Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Jun 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2889362)   #2901
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are AM still owned by Ford?

Assuming an answer in the positive, is it impossible that they could use the 4.0L I6 that Ford Australia fit to the Falcon? It is a reliable* turbo engine that in Typhoon guise puts out 310kW, in a reliable state of tune for the road. Surely another couple of hundred kilowatts could be found if long term (more than 100000kms) reliability wasn't needed.

Just putting it out there....

* albeit for road use
Old 1 Jun 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2889379)   #2902
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Are AM still owned by Ford?

A
No, they aren't still owned by Ford, though they do maintain a less than 10% share holding in the company they sold off in 2007.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/12/i...r-925-million/
Old 1 Jun 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2889380)   #2903
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, no longer owned by Ford iirc.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 13:57 (Ref:2889402)   #2904
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Owned by a Kuwaiti investment corporation, I believe. Fronted by DPR as chairman.
I thought Ford retained a 16% share?
Whatever, FoMoCo have no controlling interest in the place.
As an aside, Jag/LRover and AML share a site over in Gaydon that's an old RAF base(The first place used to train V bomber crews, if it's of any interest) and the border disputes are interesting. To get IN to AML, you have to pass through a lot of JLR territory. The old AML management car park is now locked and unused, as it's on the 'other' side of the fence...
It's all very confusing!
Old 1 Jun 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2889452)   #2905
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
So , That makes Aston Martin a Kuwaiti brand & company then ?!?!?!

Last edited by The Badger; 1 Jun 2011 at 16:17.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2889468)   #2906
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
So , That makes Aston Martin a Kuwaiti brand & company then ?!?!?!
It most certainly doesn't, it is a British sportscar company! Burn the witch!!
Old 1 Jun 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2889580)   #2907
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I would agree ginger but in the UK badgers are a protected species unless the farmers get to cull them
Old 1 Jun 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2889626)   #2908
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ok , Kuwaiti owned British Sportscar Company then .

But if its owned by another country , doesnt the company adopt the identity of the owner , legaly ?

Hey , anyone know any law out there ?
Old 1 Jun 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2889682)   #2909
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is Ford still making the engines?
Old 1 Jun 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2889714)   #2910
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
On the Mulsanne's Corner facebook page, there's a graph showing the shift/gear change times between the Aston, Pug and Audi at Monza, with the Aston having the longest gaps between gear changes, and the Audi the shortest.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 07:21 (Ref:2889780)   #2911
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ok , Kuwaiti owned British Sportscar Company then .

But if its owned by another country , doesnt the company adopt the identity of the owner , legaly ?

Hey , anyone know any law out there ?
Surely a company takes the nationality of the country where it's registered office is? Which in AML's case is bound to be in the uk somewhere, Gaydon or Newport Pagnell maybe.

Actually to say that AML is Kuwaiti owned is not entirely correct, they may be the majority shareholders, but Ford, David Richards, and some other Americans I believe also hold shares, but I may be wrong. So like many non-privately owned companies they have shareholders dotted around the world. How do you decide the nationaility of any company that has shares issued and purchased by individuals and organisations around the world?

In the case of Lotus of course it is easy as they are wholly owned by Proton, and for MG as they are wholly owned by some Chinese lot.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2889896)   #2912
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
Surely a company takes the nationality of the country where it's registered office is? Which in AML's case is bound to be in the uk somewhere, Gaydon or Newport Pagnell maybe.
Don't forget 'Feltham' !

I agree with whats been said before......... overseas backing but without a doubt a British Car Company.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2889914)   #2913
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post

How do you decide the nationaility of any company that has shares issued and purchased by individuals and organisations around the world?
Good point about where its registered .

So , like Lola . Its Irish owned (Martin Birrane) but a British engineering company ?
Old 2 Jun 2011, 11:52 (Ref:2889932)   #2914
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Don't forget 'Feltham' !
AML don't have a factory or anything in Feltham anymore, I was only listing their current locations, whilst ignoring Milton Keynes (Stores Dept)
Old 2 Jun 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2889933)   #2915
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
Quote:
Good point about where its registered .

So , like Lola . Its Irish owned (Martin Birrane) but a British engineering company ?
I reckon so. Now if Lola were moved lock, stock and barrel to Ireland then they would become Irish.

IMHO a company only stops being British once the product is no longer made here, hence Dyson (the vacuum cleaners, not the American racers) are no longer truly British.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2889940)   #2916
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Hmmm. German V12 or Welsh V8.
Gearbox from, erm, Germany, I think?

It's perilously close to not being English any more! They NEED that new engine, and fast...
Old 2 Jun 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2890043)   #2917
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Video from the AMR-One's test at Monza...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok9s8aEyv3w

All I can say is... blimey. When that engine runs, it actually sounds brilliant. Didn't think I'd say this, but it almost rivals the V12.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2890054)   #2918
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Video from the AMR-One's test at Monza...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok9s8aEyv3w

All I can say is... blimey. When that engine runs, it actually sounds brilliant. Didn't think I'd say this, but it almost rivals the V12.
Thank you Sir! Been waiting for a video like this. It's growing on me looks-wise and that noise will do just nicely.

All the best to them.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2890062)   #2919
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe it's just me but that engine does have a tinge of Audi quattro/early 80's to it? Still can't quite warm up to the looks but the engine is making it much better. Hope it can spring a suprise next weekend!

Last edited by Speedblood; 2 Jun 2011 at 17:16. Reason: Not just quattro!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2890090)   #2920
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblood View Post
Maybe it's just me but that engine does have a tinge of Audi quattro/early 80's to it? Still can't quite warm up to the looks but the engine is making it much better. Hope it can spring a suprise next weekend!
A surprise next week i donĀ“t think so, but next year with a new aerodynamic pakage, and the I6 upgraded, will performe a lot better.

My guess is that they will last 7/8 hours next week.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2890105)   #2921
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was left pleasantly surprised by that video, although the wet conditions masked the car's actual speed, the sound was lovely. Bit of a misfire there at certain revs, which probably won't help over distance though.

I think I'll be at Arnage at 18.00HRS next Thursday, waiting to hear it for the first time for real
Old 2 Jun 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2890115)   #2922
Dome S102
Rookie

Dome S102 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives! View Post
I was left pleasantly surprised by that video, although the wet conditions masked the car's actual speed, the sound was lovely. Bit of a misfire there at certain revs, which probably won't help over distance though.

I think I'll be at Arnage at 18.00HRS next Thursday, waiting to hear it for the first time for real
I'm not sure this is misfire, it sound more like traction control to me.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2890235)   #2923
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I was very disapointed that I was denigned the Aston when at spa, but next wednesday I will be waiting for the first glimse and now thanks to previous comments to hear the sound of the new engine
Old 2 Jun 2011, 22:13 (Ref:2890247)   #2924
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I was very disapointed that I was denigned the Aston when at spa, but next wednesday I will be waiting for the first glimse and now thanks to previous comments to hear the sound of the new engine
Seems safe to say you will likely hear it before you see it. Just the way it should be!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2890254)   #2925
reef1234
Rookie

reef1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That will be the TC kicking in not a misfire...