Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Jun 2015, 18:21 (Ref:3543901)   #2851
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Toyota is doing another shakedown at the Bugatti circuit tomorrow.
Old 1 Jun 2015, 19:25 (Ref:3543925)   #2852
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Apparently Toyota is doing another shakedown at the Bugatti circuit tomorrow.
I think Nissan is there too

https://twitter.com/ellwoodblues/sta...146753/photo/1
Old 1 Jun 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3543944)   #2853
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giba View Post
There are numerous times in the history of Le Mans that the fastest car hasn't won, so why can't it happen this year? The Toyota's will not be miles behind and can take advantage of weather conditions and incidents to move up the field.
I don't think anyone is saying that it can't happen. It's just that this time there will probably be six faster cars ahead of the Toyotas. But we'll see.
Old 1 Jun 2015, 22:44 (Ref:3544006)   #2854
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

Comparing races between years doesn't really work because every race is so different. But we wouldn't be into this sort of thing if it was predictable, would we?
Nope!! 13 more days!
Old 2 Jun 2015, 01:21 (Ref:3544055)   #2855
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Looking at the times, Toyota didnt seem to go for fast laps. During the rain they were just as quick as Audi and Porsche. Nakajima ran a 3:25 but besides that they seemed to run to a pace around 3:28/29. Nothing seemed very conclusive to me except Audi and Porsche did a few laps faster than Toyota's best.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3544128)   #2856
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Looking at the data (for what it's worth given the weather and the fact that the teams were doing their own programs), the #1 Toyota's average lap times (excluding in and out-laps and laps over 4:00) are competitive.
Numbers please, looking strictly at the fastest times Toyota is lagging around 2%, that would translate to half an hour deficit in 24h. But I think this is the worst case, I expect race pace to be 1% behind the fastest car, looking at total pit time in the past at LeMans it can be from 40 min to 1:30 depending on the strategy, car troubles or accidents.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 12:21 (Ref:3544171)   #2857
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Just correcting a little mistake there
LOL. you're forgetting that it's also Hamilton's fault. All four years in fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Looking at the times, Toyota didnt seem to go for fast laps. During the rain they were just as quick as Audi and Porsche. Nakajima ran a 3:25 but besides that they seemed to run to a pace around 3:28/29. Nothing seemed very conclusive to me except Audi and Porsche did a few laps faster than Toyota's best.
This is what i was thinking too. reminds me of TMG in their F1 days, rarely going for qualifying laps on practice sessions and sending Trulli out in Q1, 2 and
3 like his life depended on it. Im hopeful that they were doing the same on the test day. there were no reports saying they went for a fast lap.

I wander if Toyota and Nissan will lodge a complaint about Audi and Porsche's 3part rear wing
Old 2 Jun 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3544193)   #2858
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
i think nobody really went for fast laps. 3:21-3:22 for cars that acheived 1:54-1:55 in qualifying at spa definitely isn't pushing. of course, track conditions are probably the main reason for that, but to be honest, i expect toyota to be some 3 seconds behind porsche and audi over a single lap.
and although, in the history of the race, we've had cars running 3 seconds slower per lap than the fastest cars and still win the race, toyota are running against the 2 most successful and bulletproof marques that ever raced le mans, each of them with 3 cars and each of them probably 3 seconds faster a lap. so unfortunately, i think it will be quite a hard le mans week for them.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 20:01 (Ref:3544314)   #2859
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss View Post
i think nobody really went for fast laps. 3:21-3:22 for cars that acheived 1:54-1:55 in qualifying at spa definitely isn't pushing. of course, track conditions are probably the main reason for that, but to be honest, i expect toyota to be some 3 seconds behind porsche and audi over a single lap.
and although, in the history of the race, we've had cars running 3 seconds slower per lap than the fastest cars and still win the race, toyota are running against the 2 most successful and bulletproof marques that ever raced le mans, each of them with 3 cars and each of them probably 3 seconds faster a lap. so unfortunately, i think it will be quite a hard le mans week for them.
if we go by last years 371 laps, that logic will leave Toyota 18-19 minutes behind if we use (371*3)/60. So, definitely more than two major incidents for the front running cars will give Toyota a chance, given they stay out of trouble themselves. Could be another race to forget in 2015
Old 2 Jun 2015, 21:26 (Ref:3544342)   #2860
Skemer
Racer

