Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 17 Feb 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3206251)   #251
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member CCC View Post
Maybe you should read my post properly as usual people not getting their facts right!
My post stated that the event may not go ahead if money wasn't paid, obviously the money was paid at the at the 11th hour. Ring Gary Upson from Hampton Downs if you want the truth! Same deal with money that needed to be paid to David Turner before that would happen once again money must have been paid at the 11th hour! My prediction was that R2 Rupuna wouldn't happen! And what sort of an event would it be with 10 Suzuki's and 12 Utes as the support classes. What a disgrace this would be for our club let alone the financial disaster that it would leave!

But nice try to deflect the disgraceful actions of Head of TV3 Motorsports program Nigel Carpenter!
What a load of Bullocks. CCC, you can't even Spell your owns Tracks name correct
Old 17 Feb 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3206276)   #252
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Nothing to do with me joe, i only have one log in, Always have, always will, ask the mods if you have to....

Also joe, thought you had nothing to do with MSNZ, you sure bout that? Same with you ccc
didn't you used to post on here as gisfan? or was someone else?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 18:50 (Ref:3206280)   #253
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post

rallycross action at HD?

do you take any photos of the supports?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3206288)   #254
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guys, please stick to the topic and stop discussing each other once more. It gets very tedious and it's not relevant to the thread. If you have comments of that sort then use the report button and tell the mods.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3206290)   #255
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
rallycross action at HD?

do you take any photos of the supports?
I took plenty of the supports But I wont be going through them until I finish off the ST stuff. Will chuck some on here if you want
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3206293)   #256
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
cheers HP!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:14 (Ref:3206298)   #257
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommersby View Post
I...why are ST trying to get sanctioned by MSNZ.

This is a good question, what do they achive by this action because they certainly want to do it, does anyone on this forum actually know what it means to become a sanctioned series (or event)
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3206301)   #258
Sommersby
Racer

Sommersby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
This is a good question, what do they achive by this action because they certainly want to do it, does anyone on this forum actually know what it means to become a sanctioned series (or event)
I understand that it amounts to becoming a recognised series, as opposed to running events (essentially) as club meets.

Hope I've got that one right
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3206303)   #259
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who had parents that were involved with WW2 I often remember my late father saying that the first casualty in any war was the truth.

Maybe we should all remember that when looking at some of the posts in recent times about anything to do with any form of motorsport in NZ
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3206304)   #260
Club racer
Racer

Club racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member CCC View Post
Maybe you should read my post properly as usual people not getting their facts right!
My post stated that the event may not go ahead if money wasn't paid, obviously the money was paid at the at the 11th hour. Ring Gary Upson from Hampton Downs if you want the truth! Same deal with money that needed to be paid to David Turner before that would happen once again money must have been paid at the 11th hour! My prediction was that R2 Rupuna wouldn't happen! And what sort of an event would it be with 10 Suzuki's and 12 Utes as the support classes. What a disgrace this would be for our club let alone the financial disaster that it would leave!

But nice try to deflect the disgraceful actions of Head of TV3 Motorsports program Nigel Carpenter!

I DID ring Hampton Downs and they said categorically your post was bull***t. Not only that, but they know who you are and they thought that for someone in your position to be posting coments like that two days before a big race meeting was unacceptable and counterproductive for the sport. FACT: The gates were open on Thursday morning and stayed open throughout the weekend. FACT: Hampton Downs were marketing tickets for the event in their email newsletter on the same day you wrote this drivel.

Everyone on here knows who you are now, so the magnitude of the inappropriatness of your own comments on here dwarves anyone elses.

And with 20 SuperTourers, 10 Suzukis and 12 Utes, it will still be a whole lot better than anything else pretending to be top level in this country.

Last edited by Club racer; 17 Feb 2013 at 19:25.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3206309)   #261
Club racer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommersby View Post
I understand that it amounts to becoming a recognised series, as opposed to running events (essentially) essentially as club meets.

Hope I've got that one right

I fail to see the benefit in becoming a recognised series other than as a way to make peace. The successful categories in this country are not sanctioned and there is good reason why.

I also don't see the distinction you are trying to draw with club meets. Same circuit, same volunteer officials, same everything. What difference does it make?

Oh sorry, I forgot - quadruple the entry fees and $1000 dollar fines for not seeing a waved yellow. The old TMC Big Night Out Tax.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3206311)   #262
Sommersby
Racer

Sommersby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Club racer View Post
I fail to see the benefit in becoming a recognised series other than as a way to make peace. The successful categories in this country are not sanctioned and there is good reason why.

I also don't see the distinction you are trying to draw with club meets. Same circuit, same volunteer officials, same everything. What difference does it make?

