Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:24 (Ref:623089)   #276
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
quote:
_____________________________________________________________________ Originally posted by marcus
Yes I guess everyone is a little ticked off at the whole situation and there doesnt seem to be any real solution in the near future , so why not embrace both series for what they are. Ok if you dont like ovals then thats fine , Im not a big fan of oval racing actually but i enjoy what the IRL has to offer.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:38 (Ref:623106)   #277
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you name me a series not run by a businessman/woman or men/women?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:57 (Ref:623113)   #278
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
The reason and Ive said this before that Im not to fussed about unifying the series is that I get 2 quality series right now as it is , yes I could get ONe fantastic series , but do you really think that will happen ???
(1)CART and the IRL are not quality racing series!
(2)We could have one great series...but that's up to the fans.

Quote:
I think the US is strong enough to support both series
You don't no how wrong you are. The only thing the US is supporting is NASCAR.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:00 (Ref:623174)   #279
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
ok it was mentioned above about topics in the IRL forum being mainly to do with "on track" stuff , and for me thats all im interested in and always have been , politics is politics and it tends to bore me no end , I just love racing and the rest of it can do what it likes.
Quote:
If I was financially involved of course I would take a different view on the matter but im not and if a series burns itself out finacially then thats life I cant do anything about it , it simply doesnt interest me at all.
I'm not interested in the political side of the sport either, but I do care what happens to CART. I wish we could just talk about what's happening "on the track," but these days we have to concern ourselves with attendance figures, TV ratings, how many cars are on the grid, sponsors and manufacturers. I will only involve myself in the political side of the sport until CART's future looks more secure. Marcus, your last statement boggles my mind. You said...."if a series burns itself out financially, then thats life, I cant do anything about it, it simply doesn't interest me at all.
How can you call yourself a MotorSports fan after saying that?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:13 (Ref:623189)   #280
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I can always hope, can't I Jay?
The North American United Open Wheel Racing Series run by Mario Andretti, Foyt, Emmo, Gurney and Mears.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:35 (Ref:623210)   #281
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
From champweb.net
We have been informed that the "Fogarty to Coyne" rumor will not happen, at least not for now anyways. Just another rumor that went down the tube...

Last edited by Dov; 6 Jun 2003 at 20:37.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:46 (Ref:623220)   #282
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
USAC?

Depends how you define businessman. Paul Gentillozi fits equally well as a businessman or a racer, and runs the Trans-Am series.

Dave Richards of Prodrive and WRC fame probably counts as a businessman today, but he _was_ a successful co-driver in his day.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 21:40 (Ref:623291)   #283
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Says a lot about USAC, doesn't it?...

Of course there's WoO, who's been in more financial & sponsor trouble over the last couple of months, what with the impounding of their property at a few races by state marshalls due to lack of payment. Not to mention the severe lack of a TV broadcast package, which makes it hard for the team & series sponsors to have their logos seen anywhere OUTSIDE the track.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:56 (Ref:623499)   #284
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well you make some good points Dov , and it seems neither of are going to agree on things , so im not going to argue , lets just agree to disagree on things.

I respect that you feel strongly on the issue and thats your right but I dont wanna get involved in an agrument over silly things so I will gracefully bow out of the debate , stating that yes you are right on several things , but I also feel your being a tad harsh towards the other series , but again thats your right.

so I hope you enjoy the rest of the season and I will see you round the traps somewhere.

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 7 Jun 2003, 04:44 (Ref:623571)   #285
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
if a series burns itself out finacially then thats life I cant do anything about it , it simply doesnt interest me at all.
While this statement you made still puzzles me, I will also agree to disagree. Hopefully the problems facing OW racing in NA today will eventually work themselves out in the near future.

Hope you enjoy the racing season (whats left) and I will see you around the different forums. Gotta go.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 05:13 (Ref:623581)   #286
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Lee, I just meant someone who was adept at business. I'd include Gentillozi. Ideally, all series would be run by by racer-businessmen, but the best racers generally aren't the best businessmen and vice versa. My point was simply that every series has a business side of it that makes it chug along. Whether it be F1, Nascar or Formula Ford.

