Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Closed Thread

Old 21 Feb 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2134226)   #276
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is inevitable that we can't fit everything we want into the first year and maybe not the second year. Short term pain (which ist isn't really, let's be honest) for long term gain and all that.

I see Kalkhoven and George are meeting up today to finalise things with the announcement tomorrow.

autosport speculate that they could run the Motegi and Long beach events the same day, but that both races would be run with the Indycar points system. Quite how that would be worked I don't know.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2134254)   #277
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over, Gang...

Read this interview with Paul Tracy

http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/OtherS...64010-sun.html

The Indy star also is reporting that the IRL and Cahmp car are supposed to sit down today (provided Kalkhoven arrives in Indy from London at a decent hour) to continue the talks to finalize the deal....

Like I said in my column late yesterday....I'll wait until all of the principal players are on the same podium to say "It's Over" before I'll believe it....

We've had talks come close in the past, only to have someone pull the rug out at the last minute to kill the deal.

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 21 Feb 2008 at 15:21.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Feb 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2134563)   #278
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin Wilson, Will Power and Graham Rahal suddenly appeared here, http://www.indycar.com/stats/drivers-a-to-z.php
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2134587)   #279
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is Test Transponder whoever that is.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2134590)   #280
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a Yank.....what do his stats say?
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2134599)   #281
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well good thing the IRL is being positive of the changes and including everyone...
this is somewhere between waiting for Xmas morning and waiting to be called into the dentist chair. Oi!
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:29 (Ref:2134606)   #282
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like it really is happening then! Lets hope the rumor about the announcement tommorow is true...

Also, Test Transponder is an awesome name.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2134629)   #283
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i said it before

until it's officially announced

i'm not believing anything, i'm looking forward to Homestead

whether it's just the IRL or if it's the merged series
Old 22 Feb 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2134637)   #284
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This latest LB / Motegi is a bit troublesome though.

If they HAVE to, run both for Indycar equipment. Allowing CC teams to earn some extra points and some extra $$$

Last edited by D.R.T.; 22 Feb 2008 at 00:38.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 00:48 (Ref:2134642)   #285
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'd settle initially for it happening. The details can work themselves out, rather than worrying too much about them until something actually happens.

It can't actually be about to happen, can it?
Old 22 Feb 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2134650)   #286
lnin0
Rookie

lnin0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the best thing would be they come out and announce a merger BUT that it will be in 2009. Then we know it is all a done deal way in advance and everyone can start to work on the cars, schedules and all that for 2009 while fulfilling all the contractual obligations they have this year with networks, cities, tracks, drivers, sponser etc.

No bridges are burned that way. During the 2008 season you could see some cross racing going on. Off weeks for IRL and some teams could get some loaners and run CCWS races. Same for the CCWS guys showing up at some off week IRL races and of course everyone getting together for the 500.

Then next year you come out swinging with everything correct - not this half a wreck they want to do this year that will create as many new bumps as it solves. Yeah, it means one more year of limping along but at least we all know the cast will be coming off.

Last edited by lnin0; 22 Feb 2008 at 01:07.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 02:02 (Ref:2134677)   #287
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
I think the best thing would be they come out and announce a merger BUT that it will be in 2009. Then we know it is all a done deal way in advance and everyone can start to work on the cars, schedules and all that for 2009 while fulfilling all the contractual obligations they have this year with networks, cities, tracks, drivers, sponser etc.

No bridges are burned that way. During the 2008 season you could see some cross racing going on. Off weeks for IRL and some teams could get some loaners and run CCWS races. Same for the CCWS guys showing up at some off week IRL races and of course everyone getting together for the 500.

Then next year you come out swinging with everything correct - not this half a wreck they want to do this year that will create as many new bumps as it solves. Yeah, it means one more year of limping along but at least we all know the cast will be coming off.
I think that the truth may be that without the merger, CCWS will not be able to fulfill those contracts as it is. In reality, if there is no merger, CCWS may just have to fold, and then all the races are gone, and a few teams still make the switch. It appears as if it will happen one way or the other.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 03:14 (Ref:2134699)   #288
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh
Justin Wilson, Will Power and Graham Rahal suddenly appeared here, http://www.indycar.com/stats/drivers-a-to-z.php
What once was there has gone! Someone realised the mistake!
Old 22 Feb 2008, 07:22 (Ref:2134755)   #289
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
At this stage, waiting one year would deprive 2008 of any interest
Quote:
Why should IRL teams find it interesting to participate to a dying series? Only extra costs

Quote:
Respect your views but I don't agree: I'd rather see a bit of mess in an unified series since right now
Old 22 Feb 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2134894)   #290
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
What once was there has gone! Someone realised the mistake!
Test Transponder is still there.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2134922)   #291
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to italiaracing.net:

http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=18082&cat=3

IRL and CC have released a joint statement
Old 22 Feb 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2135010)   #292
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep...saw it on Indy TV last night.....progress was made but still working on it.....
Old 22 Feb 2008, 14:46 (Ref:2135058)   #293
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if the merge goes through does it mean we all have to become friends?
Old 22 Feb 2008, 14:55 (Ref:2135071)   #294
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't expect a formal announcement before Monday.

The IRL and CCWS will not want to share the spotlight with other big stories, and there are two that will occur in Indy today:

1. Indiana University is expected to fire their basketball coach over NCAA violations he allegedly committed, and

2. Presidential candidate John McCain is coming to the city to host a "Town Hall Meeting" downtown.

One event happens in the late morning and the other is expected sometime this afternoon.

Old 22 Feb 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2135073)   #295
indycool
Veteran

Agree, Tim.....along with that, they still apparently hafta agree on a couple things, then the lawyers gotta figure out what "is" is, etc.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2135135)   #296
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
2. Presidential candidate John McCain is coming to the city to host a "Town Hall Meeting" downtown.
So what's his role in the merger story then?
Old 22 Feb 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2135188)   #297
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The Indy Star is reporting that Kalkhoven has left Indianapolis to go to his home in Oakland...and a deal has not been finalized.

IRL and CCWS people continue to work on details that still need to be resolved...but there is concern that time is growing ever shorter as the days pass.

Link:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1052/SPORTS01

Like I've said in my column this week:

"It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over"

Old 22 Feb 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2135204)   #298
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to the G-Force/Panoz IRL chassis? They always looked better than the Dallara.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2135209)   #299
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
I don't expect a formal announcement before Monday.

The IRL and CCWS will not want to share the spotlight with other big stories, and there are two that will occur in Indy today:

1. Indiana University is expected to fire their basketball coach over NCAA violations he allegedly committed, and

One event happens in the late morning and the other is expected sometime this afternoon.
Neither series has shown this kind of commercial common-sense in recent years, so delaying any announcement would be a good sign. Realistically, it's more likely that nothing is finalised yet.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2135288)   #300
SPRacer
Racer

United States
St. Petersburg, FL
SPRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indycar.com headline:

DONE DEAL

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=10557
Closed Thread