Netherlands
Aalsmeer
Skemer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pic from today's shakedown

Here's another
Old 2 Jun 2015, 22:59 (Ref:3544363)   #2861
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The outside edges of the front opening are closed off a bit compared to this

Old 3 Jun 2015, 03:10 (Ref:3544403)   #2862
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi and Porsche aren't bulletproof.both have had issues this year. Don't forget last year both remaining audis had turbocharger failures that cost them 5 laps and near 20 minutes in the pits,and one also had an injector repair around midnight.while both Porsches retired in the last hour even though one went back out for the final lap.yes it's a 6 car opposition but all Toyota needs to do is stay with in a few laps and they may have a chance.its Le Mans so you never know.

I'm more worried about the practice sessions and qualifying.last year saw a lot of torn up race cars leading up to the race and Toyota has been short on available tubs.last thing they need is writing off a tub or two.

This year reminds me a lot of Le Mans 2010.its going to be an Audi and Porsche fight but I will have some hope for Toyota.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 12:54 (Ref:3544534)   #2863
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Toyota's only chance lies in the fact that the two others can't afford to go easy.

If it was just Audi they'd be hopeless as Audi could easily afford to play safe with at least one car. With Porsche in the mix, none of the other two can afford to go easy though..so there will be some attrition.

Toyota's best hope is that Audi and Porsche are very close to each other. If one of them has an edge and can afford to minimize risk after a few hours, Toyota's already slim chances twindle further.

I've said it before, it would be a remarkable turn of events if Toyota could somehow manage to win their first Le Mans while having a clearly slower car. Having the fastest car has never served them well in the past 30 years, after all.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 13:35 (Ref:3544548)   #2864
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Toyota has a shot if they can keep their car out of the garage. Audi and Porsche will be pushing each other but they do have a 3rd car they can play to a different strategy. Toyota is limited in strategy by only having to cars, but I am far from ready to count them out.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 14:20 (Ref:3544571)   #2865
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota just need to give their all with both cars all race and see what happens. They seem too far behind Audi and Porsche to go for a softly, softly approach as even if those two have problems they'll likely still overcome a plodding Toyota.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3544591)   #2866
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooky View Post
Toyota just need to give their all with both cars all race and see what happens. They seem too far behind Audi and Porsche to go for a softly, softly approach as even if those two have problems they'll likely still overcome a plodding Toyota.
The question is if Toyota's supposed reliability will last if they go "all out". They have to hope the tires last longer than Audi because the TS040 can probably do 1 lap more on fuel around 14laps, if they stretch their fuel mileage. Porsche will use more tires, but they can go to 14laps on fuel easy according to Truswell.

So here's the game:

Audi: Faster, long lasting tires, 13lap fuel stints
Porsche: Faster, shorter lasting tires, 14lap fuel stints
Toyota: Slower, longer lasting tires, 14lap fuel stints (touch and go apparently depending on how hard they push)

Last edited by kvenom; 3 Jun 2015 at 15:14.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 15:36 (Ref:3544596)   #2867
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I don't think pushing the car too hard is a wise strategy. They have to have perfect reliability to even have a shot, whether they're 2 or 3 seconds off probably won't make much of a difference.

They need to make sure they're still running should lightning strike the other two.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 15:45 (Ref:3544597)   #2868
kvenom
Veteran

The fact of the matter is, since the program started, they've only had 1 car out of the 6 entries have a clean race and that was the no.8 in 2013. Odds are stacked against them.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 17:26 (Ref:3544614)   #2869
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Then again, Toyota's more prone to lose cars to freak accidents than to actual reliability issues at Le Mans.

2012 both cars were involved in crashes, 2014 one was. That already counts for more than 50% of their problems at Le Mans in recent years.

