Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Jan 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3014719)   #251
Mathew T
Rookie

Mathew T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There must be more going on then whats reported.... perhaps this is a sign of whats to come ???
Old 20 Jan 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3014720)   #252
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe they will use them as a test bed for Hybrid Systems or an F1 project like Toyota did with the GT-One(I know that won't happen.)

Honestly I have no idea, maybe they are afraid of showing themselves up, if a privateer team goes with 908's and dominates, it dosen't look good.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 20 Jan 2012, 21:15 (Ref:3014723)   #253
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They would love that. Less expense and still win!

Comedy theories here. I suspect they have decided to pull out to save some money. Any customer still requires some support and money. They may find it worthwhile, they may not. As Sportscar fans we are probably in the worse position to judge the benefit for Peugeot.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3014734)   #254
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
That's what I find the most confusing, why they feel the need to hold onto cars that will become obsolete? Ah well....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Comedy theories here............
Going in to the Peugeot museum?
Old 20 Jan 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3014737)   #255
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know how Peugeot can look worse than they already do, I don't think a lot of people are impressed with the departure (note this is targeted at Peugeot not Peugeot Sport).

Out of interest, anyone out in the Sebring? Did anyone actually get there before they pulled the plug?
Old 20 Jan 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3014751)   #256
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Spending lots of money on a Motorsport programme can also make you look bad if you are having to make cuts in the parent company.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3014759)   #257
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't know how Peugeot can look worse than they already do, I don't think a lot of people are impressed with the departure (note this is targeted at Peugeot not Peugeot Sport).
What looks like a winner in the eyes of race fans may not be a winner in the eyes of investors, dealers, the general public, governments who may provide assistance, and so forth. Peugeot has clearly been deficient in a few vital areas and they seemingly don't have the cash to address those as it is without making sacrifices. As far as sacrifices go, the race team is the easiest lamb to slaughter. On top of that, it gives a clear perception that the company is trying to do something to fix themselves.

Could they have set up a privateer-customer arm? I doubt that could make financial sense. I don't think there are privateers willing to spend that kind of money.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3014767)   #258
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
What looks like a winner in the eyes of race fans may not be a winner in the eyes of investors, dealers, the general public, governments who may provide assistance, and so forth. Peugeot has clearly been deficient in a few vital areas and they seemingly don't have the cash to address those as it is without making sacrifices. As far as sacrifices go, the race team is the easiest lamb to slaughter. On top of that, it gives a clear perception that the company is trying to do something to fix themselves.

Could they have set up a privateer-customer arm? I doubt that could make financial sense. I don't think there are privateers willing to spend that kind of money.
Pretty sure someone on MWM (might have been Graham) said that there were teams willing to run them. Maybe if they had announced their intentions earlier...

True, I mean, privateer budgets do kind of get trampled on by the factories, wouldn't be surprised if Audi's marketing and communication department was on par with Rebellion's entire programme
Old 21 Jan 2012, 00:05 (Ref:3014781)   #259
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Spending lots of money on a Motorsport programme can also make you look bad if you are having to make cuts in the parent company.
I dont see what the issue is however. Peugeot is an automotive company not a social club. Im sad that so many people lost there jobs but I dont think those people should criticize peugeot(if they have), for running a motorsport team neither should Peugeot feel bad about having a Motorsports team.

Motorsport and technology IS there business. thats what they do.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 00:48 (Ref:3014795)   #260
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I dont see what the issue is however. Peugeot is an automotive company not a social club. Im sad that so many people lost there jobs but I dont think those people should criticize peugeot(if they have), for running a motorsport team neither should Peugeot feel bad about having a Motorsports team.

Motorsport and technology IS there business. thats what they do.
The problem IS that they're an automotive company and not a sports car outfit per se, their 'obligation' is to the core business, not a venture. To my knowledge and having read up on their financial situation in Q3 and Q4 2011, they were hardly breaking even on their main subsidiary Peugeot Citroën Automobiles SA. It's not just Peugeot Sport that have got the axe either, another 6000 jobs have and are being shed.

