Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Feb 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2389130)   #276
MrTT
Rookie

MrTT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi i know its a bit early to be asking but is there anychance any1 could spare me a guest ticket as im bringing my brother down 17 and dont want him to be on his own thoughout the weekend while im marshalling the gp. Falling this does anyone know if i could just get a extra pass for the campsite and il happly buy a gp ticket.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2389142)   #277
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
You are given a guest ticket anyway, are you asking for an additional one?
Old 5 Feb 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2389143)   #278
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Presumably they wouldn't have known how many people had applied until they had all applied? Not sure how they could have known ahead of that?
That's true, yep. Being as I hadn't done a GP before though I would have known not to send in my application, had that been the criteria.

For those that are going though, let's hope it's a good one.

Old 5 Feb 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2389168)   #279
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Selection criteria can't be easy to determine - and I don't envy the selection committee their task - they're always going to disappoint people when there's too many volunteers.

I have no hesitation in saying that filtering on 'home circuit' is unlikely and a bit disingenuous to suggest.

If they take people who've never done a GP it means someone who's done the GP for 20 years gets to do a 21st - if they take people that have only done a GP before, no new marshals get to play. Which is fairer - I don't know.

At some point I'm sure it got down to a group of competent, experienced GP marshals that is still larger than the available spaces - at which point maybe it was a lottery - pick out the X number of incident marshals needed or maybe they went through individually and picked names.

I know I'd be upset if I hadn't been accepted (clearly I have been) - I marshalled close to 50 days last year, at all levels from club to international level in UK and abroad.

Most days at a circuit in the UK last year was probably Donington.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2389181)   #280
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bottom line for me is I'm disappointed, but I don't have any right to marhsal the GP, so c'est la vie!

What I would be interested in knowing though (and I suspect that nobody knows the answer, so consider it a rhetorical question) is; what do I have to do to increase my chances of being accepted next year?
Old 5 Feb 2009, 17:11 (Ref:2389186)   #281
cowchap
Racer

England
sussex
cowchap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe they just went on attractiveness-i got in
Old 5 Feb 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2389197)   #282
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowchap
maybe they just went on attractiveness-i got in
I think I blew that theory out of the water!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2389208)   #283
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702
What I would be interested in knowing though (and I suspect that nobody knows the answer, so consider it a rhetorical question) is; what do I have to do to increase my chances of being accepted next year?
To be honest, I suspect that no one knows the answer to that one as the selection criteria for 2010 will probably depend on the number of volunteers for that race.

With regards to increasing your chances of being accepted, my advice would be to do the events that you think will be the most enjoyable. That way, if you get selected then its a bonus, if not then at least you will have some good meetings to look back on.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2389259)   #284
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
surprised no one has mentioned Goodwood yet...
...they are over subscribed every year and are always rejecting some applications. People see that as the norm and don't really mention it, but this is probably the 1st time so many extras have volunteered for the GP. Combination of the last one at 'stone (maybe last British one ever...!) the Hamilton factor and the great work so many people have done to recruit so many more marshals.

As Dave said, its supply and demand. For once the supply is outstripping the demand, surely thats a good thing? Either way, anyone looking for something to fill the F1 void will be more than welcome at Oulton where you are guaranteed to get ya hands on a car of some sort
Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2389265)   #285
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even if its just walking round the paddock!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2389269)   #286
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think for some it is not knowing why we were told no and again another question there is possibly no answer for as has been said too many marshals for too few spaces, maybe our turn next year
Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2389272)   #287
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If I were to speculate (and it would be speculation) I think what would work in your favour would be a mix of meetings from clubbies to internationals and a mix of meetings for different clubs. IMO both of these indicate some flexibility and adaptability and these things are crucial for the GP.

In my own discipline (Pits) there are always some experienced marshals who get "stood down" each year as we can only have a limited number (26 ish in total usually) so if existing marshals didn't get stood down we could never take new marshals and that isn't good for the future, the GP should be achievable and not just a case of "dead mans shoes".

I think this year was always going to be "different" as the last Silverstone GP, lots of uncertainty about the future of the GP generally and "Lewismania" as well so I imagine that decisions had to be made this year that were much more difficult that in previous years.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2389294)   #288
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I spoke to the MSL they said there were 100 more applicants for incident marshals than places so they had to set criteria for elimination. There were also fewer places available compared to last year - so this squeezed the number of possibles to start with.

The first criteria was if you had not done it before you would not be selected. Then I guess they had some others (unknown) to reduce the number further.

In future years I would suggest everyone who wants to go volunteers and if there are less volunteers you stand a better chance - enough people did it their "first" time once so it's not to say that won't happen again.

Circumstances this year meant people were bound to lose out.

And yes I'm on the scrounge for a spare if anyone has one - we promised Ian's brother he could go this year.............pretty please anyone!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2389306)   #289
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2009 - last one at Silverstone
2010 - first one at Donington?

