Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 18 Jul 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3279100)   #276
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lillestrom Endurance Circuit

A 6.63mi Endurance Circuit based on the banks of the River Nitelva, near the city of Lillestrom, Norway. It is Anti-clockwise and has no elevation. It uses parts of public road as well as two public bridges to cross the railway. These sections have been widened. It also has a shorter, permanent 2.61mi Grand Prix track which shares the same pit facilities as the Endurance Track.
Attached Thumbnails
Lillestrom 1.jpg   Lillestrom 2.jpg  
Old 18 Jul 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3279166)   #277
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
A 6.63mi Endurance Circuit based on the banks of the River Nitelva, near the city of Lillestrom, Norway. It is Anti-clockwise and has no elevation. It uses parts of public road as well as two public bridges to cross the railway. These sections have been widened. It also has a shorter, permanent 2.61mi Grand Prix track which shares the same pit facilities as the Endurance Track.
Oh I absolutely LOVE IT!! It's an incredible feat, really. The way that the course follows the undulations of the river is amazing. Great, great work - it looks like a proper endurance racing circuit with lots of long, sweeping corners, fast straights, and a few tight corners as well. You can really open up the throttle on the bottom part of the track. Bio needs to do a video of this one!
Old 18 Jul 2013, 19:04 (Ref:3279172)   #278
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Bio needs to do a video of this one!
Haha, no real chance of that now Just finished my latest project (the results which you could see in my thread) - or, at least brought it to the roughly 95% ready state I seldom go north of) and that always means a one or two month break when I don't want to see BTB

So, it's not about the track which is just fine (though this 6.6 mile track would mean roughly about twice as big an area than "normally"), it's about the timing

bio
Old 25 Jul 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3281527)   #279
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Black Forest Raceway

Grade 1 track based somewhere in southern Germany. All layouts clockwise. No Elevation.

Probably the only one i'll do like this as the trees nearly crashed my computer.
Attached Thumbnails
250713 1.jpg   250713 2.jpg   250713 3.jpg  

250713 4.jpg   250713 5.jpg   250713 plan.jpg  

Old 25 Jul 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3281638)   #280
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OMG the Trees! They would definitely crash my computer!

Nice technical sector 1, the only things I would change:

Pinch the corner at the end of the long straight (far right) to create a better overtaking opportunity, and possibly use that international kink all the time instead of the looong right hander.

Its clear that it was a design decision to go with the long sweeping corners and maybe what I just said goes against that.

I really like the national circuit, can't really put my finger on why, and the trees really add to the model.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 23:30 (Ref:3281666)   #281
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Just pointing out, but isn't it anti-clockwise? It looks that way from the run-offs.

I like it. I'd maybe do something differently in that sequence of corners to the right of the pits, but I like that there's something going on there.

The trees are nice, but I can certainly understand how much of a pain that could be to include them.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 01:27 (Ref:3281683)   #282
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

TheNotSoHidden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow. Seriously,one of the best tracks I've ever seen you do,having previously browsed this thread. That track is brilliant.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 03:00 (Ref:3281693)   #283
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just looked through the entire thread and all I have to say is... Bernie? Tilke? FIA? You're doing it wrong. Just hire a certain Tortoise from Ten Tenths and he'll solve modern F1 circuits! Awesome work!

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 28 Jul 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3283052)   #284
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Going to try and make them more detailed from now on so in this one I have included marshall's posts and when I find ways of doing so easily i'll include things like kerbs, tyre barriers, marker boards maybe even grid slots and markings on the track. It's all in an effort to help my portfolio as I study Architecture whilst making better tracks for you guys.

All layouts clockwise, No elevation, Distances in diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
270713 1.jpg   270713 2.jpg   270713 3.jpg  

270713 plan.jpg  
Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3283486)   #285
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNotSoHidden View Post
Wow. Seriously,one of the best tracks I've ever seen you do,having previously browsed this thread. That track is brilliant.
I agree. This is my favourite of your tracks so far. The flow is amazing. I feel it's worth being turned into a racesim track.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 18:21 (Ref:3285433)   #286
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Tsukuba Circuit Upgrade

A Grade 2 upgrade of Tsukuba Circuit in Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan. The circuit has been completely redesigned from Turn 5 to Turn 12, using land that the short oval and karting track used to occupy. The pit garages and paddock have been moved to before the Old T12, allowing more space and a longer, wider pit lane. The Dunlop bridge which used to be over the exit of T7 is now on the new straight after the chicane. The track has also been widened to 11.5m and the track length is 1.99mi.
Attached Thumbnails
Tsukuba 1.jpg   Tsukuba map.jpg   Tsukuba2.jpg  

TsukubaComparasion.jpg  
Old 4 Aug 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3285662)   #287
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

TheNotSoHidden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This track looks like a suitable upgrade of Tsukuba,but I can't help but feel that there is something...not right. It looks good,I like the fast chicane where the new track leaves the old layout and the relocation of the pitlane,but there's something about that last sector after the first hairpin of the new layout that just doesn't look right.

Still,a good use of whatever land you had.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 12:57 (Ref:3285673)   #288
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
I think the problem is T9, 10 and 11. This is one of the hardest locations i've given myself and trying to balance the paddock space, the track length and run-off, and keeping it in the limited space was really hard. I think if I replace 9,10 and 11 with a simple left-right might be better or maybe continue the hairpin and have a straight that joins at T10 and make T11 less sharp, hopefully keeping the length of the track.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3286234)   #289
olivk
Rookie

Switzerland
Switzerland
olivk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While your upgrade proposal would be a nice circuit, i too don't feel at ease with it and for following reason : The identity of Tsukuba IMO are those long fast curves, and destroying the long left curve after current T5 would be a shame. Also the section between T7 and T10 in your proposal does not really correspond to Tsukuba identity.