Oh sorry, I forgot - quadruple the entry fees and $1000 dollar fines for not seeing a waved yellow. The old TMC Big Night Out Tax.
Does it offer protection in regard to meeting dates?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3206313)   #263
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It's pretty obvious that for them to become the premier NZ Touuring Car Championship they would have to be a sanctioned series.
There are other reason which V8ST understand and want and unlike your post above, they are well informed of the reasons why.

Please tell or show me ANYONE who was fined $1000 for missing a yellow. This comment does show some ignorance and makes an otherwise reasonable question loose some credibility.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3206315)   #264
Club racer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
It's up to the teams to secure their drivers - I guess if you are looking for one who is willing to pay that can take some time, it is not the fault of the series.

I only noticed one blank car, out of how many was it? Suspect that will change after Round 1, too.

It actually changed on Friday afternoon. Full season sponsorship from BOC and Crimsafe.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 20:08 (Ref:3206327)   #265
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
It actually changed on Friday afternoon. Full season sponsorship from BOC and Crimsafe.
I imagine some people were working around the clock to achieve that, too, so good on them.

I had a good day at HD yesterday, it was very hot though and not a lot of wind - one thing that Puke has over HD is that there are big trees you can sit under

Crowd numbers were not what I'd call enormous, but decent enough, car parks were full. But the apartments (and there are 80 of them) would have mostly had groups of 8-10 people in them (there were half a dozen that weren't being used of course) - so that made say 500 people that got to watch that didn't have tickets. I wonder if that would be a factor in V8SC's decision not to go there?

I enjoyed the racing, the ST's were great, albeit a little too much ehthusiasm in Race 1 (just like last year) - those first two turns are real killers when there are 20-odd cars all trying to go around them at the same time. Race 3 was the best, lots of passing and interesting to see how the gaps changed lap to lap as tyres came and went. Murph seems to always do a great job of looking after his, he must have a Jensen Button style of driving rather than a Lewis Hamilton style. Probably why he is good in the wet too.

Support classes were varied, I was disappointed in the small number of Xtreme GT's, those Brennan Racing Corvettes were monsters, that orange one sounded like it was hitting 10,000rpm on the front straight. Disappointing not to see Carl Hansen there at least, there were more at the Puke round last year from memory.

V8 Utes were not too bad, I have never been a huge fan of them though as I think they are slow, but they looked okay and there was plenty of action at the hairpin. Suzukis, well I've never been much of a fan of them either but it was something to watch. They probably need a grid of 20 to make it interesting.

CMC's were great as usual, just can't ever complain about them Loved that number 167 Mustang, absolutely beautiful car!

Challenge Cup was fine, hope the numbers get better with the 2014 calendar when everyone is on the same page hopefully. Oddly enough there were 3 TL cars sitting on the outside of the infield carpark (on the inside of the track between turns 1 and 2) which looked like old abandoned aircraft that you sometimes see at airports at the back. One was green, one yellow and one orange, all had the same black and coloured style paint job on the bonnets, there were two Fords and a Holden. I didn't get down to look any closer at them but I assume they are not being used by anyone. Anyone know anything about them?

Good numbers in Honda Cup but they only got the one race on Sunday. I'd probably rather watch them than the Suzukis TBH.

All in all a good day out, nice full programme and there were even drifters on the track at lunchtime A good half dozen or so, loose units as you'd expect. There seemed to be some action at Meremere yesterday, the two tracks are so close it might make sense to put in a link road and have a double header event every now and then in the medium term.

I will look forward to R2 at Ruapuna, Member CCC's comments notwithstanding. I think his crystal ball was a bit cloudy this weekend that's for sure. Well done to ST anyway, my son and I were suitably entertained!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3206336)   #266
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Here's an interesting fact: Qualifying times for the XTreme Sports & GT class, best time was the monster orange Brennan Corvette of 01:04.945. Compare that to Ant Pederson's ST qualifying time of 01:03.272 - I guess it is a reflection of just how quick the ST's are this year, but also how HD is not all about power.

Pity we also didn't see Chester's ex-V8SC there as well, I guess times are tough. Time for some quantitative easing from the Gummint I reckon!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3206345)   #267
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oddly enough there were 3 TL cars sitting on the outside of the infield carpark (on the inside of the track between turns 1 and 2) which looked like old abandoned aircraft that you sometimes see at airports at the back. One was green, one yellow and one orange, all had the same black and coloured style paint job on the bonnets, there were two Fords and a Holden.

Hi GB, glad you had a good day yesterday. Your report pretty much sums up my weekend too.

BTW those 3 cars you mention are 'Formula Challenge' track mules. You pay 3 or 400 bux to take them around HD for 6 laps. I did it a few years back and it was the worst bang for buck ever. In the email it stated that these cars were basically race cars, but of course they are not. They are simply road cars with a cage, some worn slicks, different brake pads and an exhaust. The one i 'tried' (a mocked up United Video Falcon) had brakes that where so past it that when you braked the whole steering wheel shuddered like crazy. When i asked the 'instructor' what it was he said that it was something to do with the tyres - yeah right!.

