Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jun 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3982441)   #2951
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Wasn't it a Connaught B Type Brooks first came to prominence in by winning the Syracuse Grand Prix ?
Come on admit it! Bauble knows hi stuff.
Old 17 Jun 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3982448)   #2952
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Wasn't it a Connaught B Type Brooks first came to prominence in by winning the Syracuse Grand Prix ?
Of course it was, I was not considering non championship races, must do better in future.
Old 17 Jun 2020, 17:31 (Ref:3982510)   #2953
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
EB; I think this game is only for UK residents…*Are we banned??
At least Salvadori and Brooks never raced a Matra!
Old 17 Jun 2020, 18:33 (Ref:3982522)   #2954
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
EB; I think this game is only for UK residents…*Are we banned??
At least Salvadori and Brooks never raced a Matra!
But they raced in France. And downunder! Plus my Dad used to get his car serviced at Tony Brooks garage/showroom in Brooklands Road, Weybridge.

Oh btw found a picture of Tony Brooks reunited with a Connaught B at Goodwood....

Photo: Mike Jiggle

Last edited by E.B; 17 Jun 2020 at 18:43.
Old 17 Jun 2020, 18:48 (Ref:3982524)   #2955
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Plus my Dad used to get his car serviced at Tony Brooks garage/showroom in Brooklands Road, Weybridge.
You're talking about his MG? Gosse de riche!
Old 17 Jun 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3982531)   #2956
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qui sont mes amis?
Attached Thumbnails
Moto Guzzi 250 Compressor 1.jpg   Revival Friday 001 (182).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (146).jpg  

Revival Friday 001 (137).jpg   Revival Friday 001 (178).jpg   479.jpg  

Old 17 Jun 2020, 19:30 (Ref:3982532)   #2957
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Behra.
Old 17 Jun 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3982534)   #2958
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What a wonderful set of pictures, you're rally a gentleman. I'm not disappointed. May be only one smash in the face of Romolo Tavoni or an other "rustre" is missing!
Old 17 Jun 2020, 19:52 (Ref:3982536)   #2959
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I dont think the brit version is very much complete… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Behra
May be bauble or another can tell us what he did with his Gordini during the first laps of the British Grand Prix. Amédée was so tight with money that to be on the grid was a must to grab the necessary starting money. The mechanics had to do some welding in the ignition system and Behra was aware it could not last for long…
From bauble's words, he had more balls than any Xmas tree!
Old 18 Jun 2020, 10:26 (Ref:3982589)   #2960
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Its strange to see that nowadays very few riders succeed in converting themselves to drivers. Valentino tried several times with little success like Biaggi, Doohan and Sheene, Ago did better. No more Surtess, Hailwood, Beltoise, Behra, Offenstadt, Depailler, Brambilla or Ceccoto to name few.

Who can name others from the pre-war era? Marcel Balsa wont be accepted because I knew him quite well… With pictures would be better!
Old 18 Jun 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3982594)   #2961
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernd Rosemeyer & Rudolf Caracciola both converted from bikes to cars.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 11:10 (Ref:3982595)   #2962
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Behra was one of those who drove with his heart and on his day could mix it with the very best. Certainly one who held in affection by those who knew him. I do love the fact he would always look at his passport and see where he’d been in the world to keep his spirits up. Always kept a sense of perspective. Shame it ended not only tragically, but so bitterly after being fired from Ferrari
Old 18 Jun 2020, 11:31 (Ref:3982600)   #2963
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Bernd Rosemeyer & Rudolf Caracciola both converted from bikes to cars.
As did Johnny Cecotto, in later years to those guys. I think JC was the youngest world champion on bikes at the time. (I think he beat Ago to the 350cc title in the mid seventies). He also had one of the highest poletarts ratio in bikes. He crashed a bit and used to get hurt.

In cars, he made it to F2, finishing as joint leader on points for the 1982 season before going on to F1, albeit in ordinary cars, before a bad crash curtailed his F1 career. He ended up settling down in Touring Cars, WTCC DTM BTCC and other stuff. He also ran at Bathurst I seem to recall.

Edit: Oooops.... I feel an impending ticking of from Bauble, for getting wordy in his picture thread. Serve him right for posting quizzes in it.

Last edited by E.B; 18 Jun 2020 at 11:39.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3982611)   #2964
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Freddie Dixon won TT's not only on a bike and in cars but with a Sidecar as well.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 12:19 (Ref:3982623)   #2965
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course Damon Hill started on bikes at British club level, before being persuaded to try single seaters. I think his Mum told him he would be safer in a car anyway

Then there was Schumacher who tried doing it the opposite way, going from cars to bikes and that didn't end well
Old 18 Jun 2020, 12:38 (Ref:3982632)   #2966
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
May be Dixon is the perfect example of a gifted driver/ rider, being able to be fast with almost any vehicle in any circumstance. RBS you can add Ascari to your list too…
Old 18 Jun 2020, 14:01 (Ref:3982645)   #2967
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What about Nuvolari, Rosier, Taruffi and Varzi? Pedro Rodriguez too I think.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 14:22 (Ref:3982650)   #2968
bauble
Veteran

England
Geoff Duke!
Old 18 Jun 2020, 14:24 (Ref:3982651)   #2969
bauble
Veteran

England
Let us get back on track'
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4744.jpg   IMG_5212 b.jpg   IMG_5300.JPG  

IMG_5338.JPG   IMG_5382.JPG   IMG_5390.JPG  

Old 18 Jun 2020, 14:27 (Ref:3982652)   #2970
bauble
Veteran

England
Or off it!
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0103.JPG   IMG_5589.JPG   IMG_6614.jpg  

IMG_7281.JPG   IMG_9223.JPG   Revival 2007 2 064.JPG  

Old 18 Jun 2020, 15:43 (Ref:3982667)   #2971
bauble
Veteran

England
Attachment 62132Here is an easy one;(Gerard, réponse par PM, et arrêter de montrer)
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0185.JPG   _MG_0592.JPG   Picture 502.jpg  

Spring Start 08 010.JPG   JPEG Image (26181).jpg   See Red a 012.JPG  

Old 18 Jun 2020, 18:55 (Ref:3982694)   #2972
bauble
Veteran

England
Hmmm?
Attached Thumbnails
771.JPG   IMG_0953.JPG   816.JPG  

IMG_0938.JPG   IMG_0481.JPG   IMG_0490.JPG  

Old 18 Jun 2020, 19:13 (Ref:3982699)   #2973
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
#2970, the Renault, 750 in the UK and 4CV in other countries is a pure jewel. A genuine "découvrable" has always been sought after. Many later conversions were made.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 19:48 (Ref:3982704)   #2974
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
2971, need help please! Not prince Birabongse aka Bira, not Sommer, not Flockart, not Raph… Who is it?
Old 18 Jun 2020, 20:32 (Ref:3982710)   #2975
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
2971, need help please! Not prince Birabongse aka Bira, not Sommer, not Flockart, not Raph… Who is it?
i am a bit confused with the Aston Martin but I think the driver is english.