Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 17 Mar 2015, 23:42 (Ref:3516597)   #2776
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
It really seems like Nissan has bitten off more than they could chew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
This car was meant to shake things up. All they've done so far is shake their car to bits causing them to miss the first quarter of the season.

It wouldn't be that embarrassing if they hadn't talked themselves up so much and trash talked the other manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Toyota had a crash before they could enter. And they never trash talked or bragged about being this or that. Difference is Toyota stepped up to enter the wec early thanks to Peugeot dropping out. Nissan otoh, confirmed their entries, talked up a big game and now look, they're all the talk for the wrong reasons.

I think back in Japan they should have reined in all the hype and had a more realistic approach to their PR instead of trying to act like "bad boys" or whatever term they're using. From the get, I thought they should hold their tongue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
Toyota also didn't set the 2012 bar high, yet they gave Audi everything they could handle for 6 hours. Heck reliability didn't even knock the cars out, as the 8 had that freak accident with the Ferrari and the 7 ran into the stupid DW which started a cascade of problems...

Nissan was talking about winning this year lol...
Indeed.

Pie in the face for all the Nissan goons talking up big game and putting the other three down. I thought the bad-boys were supposed to come and steal the show? Talk is cheap these days and i blame that nitwit Andy Palmer. At the start of the season i was anticipating the moment the Toyota will lap the Nissan. Now it looks like the only challenge Nissan will have is from the GT classes. Hopefully they will learn a lesson in humility and and come back humble.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 23:49 (Ref:3516605)   #2777
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would see this as the same boat that Honda is in with F1, but in LMP1 Nissan can go off and test a lot. McLaren can't so we see all the trouble. Nissan probably want to avoid that and have all their problems in private, the current generation of top level competition cars (F1 & LMP1) are devilish complex just getting em to run is a challenge.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 02:03 (Ref:3516628)   #2778
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bummer......this is starting to stink like the zeod project.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 03:03 (Ref:3516632)   #2779
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
They don't have one.

I don't tend to think having a bunch of supplier issues says anything positive for the competency of the program. The way they structured it with where the cars are being designed, where they're being built, where they're being run out of, and then where they're actually being raced seemed like enough trouble for an LMP2. (remember people are calling Haas a moron just for wanting to have an American F1 team at all)

They can't make it to Spa? Well it sure doesn't help when your cars are being built 5600 miles away at a location 1700 miles from your race shop. Meanwhile for Toyota Motorsport it's a 134km cruise down the road, they could go home every night.
They have all three built. One is a mule. The other two are on the road as showcars right now.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 18 Mar 2015, 03:51 (Ref:3516639)   #2780
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Show cars? lol, waiting for the "all show, no go" crowd to turn up with that.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 05:13 (Ref:3516645)   #2781
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan ZEOD RC Shoots for First All-Electric Lap in Qualifying - June 11, 2014
“This is everything that Garage 56 should be,” he added. “It’s difficult, innovative, pushing boundaries; it might work and it might not. It’s brilliant. Why other manufacturers don’t get involved, I don’t know.”
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...in-qualifying/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox (Nissan): We’ll Refocus and Carry on Testing in the U.S. - March 17, 2015
“It’s unfortunate but we’re pushing the boundaries here,” he said. “It’s one of those things. We’re happy that we’ll be ready for Le Mans.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/c...ng-in-the-u-s/

Different time, same story. Guess what Nissan, Porsche, Audi, and Toyota are pushing boundaries too. Difference is they set attainable goals for their projects.

Philosophically are you truly pushing boundaries if you never have a success? I mean the point of developing race cars is to win races right?

I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 05:35 (Ref:3516646)   #2782
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I don't see why some people are so quick to slag Nissan off. I am glad they chose to build a P1 and glad they chose to be different. A six week delay is hardly the end of the world. A little patience is the order of the day in my opinion.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 06:07 (Ref:3516649)   #2783
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I don't see why some people are so quick to slag Nissan off. I am glad they chose to build a P1 and glad they chose to be different. A six week delay is hardly the end of the world. A little patience is the order of the day in my opinion.
Hey, this is an improvement.

We can go back a year in this thread and there were people promising to eat their hat, or something or other, if Nissan really built a P1.

Nissan's built a P1. It meets the rules. It's got some problems to work through, but it exists.

