Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Nov 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2344019)   #301
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
And yet the worlds smartest people once believed the world was flat too.
Oh come on wally, you dont do you?
Old 29 Nov 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2344036)   #302
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems I have a clue. If I followed your logic I would still not believe we landed on the moon either and would that the government blew up the twin towers and the levies.

Last edited by Hugewally; 29 Nov 2008 at 23:00.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2344046)   #303
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Isn't it logical that a new LMP would be a Toyota engined Dome in '09/10, but any full factory effort would be when the new regs start in 2011.
why make such a distinction?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 02:01 (Ref:2344080)   #304
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I grow and manage over 5000 acres of trees. Am a very strong environmentalist. But just dont believe the BS that the media and governments play on ppl just to control them with fear.

and as you ask for respect then how about for those of us who don't believe the poor research that has been published?

The sky is not falling.
you and i debated this at length, and i'm not going to drag that issue out again. however i think the thomas homer dixon argument regarding the energy consumption of a civilization also has a great deal of merit.

back to the issue at hand:

i don't think that toyota will enter the LMP ranks. i think they probably have done the math, looked at the current economic situation, and decided that it was an $80 million they could have used elsewhere. they may have already invested a lot, but i think that would fall under the concept of "sunk cost".

this rather leaves dome out in the cold, since they apparently don't want to sell that coupe to customers (unfortunately)...
Old 30 Nov 2008, 07:11 (Ref:2344118)   #305
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I grow and manage over 5000 acres of trees. Am a very strong environmentalist. But just dont believe the BS that the media and governments play on ppl just to control them with fear.

and as you ask for respect then how about for those of us who don't believe the poor research that has been published?

The sky is not falling.
There is poor research done about a lot of things. I'm certainly dubious about anything governments say, I've long since lost all faith in them.

But figuring it out for yourself using basic science isn't difficult - we humans are a filthy species, and weather you believe the 'sky is falling' or not, there is a heck of a lot we could do to clean ourselves up. We owe it to ourselves and the land upon which we live.

I'm currently reading a couple of books which paint intriguing pictures - High Tide by Mark Lynas and The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. They ignore the governments statements and go straight to the experts, and their own findings (in very different ways, but both interesting). That, however, is off-topic.

Hybrid technology is a good start - it needs to go much, much further, with a nice minimum noise limit for us real fans (), but it surely should be welcomed and encouraged.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2344257)   #306
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob, Move on. You asked me for your respect, and I asked you the same.

If you want to take it off line or OT that is different.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 15:20 (Ref:2344260)   #307
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
why make such a distinction?
A Toyota engined Dome would be a toe in the water exercise, much like previous deals, such as Nissan engined Courages, rather than the full factory GT-ONE program.

Such a program is unlikely to challenge Audi or Peugeot for an overall win.

That being the case, Toyota/Dome would need an all new car/engine package, introducing that in 2011 would make most sense, similar to how Oreca have decided to delay their new car until the future regs were clear.

In other words Toyota can afford to be cautious for another 12-18 months.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2344984)   #308
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting report on DSC of the Audi R15, if I may quote DSC:

Audi’s motorsport programme is recognised by the company as a key factor in its overall success, but it is clear that the available funds are going to be targeted at areas that bring the largest return on investment; "We know just how important motorsport is for the success of the brand," said Michael Dick, Chairman of the Board for Technical Development. "Therefore, it goes without saying that Audi must also be present on the race track in economically hard times. It is all the more important for us to enter a motorsport category in which the cost-benefit calculation is positive."

Toyota should perhaps spend less on F1 and more on this programme?
Old 1 Dec 2008, 16:07 (Ref:2344994)   #309
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their NASCAR programme too.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2345013)   #310
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Their NASCAR programme too.
I assume Toyota get a decent return from NASCAR, being race winners and up against 2 (3?) other manufacturer's.

In F1 Toyota are also rans, the odd podium at best, they certainly don't have the ROCK SOLID reputation Audi have gained from Le Mans. In fact Toyota are likely still better known for their WRC exploits with Sainz and Kankunnen.

Toyota's sporting heritage is built on sportscar and rally program's, push against that, as Jaguar did, can only lead to bad things.

Last edited by JAG; 1 Dec 2008 at 16:37.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2345021)   #311
zac510
Veteran

You do have to wonder what is better value:

$400m F1

or
$100m Rallying
$100m Sportscars
$50m Touring Cars
$150m distributed for country-specific racing programs, privateer support, etc eg btcc.

Give or take a bit on the amounts, of course.

We're not really in a good position to judge, we're enthusiasts and probably follow at least one or all of the disciplines in the second option above. So we'd watch anyway. Of these disciplines what's the total worldwide coverage compared to F1? Let's face it, Toyota are primarily in for marketing coverage.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2345094)   #312
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
You do have to wonder what is better value:

$400m F1

or
$100m Rallying
$100m Sportscars
$50m Touring Cars
$150m distributed for country-specific racing programs, privateer support, etc eg btcc.

Give or take a bit on the amounts, of course.

We're not really in a good position to judge, we're enthusiasts and probably follow at least one or all of the disciplines in the second option above. So we'd watch anyway. Of these disciplines what's the total worldwide coverage compared to F1? Let's face it, Toyota are primarily in for marketing coverage.
I am convinced it's option B.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2345099)   #313
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Especially:
Quote:
$150m distributed for country-specific racing programs, privateer support, etc eg btcc
There is a lot of marketing to make there, if you do it right!
Old 1 Dec 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2345119)   #314
zac510
Veteran

The final option would cover stuff in maybe 20 of Toyota's biggest countries! It's very broad! but I could think of any other legal way to spend $150 mill
Old 26 Jan 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2379477)   #315
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
According to Best Car magazine(Japanese automobile gossip magazine), the engine that Toyota is developing for Le man is 3.5-3.7 liters V10 engine(hybrids).
However, there was no article on the Le Mans participation.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2379482)   #316
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Why would they build an engine when the cap is 3.4 ?
Old 26 Jan 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2379483)   #317
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Isnt it 3.4 litre max ?
Old 26 Jan 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2379486)   #318
The Badger
Veteran

Sorry , double post .
Old 26 Jan 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2379487)   #319
The Badger
Veteran

Sorry , double post !!!
Old 26 Jan 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2379488)   #320
The Badger
Veteran

Sorry , my pc is playing up !!!
Old 26 Jan 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2379489)   #321
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Sorry , my pc is playing up !!!
Can some mod please delete these last posts ..... I got a PC glitch somewhere !!! Sorry .
Old 26 Jan 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2379522)   #322
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, what you say is certainly correct.
I might have misundersood it because I only browsed that book in a bookstore.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 14:11 (Ref:2379627)   #323
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai
According to Best Car magazine(Japanese automobile gossip magazine), the engine that Toyota is developing for Le man is 3.5-3.7 liters V10 engine(hybrids).
However, there was no article on the Le Mans participation.
Hmm does this mean that we will first see a Dome with Toyota engine?, then later a Toyota with Dome developed chassis?
Old 26 Jan 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2379735)   #324
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai
Yes, what you say is certainly correct.
I might have misundersood it because I only browsed that book in a bookstore.
how reliable is best car when it comes to race news? i remember they always have tons of shiney pictures of future street cars, but rather limited race coverage...
Old 28 Jan 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2381276)   #325
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Best Car is a gossip magazine that should be loved.
It is a magazine laughed to say that Best Car is a news source at.
However, this magazine did the news of the FIA-GT specification car of Nissan and the scoop was done first.