Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2016, 05:54 (Ref:3663383)   #251
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Great video thanks.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 09:43 (Ref:3663402)   #252
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As usual we have a full gallery plus words from Silverstone plus the 70th Anniversary Cooper Car Club Meeting at Prescott. www.retro-speed.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6311_2.JPG   DSC_5665.JPG  
Old 4 Aug 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3663481)   #253
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://flic.kr/s/aHskEgDqSx

Too much power ? !

https://flic.kr/s/aHskFuZAe7

Some snaps from Sunday including Messrs Bell and Wills.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 07:01 (Ref:3663533)   #254
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My last lot from Race 4. In fact I only managed to view the first 4 races, the rest spent trekking the paddock trying to catch up with friends and colleagues.

It was a great shame that Till Bechtolsheimer (Allard J2 - see below) had mechanical woes right at the end of the race as it cost him the final podium place. It was rather reminiscent of his fine drive at Monaco, although on that occasion it was a blown head gasket on the last lap and he lost just one place to finish 3rd. A surprise was to see Peter Mann's Cooper Bristol T24/25 (see my last post) in the hands of Nick Wigley and John Ure, because the last time I saw that (on live streaming )was being comprehensively pranged at Monaco in practice, an accident from which John thankfully walked away, having put the car on pole. It's been subjected to a rapid and superb rebuild although it would be fair to say that it has lost some of its patina of age!

I might inflict a few paddock shots on you later!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2236SSJT.jpg   IMG_2259SSJT.jpg   IMG_2269SSJT.jpg  

IMG_2315SSJT.jpg  
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Aug 2016, 18:27 (Ref:3663654)   #255
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just another qucik one from me, here's my vid from Saturdays action at the Classic, should have last vid of Sundays action up tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH6oYQ0qP7E
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:47 (Ref:3663675)   #256
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://flic.kr/s/aHskEgDqSx

Too much power ? !

https://flic.kr/s/aHskFuZAe7

Some snaps from Sunday including Messrs Bell and Wills.
That's me in Mike's RS2000
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3663680)   #257
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
That's me in Mike's RS2000
Thanks !! I stand corrected :-)
Old 5 Aug 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3663683)   #258
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It's his big helmet that gives it away- if you'll pardon the expression....

Always difficult if both drivers wearing the same type of lid, so thanks Cliff for using a FF!

BTW anyone seen spectator attendance figures reported anywhere? I'm wondering, from comments suggesting new wing paddock quiet compared with previous years, whether attendance was down?
Old 6 Aug 2016, 21:33 (Ref:3663888)   #259
stiggy
Rookie

stiggy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
I managed a quick (and poor quality!) photograph during that race of someone spinning off at Luffield. Not sure who it was, but thought this was a sneaky moment to share!

Keith Files in the ex works TR4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 7 Aug 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3663983)   #260
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last one from me, here's my vid from Sunday's action at the Classic. Complete with last lap incident between Colin Noble Jr (Vauxhall Vectra) and James Dodd (Honda Accord)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jM8rS8pR74
Old 7 Aug 2016, 16:21 (Ref:3664011)   #261
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an appalling move by the Vauxhall driver. It deserves much sterner action than removal from the results though I doubt our spineless governing body will take any further action. I wouldn't want that driver in historics again. Perhaps he should try banger racing.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 16:08 (Ref:3664388)   #262
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV highlights:

A one-hour special on ITV4 at 9pm Thursday 11 August. Repeated 10am Sunday 14 August and 5pm Tuesday 16 August.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 11:58 (Ref:3664587)   #263
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the guy was simply doing whet he saw countless alleged heroes doing every fortnight on Grandstand back in the day.

The cars are built for it and the top guys even in what is alleged to be a historic series dish it out aswell as take it, I can tell you that from watching plenty of on boards from the series for the last couple of years.

It is nothing like it was in the heyday of BTCC, but contact is inevitable in these cars, you have to drive them on a limit tog et anything out of them, and they have a will of their own at that limit.

A certain amount of scoffing from the tweed jacket and chino brigade is always likely in this area of the forum, but this series is fairly unique in terms of the cars they run and the fact they really aren't that historic!! So for me it should be treated like a fairly normal high end clubby series like Brit GT, single make BTCC supports.

