Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 15 Sep 2012, 05:57 (Ref:3136178)   #301
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clubs that sick around with the regs year on year add to competitor's costs. Another reason why grids dwindle.

Entry fees and minutes per £ are meaningless if you have to spend large wads just to keep up with the changes.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3136210)   #302
indigorallye
Racer

England
Cheshire
indigorallye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Luck never came into it, hard work did.
I resent that. I work long, hard hours to try and afford my hobby.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3136217)   #303
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I meant to write "dick" around so apologies for the typo.

Indigo, many of us took out loans to feed our habits so don't take offence. Some folks just haven't lived.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3136220)   #304
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
And being of an age where buying something to live in didn't initially cost you half the national debt of an emerging country?
when I was married a wage of 1200 pa bought a 12k house with interest rates around 10%; now a wage of 25k buys a 250k house, with interest rates of 3%. Who is better off?
Old 15 Sep 2012, 08:56 (Ref:3136221)   #305
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ooh I know. You were, because the values were leaping up the scale so selling and buying was a lot easier than now. Happy days.

Also the percentages don't matter as much as the term of the mortgage and the monthly outlay.

And now, back to the thread.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 09:01 (Ref:3136225)   #306
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
when I was married a wage of 1200 pa bought a 12k house with interest rates around 10%; now a wage of 25k buys a 250k house, with interest rates of 3%. Who is better off?
Exactly, when I bought my first house in 1982 at £17.5K my mortgage was £200 per month with a 16% interest rate, my daughter has just bought a new flat for £130K and her repayments are only about double what I was paying @ 3%. One thing though, a £25K wage wont get a £250K mortgage nowadays, she struggled to get a mortgage and she earns well above that figure.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 13:18 (Ref:3136278)   #307
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And being of an age where buying something to live in didn't initially cost you half the national debt of an emerging country?
The downside of that is that as I'm finding out, being semi-retired doesn't fund a racing budget....and I think if I suggested taking out a mortgage to pay for it I would be..... what's the word?

oh, yes, dead!
Old 15 Sep 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3136283)   #308
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So, now we know that the problem with motor racing is, it costs money? Hmm, never in all my life would I have thought of that one.

So far all this thread has done is pile crap on to organizers. Some of it may well be justified but for goodness' sake, can't we actually look to ourselves? If we don't support a series, can the bloody thing. Let the drivers look elsewhere. It's not the MSA's fault that someone built a car that has nowhere to race.

However there is the 360 but that might be asking drivers to actually do something for themselves.

I think the problem stems from expectation. Someone is convinced that the MSA/BARC/BRSCC and the affiliated clubs, owe them a grid. If so, they are deluded. (IMHO).
Old 15 Sep 2012, 13:31 (Ref:3136286)   #309
simes43
Racer

simes43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Clubs that sick around with the regs year on year add to competitor's costs. Another reason why grids dwindle.

Entry fees and minutes per £ are meaningless if you have to spend large wads just to keep up with the changes.
Spot on! The expense created by the stroke of a pen can be significant, even in the "budget" level championships. I have no problem when the change is made for safety reasons or to replace an unobtainable part, however, the introduction of more expensive parts that improve performance is where the problems really start.

The other significant issue that creates cost way and beyond acceptable levels is the introduction of BTCC driving standards at club level due to the cost of repairing cars because of the Plato effect.

I watched some recent club level in car footage and was shocked by the amount of cars that were fired off by the guy behind so that he or she could make up a position. Four on one lap alone!

Running to the CofC with a cheque book should not be the answer.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 14:01 (Ref:3136295)   #310
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by simes43 View Post
I watched some recent club level in car footage and was shocked by the amount of cars that were fired off by the guy behind so that he or she could make up a position. Four on one lap alone!

Running to the CofC with a cheque book should not be the answer.
Oddly enough, I've just been looking at a Facebook page with that particular issue highlighted.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3136298)   #311
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Agree that CofC's should be enforcing better driving standards....it can be done........

