Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Mar 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3213309)   #276
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Casey Stoner should just come in and save the team (buy outright or significant partnership), buy himself a drive and win some four-wheeled motorsport fans. Why not, he would have tens of millions in the bank and is clearly a fan of the series.
What makes you think Dick is any more likely to relinquish control to Casey Stoner rather than Charlie or Maurie Pickering?

Dick needs a successful businessperson, not another iconic sports person, no matter how deep their pockets are...
Old 2 Mar 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3213310)   #277
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
What makes you think Dick is any more likely to relinquish control to Casey Stoner rather than Charlie or Maurie Pickering?

Dick needs a successful businessperson, not another iconic sports person, no matter how deep their pockets are...
It's shame Stevie J didn't stand down as a driver when Charlie was there (if that's what the stoush was about), he's stood down now anyway.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3213357)   #278
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Stick With Us" - Dick Johnson
Old 2 Mar 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3213358)   #279
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Is the date wrong on that article, or did i read Jim Beam?
Old 3 Mar 2013, 00:35 (Ref:3213418)   #280
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Sounds like Wilson Security & Advam are not continuing past Adelaide...

Will we see Mr Johnson on the teev today, on a hunt for income?
Old 3 Mar 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3213420)   #281
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Almost on queue...

Old 3 Mar 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3213425)   #282
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

Dick needs to either let go or watch the whole thing implode in front of him. Normal sponsorship isn't going to help the team's situation. I suspect they need a $5+mm cash injection PLUS ongoing expense support. Financial stability will be key to hiring and retaining the best people and getting back up the front.

If you were Dick would you rather be "in control" and fumbling around the back or implode completely, or relinquish control, enjoy your retirement, and watch the team you've built get back up the front again? I know what I would choose, but then again I'm not a stubborn Queenslander.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 07:54 (Ref:3213558)   #283
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick's race team is a BUSINESS, why would anyone invest in a failing business?

This is all hearts and minds..... poor Dick this and Poor Dick that, the reality is he has not managed his business well over the past few years, sponsors have walked on many occasions.... even Palmer Tube Mills, Shell and recently Jim Beam who stood by him for years have realized you cannot poor money into a bottomless pit without a decent return.

Sorry to say, his days are numbered, being an "icon" of the sport just does not cut it any more in this modern era.

RIP DJR, go quietly with dignity.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 07:57 (Ref:3213561)   #284
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
Dick's race team is a BUSINESS, why would anyone invest in a failing business?

recently Jim Beam who stood by him for years have realized you cannot poor money into a bottomless pit without a decent return.
I'd say a championship in the era of T8, is a mighty fine return!
Old 3 Mar 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3213573)   #285
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I'd say a championship in the era of T8, is a mighty fine return!
If it was so good and at the time they had Jim Beam sponsorship, why are Jim Beam not supporting this championship winning team?

Possibly the cost out weighs the benefit?
Old 3 Mar 2013, 08:30 (Ref:3213579)   #286
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
If it was so good and at the time they had Jim Beam sponsorship, why are Jim Beam not supporting this championship winning team?

Possibly the cost out weighs the benefit?
Because they got what they paid for and moved on?

Which team are they currently supporting? (Protip, i already know the answer to this question)
Old 3 Mar 2013, 09:04 (Ref:3213602)   #287
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Sounds like Wilson Security & Advam are not continuing past Adelaide...

Will we see Mr Johnson on the teev today, on a hunt for income?
Im a big fan of JB but I have to disagree with him on Archer stepping in. Why should they? Its the teams responsibility to organise their finances, the organising body shouldnt have to prop up struggling teams, its just a band aid solution that in the short term will see Dick looking for someone else to step up and throw some cash their way. It hasnt worked in other series. AFL is different and the history goes a long way back compared to V8s.

I really do not want to see such an iconic team such as DJR fade away but Dick should do the right thing and step back, the time has come for that to happen.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 12:27 (Ref:3214048)   #288
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
even Palmer Tube Mills, Shell and recently Jim Beam who stood by him for years have realized you cannot poor money into a bottomless pit without a decent return.
I would call James Courtney winning the championship in 2010 a decent return... But I also agree that it's taken Junior too long to step aside and it's hurt the time as a result. As much as I have respect for Dick Johnson and the team for what they have achieved the writing must well and truly be on the wall for the team. Excluding Dick, Larry Perkins was probably the last of the "old guard" with an active involvement in V8 Supercars and that ended a couple of years ago.

Larry tinkers with tractors and Unimogs; perhaps Dick can take up geology
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 4 Mar 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3214092)   #289
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
I would call James Courtney winning the championship in 2010 a decent return... But I also agree that it's taken Junior too long to step aside and it's hurt the time as a result. As much as I have respect for Dick Johnson and the team for what they have achieved the writing must well and truly be on the wall for the team. Excluding Dick, Larry Perkins was probably the last of the "old guard" with an active involvement in V8 Supercars and that ended a couple of years ago.

Slightly off topic.....CHATTERS, YOU'RE BACK!!!!
Old 4 Mar 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3214244)   #290
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Mostly agree.. It certainly appears as if Jnr being in the car has cost the team $$$ in the door... which could ultimately be their undoing.

