Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Feb 2022, 18:37 (Ref:4098980)   #276
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I think its a joke… Not thousands but hundreds fo thousands!
Old 16 Feb 2022, 20:43 (Ref:4098996)   #277
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As I am in the UK I popped up to Brands Hatch today and saw this old boy driving round in one of these, is it true that they made thousands of them but "most" have only just been discovered in the last few years ?
Did anyone recognize the "old boy" ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Feb 2022, 20:49 (Ref:4098997)   #278
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
]As I am in the UK I popped up to Brands Hatch today and saw this old boy driving round in one of these, is it true that they made thousnds of them but "most" have only just been discovered in the last few years ?
Certainly did.... or it was someone wearing Iain's helmet.
Old 16 Feb 2022, 20:51 (Ref:4098999)   #279
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I stopped to 'rehydrate' after walking the dog recently and saw someone buying a round of drinks with a telephone.

Yes, I do it all the time. Very easy to go over budget though.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Feb 2022, 21:35 (Ref:4099006)   #280
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's somewhat windy up here, this evening. Mind you, it's not much better outside at the moment!
Old 16 Feb 2022, 21:53 (Ref:4099008)   #281
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It's somewhat windy up here, this evening. Mind you, it's not much better outside at the moment!
It's windy down this end as well, I know that because our wood burning stove is difficult to keep to a sensible temperature
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Feb 2022, 21:54 (Ref:4099009)   #282
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Certainly did.... or it was someone wearing Iain's helmet.
Give that man a prize as he recognized it from halfway round the world
Old 17 Feb 2022, 00:19 (Ref:4099021)   #283
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As I am in the UK I popped up to Brands Hatch today and saw this old boy driving round in one of these, is it true that they made thousnds of them but "most" have only just been discovered in the last few years ?
Attachment 73618
Gordon, are you saying they made thousands of 'Old Boys'? If so which one have we got on here?
Old 17 Feb 2022, 01:11 (Ref:4099024)   #284
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Gordon, are you saying they made thousands of 'Old Boys'? If so which one have we got on here?
Well I think that you really know who is in the drivers seat by his crash helmet (especially if you blow the picture up} and yes there are thousands of old boys still knocking about, me included who is 5 years older than him !!
Old 17 Feb 2022, 01:24 (Ref:4099025)   #285
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
I stopped to 'rehydrate' after walking the dog recently and saw someone buying a round of drinks with a telephone.

Some of the places you have to use a phone to buy drinks, as it wouldn't be possible to carry that much money on you !!
Joking aside several shops won't accept cash near where I live, it started with this covid "thing" where they didn't want to handle cash. I went in to get a couple of sausage rolls at a local farm shop to eat at work, I only had cash in my pocket and they refused to take it !!!!!!!
Old 17 Feb 2022, 03:16 (Ref:4099031)   #286
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
As I am in the UK I popped up to Brands Hatch today and saw this old boy driving round in one of these, is it true that they made thousnds of them but "most" have only just been discovered in the last few years ?
Attachment 73618
Now now Gordon.
Old 17 Feb 2022, 03:21 (Ref:4099032)   #287
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
See my post above yours for a 'strong' clue.
Old 17 Feb 2022, 04:32 (Ref:4099035)   #288
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Actually I have just re-read Bauble's post and think he is 'avin a larf' with his comment.

If I can pick the mystery person Gordon was referring to, with my high mileage, factory original, period correct htp 'spec' (sic) eyes, then I am sure that Mr B, with his supermodified, non original after market, latest tech freshly rebuilt 'Goodwood Special' (spec) eyes could pick the gentleman concerned with no trouble.....

Just sayin'....
Old 17 Feb 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4099049)   #289
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Actually I have just re-read Bauble's post and think he is 'avin a larf' with his comment.

If I can pick the mystery person Gordon was referring to, with my high mileage, factory original, period correct htp 'spec' (sic) eyes, then I am sure that Mr B, with his supermodified, non original after market, latest tech freshly rebuilt 'Goodwood Special' (spec) eyes could pick the gentleman concerned with no trouble.....

Just sayin'....
Always read the tag line!!!!!!
Old 17 Feb 2022, 09:05 (Ref:4099051)   #290
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
As I am in the UK I popped up to Brands Hatch today and saw this old boy driving round in one of these, is it true that they made thousands of them but "most" have only just been discovered in the last few years ?
He was so excited he phoned me up to tell me last Saturday!

