Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Sep 2023, 11:44 (Ref:4178748)   #251
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do notice the programs have got smaller in size compared to the 90s and 00s. These ones you can easily fit in your pocket
Old 29 Sep 2023, 12:12 (Ref:4178749)   #252
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I do notice the programs have got smaller in size compared to the 90s and 00s. These ones you can easily fit in your pocket
Bit like Chocolate bars
Old 29 Sep 2023, 12:20 (Ref:4178752)   #253
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
Indeed, programmes are 5 quid alone now. Its on average a £60-70 day out once you've got in the gate. Per person. Which I don't feel is too unreasonable for 10ish hours of stuff to see/do/watch. 8am to 6pm.

That's somewhat misleading as most BTCC Sundays don't kick off until after midday because of noise issues and Church services, so, in reality, it's 6 hours at best less breaks between races and lost time to allow debris to be cleared and, usually, barriers to be repaired.

Yes, you can wander around the paddock in the morning if you want, but at Oulton this year, the paddock was absolutely crammed in the morning which made it uncomfortable; plus the long walk from where we were sitting.
Old 29 Sep 2023, 12:48 (Ref:4178756)   #254
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC programme in 1989 = £1
BTCC programme in 1999 = £4
BTCC programme in 2009 = £5
BTCC programme in 2019 = £5
BTCC programme in 2023 = £8

All for Donington Park.
Old 29 Sep 2023, 13:11 (Ref:4178760)   #255
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Abbott View Post
Clearly there was a big leap between the late '80s and '90s. However, applying most figures regarding inflation, £4 in '99 equates to somewhere between £7-£8 now. In other words, in real terms, they haven't gone up much (and in some place, remain at about £5).

Of course, there is a separate debate regarding page counts, information within, etc.
Old 29 Sep 2023, 13:22 (Ref:4178762)   #256
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Abbott View Post

All for Donington Park.

The BTCC wasn’t always the top bill in the 80s don’t forget. I think the last time the BTCC wasn’t the main headline would have been 20 years ago when the CART series came to Brands
Old 29 Sep 2023, 15:41 (Ref:4178780)   #257
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
That's somewhat misleading as most BTCC Sundays don't kick off until after midday because of noise issues and Church services, so, in reality, it's 6 hours at best less breaks between races and lost time to allow debris to be cleared and, usually, barriers to be repaired.
Looking at the scheduled start time of the first and last races at each circuit this year, that's just not true. Oulton and Croft have a late start, and to a lesser Thruxton. All three schedule the pit lane walkabout / autograph session prior to the first race rather than during the lunch break, so it's not as if you are standing around with nothing to do.

CircuitFirst RaceLast Race
Donington09:3017:25
Brands Hatch10:0017:55
Snetterton09:1517:15
Thruxton10:5017:20
Oulton Park12:1717:25
Croft11:5517:40
Knockhill09:2017:20
Donington GP09:4017:25
Silverstone09:3017:10
Brands GP10:0517:25
Old 29 Sep 2023, 22:32 (Ref:4178818)   #258
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually thought the Silverstone prog was a good one. A few light articles and interviews with drivers. For a fiver, more BTCC than you get in Autosport for the same price. Some of the £8 ones this year have been entry lists and a hello from the Kwik Fit gaffer and a certain Mr Palmer the corner gardener - very poor, glad they made an effort.
As for food. £10 for a double cheeseburger. Not as good as the £2 one at Towcester Maccy D's! After eating my own food I needed something - to be fair it was nice, but that price is too much. I mean a family day out, or even a lad n dad outing is a tough ask now.

I do recall Stuart Pringle on Radio Le Mans a couple of years back talking about improving the experience for clubs like 750 and the like for the clubbies, he admitted that some of those races made a profit from circuit hore rates that helped the F1 GP.

As for the comment about politics, I get that. It looks like Silverstone is treating BTCC as a mega club event (and BSB too) with a guaranteed income. They seem more interested in bigging up the Silverstone Festival - which must be on par with Moto GP for income now - and they don't want anything national topping that.

