Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2952788)   #2626
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
They can be made to work. Mercedes-Benz has a honking 6.2-litre V8 in the SLS AMG, and it does alright on mileage in GT3. Funny thing there is, the Audi R8 actually has been stated point blank as having the worst mileage in that class.

In GT2, the Corvette was competitive using the 6.2-litre lump in 2009.

The Panoz roadster had a push-rod V8, and while not quite up to the mileage of the R8's twin turbo unit, it certainly wasn't "out to lunch". And Chrysler had some pretty darn good motive power from that Mopar-modified V8 in their LMP900.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2952789)   #2627
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
i dont think it would work, even if they suceed in equalising different petrol engine sizes, the huge american V8 would still use fuel like it still cost 10c a gallon
Are we forgetting the LS7.R?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:44 (Ref:2952795)   #2628
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Are we forgetting the LS7.R?
I thought they were discussing about prototypes, not GTs
Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2952801)   #2629
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I thought they were discussing about prototypes, not GTs
Yeah, but didn't that engine have similar performance and fuel efficiency figures in GT1 trim to the Aston Martin V12 which was actually used in LMP1?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2952802)   #2630
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IIRC audi has a 25% larger fuel tank.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2952839)   #2631
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bigger engines doesn't always mean worse fuel mileage.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2952845)   #2632
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
i dont think it would work, even if they suceed in equalising different petrol engine sizes, the huge american V8 would still use fuel like it still cost 10c a gallon
Ask the people at the fence if they care.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2952861)   #2633
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Bigger engines doesn't always mean worse fuel mileage.
^ This. My LS2, which is what is in the back of the LMPCs, gets 25 mpg highway consistantly and I have gotten 27 mph over 200 miles. Try that with your BMW strait 6 (and other great engines, just picked that one). Also, many people equate engine displacement/weight with physical volume. They have nothing to do with each other as OHV engines are actually very compact and are competitive in weight with other designs (although the COG is pretty high).

Wow - how's that for OT. Sorry, I like pushrods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Ask the people at the fence if they care.
^ And this. I like loud, fast, flame spitting, popping and snapping racecars. For me, I like the cars first, racing second, and drivers/teams third. I am a car nerd first and while I know that there are other that would put the items above in another order, there are also many people like me.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2952875)   #2634
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
actually bigger engines means worse fuel milage, almost by deffiniton.

in a same car, same engine technologi a 2.5l engine would always have better fuel milaeg as a 5+l engine.

P.S. corvet has a much better drag coficient, and less frontal area then BMW witch reduces fuel milage alot

example bmw 528 6cyl, 2.8l auto. 32MPG highway
BMW 550 V8, 4.4l manual 22MPG highway

its quite easily explaind if you understand that for a economic run you dont need more then 100-150hp, and smaller engines are much more efficient at producing those numbers,

smaller displacement engine has less mass to move around(smaller cylinders), and a less frictional area(also smaller cylinders) so also it consumes less fuel for the same hp.

also low reving large cylindar engines (old school mucle cars) are nutorius for consuming huge amounts of fuel

Last edited by arakis; 8 Sep 2011 at 19:15.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2952882)   #2635
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
^ Then let a bunch of V8 powered protos make a few more pit stops because of "crappy" fuel mileage and at the same time, they can make a great amount of fantastic noise, lay down loads of black marks on the pavement and smoke the tires under acceleration while putting on one helluva show.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2952883)   #2636
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

in a same car, same engine technologi a 2.5l engine would always have better fuel milaeg as a 5+l engine.

P.S. corvet has a much better drag coficient, and less frontal area then BMW witch reduces fuel milage alot

its quite easily explaind if you understand that for teh economic run you dint neem more then 100-150hp, and smaller engines are much more efficient at producing those numbers,

smaller engine has less mass to move around, and a less frictional area so also it consumes less fuel for the same hp.
When making an comparison yourself, please notice you are comparing a Automatic vs. a manual, eventhough it's not everything, it is still some.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2952886)   #2637
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
When making an comparison yourself, please notice you are comparing a Automatic vs. a manual, eventhough it's not everything, it is still some.
mhm, but IIRC a auto matic consumes more then a manal, and in the comparison I pupesly added the manual for the larger engine and auto for the smaller
Old 8 Sep 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2952893)   #2638
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In pretty standard, low-load driving a smaller motor will generally offer better fuel mileage, but when you start running a motor at peak power or put it under a load (heavier car, more drag, more rolling resistance, etc) it is not always the case.

