Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 May 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3069242)   #2676
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
speaking the truth i follow le mans race since 2009 and yes, under some point of view i can agree with you, even if i think that is more a set-up choice than strategy. For strategy of race i mean other, and repeat actually in endurance scenario there isn't anymore a race strategy because the only one now is: push push push.
No. The Peugeot Audi battle has always been a battle on strategy. From 2008-2010, Peugeot went for pure speed (push-push-push, as you call it) where Audi has from 2005-2010 been going after less time in the pit (ei better fuel consumption and fewer race incidents). In 2011 the strategies clearly switched, as Peugeot choose to race after fewer pit stops and Audi for all out speed. Peugeot was able to run Audis speeds but at the cost of a lap per stint.
So strategy is very much still in place at Le Mans, eventhough there is normaly a team who go full out!
Old 4 May 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3069247)   #2677
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, i think that we have a different point of view for the word "race strategy". I partially agree with you, but the overall race strategy in my opinion is not just the pre-race decision to start with a more aggressive approach or a more conservative one.
Old 4 May 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3069255)   #2678
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
If they retire at Le Mans, then they have effectively lost the WEC already. Le Mans is double points and you have to get to the finish to score points.
Haven't they basically lost the WEC already anyways due to skipping Spa?
Old 4 May 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3069258)   #2679
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Haven't they basically lost the WEC already anyways due to skipping Spa?
no because of the 6 best result rule, they now have to run in all remaining WEC races... but this doesn't change a thing in my opinion, because an audi car for sure will win all races obtaining 175 points (+6 or +8 possible points for pole position) while toyota in my opinion will reach around 100 points or something more if they will score a podium at le mans, or less than 80 points if audi will decide to use 3 cars in all races, giving less chance to toyota to finish in podium.
Old 4 May 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3069481)   #2680
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Davidson showed up at Spa for the photo shoot, but he is not participating in today's test session at Magny-Cours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @antdavidson
A morning session on the @MercedesAMGF1 simulator today before heading to London for the @SkySportsF1 #f1show tonight!
Lapierre did join the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @nico_lapierre
Nice test @MagnyCoursTrack ...heading back home. I will watch Spa from the sofa : ( come on @loicduval last time I will support you !
Old 4 May 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3069503)   #2681
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just going back the comments earlier regarding customer teams running hybrid tech.

Does anyone else find it encouraging that Kinoshlta said "it may take three or four years before we can provide the system to our customers."

That, to me at least, implies long-term involvement on their end.
Old 4 May 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3069504)   #2682
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Just going back the comments earlier regarding customer teams running hybrid tech.

Does anyone else find it encouraging that Kinoshlta said "it may take three or four years before we can provide the system to our customers."

That, to me at least, implies long-term involvement on their end.
Most likely.
But it could also be interpreted has how advanced the technology is.
Like that the Hybrid technology is at such an advanced point, it would not work as a sellable package without hours of counseling to make it work!
Old 5 May 2012, 00:20 (Ref:3069539)   #2683
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
no because of the 6 best result rule, they now have to run in all remaining WEC races... but this doesn't change a thing in my opinion, because an audi car for sure will win all races obtaining 175 points (+6 or +8 possible points for pole position) while toyota in my opinion will reach around 100 points or something more if they will score a podium at le mans, or less than 80 points if audi will decide to use 3 cars in all races, giving less chance to toyota to finish in podium.
Audi will win 'for sure' every round Toyota participates in? Think you're jumping the gun. Not every race is 24 hours. If they can be reliable for even half the distance of LeMans and "run ahead of Audi" as Vasselon says, they should be in good shape to win. Remember, Audi 'only' won LeMans for more than year against Peugeot. I say only but that's the most important win, of course. My point is you act as if they're unbeatable, when proven otherwise. I don't think Toyota will be like Peugeot and win every race bar LeMans, but I don't think Audi will win every race including it.