Intresting read here about the budgets of the 908 and WRC programmes:
http://translate.google.com/translat...-de-80me-49254
Old 21 Jan 2012, 01:20 (Ref:3014801)   #261
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The problem IS that they're an automotive company and not a sports car outfit per se, their 'obligation' is to the core business, not a venture. To my knowledge and having read up on their financial situation in Q3 and Q4 2011, they were hardly breaking even on their main subsidiary Peugeot Citroën Automobiles SA. It's not just Peugeot Sport that have got the axe either, another 6000 jobs have and are being shed.

Intresting read here about the budgets of the 908 and WRC programmes:
http://translate.google.com/translat...-de-80me-49254
The WRC is cheaper, has sponsor support, has one of the best rally drivers in history(and French at that), uses a variation of a road car and is seen and much better known worldwide than the WEC.

For a cost and the benefit you get out of it, the WRC is a good deal.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 02:52 (Ref:3014816)   #262
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The WRC is cheaper, has sponsor support, has one of the best rally drivers in history(and French at that), uses a variation of a road car and is seen and much better known worldwide than the WEC.

Exactly. If figures are to be believed, Red Bull and Total cover about two-thirds of the entire WRC budget, more than one can say for the 908 programme, not sure how much Total and Polyphony Digital cover but it can't be substantial.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 02:55 (Ref:3014817)   #263
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I don't think it's that much cheaper, e.g. Loeb's two year deal is allegedly worth 20 million euros, the cost of a WRC car is around 1 million. But yes, sponsors are there and his ninth title is in the making
WRC might be better known that WEC, but just recently Loeb complained that he's eight time world champion, he fought with another Frenchman (Ogier) for the title last year, and still no TV station in France was broadcasting this.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 03:13 (Ref:3014820)   #264
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
I don't think it's that much cheaper, e.g. Loeb's two year deal is allegedly worth 20 million euros, the cost of a WRC car is around 1 million. But yes, sponsors are there and his ninth title is in the making
WRC might be better known that WEC, but just recently Loeb complained that he's eight time world champion, he fought with another Frenchman (Ogier) for the title last year, and still no TV station in France was broadcasting this.
I find it hard to believe that his contact for two years is worth 20 million euros, thats 10 million euros a year, in a championship that doesn't even get proper TV coverage.

Obviously since they're less out of pocket, PSA will let Citroen continue with their pointless shenanigans in a pointless championship
Old 21 Jan 2012, 03:21 (Ref:3014823)   #265
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People have mentioned the PURE situation before. I saw this quote:

Quote:
“On the other hand, there has been the news of Peugeot pulling out – and we were fairly inside that this might happen."
Quote:
Pollock added that PURE would continue to monitor the situation with Peugeot because of the number of people who may now be looking for work who could add to the programme.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/176113/..._approach.html

I wonder how much Pollock knew ahead of time. Perhaps there are things working behind the scenes with PURE and Peugeot? Maybe Peugeot figured they could recover money by selling the facilities to PURE and also place some ex-employees and that's why the plug was pulled so quickly? Who knows.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 06:21 (Ref:3014835)   #266
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
People have mentioned the PURE situation before. I saw this quote:

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/176113/..._approach.html

I wonder how much Pollock knew ahead of time. Perhaps there are things working behind the scenes with PURE and Peugeot? Maybe Peugeot figured they could recover money by selling the facilities to PURE and also place some ex-employees and that's why the plug was pulled so quickly? Who knows.
Asiatech redux. Haven't we seen this before?
Old 21 Jan 2012, 07:09 (Ref:3014844)   #267
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It mustn't be forgotten as well that Peugeot have a thriving customer rally program too (now with over 100 207 S2000 cars sold) so the learnings from Citroen probably go into the development and next generation of that car. What's more, no embarrassing losses in rally either.

I see their point in scrapping the 908 - if you are shedding 6000 jobs you are going to take a hell of a lot more heat for keeping the Le Mans program than cutting it. The decision making process may not have been sound but that's business.