Going back and watching it on TV did surprise me a bit, some of the camera angles made it look like there were more people than were there - image is everything.
Will be interesting to see how Brands goes down, especially with the title almost a foregone conclusion.
Old 30 Sep 2023, 11:38 (Ref:4178855)   #259
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I paid about 45 quid the last time I went to the WEC, I thought that was pretty steep at the time but on reflection for an international series maybe that was about right? I think the biggest rip off was the Silverstone classic. I recall it being about 90 quid entry. I guess they are trying to compete with Goodwood on the pricing front.
Old 30 Sep 2023, 18:30 (Ref:4178921)   #260
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glastonbury 2024 £360 for 3 1/2 ish days. Just saying
Old 30 Sep 2023, 19:04 (Ref:4178940)   #261
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Glastonbury 2024 £360 for 3 1/2 ish days. Just saying

Yes that is definitely something you need to save up for
Old 30 Sep 2023, 19:27 (Ref:4178958)   #262
coffinpilot
Racer

Glasto is like modern F1.
Stuck in a field with Tarquin and Tabitha (funded by Daddy) with an incredibly dull soundtrack wishing you'd stayed at home and ignored it in the background on the telly!
Old 30 Sep 2023, 19:54 (Ref:4178982)   #263
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Glasto is like modern F1.
Stuck in a field with Tarquin and Tabitha (funded by Daddy) with an incredibly dull soundtrack wishing you'd stayed at home and ignored it in the background on the telly!

Have you been to either? I think there’s more to it than that!
Old 30 Sep 2023, 23:33 (Ref:4179053)   #264
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Have you been to either? I think there’s more to it than that!
Both.
Many times.
I think my two oldest kids were conceived at Glasto, and my eldest grandkids. Wouldn't get that at Silverstone - mind you, some of the European and South American GPs I've been to - I could see it there!
Old 1 Oct 2023, 03:27 (Ref:4179092)   #265
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Both.
Many times.
I think my two oldest kids were conceived at Glasto, and my eldest grandkids. Wouldn't get that at Silverstone - mind you, some of the European and South American GPs I've been to - I could see it there!
Tooooo much information
Old 1 Oct 2023, 11:30 (Ref:4179111)   #266
Matt_123
Rookie

Matt_123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Both.
Many times.
imma just add a pause in here. pause.
Old 1 Oct 2023, 16:40 (Ref:4179159)   #267
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Both.
Many times.
This is all really good rumours guys haha so excited for next season now ?
Old 1 Oct 2023, 17:24 (Ref:4179163)   #268
Matt_123
Rookie

Matt_123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
hahahaha always good rumours.

anyways who do we think is getting the 4th Hyundai seat alongside Pearson, Ingram and Chilton
Old 1 Oct 2023, 17:39 (Ref:4179164)   #269
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_123 View Post

anyways who do we think is getting the 4th Hyundai seat alongside Pearson, Ingram and Chilton
For better or worse, Halstead. If he wants it he can afford it, and I don’t think there’s many who could ‘outbid’ him.

Would rather Zelos finally gets a chance or someone else who could challenge for wins, but it all comes down to money! At least he’s not quite as magnetically attracted to gravel traps since the start of the season, even if he’s not much quicker!
Old 1 Oct 2023, 18:10 (Ref:4179167)   #270
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_123 View Post

Ingram and Chilton aren't guaranteed for next year (as per Marcus Simmons' recent Autosport article) but I'd honestly be surprised if they aren't at the team next year.

Personally, I'd like to see Dan Zelos get a chance. There's little for him to prove in MINIs after multiple titles (assuming nothing major happens at Brands GP), he's raced with EXCELR8 for years, and tested the Hyundai back in 2021. Of course, this doesn't factor in the perennial question of sponsorship.

Alternatively, and perhaps more logically, if Halstead is enjoying the BTCC and wants to continue with his sponsors/investment, I'd imagine him re-signing with the team.

A real wildcard would be someone like Bradley Gravett. Races for EXCELR8 and it seems like he has some decent backers in MINI JCW. There's also the nice storyline of the Gravett name returning for the first time since 1998.