Another topic- Ishiura won quite the race in SGT yesterday. He was the fastest man on track late in the race in mixed conditions. And before that, Nakajima won the opening round of Formula Nippon. Seems like their Japanese drivers are out to a good start even before they step into the TS030.
Old 5 May 2012, 01:53 (Ref:3069544)   #2684
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Audi will win 'for sure' every round Toyota participates in? Think you're jumping the gun. Not every race is 24 hours. If they can be reliable for even half the distance of LeMans and "run ahead of Audi" as Vasselon says, they should be in good shape to win. Remember, Audi 'only' won LeMans for more than year against Peugeot. I say only but that's the most important win, of course. My point is you act as if they're unbeatable, when proven otherwise. I don't think Toyota will be like Peugeot and win every race bar LeMans, but I don't think Audi will win every race including it.

Another topic- Ishiura won quite the race in SGT yesterday. He was the fastest man on track late in the race in mixed conditions. And before that, Nakajima won the opening round of Formula Nippon. Seems like their Japanese drivers are out to a good start even before they step into the TS030.
sincerly 2012 can't be compared with 2011, peugeot won 6 ILMC races because IMHO the 908 car and drivers were much better the r18 and audi drivers, they didn't win at le mans because audi used a better set-up. This year the things are different, as toyota it self says, the 2012 season for them is a in-race development year, so, ever IMHO ts030 for now simply can't beat r18 in standard conditions.
Old 5 May 2012, 06:24 (Ref:3069574)   #2685
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
We'll see. I don't think Audi's drivers were outclassed. I think Audi itself was outclassed by Peugeot's car, one that hadn't changed much (besides engine) in it's whole lifetime.
Old 5 May 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3069595)   #2686
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Toyota may surprise and win a race this year and even show real pace against the Audi, but anyone who seriously thinks they will take the WEC title is IMO mistaken.
Old 5 May 2012, 09:20 (Ref:3069623)   #2687
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Toyota are tweeting that they have completed a functionality test. This can mean only one thing - they will challenge at Le Mans this year.
They have also said that Wurz and Lapierre completed 81 laps with the latest updates. Which means that they are building their fifth chassis which will be at Mallory on Wednesday.
Old 5 May 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3069641)   #2688
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tbh, I'm going with Hindy on this one, they can't contend for the win at Le Mans, not to say they can't in the rest of WEC, but yeah. Audi proved how much it mattered in 2009, and if Audi of all people couldn't make it happen, Toyota aren't.

Quote:
Maybe we will see Rebellion running future Toyota hybrid power? That'd be good. Can't wait to see how this thing goes.

Maybe we could see them as a satellite team running the TS030 or whatever when the hybrid system is available non-factory teams?
Old 5 May 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3069643)   #2689
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Short report, basically repeating the tweets that Adam43 mentions: http://www.toyotahybridracing.com/su...toyota-racing/
Old 5 May 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3069652)   #2690
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at e-info there is an interview with Pascal Vasselon and he says that the car seen at Spa "did not yet have all the latest details". interesting

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-10581.html
Old 5 May 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3069659)   #2691
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lots of info in that interview.

Is that the first public omission about what caused the testing crash. Water getting into the electrics and it affecting the braking process. I heard GG mention it was a water issue this morning in warm-up.

It also really sounds like they are struggling to have that second car there on test day. And if the other car crashes hard between now and then they are not going to be able to race it.
Old 5 May 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3069670)   #2692
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
The cause of the crash was already revealed in http://www.lemans.org/en/races/fia-w...elon_6748.html and http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120411/ALMS/120419977.
Quote:
Have you identified the problem experienced by Nicolas Lapierre?