Hereafter is a... "sketch" of how i could imagine this upgrade, trying to keep the current identity of the track (turn numbers refer to my sketch). I'm not too happy with the T1-T2 section and the new T4/current T3 would become even trickier than it is now but it could be fun

I kept your "S" (new T10 - T11) but replaced T11 with an increasing radius rather than decreasing to throw the cars into the slightly shortened back straight with some initial speed because the last wide right-turn needs the cars to come with the highest speed possible.

New T9 got loosed a bit compared to your version.

Also i think the current pit straight has to remain the pit straight but i might be a bit sentimental...

Now again i think your proposal can make for great racing, but i regret the loss of Tsukuba's identity. Hope you'll forginve me
Attached Thumbnails
tsukuba upgrade.jpg  
Old 5 Aug 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3286256)   #290
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
To me, Tsukuba is a tight, technical track that offers the driver a huge challenge for its short length. When I was designing my upgrade, I thought T6 was the least challenging corner on the track. It also allowed me to use the back straight for new pit facilities as the current ones are far too small. (You can see the current pit lane in Streetview and it is just over 2 car widths.) This is what stopped me from extending the current pit straight and also as much as I love your T3-4-5 sequence, there wouldn't be enough space for extra run-off at T5. I'm glad we agree on my 'S' bends at T10 and 11.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3286259)   #291
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, olivk, that's one wicked fast track!

But I like it. I had nothing against Tortoise's original layout to begin with, but that's also a great layout.

bio
Old 9 Aug 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3287647)   #292
moeom
Rookie

moeom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Tsukuba's tight, technical identity. And both versions have kept both in somehow and by adding that extra speed that you would sometimes miss. I drive it most on Gran Tourismo 4 and usually the combinations turn 7-8-9-10 was one of the most exciting and hard to handle in my opinion. While on the other hand, the Turn 1 to 6 combination is just a thrill to drive through. The way i see it, it all depends on which element you would like to keep on the race track. The thrilling right of the first few corners? Or the technical, my POV, of the Turn 7 to 10 combo.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3288363)   #293
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Hawaii Motor Speedway

A oval and road course built near Kalaeloa Airport, on the south coast of Oahu. It features a 1.40mi oval capable of hosting NASCAR Sprint Cup and Indycar. It also features a Grade 2 road course capable of hosting ALMS, Grand-Am and V8 Supercars. All layouts Anti-clockwise. No Elevation. Lengths in diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Hawaii Oval1.jpg   Hawaii Oval2.jpg   Hawaii Oval3.jpg  

Hawaii Oval Site.jpg   Hawaii Oval Map4.jpg  
Old 14 Aug 2013, 04:43 (Ref:3289529)   #294
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
To me, Tsukuba is a tight, technical track that offers the driver a huge challenge for its short length. When I was designing my upgrade, I thought T6 was the least challenging corner on the track. It also allowed me to use the back straight for new pit facilities as the current ones are far too small. (You can see the current pit lane in Streetview and it is just over 2 car widths.) This is what stopped me from extending the current pit straight and also as much as I love your T3-4-5 sequence, there wouldn't be enough space for extra run-off at T5. I'm glad we agree on my 'S' bends at T10 and 11.
I love what you have done with this track, taking a dated facility and turning it into something that would be an excellent international circuit for most series outside of F1 from anywhere in the world.

(F1 could run there but the track may not make Grade 1 but then Bernie ran a Pacific GP at Aida so anything will do really.....)

Its a nice effort. Very nice.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3292854)   #295
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Finland International Circuit

A Grade 1 Circuit built in the forests of Finland. Both layouts Clockwise. No Elevation. Grand Prix - 4.66mi Short - 1.36mi +Chicane +0.02mi
Attached Thumbnails
Finland 1.jpg   Finland 2.jpg   Finland 3.jpg  

Old 31 Aug 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3296691)   #296
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do I remember it correctly that Tsukuba received quite a lot of earthquake damage back in 2011? What is the situation there now?
Old 31 Aug 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3296699)   #297
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
A quick google search shows that Tsukuba Circuit had little to no damage caused by the earthquake. The town of Tsukuba was more heavily hit. The circuit you might have been thinking of was Ebisu Circuit, which had most of its pit and paddock completely destroyed.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3296765)   #298
the_calculator
Rookie

Netherlands
the_calculator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Finland International Circuit
A Grade 1 Circuit built in the forests of Finland. Both layouts Clockwise. No Elevation. Grand Prix - 4.66mi Short - 1.36mi +Chicane +0.02mi
Wow what a great track!

Just wondering could you give the corner radius of, the large, turn 5.
Is it a corner at all, or just a, full throttle, curved straight?

I don't get the (optional?) chicane near the end of the lap.
What purpose does it serve?

Anyway, I like it very much.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3296823)   #299
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Turn 5's radius is 523.30m with a curve length of 637.71m. I think it wouldn't be flat out as there is a 730m straight before it meaning almost all cars would be at there top speed. The only corner I can think of that I can compare it to is Curva Grande at Monza, but cars are still accelerating through it because of the chicane, and a unchicaned run hasn't be done in years.

The optional chicane is there to slow the cars down after the S bends before and to allow a longer lap on both courses. It would primarily be used for bike racing and track days.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3297335)   #300
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Circuit de Cote d'Azur

A Grade 1 circuit based somewhere near the town of Manosque in south-east France. The track features a 3.76mi Grand Prix circuit and a 1.84mi National track. Both circuits Anticlockwise. Max. elevation 35m
Attached Thumbnails
cotedazur 1.jpg   cotedazur 2.jpg   cotedazur 3.jpg  

cotedazur 4.jpg   cotedazur 5.jpg