I am gutted. Massive Peugeot fan. Have been for many years.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 07:18 (Ref:3014845)   #268
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Obviously since they're less out of pocket, PSA will let Citroen continue with their pointless shenanigans in a pointless championship
Demonstrating why we are not in good position judge.
By a lot of measurements sportscar racing is pointless too. In fact, probably more pointless! This includes the commercial measurement Peugeot have made.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3014856)   #269
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
WRC is not amazing currently (especially after the latest turn of events), but "a pointless championship that doesn't even get proper TV coverage" could be from the WEC description too.

Last edited by deggis; 21 Jan 2012 at 09:09.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3014923)   #270
Guy Fawkes
Rookie

Guy Fawkes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THANK YOU PEUGEOT FOR BEING AROUND THE PAST YEARS, FOR GIVING
PASSION AND EXCITEMENT (and kicking Audi's ass...)

THANK YOU FOR GIVING US THE FAST AND BEAUTIFUL PEUGEOT 908,
A CAR WHICH HAS ALREADY BECOME A LEGEND...

MERCI PEUGEOT-SPORT!! AUREVOIR ... (wherever and whenever this will be)
Old 21 Jan 2012, 13:09 (Ref:3014965)   #271
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
FWIW, I wonder if Pedro Lamy feels vindicated at all. Remember what he said after Le Mans?

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-7427.html

Perhaps Lamy was Tebowing after the announcement?
At least they didn't blame him for ending their endurance programme!
Old 21 Jan 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3015014)   #272
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
After last year's 24 hours of Le Mans, there was some discussion about the budget of Audi and Peugeot.

In the aftermatch of the yesterday's withdrawal, I just read that the Peugeot's budget was 75 million euro of which 20 million was funded by Total: http://www.tomorrownewsf1.com/peugeo...e-partir-26174
http://www.sportune.fr/sport-busines...-de-80me-49254 digs a bit deeper in the race budget of PSA.

According to the article, the motorsport budget of the PSA group is as follows:
  • Peugeot 908 program: 55 million (PSA) + 20 million (Total) = 75 million
  • Citroen WRC program: 15 million (PSA) + 10 million (Total) + 10 million (Red Bull) = 35 million
  • salary of Loeb: 20 million for 2012 + 2013 (see here)
That means a total annual budget of 80 million of PSA.

From those numbers is clear why the board decided the cancel the endurance program and not the rally program.

BTW the article also states that Total funds the other French car manufacturer, Renault, with an equal amount of money (i.e., 30 million).
Old 21 Jan 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3015047)   #273
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Albert View Post
At least they didn't blame him for ending their endurance programme!
Olivier Quesnel <-> Dave Richards?
Old 21 Jan 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3015113)   #274
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Olivier Quesnel <-> Dave Richards?
I'm a bit surprised that Richards hasn't come out and said that Peugeot left because they are running scared from the AMR-One!
Old 22 Jan 2012, 00:11 (Ref:3015156)   #275
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Terrible news! Blow to Sportscar racing. Hope to see them return in 2013 or 2014 with a budget!

Well for Peugeot sake, I hope they seriously consider rebuilding the car image they have. Peugeot's are a very acquired taste. All peugeots look odd(I wont use ugly) except for the RCZ. Maybe they just look better in person? (Can anyone confirm Peugeots look better in person?) Hopefully with a fresh look on all there model theyll gain more sales and return. Theyre not going to sell much more with the current vehicle set. dont know how they are europe second strongest.
What a lot of nonsense! The 908 was FAR better looking and FAR more stylish looking than Audi's ugle duckling R18 which looks like a WW2 Bomber with it's wings plucked off!

As regards Peugoets road cars I had a 405 Estate for many years and my current 406 Estate Turbo Diesel has given me years of reliable motoring...and still looks good eleven years on!

As regards the Team withdrawing I feel sorry for the Drivers who all did such a great job and now have all been left high and dry without drives (except clever ole Wurz)

Audi must be laughing how easy it's going to be! At least their drivers won't have to crash so often just trying to keep up with those fabulous 908s! RIP 908!