Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 May 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2690974)   #301
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a shame for undoz... I wonder if anyone here or at CA needs a Houx ticket?
Old 15 May 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2690989)   #302
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Dani I hope you at least get your money back, and i am sorry for anyone who's hopes are dashed so close to the event lets hope undoz makes it next year. In four weeks we will all be there and the race will have been on for 4 hours
Old 15 May 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2691101)   #303
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Come on now, don't wish it away - it'll be here soon enough!
Old 17 May 2010, 21:25 (Ref:2692858)   #304
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Guys

I am all but complete for my trip in just under 1 month's time.
I am missing 1 last accessory and where better to ask advice

I believe I need one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/European-Cam...4131226&sr=8-2

Is this the right sort of thing I will need to hook up at the campsite (Houx)?

If so then great if not please point me in the right direction to the right item, and I will buy you a beer if you are at Le Mans!
Old 18 May 2010, 07:20 (Ref:2693086)   #305
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblood View Post
Hi Guys

I am all but complete for my trip in just under 1 month's time.
I am missing 1 last accessory and where better to ask advice

I believe I need one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/European-Cam...4131226&sr=8-2

Is this the right sort of thing I will need to hook up at the campsite (Houx)?

If so then great if not please point me in the right direction to the right item, and I will buy you a beer if you are at Le Mans!
That will do the trick but looks expensive
Old 18 May 2010, 07:38 (Ref:2693095)   #306
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
That will do the trick but looks expensive
Excellent cheers, I thought it looked a touch expensive but was the only one of it's type I could find (so far).
Will probably get it to save further hassle
Old 18 May 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2693135)   #307
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you have a caravan lead all you need is one of these beauties!

http://www.towsure.com/product/349-C...Converter_Lead

HTH.
Old 18 May 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2693182)   #308
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
If you have a caravan lead all you need is one of these beauties!

http://www.towsure.com/product/349-C...Converter_Lead

HTH.
Haven't got a caravan but that looks just the ticket! Thanks for the find
Old 18 May 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2693404)   #309
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
New Official Website

Reposting on 'General' thread...........my bad!
Old 25 May 2010, 03:12 (Ref:2697583)   #310
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In about 2 weeks, I will attend my first 24 Heures du Mans. It wasn't a spur of the moment decision.

I was just 16 years old in 1970 when ABC's Wide World of Sports first broadcast some of the race live in the U.S. I don't have a specific memory of that broadcast, but that was one of my favorite shows and I'm sure that broadcast was what first kindled my interest in Le Mans.

My next memory of Le Mans is 1974. I was a 20-year old foreign exchange student living with a French family in Blois (about 80 miles SE of Le Mans). The father of my French family, Paul, loved to take me and his family on Sunday drives to interesting places in the region. One Sunday we loaded up his Renault 4 and drove all the way to Le Mans. We drove on the public roads that make up most of Le Circuit de la Sarthe and I think we visited some part of the closed track. Anyway, I was impressed and I vowed to come back for the race someday.

The next year, I went back to France as a student, but I wasn't there in June for the race. I didn't return to France for 18 years, until 1993 when I rekindled my love affair with the country, its language and its people. Since then I have traveled to France a dozen times or so, but never at the right time to catch the race.

In recent years, one thing that kept me from planning a trip to the race was a conflict with the F1 race in Montreal. Depending on the year, Le Mans and Montreal usually take place a week apart. I attended the Montreal GP in 1995 and then each year from 2000-2008. Though it wasn't so much a love of F1 that kept me coming back to Montreal, as much as a love of Montreal itself.

Despite my devotion to Montreal's race weekend, my interest in Le Mans grew along with the extensive live coverage of the race on the Speed channel. I read a lot about the race (here and elsewhere on the Web) and started collecting 1/43 scale models of famous Le Mans cars. I also remember being in Paris in mid May of 2001 and seeing a giant ad poster for the race (featuring a Bentley) and thinking to myself: "I have to go there."

In 2009, when Bernie Ecclestone tried to blackmail the city of Montreal and then took away its race, I should have planned a trip to Le Mans. But it didn't happen. Of course, Bernie eventually had to eat crow and give the race back to one of F1's best host cities.

In January, I was ready to plan a return trip to Montreal. Then one snowy day in February, I suddenly changed my mind. I decided that I had postponed my pilgrimage to Le Mans long enough. The hell with Bernie and F1--I could always go back to Montreal easily enough in the future. This is the year of Le Mans. I joined the ACO and ordered my tickets directly from the ticket office.

I leave for Europe May 31. I plan to spend several days with a friend in Germany where we'll make a lesser pilgrimage to visit the Mercedes and Porsche museums in Stuttgart. Then I head for Blois to visit members of my French "family" for a few days during the week before the race. Unfortunately Paul, my French "father" and the man who introduced me to Le Mans, is no longer with us. Too bad, because I would have loved to go to the race with him.

I move to Paris on Thursday of the race weekend where I will be joined by my friend from Germany. We'll stay in a hotel next to the Gare Monparnasse and commute back and forth to Le Mans on the TGV Friday, Saturday and Sunday (train reservations made online through Raileurope.com).

