and nobody else was out?
It was the same in 2022. There is a lead time between when the hybrid kit is order and when it is delivered, and Cosworth expect you to pay when the order is placed. Hard make the driver pay for the hybrid kit, to be fair they are probably not alone in that respect, and I assume they won't place the order until they have that money.
Old 20 Jul 2023, 12:55 (Ref:4169181)   #2620
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I guess TOCA "had to" go Hybrid in order to appease what manufacturer involvement there was left from the grid entrants, although thats only really Toyota and BMW now - but even those teams I doubt are full "works" teams. In that respect, I do wonder what the point of the hybrid element is, can anyone quote a sponsor or a team where they have said they wouldn't be here if it weren't for the hybrid? I don't see a queue of manufacturers at the BTCC door scrabbling to place an entry because the sport has now "gone hybrid".
Old 20 Jul 2023, 13:28 (Ref:4169186)   #2621
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
can anyone quote a sponsor or a team where they have said they wouldn't be here if it weren't for the hybrid? I don't see a queue of manufacturers at the BTCC door scrabbling to place an entry because the sport has now "gone hybrid".
I think you would be hard pressed to find any team openly say they would not be there if hybrid was dropped, but many have said that it is a plus point when talking to prospective sponsors.

“The BTCC is renowned worldwide for being ahead of the game, Hybrid technology is the future on the automotive landscape and we at BTC Racing will embrace the future and fully supporting Alan Gow and the Championship”, said team director Richard Tait-Harris.
Old 20 Jul 2023, 14:47 (Ref:4169190)   #2622
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
crm, don't you think that comments like that are, in all truth, just PR speak?

In reality, to be truly ahead of the curve, and I don't advocate this for one second, TOCA would have gone all electric, like Sweden. The fact is that the UK will be, certainly in theory I would say at this time, banning the sale of cars with ICE technology from 2030 - that's juts six and a half years from now. Personally, I don't see that actually happening quite that soon, but to be ahead of the game, as Tait-Harris says, all electric would be the way to go.

I doubt I will be around then to just hear squealing tyres at a circuit, but you never know.
Old 20 Jul 2023, 14:57 (Ref:4169192)   #2623
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I think an all electric motorsport world would seriously affect my enjoyment of “motorsport”
Old 21 Jul 2023, 09:38 (Ref:4169274)   #2624
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think an all electric motorsport world would seriously affect my enjoyment of “motorsport”
Exactly, there's enough E-series out there for people to watch. Don't feel the need for every series to go electric. There's plenty of good alternatives to electric anyway.
Old 21 Jul 2023, 09:42 (Ref:4169276)   #2625
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But longer-term it (or some other as yet undiscovered option) is the only option. Fossil fuel powered cars are rapidly being eliminated in the UK. Of course it will probably take several more decades until they are totally gone, but in terms of what manufacturers want to promote and what is relevant to public, EV is the way the series will have to go.