Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Nov 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2581275)   #251
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the link

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...rom=public_rss
Old 14 Nov 2009, 04:08 (Ref:2581709)   #252
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO it reads like a lot of work being done for just $5m , no shortcuts I hope !!!!!!!
Old 14 Nov 2009, 05:09 (Ref:2581720)   #253
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
can some one explain to me why they need CCTV? normally thats a security issue?
Old 14 Nov 2009, 05:15 (Ref:2581723)   #254
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Don't most circuits have CCTV now?

It helps race control to make decisions.

Recent footage from the Sandown CCTV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l24hW7A8lso
Old 14 Nov 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2581726)   #255
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
thanks chevez, makes a lot of sense. always thought thats what the telecast needed, a fixed camera to catch everything and a moving camera to follow stuff.

I guess it also helps for club racing to follow things also
Old 16 Nov 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2582627)   #256
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.to keep an eye on 'safety car' movements.....(or lack thereof)
Old 18 Nov 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2584628)   #257
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
She's Over??
Old 19 Nov 2009, 00:06 (Ref:2584673)   #258
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Be interesting to be a fly on the wall for the discussion between the govmint and TC.

The concern from the V8s is not the track itself but the paddock / pit lane setup. Very, very hard to make changes in WA though due to the layout there and the high costs that would be involved.

There have already been people injured in the paddock due to the crowds around the cars so I can understand the V8 guys frustration but the fix is not easy and bloody expensive so the WA sporting car club can't do it alone.

If the govmint make some commitments then the issues could all be resolved.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 00:40 (Ref:2584692)   #259
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had to laugh at this mans perspective

[QUOTE] "From our point of view, and for literally for hundreds of thousands of fans in WA, we are sick of being put in a position where a gun is held to our head.[QUOTE]

Hundreds of thousands - How many attend the event?

Who is holding the gun? If anything it is the WA fan's who are having a gun held to them by V8SA.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2584696)   #260
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good on the government and those involved at the track for holding the line.

For a state with the population WA has, there is only so much funding they can cough up.

Personally I don't believe governments(taxpayers) should be funding motor racing at all.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2584832)   #261
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

For a state with the population WA has, there is only so much funding they can cough up.

Personally I don't believe governments(taxpayers) should be funding motor racing at all.
Well said , and I fully agree !!!! - Motor racing (V8 entertainment) is a minority sport and should be treated as such - the rosy picture painted by Cochrane and co doesn't wash with everyone , fortunately there are some State Premiers who won't bow to his demands - Good on em !
Old 19 Nov 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2584869)   #262
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

do you agree with the funding sport? or is it just motorsport you have an issue with
Old 19 Nov 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2584875)   #263
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
do you agree with the funding sport? or is it just motorsport you have an issue with
Peky , just for a moment put yourself in the place of "say for instance" an instructor at "Little Athletics" who is hoping and praying that the request for the grant from the Government for new equipment for his chargers is approved so that the little tykes have a chance of something bigger in the future , I bet that the numbers supporting "little Athletics" is way bigger than those that support the V8s "and all are voters" - looking at it differently ! how many supporters turn up to a V8 supercar round in WA (run once a year) and how many turn out for football (or any other ball sport) and compare the numbers over a period of a year and all of a sudden V8s are nowhere = why spend the $$ on something that gives so little benefit in return ??
Old 19 Nov 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2584880)   #264
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I just asked a question? because the response determines the discusion, I think maybe you underestimate motorsport and its appeal and also its participation rate, I also think you underestimate the governments contribition to athletics

( oh i am a little aths instructor)
Old 19 Nov 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2584891)   #265
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The black wiggle & "friends" could just buy the track, do the upgrades themselves and pocket the profits from the hundreds of thousands of race fans in WA that are beating down the gates to get to see the racing.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2584975)   #266
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TC : have you met your match

Quote:
TC can put up or shut up ... select neutral or leave the mouth in drive ... yap, yap .. me, me ... yap !

James Erskine on the phone to Kerry Stokes .... lets talk business Kerry. The #7 network, Westrac ... WA/ Growth? You owned the #7 franchise in WA first?
Jack Daniels WA .. lets put our budget into Aussie Rules, nah, give it the Force, no Glory, the Eagles you got to be kidding they get 500,000 punters to their home games year in, year out. Even the Dockers get better numbers than V8s !!@!
Jim Beam - no we dont want a growth market & /or sorry Dick, we need to support the local product. You dont contribute Dick, why would the WA budget kick in for you. Luzv you Dicky, but we've got our market to protect .. the boys up north dont mind a drink,sorry mate, ring TC, he's the ringmaster
HRT - hey Tom, HSV dont sell cars in WA any more. Kick in a quid for the Queensland market .. yeh, yeh, yeh ..

I'd call VESA as AGAIN & AGAIN being unable to put their money where their mouth is .. book it in Eddie !!!