Whatever happened to those folks who declared it would never happen? <crickets>
Old 18 Mar 2015, 06:14 (Ref:3516651)   #2784
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
They have all three built. One is a mule. The other two are on the road as showcars right now.
If the tubs can't be homologated they don't have any race cars. I'd hardly call that fully built and running either way.

We're at the point where the GT500 GT-R (at this rate even the 2013 one) could completely embarrass the LM, either way. If they crap the bed at Le Mans I think if I were them I'd withdraw from the rest of the season just to not have to show my face at Fuji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
Nissan's built a P1. It meets the rules.
Apparently it doesn't, actually.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 06:21 (Ref:3516652)   #2785
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We're at the point where the GT500 GT-R (at this rate even the 2013 one) could completely embarrass the LM, either way. If they crap the bed at Le Mans I think if I were them I'd withdraw from the rest of the season just to not have to show my face at Fuji.
The GT500s were faster than the Rebellions last year and they've gotten even faster this year, maybe they should just ask the ACO for a waiver and run the GT500 GTR instead
Old 18 Mar 2015, 06:34 (Ref:3516654)   #2786
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoske View Post
Different time, same story. Guess what Nissan, Porsche, Audi, and Toyota are pushing boundaries too. Difference is they set attainable goals for their projects.

Philosophically are you truly pushing boundaries if you never have a success? I mean the point of developing race cars is to win races right?

I guess we'll see what happens.
How so?

Aerodynamically those cars are virtually the same. The Nissan is a completely different concept.

As far as not pushing boundaries if you never have a success, I would like to remind people of the Apple Newton. People laughed at it. They said 'Why would I ever want that? I have a Day-Timer" They made fun of the handwriting recognition. A few years later there were Palm Pilots all over the place and with increasing cell phone use, the functions got implemented in the Blackberry. Now everybody has the same stuff and more in their iPhone, Samsung, or whatever, but back in 1993, a handheld computer? "Why would I want that?"

It's not unusual for the first of a new idea that later dominates to be a failure. Many of the Chaparrals were failures, but the ideas they contained later achieved wide adoption.

If Nissan really has found something, we'll see an FE/FWD entry from Audi a couple years from now. Audi just cares about Le Mans, and it's a great concept for Le Mans.

At this point, I would say it's way to early to judge it not a success. If it doesn't win a race all year, that my not mean it's a failure. The true measure is if the concept is adopted by others later.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 06:35 (Ref:3516656)   #2787
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Apparently it doesn't, actually.
Care to elaborate on that?
Old 18 Mar 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3516658)   #2788
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Smiley missing ?

The showcars are definitely not built or designed to be raced. Just some lightweight construction shaped like the "real" car with four wheels attached to it.

Having three cars ready for the LM Test Day will already be quite a challenge. And that assumes having sorted out all the technical issues. What's the point of building three cars for LM if none of the them can run reliably and produce some decent performance ?

The ZEOD RC was already objectively a failure, but they could at least save face by claiming to have run a full lap at LM in pure electric mode. What is going to save Nissan's day if none of the three cars can run reliably at LM ?
Old 18 Mar 2015, 07:07 (Ref:3516662)   #2789
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
Care to elaborate on that?
The failed crash test
Old 18 Mar 2015, 09:24 (Ref:3516701)   #2790
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Something hit me this morning in the shower (and it wasn't the shower head).
Nissan's efforts really isn't that bad when we compare outside of the WEC.
Look at Honda in F1 with McLaren.
Honda has been more time (some say two years) developing their V6 Turbo Hybrid engine, which is currently failing massively, even though the regulations make both the Hybrid system and engine configuration very standart with a lot of standart components (like the ECU).
Nissan, has spend just a little more than a year developing a V6 Twin Turbo engine, together with a new hybrid system (although outsourced), a radical new approach to a LMP1 engine layout, with a new aerodynamic concept.
And this is not taking budget into consideration, where Honda is likely operating with a much larger budget.

I think we are all blinded by how flawlessly it has been for Toyota and Porsche to enter with a LMP1.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 09:56 (Ref:3516714)   #2791
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Something hit me this morning in the shower (and it wasn't the shower head).
Nissan's efforts really isn't that bad when we compare outside of the WEC.
Look at Honda in F1 with McLaren.
Honda has been more time (some say two years) developing their V6 Turbo Hybrid engine, which is currently failing massively, even though the regulations make both the Hybrid system and engine configuration very standart with a lot of standart components (like the ECU).
Nissan, has spend just a little more than a year developing a V6 Twin Turbo engine, together with a new hybrid system (although outsourced), a radical new approach to a LMP1 engine layout, with a new aerodynamic concept.
And this is not taking budget into consideration, where Honda is likely operating with a much larger budget.

