Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Feb 2024, 04:39 (Ref:4195837)   #276
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
how it used to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8RHRl8GphY

and today i's not even close to 26 cars
I enjoyed the video. It put a smile on my face....
Old 10 Feb 2024, 20:09 (Ref:4196082)   #277
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 should have 26 cars. It's a shame what happened to Andretti, a F1 world champion name!
Old 10 Feb 2024, 21:38 (Ref:4196089)   #278
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
F1 has really made itself unpopular with this decision. Reality check is needed.
Old 10 Feb 2024, 22:17 (Ref:4196093)   #279
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
F1 has really made itself unpopular with this decision. Reality check is needed.
99.9% (probably more) of those who watch F1 won't have any idea.
Old 10 Feb 2024, 22:49 (Ref:4196095)   #280
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
99.9% (probably more) of those who watch F1 won't have any idea.

What is that even supposed to mean? I think F1 fans are a lot more clued in than you think
Old 10 Feb 2024, 23:17 (Ref:4196096)   #281
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What is that even supposed to mean? I think F1 fans are a lot more clued in than you think
It means 99.9%, probably more, watching F1 won't have any idea of their rejection. It certainly hasn't made F1 suddenly "unpopular" (in your words). And it will hardly affect the racing.

In any case, when somebody is warned that if they apply for something on a certain basis you will be rejected, but then they go on and apply on that basis anyway, they really shouldn't act too surprised when they are rejected.

At the end of the day teams are currently valued at circa $1b, so they really aren't about to let someone in for a $200m fee and a circa $300m investment. Sure some keen-type fans will be unhappy, but they are thinking as fans, and with little or no business sense coming into their thoughts.
Old 10 Feb 2024, 23:28 (Ref:4196097)   #282
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It means 99.9%, probably more, watching F1 won't have any idea of their rejection. And it will hardly affect the racing.

In any case, when somebody is warned that if they apply for something on a certain basis you will be rejected, but then they go on and apply on that basis anyway, they really shouldn't act too surprised when they are rejected.

At the end of the day teams are currently valued at circa $1b, so they really aren't about to let someone in for a $200m fee and a circa $300m investment.
I’m sure a LOT more than 0.1% of the fan base are aware of this.
There was no other way for them to apply.If you read the long feature article in this years Autocourse there is no doubt the fix was in from Day 1.
The process is fundamentally flawed.I don’t know at what point the decision passed from the FIA making the decision and then Bernie had to sort out the financials to the inmates running the asylum but that is where it became unfair.
As I’ve said repeatedly the wishes of the existing teams should not be a major factor in this decision.They have done nothing themselves to cause this Golden Age of F1.They have just been lucky enough to be holding a winning lottery ticket.It is on the back of Netflix and the once in several generations 2021 Championship battle.If you want to bring the people who caused this growth into the decision get Netflix to decide if they want Andretti in.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 04:00 (Ref:4196105)   #283
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have to absolutely laugh when someone tosses out numbers like 99.9% on anything with conviction. It is just such a "pull out of thin air" number. Why not say 110%

It's just his attempt to wind people up as usual. What is so obviously wrong with the statement is that even if casual fans ignore ALL F1 news, the topic will be talked about at some point during broadcasts of at least US based races if not others as well. So a large and significant number of fans will at least know about it.

Richard
Old 11 Feb 2024, 07:43 (Ref:4196114)   #284
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I have to absolutely laugh when someone tosses out numbers like 99.9% on anything with conviction. It is just such a "pull out of thin air" number. Why not say 110%

It's just his attempt to wind people up as usual. What is so obviously wrong with the statement is that even if casual fans ignore ALL F1 news, the topic will be talked about at some point during broadcasts of at least US based races if not others as well. So a large and significant number of fans will at least know about it.

Richard
When more than 0.1% of UK F1 viewers have interacted with the comments section of the BBC article about the rejection, you know the figure of 99.9% is absolute fiction.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 09:37 (Ref:4196118)   #285
peebee2
Veteran

OK, maybe 99.9% is an exaggeration. Mind you that BBC claim is "absolute fiction" too.

But a certainty that the vast majority of F1 viewers worldwide will have no knowledge or interest.

It's like writing pages and pages of overthought nonsense that has literally zero bearing on reality. You can spend hours writing it but it doesn't mean it has any bearing on the reality of what is actually a very simple situation, as everyone in the sport knows - including the applicant.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 10:36 (Ref:4196122)   #286
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
True, but their lack of any in-depth knowledge of F1 doesn't make it right.
Much the same as any sport, or indeed any topic.

Every weekend millions of people, if not billions, complain about refereeing decisions when it's obvious they are actually in the dark about the actual laws of the game.

Doesn't stop them enjoying it, or the endless media analysis on every platform going, nor the billions and billions turned over.

People come up with all sorts of theories but, in my experience, the simple and obvious reason is usually pretty much the truth. Just like the case here.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 12:45 (Ref:4196133)   #287
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Is that what Andretti did?

Quote:
At the end of the day teams are currently valued at circa $1b, so they really aren't about to let someone in for a $200m fee and a circa $300m investment. Sure some keen-type fans will be unhappy, but they are thinking as fans, and with little or no business sense coming into their thoughts.
I thought the entry fee that is payable by any and all new entrants, is set at $200m?
Old 11 Feb 2024, 13:57 (Ref:4196142)   #288
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I thought the entry fee that is payable by any and all new entrants, is set at $200m?
That's the current, and right now very dated, (anti-)dilution fee.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 14:24 (Ref:4196144)   #289
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That's the current, and right now very dated, (anti-)dilution fee.

