Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 29 Mar 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2428087)   #276
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very impressed watching the re-run on Beeb1 that they have the four commentary options on the red button as they did when live (TV/5Live/CBBC/Soundtrack+driver radio feed).

Listening to the CBBC commentary is good fun, with first Stig giving race updates in-between the banter - bit more Radio Le Mans style with banter and a race going on in the background
Old 29 Mar 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2428155)   #277
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh noes! They weren't perfect in their first weekend! Bring back ITV!
Old 29 Mar 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2428163)   #278
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would mean Allen would be back. Don't even joke about that Knowlesy.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2428173)   #279
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the coverage was great having extra features on the red button was good no adverts to ruin the flow of the race . the only thing missing was was the walk adout on the start line but the chain is back
Old 29 Mar 2009, 17:33 (Ref:2428282)   #280
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
the only thing missing was was the walk adout on the start line but the chain is back
You must've missed the grid walk or I must've dreamt it.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 17:35 (Ref:2428285)   #281
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say that I was very impressed for all the same reasons that have been stated above.

What I really liked though was when at the end of the GP, Jake Humphrey invited viewers to press red and watch the "forum". For me, this was a HUGE improvement on ITV as I always felt that they were in an awful hurry to go to an ad break or simply push the F1 coverage away in case anyone missed five mins of Miss Marple.

Well done Auntie!
Old 29 Mar 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2428287)   #282
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The forum bit was very good.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2428296)   #283
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
wannab-aracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All in all, I think the BBC coverage has been excellent, streets ahead of ITV.

Eddie Jordan did seem to be on a point scoring exercise with DC at times but I found it quite funny and certainly a lot more edgey than Mark Blundel.

I can't understand the moanings ITS THE FIRST RACE ! With time I'm sure the coverage will improve, but I'm more than happy with the BBC's effort...... big thumbs up from me
Old 29 Mar 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2428439)   #284
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If you look at the thing as a whole, it was very impressive and streets ahead of anything ITV managed.

Individually, I liked Jake Humphrey, disliked Eddie Jordan and fear that DC felt the same, which cramped his style. If there could be a combination that linked Martin Brundle with DC, I'm sure that would work, but I can't think of one at the moment.

On the commentary side, Brundle was as good as ever, when given the opportunity, but I am disliking Legard quite a lot. If it wasn't for loyalty to Brundle I would definitely go for the Radio 5 option; in fact I shall try it for qualifying next weekend as I thought it was excellent for P1 on Friday.

The red button feature is superb. Almost worth the cost of the licence fee on its own.

Thinking about it, just get rid of Jordan and bring in someone less radio-style/pompous to replace Legard and the job's done.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2428455)   #285
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I still really rate Ben Edwards, but I can only guess that if he took the F1 BBC job, it would mean he couldnt do the BTCC and other stuff he does.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2428458)   #286
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So we're giving Legard one race to prove himself? Jesus wept.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2428467)   #287
paulSenna
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
paulSenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No adverts! Heavenly!
Old 29 Mar 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2428470)   #288
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
So we're giving Legard one race to prove himself?
Even when he was babbling, he didn't annoy me at all. James would make me fill me with all sorts of negative emotions even when he was being relevant and useful.

I'd say he has ticked the first box on the checklist, at least.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2428474)   #289
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The red button service is a real winner. Being able to watch all the practices either live or via re-runs is excellent.
No adverts during the race and the idea of the forum are both big improvements.

As to the people, being someone who has listened to 5liveX I'm used to David Croft, Ian Philips and Maurice Hamilton chatting away on a Friday. Ant can be very informative but does sometimes go on about himself too much for my liking.

On TV, Jake seemed very nervous throughout the GP but should settle down, Legard was way too excited in qually, so much so I resorted to the mute button. He was better during the race and hopefully will start to form a better understanding with the star of the coverage, Brundle.
DC and the two pit reporters were OK, which just leaves Eddie Jordon.

After watching a fair amount of the BBC coverage this GP the only change I would make is to drop Jordan, as he spoiled everything he was involved in.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 03:15 (Ref:2428633)   #290
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
On Saturday I thought what EJ said and such was OK in itself, but the major problem was he wouldn't let DC get two words in. He wanted to hog all the time to himself. I thought he backed off a fair bit on the pre-race (that is, the balance between he and DC was far better). I didn't see the post-race. I was worried about EJ when they announced him, but he was a lot better than I thought he might be. He could do to ease off a bit on endlessly reminding us that he had an F1 team so he understands (we are aware he operated the Jordan team).

I wouldn't say drop EJ yet...it has only been one weekend! He and DC, potentially, could make a good team.