"The cause of the incident was detected immediately. We were driving in conditions of heavy rain to test the car in the wet. Unfortunately, an electronic unit let in water, which caused the accident. We need to work on sealing the electronics, but nothing insurmountable. "
However, the EI article gives a much more detailed explanation of the incident. Pretty amazing that the tub was unrepairable by a 100 km/h crash

Last edited by gwyllion; 5 May 2012 at 10:19.
Old 5 May 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3069680)   #2693
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
BTW some pages back someone posted guessed manufacturing times for constructing a Carbon Chassis...I've now heard how long it actually takes and it's many, many, many more weeks more than what was suggested!
Quote:
Which post are you referring to?
  • #2327: 6+ weeks for Oreca and OAK
  • #2331: 22 days for Cadillac LMP900
  • #2423: 6 weeks for Peugeot 908
Okay, Vasselon explains in http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-10581.html that Toyota can only produce one monocoque at a time and that it takes them 10 weeks

They had to rush the completion of the new monocoque and its is exactly the same as the first. So no modifications (performance, reinforcements) like some have suggested.
Old 5 May 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3069683)   #2694
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
They plan to run another two 24h tests and don't have a chassis to spare?

Damn, that all sounds incredibly tight. We heard about Peugeots shortages before Le Mans after their crashes but this is something else.

Hopefully they can pull it off.
Old 5 May 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3069684)   #2695
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Okay, Vasselon explains in http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-10581.html that Toyota can only produce one monocoque at a time and that it takes them 10 weeks

They had to rush the completion of the new monocoque and its is exactly the same as the first. So no modifications (performance, reinforcements) like some have suggested.
Hopefully people will stop throwing around 'biggest manufacturer in the world' claims now we know the limitations they are working under.
Old 5 May 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3069693)   #2696
TF110
Veteran

United States
Basically because it's not a full-on project with huge factory support just yet. If they can only make one at a time, obviously someone or something else is going on at TMG, or they only have limited personnel. Good to hear that the car shown in Spa isn't even the final aero package. Seems the crash damaged the suspension and forced it through the monocoque, ouch!
Old 5 May 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3069697)   #2697
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
@TF110: Did you read the part of the interview in which Vasselon explains that they can only recover 500 kJ with heavy braking and not with short braking? So the Toyota system has the same limitation as the Audi solution
Old 5 May 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3069702)   #2698
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Basically because it's not a full-on project with huge factory support just yet. If they can only make one at a time, obviously someone or something else is going on at TMG, or they only have limited personnel. Good to hear that the car shown in Spa isn't even the final aero package. Seems the crash damaged the suspension and forced it through the monocoque, ouch!
This has been explained before why they are only able to build one at the time.
1. You just don't go hire a whole team of carbon builders in 1 month and put them to build a tub immediately.
2. Carbon is a material which you order sometime in advance (some people talk about a shortage), and if you can't get the Carbon, you can't build the tub .

So it isn't necessarily because something else is going on, it's more that TMG isn't geared for the job of 2 cars yet.
Or in more fancy words, TMG can't supply what Toyota/Oreca demands.

Honestly i'm a bit stuck, as it's very unprofessionally of Toyota not being able to fulfill their plans properly (ei. having a spare chassis at all time), but the reason Toyota can't fulfill it, is that they stepped up from their original plan, and pushed the facilities they have to the max, without being able to improve the facilities (ei. hiring more people and getting more CF), to save the WEC.
Old 5 May 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3069708)   #2699
TF110
Veteran

United States
I'm talking about the fact of being able to build only one car at a time. Regardless of whether they have enough material or not. To my knowledge the facilities are big enough for multiple projects to go on at once. Not sure if that's two autoclaves or what, but to me it means they have a small workforce dedicated towards this project right now, and/or someone else is using their facilities as well (which has been said before).
Old 5 May 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3069712)   #2700
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
@TF110: Did you read the part of the interview in which Vasselon explains that they can only recover 500 kJ with heavy braking and not with short braking? So the Toyota system has the same limitation as the Audi solution
"LeMans lends itself very well to this..." as he said. So recovering that amount of energy on each brake zone there (within reason) doesn't seem out of question. It's funny, because you say 'heavy braking', but then he says they could store twice as much if they were allowed. And when asked about 'small braking' he says "not yet"