Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 31 Jan 2011, 11:01 (Ref:2823132)   #276
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
There are about 6 or 7 decent drivers with the rest being journeymen?
where would you put van der garde and valsecchi in that?

there's definitely quite a few who probably could have invested the couple of million euros a bit better but that's gp2 for you i guess
Old 31 Jan 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2823146)   #277
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
where would you put van der garde and valsecchi in that?

there's definitely quite a few who probably could have invested the couple of million euros a bit better but that's gp2 for you i guess
Ha ha good question....

Davide must surely now be journeyman. If he carries on the way he is he'll easily beat Pantano and Apicella's most starts at F3000/GP2 level (if he hasn't already?).

I would proabably suggest (thinking you might mirror most of the names I put forward!) Bianchi, Gutierrez, Bird, Ericsson, Pic, Grosjean, Giedo and Vietoris as the guys with the most ability but Clos could be if he was more consistent?
Old 31 Jan 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2823175)   #278
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i can't work clos out either. racing engineering don't sign drivers who they don't have complete faith in, so let's hope everything comes together this year.

then again, where exactly did the hype come from? was it from karting?

i'm wondering who out of gonzalez and coletti is going to crash the most
Old 31 Jan 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2823205)   #279
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Team Lotus online launch today and still no confirmation of the Team Air Asia drivers... (presumed to be Valsecchi and Razia)... guess contracts for the GP2 drivers and F1 test drivers haven't been finalised yet?
Old 31 Jan 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2823206)   #280
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
noticed there was no actual official mention of any third drivers?
Old 31 Jan 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2823241)   #281
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Here you go

Arden - Josef Kral / Jolyon Palmer
Lotus/ART - Jules Bianchi / Esteban Gutierrez
Barwa Addax - Giedo van der Garde / Charles Pic
Carlin - Max Chilton / Mikhail Aleshin
DAMS - Romain Grosjean / Pal Varhaug
iSport - Sam Bird / Marcus Ericsson
ORT - Antonio Felix da Costa? / ?
Racing Engineering - Dani Clos / Christian Vietoris (Main) & Nathanael Berthon (Asia)
Rapax - Fabio Leimer / Julian Leal (Asia - possibly Main)
Scuderia Coloni - Michael Herck / James Jakes
Super Nova - Fairuz Fauzy / Johnny Cecotto Jr (Asia - possibly Main?)
Team Air Asia - Davide Valsecchi? / Luiz Razia?
Trident - Rodolfo Gonzalez / Stefano Coletti
Well, at least I can still hold out hope for Rossi, as he raced for ORT in GP2 Asia last yea, IIRC.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2823251)   #282
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
italiaracing say that andrea caldarelli is up to something with ocean out in abu dhabi...

http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=30243&cat=4
Old 31 Jan 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2823260)   #283
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
italiaracing say that andrea caldarelli is up to something with ocean out in abu dhabi...

http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=30243&cat=4
Why do you hate me, bella?
Old 31 Jan 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2823281)   #284
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree, I think this is actually an extremely competitve field for GP2. It is hard to really point out the weak links in the field, Leal and maybe Varhaug. Even they have both won races in pretty competitve series. Of all the others they either have relatively high pedigree or a lot of experience. I would say this is a season which has a huge amount of depth.
Still surprising that there is no news on the Ocean drivers, Caldarelli showed good potential in the tests so it would be good to see him move up.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2823290)   #285
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Why do you hate me, bella?
it's your flag, i can't help but mock anyone that bears it

seriously though, i hope alex gets a quality seat in whatever series. he's top notch, it's about time there was a top american driver in europe.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2823292)   #286
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_fan View Post
I disagree, I think this is actually an extremely competitve field for GP2. It is hard to really point out the weak links in the field, Leal and maybe Varhaug. Even they have both won races in pretty competitve series. Of all the others they either have relatively high pedigree or a lot of experience. I would say this is a season which has a huge amount of depth.
Still surprising that there is no news on the Ocean drivers, Caldarelli showed good potential in the tests so it would be good to see him move up.
That's a good post formula_fan, promoting counter discussion.

Interesting that you feel there aren't really many 'weak links' and that there is indeed depth. It's a welcome positive outlook!

There are a number of drivers on that provisional list who have won things but i'm not necessarily sure that automatically means they've got pedigree. Perhaps you can mention a couple of the other drivers who you feel have real ability?

It does appear that the top drivers are already experienced in these cars (except Gutierrez) but then all of them shone in other series.