Standard engine and gear box too but just with the internals ripped out. All i could manage was a low 1.21 in those horrible, horrible cars. And even that time got me best time of the day! lame.

Something funny to add to your report GB. I was down at T1 for race 3 on the edge of the verandah, and i'd had a few by then so was getting quite vocal, and into it, as you do. Anyway, everytime SVG looked to be doing the business i would be shouting out something like 'c'mon cheese!' and after about 5 minutes there is a tap on my shoulder. Turned around and there is this lady telling me that his name is not cheese, and in fact that banner belongs to his dad!. "Aye, what do you mean, everyone calls him cheeseburger?" no they dont, its a nickname for his dad...."oh really you sure about that?"......oh yes quite sure, i'm his mum!!

So i also met SVG's mum on the weekend too. Nice lady, and very proud of her son.

Was thinking a bit last night about the whole MSNZ thing, and the only advantage i can see other than becoming recognised as a national series (which no one actually cares about) is the winner gets a Gold Star. My 3 year old nephew gets a gold star if he doesn't wet the bed, and i think a MSNZ gold star would have about the same meaning. If he gets 5 gold stars in a row, he gets a treat. If he has a bad night then its a cloud sticker....

I'm beginning to think being the 'rebel' or 'renegade' series may actually have some positive spin.....like they say any publicity is good publicity.

And after watching the Manfield show on Prime on saturday (the one that MSNZ thinks we should all be watching and going ooh-aah over) was just boring with very poor television and bad commentary. I needed a laugh at the time, and thats why i watched it. I laughed for the whole hour
Old 17 Feb 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3206362)   #268
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Hi GB, glad you had a good day yesterday. Your report pretty much sums up my weekend too.

BTW those 3 cars you mention are 'Formula Challenge' track mules. You pay 3 or 400 bux to take them around HD for 6 laps. I did it a few years back and it was the worst bang for buck ever. In the email it stated that these cars were basically race cars, but of course they are not. They are simply road cars with a cage, some worn slicks, different brake pads and an exhaust. The one i 'tried' (a mocked up United Video Falcon) had brakes that where so past it that when you braked the whole steering wheel shuddered like crazy. When i asked the 'instructor' what it was he said that it was something to do with the tyres - yeah right!.

Standard engine and gear box too but just with the internals ripped out. All i could manage was a low 1.21 in those horrible, horrible cars. And even that time got me best time of the day! lame.

Something funny to add to your report GB. I was down at T1 for race 3 on the edge of the verandah, and i'd had a few by then so was getting quite vocal, and into it, as you do. Anyway, everytime SVG looked to be doing the business i would be shouting out something like 'c'mon cheese!' and after about 5 minutes there is a tap on my shoulder. Turned around and there is this lady telling me that his name is not cheese, and in fact that banner belongs to his dad!. "Aye, what do you mean, everyone calls him cheeseburger?" no they dont, its a nickname for his dad...."oh really you sure about that?"......oh yes quite sure, i'm his mum!!

So i also met SVG's mum on the weekend too. Nice lady, and very proud of her son.

Was thinking a bit last night about the whole MSNZ thing, and the only advantage i can see other than becoming recognised as a national series (which no one actually cares about) is the winner gets a Gold Star. My 3 year old nephew gets a gold star if he doesn't wet the bed, and i think a MSNZ gold star would have about the same meaning. If he gets 5 gold stars in a row, he gets a treat. If he has a bad night then its a cloud sticker....

I'm beginning to think being the 'rebel' or 'renegade' series may actually have some positive spin.....like they say any publicity is good publicity.

And after watching the Manfield show on Prime on saturday (the one that MSNZ thinks we should all be watching and going ooh-aah over) was just boring with very poor television and bad commentary. I needed a laugh at the time, and thats why i watched it. I laughed for the whole hour
Thanks for the info on the cars, they looked a bit sad I thought. I was on the verandah for the first few laps of Race 3, which one were you? There was a blonde woman in a white hat who was sipping bubbles and looking a bit glam, were you in that group?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 22:05 (Ref:3206378)   #269
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Thanks for the info on the cars, they looked a bit sad I thought. I was on the verandah for the first few laps of Race 3, which one were you? There was a blonde woman in a white hat who was sipping bubbles and looking a bit glam, were you in that group?
I knew there must have been a few tenthers around. We were right on the left hand corner as you look onto the track at the exit of Turn 1. There was three of us, me in the ST shirt and SVG cap (signed of course!), the missus (brunette, white top, black pants and occasionaly putting her Red Bull F1 jacket on at times) and a client of mine wearing a greyish greenish top with jeans - tall skinny fella. Turned out he knows the Brennan crowd quite well and we had a good chat about that insane orange car - apparently it is only 5 litre but boy did it sound good! intersting to see the lap times though, i just assumed that the orange car would have been the fastest of the weekend full stop. We were there for about 10 laps i think and then found this real sweet spot just at the exit of pitlane, right behind the safety car. Note for future events - if you go there you can see most of the main straight, T1, and into T2. You can also hear the commentary blarring out of the saftey car, so you could always keep an ear on whats happening

We were also sat down on the white chairs if that helps? Which guy where you?