On a brighter note, CSCC seem to be doing something right judging by the grids shown on TSL's Donington results:

Magnificent 7s - split into two grids - 29 and 20 respectively
Tin Tops - 38 in qualifying (can't remember what Donington's max grid is)
CNC Sports and Saloons - 36 in qualifying
Bernie's V8s (combined with Detche Marque) - 34 - 17 of each, I think.
Jaguars - 24

CSCC 40 minute races are £365, Jags (2 x 20 minute) £355.

And I believe that tomorrow's grids are likely to be pretty good, too
Old 15 Sep 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3136303)   #312
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think the CSCC and the HSCC both support my point that dicking with the regs does nothing for the club. They both have stable rules that allow the drivers to plan their season.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3136365)   #313
indigorallye
Racer

England
Cheshire
Max for Donnington today was 36.
Tin Tops had three reserves, would have been four if I wasn't working (too pay for racing!)
Tin Tops is also a series rather than a championship, I wonder if there is any relevance there.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3136378)   #314
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorallye View Post
Tin Tops had three reserves, would have been four if I wasn't working (too pay for racing!)
Tin Tops is also a series rather than a championship, I wonder if there is any relevance there.
Just saw from TSL results that it was 36......

but 8 none-finishers - including MMCAndy who retired after one slow lap....

Not sure of the Series versus Championship....I would imagine a Championship makes you more inclined to do all rounds , whereas with a Series you are perhaps more likely to cherry pick? Though in my experience with CSCC the core competitors do most rounds, there are certainly quite a few who only do odd ones.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3136396)   #315
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The downside of that is that as I'm finding out, being semi-retired doesn't fund a racing budget
Exactly,I found that out a while back and there is a life outside of motor racing !
Mind you it took me a bit more than 40 years and probably the cost of a few houses to realise it !! but I would do it all again
Anyway you can't take your money with you when you snuff it so you might as well spend it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Sep 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3136403)   #316
indigorallye
Racer

England
Cheshire
Richard, I'd be inclined to agree re the championship v series, but they are obviously doing something right.
I am one of the few who dips in and out, but that's down to the fact that I can't be away from home. So it's 'northern' events only for me.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3136424)   #317
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting fact.
10,000 people are packed into Skegness stadium this evening for the F1 Stockcar world final.
Look like they know a thing or two erh?
Old 15 Sep 2012, 17:47 (Ref:3136443)   #318
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
there is a life outside of motor racing !
Burn the heretic!
Old 15 Sep 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3136451)   #319
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Agree that CofC's should be enforcing better driving standards....it can be done........
More importantly, perhaps, is that they should be seen to be enforcing better driving standards.

Quote:
On a brighter note, CSCC seem to be doing something right judging by the grids shown on TSL's Donington results:
Maybe not unrelated to driving standards?

As a marshal I want to see good clean, close racing. If I can get through a meeting without one written report I'm happy; on the other hand if I do have to do written reports I want to feel that I'm not wasting my time. . . haven't done a BTCC meeting for a long time. . .
Old 15 Sep 2012, 19:51 (Ref:3136493)   #320
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
Interesting fact.
10,000 people are packed into Skegness stadium this evening for the F1 Stockcar world final.
Look like they know a thing or two erh?
There might be 10,000 at Skegvagas but they all aren't happy with the support formulae.£30 to watch F1's and stoxcarts.They have got the crowd in but sold the punters short on the programme.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3136589)   #321
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I resent that. I work long, hard hours to try and afford my hobby.
resent away you were the one thap quipped i was lucky, as though i was born with a silver spoon or something when nothing could be either from the truth.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3136595)   #322
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
oh you mean in the same period when the national minimum wage was around £25 a week. Its all relative my friend all relative.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 23:18 (Ref:3136598)   #323
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Just as well you saved your money then as you wouldn't have got a race. The last reserve was allowed to take the green flag lap but refused to pull off when no one dropped out so the race was immediately red flagged and the offender sent to the clerk for what one would assume would be some severe punishment.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3136599)   #324
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think the CSCC and the HSCC both support my point that dicking with the regs does nothing for the club. They both have stable rules that allow the drivers to plan their season.
with respect to CSCC as I like them as a club but they don't really have many regs to.dick about with.
Old 16 Sep 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3136645)   #325
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I have made that point elsewhere, however it is a good example of a club running series, rather than championships and getting consistently good grids. You might also add the HRDC to that list.