They just have to keep their car on the road somehow.

Normally, the underdog hopes for rain but in all honesty, TMG has been absolutely terrible in dealing with rain ever since the program started.

Lost the #8 last year due to rain and lost Austin as well because they made the wrong calls.. so yeah, that would probably not work in their favor.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3544617)   #2870
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got strategy in '14 spot on in the rain at Silverstone though.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3544636)   #2871
kvenom
Veteran

Nakajima has been confirmed for the race.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 21:29 (Ref:3544718)   #2872
TF110
Veteran

United States
We dont even know what the race pace is for anyone, so its up in the air to who is fastest or slowest. Every year its the same, but there is never a dull race until there is no competition left. None of us knows what the future holds. Toyota could have both cars crash out or have a failure, or it could be all the Audi's, Porsche's, Nissan's etc. Nothing is set in stone. Judging pace is premature as well. The test day was anything but conclusive.

What I found interesting was Nissan's top speed being set without the hybrid. And on top speed, Toyota set their's during the wet in the second session!

Thinking back to 2013, that was an interesting race because no one thought Toyota stood a chance. But they finished 2nd and had a shot at the win thanks to their race pace and stint length. Le Mans is way more than speed, because the fastest car often doesnt win, its the best race in the world.
Old 5 Jun 2015, 23:49 (Ref:3545383)   #2873
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Marcus Schurig of Auto Motor & Sport (who's usually very well informed) confirms that Toyota's big issue is the V8.

Apparently Porsche has 1300hp at their disposal during boost phases, Toyota has to make do with "just" 1150hp, so that brings us back to the missing 150hp that have been rumored before.

Perhaps more worryingly, the article also mentions that the move to a turbo engine has to be decided in Japan (since they're supplying the whole power train) and they apparently haven't made that decision yet, meaning Toyota may have to do with the V8 for another season.

That's pretty disappointing news, having one year of having been caught out by the competition is one thing..but the prospect of looking at another season of being not fully competitive must be very disappointing for the team.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/m...o-9595304.html

Looks like TMC continues to hamstring TMG which is a big shame. They obviously have a very, very talented racing devision at their disposal but limit their potential by continuous underfunding/slow decision making.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 03:15 (Ref:3545400)   #2874
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know if TMC in Japan supplies the whole powertrain (the gearbox I think is designed by TMG and uses XTrac internals), but they do supply the engine.

The biggest problem with the current V8 is that it's down on torque without the hybrid system. It's also down on top end power due to rev limiting it to keep in mind the fuel consumption regs and above all else to enhance durability.

And though more power would be nice, torque would be a big help too. RCE's article on the Audi R18 say that Audi at most are making (based on press numbers) 820+bhp between engine and hybrid system (such a claim does seem low, but is based on Audi press numbers of 560+/270+ hp claims, emphasis on the +; Audi is probably in reality making about 900bhp combined), but RCE also state that Audi, between the diesel engine and hybrid system, are assuredly making more combined torque than everyone else right now.

But that's the advantage of forced induction. Turbochargers and superchargers are torque multipliers, and allow smaller engines to make the same power and torque as larger engines without having to run insanely high RPM (which doesn't boost torque at all).

We do have to remember that the block started out as a 2.65 liter turbocharged Indy Car engine if what we know about RV8 family is right (if that's not right, then it had it's origins in the 3.0 NA Indy Car engine used in the IRL), then became the 3.4 liter Formula Nippon/Super GT V8. It's now 3.7 liters.

If TMG are stuck with having to develop the V8 for the next car, does anyone have any idea how far they can stretch the bore and stroke and what capacity might they be able to milk out of the existing block?
Old 6 Jun 2015, 05:24 (Ref:3545408)   #2875
TF110
Veteran

United States
That unconfirmed powertrain information was said by Vasselon previously. He didnt give away details on next year's hybrid system or engine. But others in the team have said a new hybrid system arrives next year. I think thats the main issue. Not being able to release energy at will, or store up a significant amount hurts them. Then the weight issue on top of it doesnt help.