I really get sick of the business side of things too, although I do have quite an interest in business and am currently working in finance. Still, I'd like to keep the two separate. I understand that one depends on the other, but in this forum at least, I'd hope 95% of the discussion would not be business related.

One thing I notice is a distinct difference between those that watch the series on TV, and those that attend the races. If you just watch it all on TV, it's very easy to say 'Let's just enjoy the racing.' However, for me especially, knowing how much motorsports in Canada would suffer if Cart were not around, I have to be very passionate for one side and not the other. If one series were to go away, it would be a HUGE deal! Thus, I throw all my support behind Cart, and strongly denounce those that would wish it's end, especially the IRL. If the IRL is willing to sit down and discuss a merger, I'm all for it. No doubt it would greatly help both series. But, right now, the IRL's idea of a merger seems to be to kill off Cart, and take 2 or 3 of their venues. No pro open-wheel racing in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal... I can't support that.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Jun 2003, 05:45 (Ref:623590)   #287
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ok Dov , after rereading the statement you quoted above , i think maybe I put it wrong.

but I made the staement but I think my fingers worked before my brain did

basically if a series goes belly up because of management or finances or whatever , there is nothing I can do about it , plain and simple , Im not in a position to help out financially or even attend any races (ok maybe gold coast but it still costs alot of dough)

what i probably should have said was , yes I am concerned about any series being financially viable and continuing in the best way possible , but frankly as a spectators and a fan its not my position to do anything about this nor can i do anything , so i dont concern myself with it.

I dunno if that clears things up for ya or makes them even more hazy , im getting rather confused myself now , but anyway I wish any series all the success they get but NOT at the expense of another series , live side by side in harmony or unite.

simple isnt it , but just how is it to be done ???
Old 7 Jun 2003, 06:32 (Ref:623601)   #288
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I understand what you are saying, Marcus, but I still feel that fans can do more then they think. For example, CART fans are praising Mario big time for saving the Road America race and putting it back on this years schedule. Don't get me wrong, while Mario deserves some of the praise, it's the CART fans who deserve most of it. They phoned, e-mailed and wrote letters to CART, Road America and anybody else who would listen to them. What about the people who attended the CART Town Hall Meetings....they made sure Chris Pook understood how mad and upset they were at Road America being cancelled. CP got the message loud and clear. You just have to stand up and make your voice heard. Goodnight.
Old 7 Jun 2003, 07:04 (Ref:623605)   #289
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
With that I agree, hence I've emailed MIS, Fontana, CART (twice), Fernandez Racing, SpeedVision (re:RA), Imperial Tobacco, and Molson within the last two weeks. Not to mention the countless (pointless) emails I toss off to TSN. I believe that it is the only thing that I can do, and so I might as well do it! I like to think that, in my own little way, I too helped put RA back on the schedule. (Now let's do the same for MIS).
Old 7 Jun 2003, 08:01 (Ref:623639)   #290
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
If the IRL is willing to sit down and discuss a merger, I'm all for it. No doubt it would greatly help both series. But, right now, the IRL's idea of a merger seems to be to kill off Cart
If/When CART goes private, then i'd say the IRL would maybe be more willing to discuss a merger.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 02:20 (Ref:624208)   #291
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macdaddy and Dov have the idea, fans have a great deal of pull, just needs to be exercised. Sitting around jacking off in these forums about how much we would like Michigan back does do sh*it if it's not backed up with action, a email etc to the people like CART, MIS etc.
Like I said, support the Fontana race, it's a superspeedway and if it gets a huge attendance then that makes Michigan more likely. Pook likes street events cause most street events draw heaps, we need to use that to get Michigan by supporting Fontana.