I think we are all blinded by how flawlessly it has been for Toyota and Porsche to enter with a LMP1.

Totally agree with you, it's just the fact Cox and Palmer hyped it up so much, been led by all the PR, videos etc.

Personally I'm just frustrated because I've been looking forward to seeing this car in the flesh, only to be let down.
Probably the same with a lot people, easy quick fix is to slag the car off.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 10:31 (Ref:3516720)   #2792
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say I am also really sad that the car wouldn't be at Silverstone as I was looking forward to seeing it. However as Sam said earlier these new LMP1 cars are very complex bits of kit and they need to get it right before they go and race.

As for the PR Nissan must be doing something right because we are all talk about the car and them. What you have to remember Nissan doing things in very different way to everyone else with all there social media interaction etc. You don't see Audi doing do you....
Old 18 Mar 2015, 11:08 (Ref:3516731)   #2793
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Now skipping this Silversonte doesn´t feel like such a shame for me. Will be in the next one for sure!!! Still live covarege in the app will be awesome.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 11:30 (Ref:3516739)   #2794
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't wish to offend our friends across the Pond, but I'm really surprised Nissan decided to base their LMP1 program outside of Europe. When was the last time a US based project won Le Mans outright?

The Japanese usually involve an expert European team to run their cars (Toyota is using all the ex Peugeot guys) as have many other manufacturers in the past.

Jaguar - Walkinshaw, Audi & Porsche - Joest, even Mazda used Alan Docking.

Nissan should have recruited someone like Oreca etc,etc to run the program.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 12:46 (Ref:3516758)   #2795
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Stop stealing my thunder CTD, I said exactly this a whole week ago

However the problems have been racking up at an alarming rate. While it's premature to write Nissan off at the moment, I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed even at this early stage. I also don't think it's correct just to give Nissan a "free pass" for this season and then expect something competitive to turn up next year. They don't have to win or even make a podium but I would expect to see some form of progress related to pace (chiefly speed and acceleration) and reliability.

Going back to the Toyota comparison, they stepped into the big hole left by Peugeot. Nissan('s PR department) have dug this big hole all on their own.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 12:56 (Ref:3516761)   #2796
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
As for the PR Nissan must be doing something right because we are all talk about the car and them. What you have to remember Nissan doing things in very different way to everyone else with all there social media interaction etc. You don't see Audi doing do you....
Have to agree with this.

I literally cannot fathom how people can slate a company for having the audacity to try and actually tell people what they are doing.

To be clear this is completely different to company bosses making statements about ambitions, levels of competitiveness etc. You'll ultimately get judged on that stuff - but honestly I'd rather teams were up front and honest about their aims - when you've got Porsche on record as saying they want to achieve a podium at Le Mans this year. Come on Porsche, no you don't just want a podium.

Putting the sportscar message out in front of Super Bowl audience. Giving journalists (and by extension fans) in depth access to your car. These aren't things to throw back in Nissan's face. They should be applauded. They are ultimately doing huge amounts for the visibility of the sport we love, and breaking ground that even Audi couldn't.

Another argument you can always pull out - Nissan didn't have to spend money going LMP1 racing. It takes a certain amount of balls to go after the team's they are in competition with. It's sad to see so many people seemingly taking joy in their issues.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 13:00 (Ref:3516765)   #2797
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mike Fuller has had a little bit more info on the Nissan on his website:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch15.html

It seems it wasn't a motor mount exactly that failed, and it also seems that the ACO had a part to play in deciding how the KERS attaches to the monocoque.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3516788)   #2798
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Old 18 Mar 2015, 14:36 (Ref:3516808)   #2799
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just an aside, I see from DSC that Jann Mardenborough is going to do a full season of GP3 with Carlin this year as well as his drive in the P1 car.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 14:45 (Ref:3516813)   #2800
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the LMP1 program having a bad start already? While Nissan will miss a few rounds in the WEC, I'm hoping that they're ready for Le Mans!
Closed Thread