Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2736679)   #251
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Whingeing about your car may cause cancer.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2736712)   #252
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
But constructive criticism is medically safe.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2736754)   #253
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Well we had it as recently as 2007 at McLaren so I don't think it is that unlikely.
But even then, it was reigned in, and there was also quite a bit of sloppy driving. I'd say neither Alonso nor Hamilton were at their peak.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 22:40 (Ref:2736773)   #254
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
But even then, it was reigned in, and there was also quite a bit of sloppy driving. I'd say neither Alonso nor Hamilton were at their peak.
That's not the point really though. The team had 2 aces in the cars and they were left to fight it out, most of the time.....

It is extremely rare that we get two out and out top liners driving for the same team at the same time these days.

Hamilton and Button fit the bill, but not many thought Button was a top liner a few years back?

McLaren thought they had the de-facto top guns in 2005/06, so did a lot of people. But as it turned out either they didn't or they spectacularly mis-managed them as they did in 2007!

Whatever the case, we're not seing the same nonsense from their drivers this year!
Old 1 Aug 2010, 08:07 (Ref:2736990)   #255
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That's not the point really though. The team had 2 aces in the cars and they were left to fight it out, most of the time.....

It is extremely rare that we get two out and out top liners driving for the same team at the same time these days.

Hamilton and Button fit the bill, but not many thought Button was a top liner a few years back?

McLaren thought they had the de-facto top guns in 2005/06, so did a lot of people. But as it turned out either they didn't or they spectacularly mis-managed them as they did in 2007!

Whatever the case, we're not seing the same nonsense from their drivers this year!
I actually wonder how much of that is due to the influence of the person who is now managing the team.....
Old 1 Aug 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2737020)   #256
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Didn't look very reigned in to me!
Old 1 Aug 2010, 10:44 (Ref:2737118)   #257
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Didn't look very reigned in to me!
The two of them exchanging fastest laps at Monaco, particularly going passed the swimming pool area, definitely did not look "reigned in" to me either!
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2737497)   #258
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

In the case of 2007, ultimately because Jenson is not as quick as Fernando, so usually doesn't get as close to Lewis.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2737797)   #259
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
2007 imo was jus spectacular mismanagement, McLaren completely dominant and a Ferrrari WDC - brilliant, just brilliant.

Text book reason for team orders - much as I hate the idea!
Old 1 Aug 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2737818)   #260
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A similar situation going on with Red Bull?

Hamilton and Alonso seem a league ahead of the rest to me.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2737825)   #261
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
This is what people seem to forget. With the exception of a few outside the sport, e.g. Sebastian Loeb (who I believe is outright the best driver currently competing in motorsport), and a few pay drivers at the back of the grid, F1 drivers are the 20 or so very best drivers in the world. Splitting them is splitting the truly special from the merely very, very good.

And occasionally, as was the case with Senna and Prost, we get the joy of two truly special drivers competing with each other.
As the thread is already quite OT, I might as well ask:
How do you rate hillclimb racers? They seem to be extremely fast, driving also rather sophosticated cars at times and doing that under conditions that demand a lot from a driver. And they pull it off on a constant basis without dying. I can't really decide whether they're extremely good racers or suicidal lunatics.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2737835)   #262
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannenmann View Post
As the thread is already quite OT, I might as well ask:
How do you rate hillclimb racers? They seem to be extremely fast, driving also rather sophosticated cars at times and doing that under conditions that demand a lot from a driver. And they pull it off on a constant basis without dying. I can't really decide whether they're extremely good racers or suicidal lunatics.
Have to admit I'm no expert on hillclimbing, but to go up the hills they do in the cars they do I reckon they're probably all suicidal lunatics...
Old 2 Aug 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2737996)   #263
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Have to admit I'm no expert on hillclimbing, but to go up the hills they do in the cars they do I reckon they're probably all suicidal lunatics...
I still remember seeing this first time.
Yes they are
Old 2 Aug 2010, 08:41 (Ref:2738010)   #264
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
But as we saw yesterday, being the 'fastest' driver doesn't necessarily mean that you will finish first. So best isn't just about being the 'fastest', otherwise why not just give all the points to pole position. No driver in the top 5 or 6 seems, overall, to be a league ahead to me.

And yes, there are far, far braver drivers and riders out there than you will ever see driving an F1 car, but F1 isn't about being the 'bravest' either.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 08:47 (Ref:2738011)   #265
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Being the best is about maximising your situations, which Hamilton has done way above anyone else this year. Barring two mechanical failures he'd be well clear, quite an achievement in that McLaren.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2738014)   #266
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Being the best is about maximising your situations.
Which puts Seb Vettel some way clear of the best.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 09:18 (Ref:2738030)   #267
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Being the best is about maximising your situations,
Overtaking a safety car being one of them.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 09:20 (Ref:2738032)   #268
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Right.

What?
Old 2 Aug 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2738037)   #269
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Just saying.

But all of these things even out in the end don't they.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2738186)   #270
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah
Old 7 Aug 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2740823)   #271
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse View Post
I still remember seeing this first time.
Yes they are
...wow...really wow! I don't know if that's the coolest thing I've ever seen, but it can't be far off...

...same goes for Lewis. If he isn't the best he's right there.

PS If anyone needs me I'll be in the suicidal maniac/mountian climbing forum

PPS I know no one will need me--save it.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2743996)   #272
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=BootsOntheSide;2725985] Jenson's excellent pit call in Australia and Lewis' late failure in Spain have kept them close on points, but Lewis is clearly the superior driver. He's beaten Jenson in four successive fair fights.

That is down largely to Button's inferior qualifying. It's becoming a truism, but Jense doesn't have LH's ability to wrestle a less than perfect car into submission, and pull out that one banzai Q3 lap. When the car's to JB's liking, there isn't a fag paper between them on race pace. I just hope we get some races where Jense qualifies alongside -- or even in front of -- Lewis, and we see them race toe to toe.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2745238)   #273
Schumiforeverever
Rookie

Schumiforeverever has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sorry but Hamilton is just someone who drives F1 cars of the 2000' ,if you undestand what i mean.

I'd be curious to see Hamilton driving a Virgin racing.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2745239)   #274
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumiforeverever View Post
Sorry but Hamilton is just someone who drives F1 cars of the 2000' ,if you undestand what i mean....
Nope, please explain
Old 16 Aug 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2745246)   #275
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumiforeverever View Post

I'd be curious to see Hamilton driving a Virgin racing.

Wait what?