I didn't see the glam blondie

Would of been good to meet up with you
Old 17 Feb 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3206380)   #270
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
I knew there must have been a few tenthers around. We were right on the left hand corner as you look onto the track at the exit of Turn 1. There was three of us, me in the ST shirt and SVG cap (signed of course!), the missus (white top, black pants) and a client of mine wearing a greyish greenish top with jeans - tall skinny fella. We were there for about 10 laps i think and then found this real sweet spot just at the exit of pitlane.

We were also sat down on the white chairs if that helps?

I didn't see the glam blondie

Would of been good to meet up with you
Ah well, there's always Puke eh? I was at the other end of the deck, had my boy with me (taller than me now) and another mate. I was entertained by the antics of some of the people on the deck but I didn't spot you guys unfort.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:02 (Ref:3206408)   #271
Club racer
Racer

I also noted a complete lack of any apparent engine issues for all the teams. Getting back to the racing - well, it was great. Period.The Xtreme numbers were disappointing but the cars are something else either way, even when you just oggle them in the paddock. Echo the comment about the Hondas. Was impressed by the speed of their faster cars. 1.12s - Wow. That guy Mark Walters can certainly drive a race car. Didn't realise how much quicker than the Utes and the Suzukis those things are, plus they were well presented and there was plenty of them. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Utes and the Suzukis as well though - been a while since I saw them and they were great. Just need a few more. Guess that's a sign of the times more than anything else. Chris Hanley was pretty awesome to watch over Turn 3!

Last edited by Club racer; 17 Feb 2013 at 23:11.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3206415)   #272
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah well, there's always Puke eh? I was at the other end of the deck, had my boy with me (taller than me now) and another mate. I was entertained by the antics of some of the people on the deck but I didn't spot you guys unfort.
You wouldn't have seen me there Yesterday, GB or NZSTFAN, working most of the day but got to see the last race on Tele.I did get a report Grid side just before the start of 3. Pretty good racing, but always better being there imo. Looking forward to Round 2 and Getting along to Pukekohe for Round 3 in May (It seems along way away at the Moment). I wonder which Track they will use?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3206420)   #273
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
That's an interesting question, they might make that call once they see how everyone goes at the SC's. Would probably be nice to use the same one to see how they compare but it will take away the passing opportunities I think.

V8 Utes could be good if they were a bit faster, I mean best lap time in the 1:17's?? Top speed around the circuit 121km/h according to mylaps - no wonder they looked pedestrian! I like the fact that they are tail happy and not that bothered with lap times but give them some more straight-line squirt! Up the horses by 50 or 100 and then we'd have a spectacle!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3206424)   #274
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by nistfan View Post
You wouldn't have seen me there Yesterday, GB or NZSTFAN, working most of the day but got to see the last race on Tele.I did get a report Grid side just before the start of 3. Pretty good racing, but always better being there imo. Looking forward to Round 2 and Getting along to Pukekohe for Round 3 in May (It seems along way away at the Moment). I wonder which Track they will use?
Buggar dude, but if you gotta work, you gotta work. I know that from running my own business. I have had to miss a few rounds in the past due to the fact that i have to be at the goddam airport to fly to Chch for work on monday....does your head in sometimes.

Personally i think they will use the new track (if its finished, which it should be). But thats just my opinion, and it will provide some useful data for the SC boys.

I'm still trying to fathom Ants pole lap. What was last years pole lap? was it 1.03.8?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:25 (Ref:3206425)   #275
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
That's an interesting question, they might make that call once they see how everyone goes at the SC's. Would probably be nice to use the same one to see how they compare but it will take away the passing opportunities I think.

V8 Utes could be good if they were a bit faster, I mean best lap time in the 1:17's?? Top speed around the circuit 121km/h according to mylaps - no wonder they looked pedestrian! I like the fact that they are tail happy and not that bothered with lap times but give them some more straight-line squirt! Up the horses by 50 or 100 and then we'd have a spectacle!

I think mylaps is in mph?? otherwise the top speed of the ST's is 145 - 149 (ish) kph, which we know they are not. Multiply the number by 1.6 and you'll find the utes were hitting just under 195 kph.

Which makes the ST's about 240kph which sounds about right