A smaller motor needs to turn a lot more RPM to make comparable power to a larger displacement engine. Even if it is a smaller fuel squirt, every rotation uses fuel.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2952903)   #2639
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
^ Then let a bunch of V8 powered protos make a few more pit stops because of "crappy" fuel mileage and at the same time, they can make a great amount of fantastic noise, lay down loads of black marks on the pavement and smoke the tires under acceleration while putting on one helluva show.
I like high reving 8000+ RPM engine sound more, and for me first place is car/engine technology, then car design, and then teams/drivers.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2952907)   #2640
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

its quite easily explaind if you understand that for a economic run you dont need more then 100-150hp, and smaller engines are much more efficient at producing those numbers,

smaller displacement engine has less mass to move around(smaller cylinders), and a less frictional area(also smaller cylinders) so also it consumes less fuel for the same hp.

also low reving large cylindar engines (old school mucle cars) are nutorius for consuming huge amounts of fuel
That's not true as it depends on the situation. Let's say you have two equivalent boats - one with a 3L and the other with a 5L. Run one WOT across a lake or pull a skier all day and let me know which gets better mileage. Cruise at 25 mph all day and the story is different. The same is true with race engines... You have to spin a smaller engine at a higher rpm to produce the same power, therefore using more fuel. Different designs have different positive and negatives.

I don't drive a Vette, but have a car with a similar drag coeffiecient and weight to an E46 M3.

M3 - 3.2L, 333 hp/262lb/ft, 15 City/22 Hwy
LS2 - 6.0L, 400 hp/400lb/ft, 15 City/23 Hwy

Weird, eh? Now compare that to the 550i 4.4L, 360 hp/360 lb/ft, 15 City/22 Hwy, although admittedly a much larger car. There are gearing, tuning, drag, rolling resistance, etc. issues to point at, not just displacement.

Musclecars got crappy mileage as they were built 50 years ago, are carboreted, and ran on leaded fuel. The big block Chevelle that I grew up in the back seat of was way cooler than a 550i though.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2952915)   #2641
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
I'll admit when I am beat, i read up on it, and it seems at WOT larger engiens are as effiecent, I think restrictor sive would mean alot to withc engine is more efficient, 4.5l 458 engine restricted to 450ho revs at only 6500 rpm, (unrestricted it run 9000 rpm)

so I guess a lot would depend where the restricted power figure is and what is the optimal engine size eficiently for that power figure. I am preaty sure if highest end technology was used that only one configuration / size would prove to be the mose efficient for a giver hp restriction
Old 9 Sep 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2953042)   #2642
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've read too some time ago on ultimatecarpage.com that the 458GTC engine reaches max power (465hp) on 6250RPM! but sincerly i have seriously doubts about this, a so decreased rev limit should have a lot of torque to (should be around 600Nm to make the engine competitive, but is written 520Nm there) but we can say a thing like this if we are talking about of a v8 american engine small black like the corvette 5.5L one (more than 700Nm at 4500, and max rev between 5500-6000RPM).... but the 458 italia engine (and all the ferrari's engine philosophy) is the exact opposite....
Old 9 Sep 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2953085)   #2643
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
there is something odd about ferraris power spec, at 6250 rpm for an engine to produce 465hp it has to give ~530 NM of torque, witch would make it its maximum torque at maximum power witch I haven't seen in my life.(my life is short so this shouldnt be considered odd)
Old 9 Sep 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2953159)   #2644
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If Baltimore was any indication, it would seem that the F458 is down on torque compared to the other GT2 cars.

Historically, Ferraris have tended more toward favoring top-end power rather than bottom-end grunt. There certainly have been exceptions to this though, like the 860 Monza, 4-cylinder cars.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2953184)   #2645
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the WEC possibly stealing Sebring out from Don Panoz, is there a FIA maximum car amount for Sebring as there is for Petit Le Mans?
Old 9 Sep 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2953186)   #2646
Guardian
Racer

United States
Maryland
Guardian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
If Baltimore was any indication, it would seem that the F458 is down on torque compared to the other GT2 cars.
Not sure about that. The 458 seemed to have plenty of torque to me while I was at the race. It's problem was getting the power down. As I noted in the race thread, the 458 was breaking the back end loose coming out of just about every hard corner of the track, especially the hairpin. None of the other cars seemed to have the same traction problems.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2953192)   #2647
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
quote from dailysportscar article

Frederic Henry-Bibaud, General Manager of the ILMC on Sebring
Quote:
at Sebring this year we had a mixed (ILMC and ALMS) grid.
We expect that to continue next season but need to discuss with the ALMS how to achieve what is required for 2013 which is, of course, a dedicated WEC grid, with a bigger entry.
so there you go - unless they run 2 of them, 2012 will be the last time ALMS has the Sebring 12hr
Old 9 Sep 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2953204)   #2648
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
quote from dailysportscar article

Frederic Henry-Bibaud, General Manager of the ILMC on Sebring

so there you go - unless they run 2 of them, 2012 will be the last time ALMS has the Sebring 12hr
Hopefully they tell Henry-Bibaud he can go ...... himself.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2953206)   #2649
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if that specs are true about 458 GTC engine, how much power could reach that engine at 9000RPM? .-. something around 750hp i guess...
Old 9 Sep 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2953207)   #2650
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It did seem like the guys were ask talking about how BMW was launching the best due to their traction system, and we ask know how the 911s launch with the rear engine. Ferrari probably has the newest system and so least setup, and you could hear it some during the race. Will be interesting to listen to the Risi vs ESM cars at Laguna and PLM to see if the paddleshift gets a new TC update or if they both do, or is there no difference in the actual systems just the selector mechanism?