If it is very dated then it needs to be updated.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 14:26 (Ref:4196145)   #290
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I enjoyed the video. It put a smile on my face....
this is even better

1989 Prequalify at Canada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5qJx0MVja8

13 drivers were in it, that's 65% of the current entire grid !! think about that !!

and look at that access people had to the cars, not like the sterile **** of today why the heck F1 stil has viewers is beyond me
Old 11 Feb 2024, 14:58 (Ref:4196150)   #291
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
and look at that access people had to the cars, not like the sterile **** of today why the heck F1 stil has viewers is beyond me
If that level of access existed today the cars would be pulled to pieces.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 15:23 (Ref:4196151)   #292
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would imagine that a significant number of fans follow F1 on social media like twitter, Reddit, insta, FB, some other new aggregator and/or sports feeds delivering related news via their mobile apps and phones.

If the number is only 0.1% or anything even remotely close to that I would be massively surprised….everyone has a phone right?
Old 11 Feb 2024, 15:28 (Ref:4196153)   #293
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I would imagine that a significant number of fans follow F1 on social media like twitter, Reddit, insta, FB, some other new aggregator and/or sports feeds delivering related news via their mobile apps and phones.

If the number is only 0.1% or anything even remotely close to that I would be massively surprised….everyone has a phone right?
Perhaps but seeing/reading headlines of the top teams isn't, I think, going to be the same as clear interest in the detail of the whole championships.

You just have to look at this forum. Some knowledgeable people, but a massive amount or fantasy/rubbish posted by people who would claim, and genuinely are, serious F1/motorsport fans.

Last edited by peebee2; 11 Feb 2024 at 15:51.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 15:32 (Ref:4196155)   #294
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Yes - the >0.1% was in response to a claim that '99.9%, probably more, watching F1 won't have any idea of their rejection'.
The comments section of a single BBC article about the rejection received more interactions (comments and feedbacks) than 0.1% of people who watch F1 in the UK. There will be many more people who have read the article and not interacted with the comments section, and even more who get their F1 information from elsewhere - as you say.

To claim that more than 99.9% of F1 watchers will not now about Andretti's bid being rejected is impertinent to both a significant portion of F1 watchers and contributors to this forum.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 15:54 (Ref:4196157)   #295
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yes - the >0.1% was in response to a claim that '99.9%, probably more, watching F1 won't have any idea of their rejection'.
The comments section of a single BBC article about the rejection received more interactions (comments and feedbacks) than 0.1% of people who watch F1 in the UK. There will be many more people who have read the article and not interacted with the comments section, and even more who get their F1 information from elsewhere - as you say.
Yadda, yadda. Of course, every comment and feedback on your BBC article was from a separate individual...

It's like the nonsense of believing press releases or, indeed, not believing anything which wasn't in a press release. I won't say "99.9%" but the vast majority of F1 news and gossip never makes any official press release appearance.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 16:10 (Ref:4196158)   #296
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Got it, you originally misspoke. Thanks for clarifying. You didn’t mean 99.9%, nor did you mean won’t have any idea. It was more most won’t have read in detail. Thanks for clarifying.

Let’s move on from the semantics here. Someone just didn’t explain themselves very well.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 16:46 (Ref:4196163)   #297
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then again, the whole thing about trying to use their present market value as an excuse to do these actions against possible new entries just shows the amount of ignorance and arrogance on their part. For what is the most destructive of financial actions?...

Market Correction. And the way many financial markets are, and have been, acting, we are due.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 18:48 (Ref:4196178)   #298
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If we were talking about a StefanGP bid or some such then for sure I could be inclined to agree with peebee’s assessment that this is a very low interest story but the Andretti name does carry with it much more attention. Obviously N.America isn’t the world but stories of this rejection did cross over onto the front page of main stream sports sites and sports highlight shows over here.

And for that to happen someone in programming must think there is value in prioritizing it. Not Super Bowl level interest of course but it was the most prominent Motorsport related story of that day with interest both inside and outside of F1 circles.

Maybe just maybe, FOM and those in the know are underestimating just what the fans find of interest? Kind of feel like this is exactly at the heart of this issue.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 19:28 (Ref:4196181)   #299
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe just maybe, FOM and those in the know are underestimating just what the fans find of interest? Kind of feel like this is exactly at the heart of this issue.
Cost/value are the things at the heart of this issue.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 19:37 (Ref:4196184)   #300
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If it is very dated then it needs to be updated.
Plus it's a fixed value over a relatively long duration (Concorde Agreement duration). In hindsight, no doubt the teams and FOM believe they didn't think that through fully. I suspect the next iteration of that agreement will used a more complex computation that is likely to have a high minimum and an indexable value that allows it to grow even higher if team values grow. To effectively price it out of just about anyone's reach, but if someone has deep enough pockets the teams would get some type of massive windfall.

Given that some of the reasons FOM has used to exclude Andretti directly apply to a number of existing teams in the championship, I wonder if there might be a push for some type of relegation process in which if a team sits at the bottom of the championship year after year that they may be forced to either surrender or sell their entry. Then again, if you are currently bouncing around at the bottom of the championship, would you even sign up for that? And if FOM wants to play hardball, what if they don't even try to sign (or do try to sign, but force onerous conditions upon) a team like Haas into a future Concorde agreement even if they are in the series today? Could they do that? I assume they could given there has been risks of teams (i.e. Ferrari) not signing unless concessions were made to get them to sign, so I can image the reverse can also be true.

But I think the initial point is valid which was... the teams agreed to an entry fee but are not willing to stand by their agreement if someone met the conditions. So they are creating other roadblocks. I guess another perspective is that the Concorde agreement was either purposefully (or accidently) written with enough vagueness that an excuse for exclusion can always be found.

But we are beating a dead horse on this entire thing until something changes. Such as FOM changes their mind (99.9% sure that is not going to happen ) or some type of legal challenge is put forth.

Richard