Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Jun 2014, 05:37 (Ref:3419049)   #276
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't believe in coincidences! Then again maybe DJR rolling out the red carpet trying to make something happen.

If it does happen could Tim Cyndric come out to run it?

I know some people don't like the "pommy" invaders but lets face it both 888 and HRT are a class act. The Prodrive thing didn't really work out but Penske in the series facing up to the best of the current teams makes me salivate...

With the history Penkse bringing Shell back is absolutely not impossible and I can't see too many drivers turning that opportunity down given the opportunity.

From Dick's perspective, if he can get out with some compensation, a consultant/figurehead role with super strong and capable owners, and Shell on the side of the car, surely you couldn't wish for more than that?

Last edited by Mixer; 12 Jun 2014 at 05:51.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3419235)   #277
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
If it does happen could Tim Cyndric come out to run it?
Cindric is far too high up the Penske chain (second in charge and will ultimatly take the whole thing over) to be sent faraway down here.

I'd expect a "Tim Edwards" type to run the team, while Cindric had a "David Richards" type of role.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3419246)   #278
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I'd expect a "Tim Edwards" type to run the team, while Cindric had a "David Richards" type of role.
I would guess that any Penske fans would be hoping for a bit less bluster and a few more results... No doubting Mr Edwards pedigree but 8 years for any real measurable success with a Bathurst win and perhaps the best shot yet at the title this year is a long wait and a testament to his loyalty.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 05:13 (Ref:3419734)   #279
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I would guess that any Penske fans would be hoping for a bit less bluster and a few more results... No doubting Mr Edwards pedigree but 8 years for any real measurable success with a Bathurst win and perhaps the best shot yet at the title this year is a long wait and a testament to his loyalty.
Kind of hard to determine if they've been a success or failure.

They're inarguably the second-best team across the past five years but as far as winning the big two (Title or B1000) only picked up a single trophy.

Their direct equivalent is HRT, which they've comprehensively outperformed - but HRT has an extra Bathurst title to their name.

Their ability to shoot themselves in the foot is legend, but do they actually make more mistakes, or do FPR's get more prominence because they occur in more competitive positions than their non-T8 rivals?
Old 13 Jun 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3419897)   #280
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My use of 'Tim Edwards' was just using as an example the pre-2013 FPR setup, where it was owned from afar under David Richards (in this case Penske/Cindric) with a local running the day-to-day.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 04:48 (Ref:3421451)   #281
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
My use of 'Tim Edwards' was just using as an example the pre-2013 FPR setup, where it was owned from afar under David Richards (in this case Penske/Cindric) with a local running the day-to-day.
He's exactly the kind of person Penske could and should attract. You couldn't ask for a better background or experience to run a v8 team.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 04:50 (Ref:3422881)   #282
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This guy could be in the mix "supposedly"

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/06/17/...g-race-brands/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Classic
Old 21 Jun 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3424739)   #283
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Ford's future?:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorspo...620-zsgt4.html
Old 22 Jun 2014, 01:06 (Ref:3424765)   #284
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doesn't really shed any light though does it. Down to a measly six cars, who would have thought it...
Old 22 Jun 2014, 02:45 (Ref:3424788)   #285
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most interesting part of that article is that it implies they know what they are doing, but they say they can't release a statement until nearer the end of the season. If it was good news, I can't see why they wouldn't just say it now.

The only thing I can think of, bearing in mind that they are currently laying staff off, is that they want to get all the firing out of the way before they announce that they are going to continue with motor racing.

Or is it more simply that they don't know what model they will be running and are waiting for further word from headquarters on this?
Old 22 Jun 2014, 04:45 (Ref:3424804)   #286
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
The most interesting part of that article is that it implies they know what they are doing, but they say they can't release a statement until nearer the end of the season. If it was good news, I can't see why they wouldn't just say it now.

The only thing I can think of, bearing in mind that they are currently laying staff off, is that they want to get all the firing out of the way before they announce that they are going to continue with motor racing.

Or is it more simply that they don't know what model they will be running and are waiting for further word from headquarters on this?
It will be a waste of money running a car based on a Mondeo IMO.........looking at their proposed model line-up after 2016 it's Mustang or nothing.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 07:39 (Ref:3424833)   #287
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Doesn't really shed any light though does it. Down to a measly six cars, who would have thought it...
Only takes one to win.. Which is happening..
Old 22 Jun 2014, 08:39 (Ref:3424859)   #288
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
It will be a waste of money running a car based on a Mondeo IMO.........looking at their proposed model line-up after 2016 it's Mustang or nothing.
A rule change would be required for this, and I imagine the other manufacturers won't bend over and comply unless there is something in it for them.