That said I think this weekend was a good example of why Jnr's involvement wasn't an entirely bad thing.... I know Charlie Schwerkolt isn't a fan, but chances are Jnr would have delivered him a better return on investment this weekend than his choice of drive....
Old 5 Mar 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3214410)   #291
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Mostly agree.. It certainly appears as if Jnr being in the car has cost the team $$$ in the door... which could ultimately be their undoing.

That said I think this weekend was a good example of why Jnr's involvement wasn't an entirely bad thing.... I know Charlie Schwerkolt isn't a fan, but chances are Jnr would have delivered him a better return on investment this weekend than his choice of drive....
Absolutely I agree. However with very little testing on the cars themselves, I'm not sure there would have been many people who could have extracted bucketload more speed from those cars...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 5 Mar 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3214579)   #292
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the much publicised trauma, I don't believe anyone thought DJR's Clipsal showing was ever going to be any more than simply making the event. Fiore did them a favour by moving on quickly to an alternative solution.

I wouldn't expect DJR to improve significantly beyond their current offering (inexperienced driver at this level, below average recent seasons (ex-Charlie, Burgess, Courtney), insufficient competition budget).

Suggestions for V8Supercars to step in seem wide of the mark. If anything, those suggesting such may wish to address why some well credentialed business types who have gotten on board in recent years to right the listing ship, have jumped back off again when their attempts to bring prudent practice have been allegedly rebuffed by the creator.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3214731)   #293
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely I agree. However with very little testing on the cars themselves, I'm not sure there would have been many people who could have extracted bucketload more speed from those cars...
Sorry, I was talking about Charlie's car, with Charlie's choice of driver... For a guy that was apparently anti keeping Jnr. In a seat, it’s kind of funny that his choice of driver managed to deliver the unspectacular kind of results we might expect from Jnr.... and ended the weekend in the wall.

I agree though, the DJR things looked like horrible beasts, I don’t think anyone could have magic’d them into quick cars last weekend.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3214772)   #294
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It suggests that their technical alliance with FPR isn't all that strong.

If they were as aligned as stories suggest, perhaps a baseline setup from 5, 6, 18, or 55, would've got them closer to the mid-pack, at best.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3214795)   #295
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It suggests that their technical alliance with FPR isn't all that strong.

If they were as aligned as stories suggest, perhaps a baseline setup from 5, 6, 18, or 55, would've got them closer to the mid-pack, at best.
Only thing is that other than an average performance on track everything else points to Charlie's car being part of a very tight alliance... The FPR website has an article entitled "ALEX DAVISON JOINS FPR FOLD"..... Charlie seems to think he's pretty tight when he references his car as being part of "all four factory Fords will be in the mix from the first race."....
Old 5 Mar 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3214796)   #296
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
For a guy that was apparently anti keeping Jnr. In a seat, it’s kind of funny that his choice of driver.....
Couldn't agree more. Jnr while not brilliant is a solid, experienced guy who will bring home points every time and most likely finish top half of the championship (as he has done for a number of years).

Alex on the other hand seems solid, hardly sparkling and prone to what look like in-experienced errors. (In what part of his mind did he think that Turn 8 move was going to work?)
Old 6 Mar 2013, 01:57 (Ref:3214862)   #297
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well for a bloke who is no good. It seems funny that he out qualified and out scored with more points then the superstar in the 55. Didn't that same superstar put the 55 into the turn 8 wall last year. Or have we all forgotten about that.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 02:45 (Ref:3214874)   #298
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I don’t think it’s anyone is suggesting is Davison is “no good”...... as you rightly point out, he hosed the superstar in the sister car...

Allegedly one of the major issues behind the Schwerkolt/DJR bust up was Jnr. keeping his drive... so the point is less about whether Alex is any good and more about whether keeping Jnr. in the car was as much of a good thing as it was a bad thing.... obviously it’s a bad thing in the respect that Charlie walked, but given results this weekend that suggest Alex’s results are going to be arguably very much within the realms of what Jnr. was capable of, with the potential of a much bigger damage bill, you do have to wonder whether Jnr. driving was ultimately a good thing for the team...

In other words, if you’re squeezed for cash, the guy who can deliver 9th is better than the guy who can deliver 9th with a bent car......

Obviously academic because when you’re paying the bills you can do what you damn well please, but interesting to think about the duality of the situation...
Old 6 Mar 2013, 03:23 (Ref:3214881)   #299
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the wider question would be who was available at the time Charlie wanted Jnr to move on, I would venture to bet they'd be better than Alex D, who I think is still overrated and has had so many chances to prove himself. Maybe Mostert was a risk but I would have rathered see him in the seat.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 03:23 (Ref:3214882)   #300
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
DJR looking for sponsors

...Advam/Wilson Security deal for Clipsal & AGP only...

Interesting quote..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Johnson admitted that DJR had lost direction commercially in the past but he insists structural changes within the team will make it work more efficiently and effectively.

“We’ve lost sight of the fact that 95 per cent of the sponsors want to deal with Dick Johnson,” junior Johnson said.

“We need to get back in and get our hands dirty and take the reins ourselves again.”

“In the past if there was something wrong we were never made aware of it.”

OUCH!

I thought Mr Chalker had left the building... perhaps his spirit lived on