The recent rumours of 6 Hyundais could easily shape the lineup (4 EXCELR8 + 2 customer). I don't think this arrangement would come to fruition but who knows. As a bad and highly unlikely example of how a customer Hyundai team could influence the 4th EXCELR8 seat, say Halstead's old friends at Fox Motorsport wanted in, he would move there which would open up the 4th EXCELR8 seat.
Old 1 Oct 2023, 20:58 (Ref:4179179)   #271
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
Indeed!
I think Halstead will stay - he's too invested in Crazy Carts to go elsewhere!

But seriously, on two fronts, he did say that when he moved to the BTCC he wanted to be in a front running car, with no point doing it in halves. He has the backing (it's not all his own money like some seem to think!) and I reckon he wants a second crack. Other drivers in a similar position have given it a second year at least. You can tell when older 'gentlemen' drivers are done. They start moaning - Nick seems quite up with everything still. I think that signifies he's still onboard too.

The second front is related to the Carts though. He's the only driver who has had the gumption to come in and try and change the social/digital aspect of the BTCC - it's a long, long, long way from being where it should be, but without him it wouldn't be were it is right now - which is a few steps forward from 12 months ago (which was the same as 12 years ago if I'm being slightly pedantic.)

If Ingram doesn't stay what's a real option? I bet he doesn't have to bring the budget of Pearson or Halstead. BSM will want him. I can't see him in a RWD. Back to Toyota? Space at NAPA?
Or what about leftfield? An independent Focus or i30? If a team takes up the cars if they come in?
Old 1 Oct 2023, 22:48 (Ref:4179188)   #272
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, I'd be extremely surprised (and disappointed) if Ingram was not retained by Excelr8. I mean, financial stuff can always change things for worse but I'd like to think things are pretty stable at Excelr8. So provided there's no sponsorship-related issues, I just can't see why Tingram would leave. He's far ahead of the other three drivers, built the team around himself. No point in leaving. All other top teams already have their number one drivers so that could be a challenge for Tom to join someone else's 'territory' in another team. Not that he's not strong enough to do it but with his position at Excelr8 there's just no point in doing that.
Btw nice to see some security for Pearson as he seems like a great future prospect. Chilton is quite solid and a good financial support I reckon. Halstead, well, that's just money, isn't it. One of the worst drivers this season and would be nice to see someone a lot stronger at Excelr8 that could bridge the gap between Pearson/Chilton and Ingram. Can't see such a driver though especially as he'd need to have a very strong backing. I'd say an unchanged lineup for Excelr8 in 2024 then.
Old 1 Oct 2023, 23:41 (Ref:4179191)   #273
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Nah, I'd be extremely surprised (and disappointed) if Ingram was not retained by Excelr8. I mean, financial stuff can always change things for worse but I'd like to think things are pretty stable at Excelr8. So provided there's no sponsorship-related issues, I just can't see why Tingram would leave. He's far ahead of the other three drivers, built the team around himself. No point in leaving. All other top teams already have their number one drivers so that could be a challenge for Tom to join someone else's 'territory' in another team. Not that he's not strong enough to do it but with his position at Excelr8 there's just no point in doing that.
Btw nice to see some security for Pearson as he seems like a great future prospect. Chilton is quite solid and a good financial support I reckon. Halstead, well, that's just money, isn't it. One of the worst drivers this season and would be nice to see someone a lot stronger at Excelr8 that could bridge the gap between Pearson/Chilton and Ingram. Can't see such a driver though especially as he'd need to have a very strong backing. I'd say an unchanged lineup for Excelr8 in 2024 then.
Agree 100% I just can't see any logic on Ingram leaving, and I think it's a given that if the team lost him they couldn't just slot in a replacement who'd operate at that level. They'd lose at least a year on a title challenge if they could get Cook as a number 1 as an example. Not saying Cook wouldn't be able to do something there, but as you state it's effectively a one man team at the moment, it's built around Ingram and it would be a bigger setback to the team than driver.

Then again. TCR were happy to post a photo of him with a TCR i30 at Brands recently.......
Old 2 Oct 2023, 10:03 (Ref:4179213)   #274
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Airbase kicking up a gear by rebranding to Alliance Racing UK. I wonder if many of the staff will relocate?
Old 2 Oct 2023, 10:28 (Ref:4179216)   #275
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Airbase kicking up a gear by rebranding to Alliance Racing UK. I wonder if many of the staff will relocate?
I’m sure that has crossed there minds…