Oh and if you have ever watched banger racing, you will know that those sort of moves don't really get you anywhere! Follow ins, jacking and blitzing is where it's at!
Old 9 Aug 2016, 13:36 (Ref:3664615)   #264
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
....., but contact is inevitable in these cars, you have to drive them on a limit tog et anything out of them, and they have a will of their own at that limit.

disagree 100%.
With the rare exception of mechanical failure, contact in motor sport only occurs when a driver runs out of talent or respect for the others around him - or both.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 14:20 (Ref:3664622)   #265
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
disagree 100%.
With the rare exception of mechanical failure, contact in motor sport only occurs when a driver runs out of talent or respect for the others around him - or both.
And that applies especially when that driver doesn't have to pay for the consequential carnage. If current drivers had to fund out of their own earnings and build with their own hands the cars that they drive, then they would soon learn how to respect the fact that road course racing is a no contact sport, and that other drivers should not need to have to leave the track's limits to avoid contact.

And I've never worn a tweed jacket, let alone owned one (I do wear chinos, though!).
Old 9 Aug 2016, 15:15 (Ref:3664643)   #266
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It is nothing like it was in the heyday of BTCC, but contact is inevitable in these cars, you have to drive them on a limit tog et anything out of them, and they have a will of their own at that limit.
Contact is one thing, changing the trajectory of your car in order to deliberately force out someone who has bamboozled you into going the wrong way is totally something else. That's not contact, that's ramming. If you want that, try Robot Wars.

Equally this isn't the BTCC this is Gentlemen Racing, done for fun not for championship positions or manufacturer kudos.

Just checked, nope, no tweed jacket nor chinos just a sense of fair play and justice.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 16:18 (Ref:3664657)   #267
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think the guy was simply doing whet he saw countless alleged heroes doing every fortnight on Grandstand back in the day.
If you're talking about the driver who got excluded, he turned 20yrs old just before the meeting, so not sure he would have been watching Grandstand..... AFAIK he is not a regular in the series, but as you watch plenty of on boards from it, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Quote:
A certain amount of scoffing from the tweed jacket and chino brigade is always likely in this area of the forum,
-The only way to treat that remark.

I raced at Silverstone Classic with the Supertourers and GpA cars a few years ago. It may have been pure bad luck, but in the two races my car got hit twice. First was when an ex touring car driver ran into up the back of me on the opening lap, second when a Supertourer (I was inside of as we braked for a corner) turned and side swiped my car. That's the only damage sustained in 7 years.........
Old 9 Aug 2016, 18:08 (Ref:3664688)   #268
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If you're talking about the driver who got excluded, he turned 20yrs old just before the meeting, so not sure he would have been watching Grandstand..... AFAIK he is not a regular in the series, but as you watch plenty of on boards from it, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
Bugger me that explains it. Rotax karter.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 18:15 (Ref:3664691)   #269
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Bugger me that explains it. Rotax karter.
No thanks.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 19:09 (Ref:3664700)   #270
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

And I've never worn a tweed jacket, let alone owned one (I do wear chinos, though!).
Outside of the subject of the thread .... you really should try a tweed jacket. Lends a certain amount of gravitas and is a really good item of clothing even when worn with chinos, IMO.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 19:16 (Ref:3664703)   #271
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Contact is one thing, changing the trajectory of your car in order to deliberately force out someone who has bamboozled you into going the wrong way is totally something else.
I thought he had assumed that the other driver was going into the pits for some reason.

Was it not the last lap?

If he had taken that that option he would probably have won.

Old 9 Aug 2016, 19:29 (Ref:3664707)   #272
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Outside of the subject of the thread .... you really should try a tweed jacket. Lends a certain amount of gravitas and is a really good item of clothing even when worn with chinos, IMO.
That's as maybe, but I have a street cred to maintain!
Old 9 Aug 2016, 19:39 (Ref:3664708)   #273
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
That's as maybe, but I have a street cred to maintain!
That's Coronation Street we assume then? Flat 'at and dirty mac?
Old 9 Aug 2016, 19:47 (Ref:3664714)   #274
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to watch the video.I assume Sliverstone have relaxed four of at Copse now.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3665111)   #275
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Interpreting the press releases, sounds like the spectator figures could have been lower than 2015. Total 100,000, but 'up' on Friday and Sunday..... Anyone remember the total last year?