If people are doing it for the milestones then I'd guess there'll be the same problem next year too.

But as has been said, surely its only a good thing that we have so many marshals available, and hopefully the other events running on that weekend wont be struggling for once
Old 5 Feb 2009, 20:49 (Ref:2389327)   #290
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If I were to speculate (and it would be speculation) I think what would work in your favour would be a mix of meetings from clubbies to internationals and a mix of meetings for different clubs. IMO both of these indicate some flexibility and adaptability and these things are crucial for the GP.
Last season, I did 750MC, BTCC, AMOC, WSR, MGCC, F3/GT, BARC, Trucks, Ginetta + others I'm sure. I did incident, flagging, pit, assembly, and startline, at 8 different circuits. I shudder to think what I'd need to do to prove myself more flexible.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2389360)   #291
cowchap
Racer

England
sussex
cowchap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pebbles
2009 - last one at Silverstone
2010 - first one at Donington?

If people are doing it for the milestones then I'd guess there'll be the same problem next year too.

But as has been said, surely its only a good thing that we have so many marshals available, and hopefully the other events running on that weekend wont be struggling for once
When the move was announced at last years race a lot of people said they wouldnt do it at Donnington-though that could well have been a heat of the moment reaction
Old 5 Feb 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2389371)   #292
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Last season, I did 750MC, BTCC, AMOC, WSR, MGCC, F3/GT, BARC, Trucks, Ginetta + others I'm sure. I did incident, flagging, pit, assembly, and startline, at 8 different circuits. I shudder to think what I'd need to do to prove myself more flexible.
Guinness, i recall you saying it was your first season this year, i think that was probably a reason, its not a matter of proving yourself, i think they will look at your time in the role not the number of days as days on the bank doesnt automatically mean experience in incident situations but thats a completely different thread!!!!

I know that they scottish guys with animal hats will not be there this year too and they have been an institution there for a while, I think it must have been tough for the panel to make the decisions, i wouldnt of liked their job this year!!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 22:11 (Ref:2389392)   #293
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
what do I have to do to increase my chances of being accepted next year?
Move to Dubai or Bahrain?
Old 5 Feb 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2389393)   #294
speedy jon
Racer

Wales
pencoed
speedy jon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshalGirl
I have been advised that if you have never done a GP your application for incident was dismissed immediately
if this is the case how do you get to do a gp if your application is rejected for not having done a gp.

im a little disapointed having not been excepted this yr but theres alway next yr and i can understand if there is too many applications there will be people who are rejected.
just got to find a event to do instead now.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2389401)   #295
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy jon
if this is the case how do you get to do a gp if your application is rejected for not having done a gp.
I suspect that only relates to the criteria used this year. I guess the selection process changes depending on the number of marshals that volunteer and the number allowed by the FIA. Its an unfortunate situation to have, although the postive in it is that marshal numbers do seem to be on the increase.

Last edited by kipper; 5 Feb 2009 at 22:19.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2389403)   #296
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I had marshalled for over 6 years before I was accepted to officiate at the GP. Of course back then there were a lot more marshals to choose from. With all the sterling work done by Team Wilson and others to recruit new marshals it was eventually going to create the situation we had those many years ago, more marshals than available places. It's sad for those who have been turned down but keep applying and I am sure you will eventually succeed,
Old 6 Feb 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2389571)   #297
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Given that I don't know who you are I'm clearly not discussing "your" application.

I was trying to answer your question generally about how one makes oneself look more attractive for selection.

As it appears that because of excess numbers for incident this year was restricted to those that had done a GP before then you (personally) presumably didn't get over that hurdle so just keep doing what you enjoy and ensure a mix of meetings and clubs.

I wonder what next year will bring (assuming a GP?) will there be lots of marshals to do the first Donny GP or lots who will regard this year as an end of an era for them and not bother to make the change?

Last edited by Piglet; 6 Feb 2009 at 08:06.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2389614)   #298
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli
I know that the scottish guys with animal hats will not be there this year
None of the Knockhill guys! That's a real shame because they are a great bunch and a terrific laugh. The fact that they all travel so far proves their dedication.

I'll just have to come up to see you at BTCC instead.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2389627)   #299
gc1arke
Rookie

Scotland
gc1arke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns
None of the Knockhill guys! That's a real shame because they are a great bunch and a terrific laugh. The fact that they all travel so far proves their dedication.

I'll just have to come up to see you at BTCC instead.
Some of the Scottish guys have made it in - just don't know the exact numbers! Don't let that stop you coming up for the BTCC though
Old 6 Feb 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2389641)   #300
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli
Guinness, i recall you saying it was your first season this year, i think that was probably a reason, its not a matter of proving yourself,
Quote:
Given that I don't know who you are I'm clearly not discussing "your" application.
Oops, this is getting out of hand. I was kidding - like I already said, "I'm disappointed, but c'est la vie"