Anyway, hats off to Macdaddy etc for taking action outside of our usual discuss here.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 02:52 (Ref:624217)   #292
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I'm going to make a prediction that Cart will be private within one year. Almost everyone involved wants to see it happen, it probably will.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 05:12 (Ref:624239)   #293
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by The Snout
Macdaddy and Dov have the idea, fans have a great deal of pull, just needs to be exercised. Sitting around jacking off in these forums about how much we would like Michigan back does do sh*it if it's not backed up with action, a email etc to the people like CART, MIS etc.
Exactly! Emails mean A LOT to companies and organisations! I happen to work for a government organisation that people are always complaining they have no control over; what they fail to realise is just how much we listen to the public, especially emails. A mere 10-20 emails receieved would be cause enough for the organisation to rethink a policy or plan that might inovlve millions of dollars. While you'd undoubtably need more for major corporations to reconsider something, don't think for a second they wouldn't if they recevied a significant response. Point is, if you have something to say, be heard! Someone's listening...
Old 10 Jun 2003, 16:26 (Ref:627283)   #294
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
CART CEO Chris Pook has criticised the former management of the Champ Car World Series promoter for embarking on a stock market flotation, asserting that the change led to confused priorities for the company. Pook told SportBusiness International: "When management took the company public, they took their eye off the ball as far as their core business was concerned, and started worrying about share price options and all that stuff.

"Floating the company was fundamentally an error. Had we not gone public then, I think the company today would be fine."

Pook added that he would consider taking the Indianapolis based company private in the future. He said: "If you're doing your job properly you have to look at all the options. You have to do what's best for your shareholders. It's out there. Nothing has been dismissed."
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=23323&s=54
Old 11 Jun 2003, 08:29 (Ref:627920)   #295
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
A thread called "Racing Rumours"...
Let's recap the offseason we endured...

As early as September 2002 rumours surfaced regarding Bernie Ecclestone and CART. But the rumours certainly didn't stop there! We had Ganassi running Schekter in CART with Coors. Shortly followed by talk of a 2-car Emmo team. And then of Mario running a team for Inineon, maybe out of the Newman/Haas stables. All the while, speculation runs rampant as PT is still under gag order. Meanwhile, there's gonna be an F3000 team switching to CART to join Panther Racing, Team St.George, and a new team from Barry Green. In Panther's case, they were swapping drivers with Penske, bringing deFerran back to CART with Pennzoil. Teams from Coyne and Johannson come up in conversation, to join the likes of Morello, Gugelmin, Michael Shank, Dick Simon and Arciero. And a satellite Forsythe Racing team, giving Gerald four cars. Perhaps Villeneuve? Carpentier is said to be losing his ride to make room for PT. Eventually we find out it's actually Tags being left out, but he'll be okay because he's being picked up by Newman/Haas. That is, if they don't sign McNish first. Or Justin Wilson. Or Ricardo Zonta. Now Pollock's name comes up, and likewise JV's resurfaces. Mo Nunn is staying! With two cars! Red Bull is coming, and Brack returns to Rahal to partner Jourdain in CART. New team coming onboard from JAG Racing, and another new team being formed by Andretti's Motorola crew members. Have I mentioned Minardi? Or Bryan Herta driving for Wayne Thomas? How about Wayne Taylor's 2-car team? It's pretty certain by now that JV won't be returning, and so that fourth Forsythe seat is going to Yoong and his Petronas sponsorship. And yes, Philipp Peter and Infineon are going to Patrick Racing. Of course, during all of this, nobody really knows for sure whether or not Newman/Haas is even staying in CART. Brand Motorsport officially announces one-offs in Europe. Likewise Team Arden with Tomas Enge. Giorgio Pantano will pilot the Sunoco car for BC Motorsport. Now it looks like Herta to Patrick, Papis to Rocketsports, and Johnny Herbert to PK Racing. No, wait, that's Mika Salo to PK. All the while, Pook is promising a "major European ownership contingent." Whatever happens happens, at least CART is going to Spa!
Old 12 Jun 2003, 05:09 (Ref:629111)   #296
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great post Macdaddy. It's funny to read that stuff now.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 12:14 (Ref:629343)   #297
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
It was funny to read some of that stuff then...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 06:57 (Ref:630245)   #298
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Posted on Champweb, the Thursday before Laguna...

A press conference with Paul Newman and Champ Car officials is scheduled for 12:15 PT, Saturday. We are unsure as to what the announcement is, but we all can speculate. Sponsor perhaps? Stay tuned...
Old 13 Jun 2003, 07:47 (Ref:630283)   #299
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new sponsor seems most likely, can't think what else it could be. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 07:53 (Ref:630288)   #300
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
The inside scoop: JV has walked away from his ride amid tensions within the team, BAR has signed Bourdais to replace him, and Alex Yoong is bringing Sunoco sponsorship to Newman/Haas.

You heard it here first.