I thought Martin's gridwalk was excellent. They started off OK with ITV, but in the later years ended up being a bit lame since they seemed to be dominated by pointless chatter with celebrities. Sunday's one was thoroughly worthwhile, I thought.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2428746)   #291
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At least with Legard he doesn't ask Brundle all those stupid questions that Allen did.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2428754)   #292
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I wouldn't say drop EJ yet...it has only been one weekend! He and DC, potentially, could make a good team.
Agreed. As an Irishman, I found myself cringing at times while listening to EJ. That said, I cant imagine that anyone posting here would be able to talk in front of millions of people and do a significantly better job.

Give him a chance to gel with DC and the rest of the team and I'm sure he'll settle down and find his groove. If not, then we can lynch him!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2428826)   #293
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh everyone is so picky, first race out of the box your bound to be a little nervous etc. I thought it was a great job all round and i must be in a majority of 1 in enjoying EJ. Yes he was a touch overbearing at times but when they review all of their performances he will see that he needs to just pull back a little to let the other guys in. The big thing with him is that he is edgy and will call it as he seas it, i much prefer that to towing the corporate line which is what the teams want commentators to do. Also i don't need an apology when someone inadvertently utters a minor swear word in his excitement, and if i had been Branson i would have been offended on race day when he was warned about swearing on air before he was able to respond to a question. Off air, a quick word but on air, no way. BBC, it's a big thumbs up from me. Bring on the next one.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2428849)   #294
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
At least with Legard he doesn't ask Brundle all those stupid questions that Allen did.
At least with Legard I didn't want to smash the TV to pieces

On the whole - very impressed with the coverage so far, a big big improvement.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2428855)   #295
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was unable to watch as much as I would have liked but the race day coverage was excellent IMO. EJ is Irish and so one can expect a lot of talk, Jake will be nervous, who wouldn't be in that company and with all the pressure of the return of F1 to its TV spiritual home. DC was far far "betterer" than Mark B

It will improve as they get used to the whole thing, Martin B is the vital link, I just wonder why they did not keep the lady who did the pit interviews, the one with the braclets (name?). She had a very good way of getting comments but her replacement will get them onside in time.

Really excellent overall I thought
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2428874)   #296
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
It will improve as they get used to the whole thing, Martin B is the vital link, I just wonder why they did not keep the lady who did the pit interviews, the one with the braclets (name?). She had a very good way of getting comments but her replacement will get them onside in time.
Louise Goodman.

I liked her a lot, so was disappointed they didn't keep her on. Lee McKenzie did a good job though I thought.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2428941)   #297
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree, her and Ted did a great job of finding all the gossip. Think Legard is still stuck in R5 mode, trying to paint a picture when we don't need it anymore. He'll improve over time and i think the Legard / Brundle combo could turn out a great partnership.

Same goes for EJ, give him time to come to terms with being back in the limelight again and they'll become a good team. Their choice could have been much worse - Paul Stoddart or Eddie Irvine anyone?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2428954)   #298
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
EJ is Irish and so one can expect a lot of talk
What are you implying sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
Their choice could have been much worse - Paul Stoddart or Eddie Irvine anyone?
I'd love to hear a commentary from those two, I wonder if they could last a race distance without having a fight
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:49 (Ref:2428963)   #299
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I liked it!
Unfortunately I didn't have time to watch either qualifying or the race live, so my recordings didn't give the extra Red Button facility, but mayby this makes my comparison with the ITV coverage even as I'm comparing like with like.
In general, I liked the presenters, I was worried that Eddie Jordan would be too much of a 'gob on a stick' (I was going to say 'mouth', but that wasn't strong enough!), but he was relatively controlled and asked some good questions. Hopefully he'll become more controlled and not want to talk over everyone with time.
I like DC, and again thought he asked some good questions, but felt he was a little wooden, and had reverted to his old McLaren 'politically correct' ways instead of his latter day Red Bull. (What was he going to do to Massa if he didn't apologise?) I'm sure he too will improve with practice.
Martin Brundle was superb as usual (OK, I'm a fan), and I'm sure that Jonathan Legard will improve (which he needs to) with more experience on TV.
I liked the 'quality' of the presentation, despite fast-forwarding through a lot of the non-track time action as I was short of time. The only thing I didn't like was the Computer Generated images used for the opening sequence, I think this would be much better using real footage of 2009 F1 cars, maybe this is something the BBC can change now they have some genuine footage?
All in all, I give it 9½/10.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2429013)   #300
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the opening sequence was not made in-house by the Beeb (many of these are outsourced). The brief probably would have called for a design that is innovative/bold, hence the CGIness of it all. It's no big problem in my eyes though - at least we don't have DC with a snake/casino/etc.