He was asking which side window to look out of down paddock hill

Last edited by zefarelly; 17 Feb 2022 at 09:15.
Old 17 Feb 2022, 10:57 (Ref:4099060)   #291
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Never too late to discover the meaning of "happy tail" or "she steers at rear"!
Old 17 Feb 2022, 12:51 (Ref:4099066)   #292
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

In the post office recently they wouldn't accept a £10 note to pay for postage and I didn't have a card with me.

we'll be back to bartering for assorted goods and services in the sticks soon.
You need the online computing device to arrange the mortgage or overdraft to pay for the drinks. So it makes sense to simply transfer the funds immediately using the same device.

Old 17 Feb 2022, 13:02 (Ref:4099069)   #293
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Can one of our more tech savvy members tell me why it is that businesses are pushing customers to use their mobile apps even when they are already using their online facilities. I have noticed that some firms are offering special deals only to mobile customers, and this even applies to at least one bank that is offering customers a cashback policy but only if you apply via their mobile app - their T & Cs even state that you cannot apply online.

Is it an attempt to force customers to ditch online in favour of mobile apps, and why? Is it cheaper or what is the advantage to them?
I think the concept is, inter alia, that the availability of a phone number and the potential for sending text messages to a registered number in order to use confirmation codes if deemed necessary, is more secure in some way.

That it also provides much greater data grab opportunities and marketing potential and general control over customers is, of course, not a consideration at all.

Looking more widely, once all transaction are digital and more readily traceable government could expect to know all they might ever need to know about the subjects under their jurisdiction. That would eliminate the need to fill in tax returns, for example, and the banks would see greater opportunities for direct debit mandates for paying everything from tax dues to road use charges.

Track and trace should be much easier when the next pandemic arrives.
Old 17 Feb 2022, 13:52 (Ref:4099076)   #294
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I get all that you say, Grant, but that still doesn't answer about what the advantage, and it must have to be in financial terms because banks in particular are not known for being altruistic, for wanting their customers to upload their mobile apps.

And, in the case of my bank who are the ones offering a cash facility only via the mobile app, they already have my mobile number and already use that number to text me a log-in code to go on online. Furthermore, I now do all my banking online meaning that I no longer require a physical banking facility that costs them money to support. So what financial reward for them whether I use online or mobile app? That's what I fail to understand.
Old 17 Feb 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4099079)   #295
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The app is I think more secure especially if you use fingerprint or eye scanner. I use my banking app for most things, including paying in the odd cheque I get now. Most of the banks round here are shut, and if I need cash there's always the ATM in the village. But I don't often need cash because I pay so often with my phone. Cheaper for me, cheaper for the retailer than going to town and paying in cash.

Grant as for "control" over you, what did you have in mind? And targeted marketing works for me, I'd rather see adverts for car parts than baby food!

Old 17 Feb 2022, 18:48 (Ref:4099131)   #296
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
You need the online computing device to arrange the mortgage or overdraft to pay for the drinks. So it makes sense to simply transfer the funds immediately using the same device.

Reminds me of the first time I went rallying in Sweden, when it was commonplace to run a tab by putting your credit card in a glass held behind the bar......because the drinks were so expensive nobody could pay in cash! (and that was in the 80s...... )
Old 17 Feb 2022, 19:44 (Ref:4099143)   #297
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did you ever try to pay everything in cash during one month? Paying with a credit card or even worse a mobile phone does not show how money goes out! I once tried to have a dedicated bank account for the race expenses but gave up presto, its a shame! May be counting is the first step to retirement after all…
Old 18 Feb 2022, 07:31 (Ref:4099215)   #298
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Cortina was delivered back to its owner yesterday with along list of jobs to do.
The bump steer was the most horrendous.On compression going through Paddock bend the car would just turn left.When I told Gordon all this he just replied that that was normal.I had some fun chasing a MGB a bit later but was pleased when the owner said that was enough for the day.We also had Dr Bob Elite out and HRTR5 FJ Gemini. All good but I was chuffed with the Gemini as I had rebuilt the Diff with new CWP myself and its the best it ever has gone.When we took the tail of the car to check everything we were all ecstatic as there were no !! oil leaks. Happy days.
Don't get blown away everyone. I'm not allowed to bike to work today.
Old 18 Feb 2022, 07:40 (Ref:4099217)   #299
midgetman
Veteran

Probably a good idea not to cycle Iain. I was due to go to Sittingbourne today but decided to leave at silly o'clock tomorrow instead. I wouldn't want an awning up in these winds anyway.

Old 18 Feb 2022, 11:25 (Ref:4099263)   #300
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
There's so much wind that my Yorkies are learning naval terms! Heading into the wind means they barely move forward, tailwind means they can fly! I'll change the male's name for Popeye!
Closed Thread