So there it is, a dream some 40 years in the making. I'm pretty sure that it will prove to be one worth waiting to fulfill.
Old 25 May 2010, 05:12 (Ref:2697603)   #311
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Super post Bob - and there is no doubt to me that you've made the right choice. I'm sure you're going to have a fantastic time - and you can raise a glass to your 'père' in the right spirit! Make sure you join us for the Ten Tenths meet!
Old 25 May 2010, 06:23 (Ref:2697615)   #312
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quite uncanny, Bob. Your "relationship" with the race closely follows my own, although mine began with a newspaper headline in 1955 and my interest in F1 began to wane around 1970. Following a visit to the city on holiday in 1973, I finally made it to the race in 1985 and haven't looked back since!

It's great that you will finally make it to the race. Life will never be the same again.

Have a great time.
Old 25 May 2010, 07:27 (Ref:2697640)   #313
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Bob, go with eyes wide open, assume nothing, go with the flow - and drink in the atmosphere of the greatest race in the world!!!! The wait will have been worth it!
Old 25 May 2010, 08:11 (Ref:2697657)   #314
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great post Bob! If you can get yourself to the start/finish line for the race start, and watch and listen those 55 machines roar by, it will make your long wait all seem worth it. Do come along to our meeting as well! I didn't really know anyone when I first went to Le Mans last year but everyone was really nice!
Old 25 May 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2697670)   #315
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Great post Bob! If you can get yourself to the start/finish line for the race start, and watch and listen those 55 machines roar by, it will make your long wait all seem worth it. Do come along to our meeting as well! I didn't really know anyone when I first went to Le Mans last year but everyone was really nice!
That just sent a tingle of real excitement down my spine! A little over two weeks to go.

Bob, really, your life will be forever changed, it touches you in ways no other race can. We call it Le Mansitus
Old 25 May 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2697686)   #316
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'm off to France in 2 weeks

Ciao Marco
Old 25 May 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2697751)   #317
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
That just sent a tingle of real excitement down my spine! A little over two weeks to go.

Bob, really, your life will be forever changed, it touches you in ways no other race can. We call it Le Mansitus
And once you catch it there is no cure.

For the start the main straight will be packed and unless you get there in plenty of time your view will be not that great, I suggest you head up towards the dunlop bridge the first action starts there as the cars are all together and the noise deafening, and they all have to negogiate the first series of bends. You will never see 55 cars all trying to get through at the same time again.
Old 25 May 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2697788)   #318
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
For the start the main straight will be packed and unless you get there in plenty of time your view will be not that great, I suggest you head up towards the dunlop bridge the first action starts there as the cars are all together and the noise deafening, and they all have to negogiate the first series of bends. You will never see 55 cars all trying to get through at the same time again.
Sadly you don't even see 55 cars trying to get through on the first lap, the Diesels will be going through there as the GT2 cars cross the start line! The nearer the start you are the better the sights and sounds are.
But in realilty it doesn't matter where you are at the circuit, it will be fantastic! And those who didn't go this year will be regretting it like mad as they watch it on TV or listen to RLM.
Old 25 May 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2697793)   #319
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Personally I love the start out at Arnage; the peace and quiet of a little campsite in rural France suddenly shattered as if Mt St Helens had just erupted. You can hear the cars screaming towards you for miles and the burst of noise as they finally emerge from behind the trees is spectacular.

Erm, yes, despite not planning to as late as a few weeks ago, I will be back at Le Mans this summer. My seventh visit and, with a kid on the way, quite possibly my last for some time. It's my first visit since 2007 and my first visit to a race anywhere in two years. If the weather is anything like it has been this weekend I can't wait!!
Old 25 May 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2697822)   #320
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
tonight in two weeks time we will be in our way, arrival wednesday early in the morning!
We will be at Houx again this year.
Old 25 May 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2697942)   #321
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Personally I love the start out at Arnage; the peace and quiet of a little campsite in rural France suddenly shattered as if Mt St Helens had just erupted. You can hear the cars screaming towards you for miles and the burst of noise as they finally emerge from behind the trees is spectacular.

Erm, yes, despite not planning to as late as a few weeks ago, I will be back at Le Mans this summer. My seventh visit and, with a kid on the way, quite possibly my last for some time. It's my first visit since 2007 and my first visit to a race anywhere in two years. If the weather is anything like it has been this weekend I can't wait!!
The arrival of children should not be seen as a hindrance, but a future opportunity. On my first visit to the race, my children were six, three and one. All three have since visited the race - the one year old - now twenty-six, will be driving me there this year, but, sadly, I haven't yet persuaded my wife to join us.
Old 25 May 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2698010)   #322
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Another irritating new-to-le-mans question before i panic myself over it.
Anyone got any idea how much electric cable length you need for houx? We have just over 25m and I'd like to think that's enough but I'm dreading getting there and finding myself too short. Any ideas?
Old 25 May 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2698056)   #323
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblood View Post
Another irritating new-to-le-mans question before i panic myself over it.
Anyone got any idea how much electric cable length you need for houx? We have just over 25m and I'd like to think that's enough but I'm dreading getting there and finding myself too short. Any ideas?
Speedblood - have a look at post 96 (on page 7) and replies here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116526

Hope that helps.
Old 25 May 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2698064)   #324
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
Speedblood - have a look at post 96 (on page 7) and replies here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116526

Hope that helps.
How did I miss that....

Thanks very much
Old 25 May 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2698071)   #325
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
The arrival of children should not be seen as a hindrance, but a future opportunity. On my first visit to the race, my children were six, three and one. All three have since visited the race - the one year old - now twenty-six, will be driving me there this year, but, sadly, I haven't yet persuaded my wife to join us.
Most definately not a hinderance at all... we are thinking of calling him Tom but I guess that depends who wins this year