I'd back VESA to select reverse .. they will be in WA next year, because the business model can not survive without WA.

Last edited by cavvy; 19 Nov 2009 at 11:58. Reason: TC cant get it up ..
Old 21 Nov 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2586263)   #267
cavvy
Veteran

a new V8 sponsor

On the Fiore car, Pommy crowd, oilfield supply: Airpac Bukom.

http://www.airpac.co.uk/pages/contact.html

Will they continue without their primary market Tony.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2586298)   #268
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TC gets howled down if he puts the thumb screws on state govenments for funding for street races at the detriment of permanent circuits. Now he gets howled down when he puts the thumb screws on state govenments for funding for permanent circuit upgrades.

Now we all know that the WA govenment is'nt going to bow down and hand over 50 million dollars and theres a good chance that the V8's will be in WA next year due to team and series sponsors wanting to be their, regardless of what TC says.

But remember the old saying 'squeaky wheel gets the oil'. That 5 mil offered by the WA govenment could very well turn into 10 or 15 million.

We all know TC is only doing this for V8SC's benefit, but remember that V8SC only use the circuit for 3 days of the year. The WA motorsport community will benefit from the upgrades for the other 362 days.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2586410)   #269
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
TC gets howled down if he puts the thumb screws on state govenments for funding for street races at the detriment of permanent circuits. Now he gets howled down when he puts the thumb screws on state govenments for funding for permanent circuit upgrades.
Oh how ironic.... Barely a peep about the amount of dough put into the Townsville, a track that no club racer will ever get to drive on.

I'm no fan of TC, but really with only one track in WA, they deserve better.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2586413)   #270
rik
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
put yourself in the place of "say for instance" an instructor at "Little Athletics" who is hoping and praying that the request for the grant from the Government for new equipment for his chargers is approved so that the little tykes have a chance of something bigger in the future
No doubt "Little Athletics" is a good cause for Government funding, but you do realise very wealthy sporting organisations like the AFL receive many tens of millions of State and Federal Government dollars every year? Including direct funding, club funding, stadium funding, drug funding etc.... not to mention what ever crumbs makes it's way to the grass roots level.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2586416)   #271
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally off the wall here...if I was the WA Govt I would build a new track in the North West. Broome, Port Hedland as examples......Now before you all say I am crazy think about it!
Most of the state's revenue comes from mining (Northwest) the area lacks facilities to attract people. The mining companies could chip in a few bucks to support it, thus relieving the govt/taxpayer.

Questions are:
1/ Population centres are important? ....Why? V8 supercars run in other countries where the population knows diddly crap about them....They run in Darwin...not a huge population centre...but a big fan base. Same for the N/W heaps of V8 revheads there.
2/ Travel for the teams....What about Darwin?
3/ ROI...Added tourism, close proximity to Asia...it costs less to fly in from Singapore to WA than Perth to Melbourne or Sydney. Positioned right, it could be a winner.
4/ Do I hear screams from the Perth fans.....live with it, either lose the the V8's or move forward. WA needs another A class track to support Wanneroo, this may be an option

Just my thoughts....OK start shooting!
Old 21 Nov 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2586677)   #272
cavvy
Veteran

outside the square ...

Accomodation Macca? Fly in/fly out?

A street race maybe?

Mid west region?
Old 21 Nov 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2586684)   #273
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
No doubt "Little Athletics" is a good cause for Government funding, but you do realise very wealthy sporting organisations like the AFL receive many tens of millions of State and Federal Government dollars every year? Including direct funding, club funding, stadium funding, drug funding etc.... not to mention what ever crumbs makes it's way to the grass roots level.
Exactly , look at the numbers who benefit from the funding , probably millions around Australia on any football weekend - a V8 Supercar weekend even at Cochrane's inflated figures probably 40-50,000.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2586701)   #274
rik
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
Exactly , look at the numbers who benefit from the funding , probably millions around Australia on any football weekend - a V8 Supercar weekend even at Cochrane's inflated figures probably 40-50,000.
So it's ok for Governments to fund the AFL cos millions watch? Even though they are the richest sporting code in Australia?

It also convenient that you forget that an upgrade to Barbagallo will benefit hundreds of thousand over the next 10 years that race there or attend driver training during the week, Police training etc.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2586723)   #275
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
So it's ok for Governments to fund the AFL cos millions watch? Even though they are the richest sporting code in Australia?

It also convenient that you forget that an upgrade to Barbagallo will benefit hundreds of thousand over the next 10 years that race there or attend driver training during the week, Police training etc.
Not talking about TV viewers talking about participants and those attending events , probably find that the V8's would be at about 5% of the football crowd who attend matches = not enough persons attend a V8 round for the justification of a major spend IMHO. = $5m is not a big spend on a permanent circuit , would be lucky to resurface the track for that amount .