It does matter what Fords long term plan is. If the aim to bring in a larger sports sedan to replace the Falcon, then they may see fit to continue with that model. It's only body panels, so if the last Falcon is similar dimensionally it wouldn't matter a great deal rehomolgating in a further 2 years.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 08:58 (Ref:3424861)   #289
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It will be interesting, to see which way they go, in the US of A, the Stang is for Gt racing , in Europe Ford are pushing the noddy box and Mondeo, for Australia, yes it would be nice to see the stang, and then Holden will bring in the Camaro, Chrysler could come back with the Challenger,
I think ford Aust will go with the Mondeo, as it aims at family, where as the stang suits "dinks", try and fit and get a couple of babies and the portable cot, etc etc , no an ideal car for that role .
Old 22 Jun 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3424865)   #290
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Better for the category to allow 2-doors cars than to risk losing a manufacturer.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 09:21 (Ref:3424872)   #291
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Better for the category to allow 2-doors cars than to risk losing a manufacturer.
I don't see Ford thinking this way... There is not enough money in Mustang sales for a racing program IMO and Ford will want to sell cars, not just spend millions for a halo marketing program.

If they continue I would think it will be something they think they can sell.

Unfortunately the Mondeo seems to exist between segments, I am not sure that it is the car.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3424895)   #292
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I don't see Ford thinking this way... There is not enough money in Mustang sales for a racing program IMO and Ford will want to sell cars, not just spend millions for a halo marketing program.

If they continue I would think it will be something they think they can sell.

Unfortunately the Mondeo seems to exist between segments, I am not sure that it is the car.
I think they need a car with a performance image that will help them sell more Fords, and I don't see anything else in their range that can do that.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3424905)   #293
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
I think they need a car with a performance image that will help them sell more Fords, and I don't see anything else in their range that can do that.
Performance model like a Volvo S60 or a Nissan Altima?

Volvo have shown that racing a vehicle based on a normal FWD family car does translate into sales. Ford are better racing their mass market car, not an upper range model.

As i've said before, Ford staying or leaving will not depend on whether they can run a Mustang or not.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 11:50 (Ref:3424907)   #294
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Performance model like a Volvo S60 or a Nissan Altima?

Volvo have shown that racing a vehicle based on a normal FWD family car does translate into sales. Ford are better racing their mass market car, not an upper range model.

As i've said before, Ford staying or leaving will not depend on whether they can run a Mustang or not.
What worked for Volvo doesn't necessarily mean it will work for Ford or holden.........when the Ford company have been involved in racing in Aust they have always had a performance variant of the model they have been racing, eg Falcon GT, XR8 etc.........and I think that's what the Aust motoring public expect from them.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 00:18 (Ref:3425128)   #295
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.....Volvo have shown that racing a vehicle based on a normal FWD family car does translate into sales....
A Polestar S60 (ie. the model the V8SC is actually based on) @ $120k+ could hardly be called a 'normal FWD family car'?
Old 23 Jun 2014, 01:06 (Ref:3425146)   #296
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Childress wants V8 Supercars deal

Penske not the only NASCAR team in the hunt

Quote:
Childress and Richard Gilmore, COO at Earnhardt Childress Racing Engines, then confirmed they have been looking to buy a team or at least establish a technical partnership with an Australian V8 Supercar team.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 06:11 (Ref:3425213)   #297
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
What worked for Volvo doesn't necessarily mean it will work for Ford or holden.........when the Ford company have been involved in racing in Aust they have always had a performance variant of the model they have been racing, eg Falcon GT, XR8 etc.........and I think that's what the Aust motoring public expect from them.
When Moffat & Geoghegan were racing Mustang's Ford were only interested in Falcon's.

When Johnson and Seton were racing Sierra's Ford were more interested in backing six-cylinder Group E production cars.

Ford have a history of putting their mass market car on the race track, not a niche vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick
A Polestar S60 (ie. the model the V8SC is actually based on) @ $120k+ could hardly be called a 'normal FWD family car'? .
Joe-Blow on the hill just see's a Volvo S60 running around, just like he see's a Holden Commodore or a Ford Falcon

Please explain how the V8SC vehicle is based on the Polestar S60 more than it is based on a normal Volvo S60??
Old 23 Jun 2014, 06:20 (Ref:3425214)   #298
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Childress wants V8 Supercars deal

Penske not the only NASCAR team in the hunt
Really interesting that the only direct quotes are around having access to some of the technology that is currently in V8 Supercars. If NASCAR are incorporating those into their series, it makes sense for RCR to get a link up with a V8 team to save them the cost of developing that themselves.

But there is nothing as far as quotes about them wanting to purchase a team. That is all speculation and supposition and what they suggested was flat out denied by Webb anyway.

I can't believe that if RCR were interested in joining V8s that Warburton wouldn't know about it. If there was genuine intent they would absolutely be talking to V8SA and getting the info they needed.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3425253)   #299
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
When Moffat & Geoghegan were racing Mustang's Ford were only interested in Falcon's.

When Johnson and Seton were racing Sierra's Ford were more interested in backing six-cylinder Group E production cars.

Ford have a history of putting their mass market car on the race track, not a niche vehicle.

Joe-Blow on the hill just see's a Volvo S60 running around, just like he see's a Holden Commodore or a Ford Falcon

Please explain how the V8SC vehicle is based on the Polestar S60 more than it is based on a normal Volvo S60??
My thoughts exactly, Ford Australia have a habit of withdrawing from Motorsport and leaving the main competitors and their fans high and dry.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3425290)   #300
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
And the mass market car always had a performance variant (Falcon GT, XR8 etc).........Mondeo (or whatever) won't have that........we don't want another Nissan Altima clone.