In comparison to previous years, whilst 2007 was perhaps a lower quailty season overall, this one does on paper appear to be lacking quality certainly in comparison the the possible FR 3.5 entry that is taking shape?
Old 31 Jan 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2823317)   #287
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i wonder how much the treasured "winning things" is overrated though. i mean, 2 years ago you stood little chance of winning the f3 euroseries unless you had a number one or number two art/asm drive. in british f3 you need the main carlin drive that the red bull boys usually get. in fr3.5 you need to win the lottery. in f2, obviously you have to be good, but you need to have the backing to move on which considering you were in f2 in the first place says you might not have it in the first place. do the other f3 championships count in the minds of... whoever is wearing the judgement hat at that point as being something that it's important to win?

where does that weigh up against reputation?
Old 31 Jan 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2823403)   #288
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think any other F3 championships in Europe count for a great deal. The All-Japan Series is strong at the very top and drivers coming over here from there will usually be worth having. In some cases, like Marcus Ericsson, they're coming back here from over there. I hope that's clear.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2823412)   #289
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that success doesn't necessarily mean pedigree... but in almost all of these cases it means they have some talent. You can't win an international championship these days by luck alone. I agree with your pick of 10 but also what about Aleshin (admittedly quite experienced) and someone like Leimer?

These are all drivers who I think have real ability, but my point is more about strength in depth. People like Kral, Coletti, Herck, Razia, Valsecchi etc... will all be quick even if it is because they have experience rather than natural talent.

Regarding the FR 3.5 entry, taking away the two red bull drivers the field is not bad for a series on that level, but it isn't on a par with GP2. I think the majority of the GP2 grid would be winning races in FR3.5 if they were in a team capable of doing so.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2823525)   #290
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Updated driver list:

Arden - Josef Kral / Jolyon Palmer
Lotus/ART - Jules Bianchi / Esteban Gutierrez
Barwa Addax - Giedo van der Garde / Charles Pic
Carlin - Max Chilton / Mikhail Aleshin
DAMS - Romain Grosjean / Pal Varhaug
iSport - Sam Bird / Marcus Ericsson
ORT - Andrea Caldarelli (Asia) / Oliver Turvey? Antonio Felix da Costa?
Racing Engineering - Dani Clos / Christian Vietoris (Main) & Nathanael Berthon (Asia)
Rapax - Fabio Leimer / Julian Leal (Asia - possibly Main)
Scuderia Coloni - Michael Herck / James Jakes
Super Nova - Fairuz Fauzy / Johnny Cecotto Jr (Asia - possibly Main?)
Team Air Asia - Davide Valsecchi? / Luiz Razia?
Trident - Rodolfo Gonzalez / Stefano Coletti
Old 1 Feb 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2823646)   #291
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Caldarelli and Turvey for Ocean in the Asia series. That's not a bad line up at all!
Razia also confirmed at Air Asia. Just waiting on Valsecchi I guess.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2825719)   #292
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
team airasia have confirmed what we really knew already:

http://tentenths.com/news/showentry.php?e=1568
Old 4 Feb 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2825753)   #293
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
What was Air Asia team waiting for?
Old 4 Feb 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2825837)   #294
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
What was Air Asia team waiting for?
I would imagine the deals weren't 100% before the test. It's a bit of a risk for a driver of Valsecchi's GP2 experience to comit to a brand new team, it could make him look a bit of a fool. I would guess the test was to make sure everybody was happy before any signatures...
Old 4 Feb 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2825945)   #295
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Updated driver list:

Arden
-Josef Kral
-Jolyon Palmer

Lotus/ART
-Jules Bianchi
-Esteban Gutierrez

Barwa Addax
-Giedo van der Garde
-Charles Pic

Carlin
-Max Chilton
-Mikhail Aleshin

DAMS
-Romain Grosjean
-Pal Varhaug

iSport
-Sam Bird
-Marcus Ericsson

-Andrea Caldarelli (Asia)

Racing Engineering
-Dani Clos
-Christian Vietoris (Main) / Nathanael Berthon (Asia)

Rapax
-Fabio Leimer
-Julian Leal (Asia - possibly Main) / Davide Rigon? (possibly Main)

Scuderia Coloni
-Michael Herck
-James Jakes

Super Nova
-Fairuz Fauzy
-Johnny Cecotto Jr (Asia - possibly Main?)

Team Air Asia
-Davide Valsecchi
-Luiz Razia

Trident
-Rodolfo Gonzalez
-Stefano Coletti
Old 5 Feb 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2826113)   #296
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did the Rigon to Rapax rumour come from? Sounds like a very good match up!
Old 5 Feb 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2826124)   #297
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Where did the Rigon to Rapax rumour come from? Sounds like a very good match up!
This week's Autosport reported that he's "among the drivers scrambling to secure a deal" with them for the main series. Would like to see him in a top GP2 seat.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2826281)   #298
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rumour has it that Guerrieri received an offer to do GP2, but it wasn't cleared where. Rapax? SuperNova? Ocean?
Old 10 Feb 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2829136)   #299
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a bit cross for next weeks GP2 Asia times on Euro sport. 11.00pm on next Friday and 9.45pm for the next Saturday race.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2829338)   #300
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its live on British Eurosport tomorrow

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant